• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
Meanwhile Max has a jetski in RBR livery...
13765957_1112699188776569_6619205454545566942_o.jpg

While RIC has a non branded bike...
13693009_1112699222109899_7531798487549393914_o.jpg

Webber'd already.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Are there restrictions on what they can do on their off time?
I know some Moto GP riders get injured while dirt biking.

Also, new Alt+F1

haha, beaten.

Zeknurn

https://adamcooperf1.com/2016/07/21/fia-issues-f1-teams-with-new-radio-restrictions/

The FIA has amended the instructions on the use of radio messages by F1 teams following the controversy at the British GP.

One area has been relaxed, as restrictions now apply when the car is out of the pitlane, rather than the garage, so discussions while the car is driving through the pitlane are now free.

However there are now stricter guidelines on discussion of problems, which must now lead to a pit stop where the issue can be addressed.

Here are the key changes, with the first referring to when the restrictions apply, and the others to what the restrictions now cover.

Old: At all times the car is out of the garage with the engine running and the driver on board (with the exception of any time the car is in the pit lane on the day of the race prior to or between reconnaissance laps). This includes all in laps.

New: At all times the car is out of the pit lane with the engine running and the driver on board (with the exception of the slowing down lap once the driver has crossed the line at the end of the race).

Old: Indication of a critical problem with the car, any message of this sort may only be used if failure of a component or system is imminent and potentially terminal.

New: Indication of a problem with the car, any message of this sort must include an irreversible instruction to enter the pits to rectify the problem or to retire the car.

Old: Information concerning damage to the car.

New: Information concerning damage to the bodywork of the car.

Old: Instructions to select driver defaults for the sole purpose of mitigating loss of function of a sensor, actuator or controller whose degradation or failure was not detected and handled by the on-board software. In accordance with Article 8.2.4, any new setting chosen in this way must not enhance the performance of the car beyond that prior to the loss of function.

New: Instructions to select driver defaults, this must be for the sole purpose of mitigating loss of function of a sensor, actuator or controller whose degradation or failure was not detected and handled by the onboard software. It will be the responsibility of any team giving any such instruction to satisfy the FIA technical delegate that this was the case and that any new setting chosen in this way did not enhance the performance of the car beyond that prior to the loss of function.

DieH@rd

Banned
On tracks that have faster drive-trough time than driving on regular track, I expect that many drivers will find themselves in dire situations that will force them to have many many many visits to pit lane. ;)

Zaru

On tracks that have faster drive-trough time than driving on regular track, I expect that many drivers will find themselves in dire situations that will force them to have many many many visits to pit lane. ;)

Is there actually a track where this would be faster?

DD

What are you guys talking about? They'd still have to use the speed limiter.

But I wonder if the driver is obliged to obey the order telling them to come to the pits after the instructions.

DieH@rd

Banned
What are you guys talking about? They'd still have to use the speed limiter.

On one of the recent race broadcast, Martin Brundle clearly mentioned several times that going through the pits (with stoppage) is faster than going full speed on the track. I don't recall what race that was.

DBT85

On one of the recent race broadcast, Martin Brundle clearly mentioned several times that going through the pits (with stoppage) is faster than going full speed on the track. I don't recall what race that was.

No, what he said was that at Silverstone the run into the pits puts you over the timing line earlier than if you go around the circuit because its much shorter. After that you're still trundling along like a slowpoke so those on track will overtake.

It still faster to go around the track, otherwise everyone would go through the pits every lap.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Good. The drive-through option in particular is very interesting. Happy with that.

I kind of like it too. Gives the drivers a chance to come in, have troubleshooting conversations at a slower pace, then go out and get to racing.

mclem

I kind of like it too. Gives the drivers a chance to come in, have troubleshooting conversations at a slower pace, then go out and get to racing.

Conceptually, I like it, but there's a couple of scenarios that might make this interestingly awkward:

* Would we see penalties of a "You started discussing the problem before the driver crossed the pit lane limiter line" nature?

* Does the pit-lane speed rule also define a *lower* limit? Might we see someone crawling trying to get sufficient understanding of the issue before they run out of pit? Would someone behind them be unfairly impeded?

Zaru

Conceptually, I like it, but there's a couple of scenarios that might make this interestingly awkward:

* Would we see penalties of a "You started discussing the problem before the driver crossed the pit lane limiter line" nature?

* Does the pit-lane speed rule also define a *lower* limit? Might we see someone crawling trying to get sufficient understanding of the issue before they run out of pit? Would someone behind them be unfairly impeded?

I tried finding regulations on this and found this official regulation gem:

Any team whose driver exceeds the pit-lane speed limit during any practice session will be fined €100 for each km/h above the limit, up to a maximum of €1000. Speeding in the pit lane during the race will incur a time or driver-through penalty.

As if that kind of money mattered at all compared to time penalties

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They've changed 'problem with the car' to 'problem with bodywork'. So they can't warn of brake temps being critical? Could they do that before?

Chris R

They've changed 'problem with the car' to 'problem with bodywork'. So they can't earn of brake temps being critical? Could they do that before?

"Nico, we've had a winglet fail on the front of the car. Instead of redirecting airflow towards your brakes it is now preventing air from reaching them. Make whatever you want of that info."

tomtom94

The idea that the driver can be aware of everything wrong with the car and plan accordingly is a romantic one, but a completely pig-headed one.

AndyD

aka andydumi
As if that kind of money mattered at all compared to time penalties

Practice vs. race. If they were to cause an accident I imagine there's some sort of penalty they can apply.

Good point on the low end. Don't see why that would be the case though, we see pit passing now.

Yeay! One more thing to hinder the on track excitement that is completely obscured from the spectators and only further muddies the waters of the already exceptionally convoluted rules that govern F1. Throw odd even parking in there for the fuck of it. If anyone is on the wrong side of the paddock, their shit gets towed.

Anyone catch the start of the paddock show just now on Sky Sports F1 with Nico? He looked mightily pissed at Ted about the radio situation at Silverstone and was basically saying to him, 'come on, lets go, pull it out of the bag'?

I get the feeling Nico's tensions are starting to boil over with the UK press.

NHale

but they were being unfair to Lewis

Did he really whine at Silverstone too? Because at Austria, Ted was having a meltdown by saying "Mercedes are being very very very mean to Lewis", "Surely they have to pit Nico, it's not fair!", "Why didn't Mercedes give Lewis more than 1 lap to undercut Nico? It doesn't seem fair Crofty!". He then proceded to take his in-race meltdown to after race interviews with Toto and Lauda.

hamchan

Anyone catch the start of the paddock show just now on Sky Sports F1 with Nico? He looked mightily pissed at Ted about the radio situation at Silverstone and was basically saying to him, 'come on, lets go, pull it out of the bag'?

I get the feeling Nico's tensions are starting to boil over with the UK press.

If I were Nico I sure wouldn't want to talk to these cunts. Give them short, curt, one sentence answers because that's all they deserve.

Zeknurn

AMuS Charlie Whiting and team principals in talks to tweak Safety Car start regulations in order to have a standing start in every race

Summary by Moctecus on /r/formula1
  • two Safety Car starts already this season because of too much standing water on the track
  • Safety Car starts disappointing for everyone involved, especially for the fans
  • Charlie Whiting is playing it safe in wet conditions since Bianchi's accident
  • the track won't be declared ready for racing until Bernd Mayländer and enough drivers say conditions allow for racing speeds
  • new proposal aims to guarantee safety while giving the fans the spectacle of regular standing starts
  • The proposal: If the conditions don't allow for a normal start the race will be started behind the Safety Car. Once conditions have improved sufficiently the SC comes in and cars go into formation on the grid. They will then have a regular standing start. Laps behind the SC will count towards the race distance and tyre changes are not allowed before the first lap at racing speeds.
  • proposal will be discussed by Whiting and the team managers in Hockenheim
  • if it successfully passes votes in the various regulatory instances the proposal could be implemented for 2017

tomtom94

If they continue with the very conservative estimates of what constitutes safe racing conditions (which is the real problem) that'll just make things even more ridiculous, though, the majority of the field will dive into the pits at the end of the first lap for inters.

Good example of a safety car start done right is 2007 Fuji IMO.

DieH@rd

Banned
AMuS Charlie Whiting and team principals in talks to tweak Safety Car start regulations in order to have a standing start in every race

• two Safety Car starts already this season because of too much standing water on the track
  • Safety Car starts disappointing for everyone involved, especially for the fans
  • the track won't be declared ready for racing until Bernd Mayländer and enough drivers say conditions allow for racing speeds
  • new proposal aims to guarantee safety while giving the fans the spectacle of regular standing starts
  • The proposal: If the conditions don't allow for a normal start the race will be started behind the Safety Car. Once conditions have improved sufficiently the SC comes in and cars go into formation on the grid. They will then have a regular standing start. Laps behind the SC will count towards the race distance and tyre changes are not allowed before the first lap at racing speeds.
  • if it successfully passes votes in the various regulatory instances the proposal could be implemented for 2017

That's actually not bad. Sure, few laps will be pointless to watch, but at least there will be fun afterwards.

Zaru

I understand the safety car trigger happiness of Whiting when it comes to rain after the Bianchi incident, but I'll miss absurd incidents like this

YJ1k2Qf.png

(That corner took half a dozen cars before the red flag and restart)

Then again, that corner in Silverstone would have looked similar had it not been for the generous asphalt runoff.

Ya know what fuck it, in the name of safety just change starts from standing to rolling all around.

andshrew

That all seems a bit unnecessary.

For me the point of the safety car start is to avoid the first corner pile up costing 1/4 of the field, and then bringing out a safety car anyway. Do a couple of laps to let them get a feel for the conditions then let them race.

If it's so wet to the point they can't safely go racing after a few laps they should delay the start.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
The proposal: If the conditions don't allow for a normal start the race will be started behind the Safety Car. Once conditions have improved sufficiently the SC comes in and cars go into formation on the grid. They will then have a regular standing start. Laps behind the SC will count towards the race distance and tyre changes are not allowed before the first lap at racing speeds.

This is how they should have done it from the very beginning. It's fine to take the cars on a few laps to remove standing water. But once that issue is solved, there is no reason to not do a proper start.

Zeknurn

@reussierer
+++BREAKING+++ according to our Info, Nico Rosberg signed new two-year-contract with Mercedes. Full story soon @BILD.

Vettel will have to start looking at that Hamilton seat if he wants to stop wasting his time at Ferrari.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom