• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Loads of british fans there.

I can;t fathom why they might boo a) a german, b) a british drivers team mate and title challenger. Its a mystery.

Yes. It's always been a mystery to me. Let's automatically root for those born on the same patch of land as us, and if they have a rival from another patch of land, let's boo them.

I don't subscribe to silly things like Patriotism or Xenophobia. We're all humans, after all.

Cheated? It's in the rules and has allowed both mclaren, red bull and ferrari significant leeway in the past. The fact he was even in this position following the early season fuckery is a better descriptor of the sport.

Can't believe Vers was never investigated. That is a complete joke.

Max-"I'm just defending my position. If someone doesn't like it, it's their problem."
Hes gunna cause an enormous crash at some point & catch a 1 race ban.
I havnt seen a frontrunner defend like that in ages, Max drives like the hellspawn of Schumacher & Nelson Piquet sr.

nemesun

Yes. It's always been a mystery to me. Let's automatically root for those born on the same patch of land as us, and if they have a rival from another patch of land, let's boo them.

I don't subscribe to silly things like Patriotism or Xenophobia. We're all humans, after all.
This is some eye rolling stuff.. How could people root for their own countrymen... We should just scrap Olympics and World Cup altogether while we're at it.

Aiii

So not worth it

Sports are more fun when you have someone or something to root for. Rooting for the home team is only logical. I am a bit puzzled by people that can't grasp the concept, to be honest.

Mastah

Max-"I'm just defending my position. If someone doesn't like it, it's their problem."
I havnt seen a frontrunner defend like that in ages, Max drives like the hellspawn of Schumacher & Nelson Piquet sr.

Beautiful "defending" there:

XPB_835987_HiRes.jpg

And then he made the same "defence" to Perez.

I've never really understood why people do this without a thought, either.

Do British soccer fans support the teams with the most British players?

Still comes to location. Londoners by and large support London teams.

People support sports teams from their own schools etc.

Not really that difficult to comprehend.

Watching the replay of the start: that was Kimi's corner, Max literally had no business trying to come up the inside. Kimi's wheel was at the top of the apex of that kerb, Max wouldve had to go off the track to have fully gone up the inside. That collision wasnt Seb's fault.

Spades

Still comes to location. Londoners by and large support London teams.

People support sports teams from their own schools etc.

Not really that difficult to comprehend.

By that logic, British fans should all support Williams and whatever drivers they have; regardless of nationality.

DBT85

By that logic, British fans should all support Williams and whatever drivers they have; regardless of nationality.

You support who you support, and cheer and boo, sing songs etc accordingly.

That affiliation doesn't always make sense, but it exists.

I'm super impressed by Lewis this season. He's overhauled Rosberg's huge lead, extended it, taken penalties and is still 9 points ahead.

Does he have any more engine fixes and then penalties to take?

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
This is some eye rolling stuff.. How could people root for their own countrymen... We should just scrap Olympics and World Cup altogether while we're at it.

No. I do love the Olympics. I like watching the best people from around the world compete in their chosen disciplines. I enjoyed watching Michael Phelps break a 2000+ year old record despite having only set foot in America for two hours when I crossed the border at Niagra falls. Sporting excellence and athletes of all nationalities competing. That's what the Olympics are all about. Where the athletes are from is of no importance to me.

You may find that eye rolling. Again, I find things like Patriotism and passive Xenophobia to be worthy of an eye roll.

Sports are more fun when you have someone or something to root for. Rooting for the home team is only logical. I am a bit puzzled by people that can't grasp the concept, to be honest.

I do find people to root for, but I don't like the idea of supporting someone based on something they have/had no control over, such as where they're born.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Just finished watching the race on replay. A well-deserved zero points for Verstappen.

Zeknurn

If it were up to me all the drivers would be forced to compete for the country they currently reside in. That would open up the eyes of everyone cheering on particular drivers because of national pride.

nekkid

If it were up to me all the drivers would be forced to compete for the country they currently reside in. That would open up the eyes of everyone cheering on particular drivers because of national pride.

So it would be Monaco vs Monaco vs Monaco vs Monaco vs...

And not restricted to F1 we'd be cheering on the USA's Andy Murray and Mo Farrah.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Watching the replay of the start: that was Kimi's corner, Max literally had no business trying to come up the inside. Kimi's wheel was at the top of the apex of that kerb, Max wouldve had to go off the track to have fully gone up the inside. That collision wasnt Seb's fault.

Its the first corner at the start - common sense says to take it easy and avoid confrontation. Max was committed to the inside and kimi was giving just enough room while keeping him tight so kimi would have a better run out of the corner.

And then vettel just cuts straight across him. Entirely Vettel's fault - he had tons of space to run around the outside

nekkid

Well even if the red and white flag was shown in sure people would still see through it. It would make no difference to allegiances.

I mean shit, I know people who support the Dallas Cowboys because they have a current British player.

Zeknurn

Max said to RTL that he made that move against Kimi kinda deliberately because Kimi fucked his race at the start, lol

And he said this to Dutch TV “I’d rather drive them off the track then let them go in front of me”

I don't understand how anyone can root for him.

Edit: At least there's some good news following this race:

Tobi Grüner @tgruener
Looks like Magnussen will be able to drive at Monza. No broken bones or cuts. Just a few painful bruises. #AMuS #BelgianGP

s_mirage

Yeah, he's an exciting drive to watch, but I can't help worrying that he's eventually going to cause a massive high speed shunt and someone's going to get hurt.

Lego Boss

And he said this to Dutch TV “I’d rather drive them off the track then let them go in front of me”

Edit: At least there's some good news following this race:

Surely he should be called out by the stewards for that dumb ass move at the beginning?

Saying stuff like that after dive bombing just makes him look like a PlayStation driver.

He is young though, so guess we should give him some slack.

SgtCobra

In The Netherlands they just mainly root for him because he's Dutch, young, shows potential and has talent.
Other than that he's a pretty uninteresting bloke, I mostly tend to fell asleep as soon as he starts to talk.
His actions will backfire on his position sooner or later but he'll have to learn someday.

DBT85

Totally. All the f1 fans have no idea where the drivers live. It would be an eye opener.

nekkid

Totally. All the f1 fans have no idea where the drivers live. It would be an eye opener.

In a world where the Internet, pre/post race TV coverage and accents don't exist, maybe.

In before something something Hamilton's accent something

Massa

Strongly disagree with you there. Immigrants actually tend to value their culture a lot more than the average person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom