• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucius86

Banned
Just got up so I thought I best catch up with the mornings racing. I set Formula E to record rather than Formula 1 unintentionally. Says it all really.

NewDust

Frijns is consistently the most energy conservative rider. Wished he could turn that in to better results. But this year Andretti isn't on year old technology, right?

Zeknurn

Watching percentages has never been more exciting.

I was about to say incredible job by the Virgin team but Bird got screwed again.

Zeknurn

Di Grassi did great coming back from the back plus an extra pit stop.

Yeah, that was very well done by Di Grassi and the Abt team. It shouldn't have been possible.

Buemi also drove well after missing out on a top 4 start. Renault edams will again be the team to beat this season.

A big shame that Bird was robbed of another win. He must be the most unlucky driver on the grid.

All in all, a very good start to the season, most of the grid looks to be competitive this season. I can't wait for the next race.

stryke

I missed the race but looking at the results and considering how Rosberg tends to do well in late season races, I think he has it in the bag this year.

DSN2K

I missed the race but looking at the results and considering how Rosberg tends to do well in late season races, I think he has it in the bag this year.

I agree, I feel Rosberg has got this tied up pretty much. Still anything is possible.

chadskin

"A protest has been lodged by Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team against car 33 driven by Max Verstappen of Red Bull Racing relating to an alleged breach of Article 27.5 of Formula One Sporting Regulations, in that he allegedly drove erratically and in a dangerous manner, forcing car 44 to take evasive action at turn 16.

The Stewards are conducting a hearing. The results are still provisional."

I don't think they'll succeed but we'll see.

Zeknurn

Verstappen will get away with it as long as the other drivers keep avoiding a collision. The stewards won't do shit.

Also I bet this complaint is to please Hamilton thinking that he might get promoted to second and not fall behind as much in the points.

hamchan

Nothing will happen. Max has done way way more dangerous stuff this season compared to this light incident and gotten away with it. Would be inconsistent to actually punish him.

Orbis

Just watched the F1. Not a bad race at all, watching Lewis recovering from his bad start and keeping his head screwed on was good. I was so-so on the Max incident, I doubt anything will come of it. Nico drove as he needed to and took a deserved win.

I just want the title to go down to the final race, I feel like we're owed that much at least.

VES needs to be stopped..

It's not just Hamilton who complained about him and it's reoccurring.. This is setting a very dangerous precedent

I don't know how some over here say that what he did was amazing.. It's so easy to do.. Just brake, wait for it, then move into the direction of the driver following you. It's dangerous, it's wrong, and there are rules against this kind of reckless driving

Aiii

So not worth it
At this point I think it would just be better to implement a rule that as long as you get within 1 second for more than three consecutive sectors you get a free overtake, maybe introduce a flag for it, a blue one with a lewl smiley on it.

At this point I think it would just be better to implement a rule that as long as you get within 1 second for more than three consecutive sectors you get a free overtake, maybe introduce a flag for it, a blue one with a lewl smiley on it.

It's simple, there's a rule. Either implement it or remove it altogether

We've seen some really dangerous near misses with VES defending. The credit goes to the ones chasing him not to him for not having a heavy impact so far

Liking an outcome of a move shouldn't deter you from seeing the facts, which now are questionable because they've let him get away with far worse actually..

SgtCobra

VES needs to be stopped..

It's not just Hamilton who complained about him and it's reoccurring.. This is setting a very dangerous precedent

I don't know how some over here say that what he did was amazing.. It's so easy to do.. Just brake, wait for it, then move into the direction of the driver following you. It's dangerous, it's wrong, and there are rules against this kind of reckless driving
He drives very reckless at times and one day shit will hit the fan. He'll learn soon enough.

He drives very reckless at times and one day shit will hit the fan. He'll learn soon enough.

If what he's doing is legal then fine, F1 is all about being on the limit. But from what I understand is that you shouldn't be moving under braking. Remove the rule and let them race freely

How the fuck is that move allowed

Oh right that Heineken $$$

#blessed tweeted, then deleted:

CuUkK__WEAApYpk.jpg:large

How is that even allowed? That's absolutely horrible, I would rather watch crappy illegal streams till the end of time than deal with shit like this.

ridiculous..

Flat fees with no exclusivity is the way to go for the sport. They need to increase the reach only then more companies would want to advertise and spend more in/on the sport

RSP

How the fuck is that move allowed

Oh right that Heineken $$$

Seriously, what's the problem here ...

- Both drivers going through 130r, moving across the track to attack the next corner (Max has the regular line and is automatically defending the left)
- Lewis gains speed, chooses to move to the inside
- Max then moves and defends the right, forcing lewis to pass him on the left
- Max turns his move into actually taking the corner
- Lewis is not able to take the corner anymore, takes the safe route instead of hitting the curbs hard

Lewis should have waited, he would have been able to take him on the straight using DRS.

- Both drivers going through 130r, moving across the track to attack the next corner (Max has the regular line and is automatically defending the left)
- Lewis is not able to take the corner anymore, takes the safe route instead of hitting the curbs hard

Lewis should have waited, he would have been able to take him on the straight using DRS.

under braking.. Why do you guys keep ignoring the only fact that is very clearly mentioned in the rulebook
haven't read it myself, but that's what everyone says :p

I'll let Wolff answer you better

"The rulebook says something else - the rulebook says you can't move under braking, but it hasn't been penalised up to now.

"We just need to know what is permitted or not."

Tell the FIA:

Verstappen questioned by Whiting over Hamilton defence

Max Verstappen was spoken to by F1 race director Charlie Whiting and the FIA stewards at the Japanese Grand Prix about his defensive move against Lewis Hamilton in the closing stages of the race.

The Dutchman was defending second place from his Mercedes rival on the penultimate lap when he moved to close the door on the entry to the final chicane.

Hamilton was forced to switch to the left hand side of the track, and ran down the escape road, coming over the team radio to complain that Verstappen had moved under braking.

Although there was no formal investigation of Verstappen's actions, Motorsport.com has learned that both Whiting and the race stewards – including former F1 driver Emanuele Pirro – spoke to the Dutchman about what happened.

It is believed that they wanted to clarify the situation informally with the Dutchman, as moving under braking is something the FIA does not wish to become a common accepted practice.

The incident with Verstappen was viewed as similar to what he did against Kimi Raikkonen in Hungary – rather than his blocking moves on the straight at the Belgian Grand Prix.

No action will be taken against Verstappen for what he did in Japan, but it is likely he will have been told explicitly where the FIA draws the line between what is and is not acceptable.

So like they don't want to see it, but it's allowed a couple of times?

Mohonky

So why is Hamilton so shit at getting off the line this year? Not adapting to new regulations or tech as quickly (compared to every other driver)? Is he just worse compared to the Hamilton of yesteryear? Was it a fluke because of what they said about the damp patch? A psychological problem? Is there a Mercedes clutch problem?

Answers on a postcard.

Combination of things probably

- there IS a Mercedes clutch problem, it has affected both drivers. Hamilton seems to have had the lions share of the problems mechanically and with the clutch, but the clutch thing has affected both drivers at some point.

- there was a damp patch and Hamilton was probably trying to avoid over cooking it and went to far the other way and bogged it down as a result.

- he just plain fucked up.

No way of knowing really, but I think it's a little more knowing he really had to get a great start, was probably worrying even more that not only did he have to get a great start he was starting in a position that was massively disadvantageous and just seemed to plain cock it all up.

I'm to be honest surprised he even got back to third, he sounded quite defeated when he apologised on the radio.

Think he knows now, even if he does win every race from here (and Rosberg has been on a run so it's hard to imagine) that he still needs Rosberg to basically have a failure somewhere or have an extraordinarily bad race at some point which seems fairly doubtful.

He seems a bit in the mindset lately that some things seem completely out of his control and much as he's really done everything asked of him some things just don't seem to work out. Last weekend was his best chance of pulling back into the lead and he probably thought he had caught a break and instead he went further backward. So yeh, probably fairly defeated & tired.

On Verstappen, legal or not, the guys is still pulling that last second dive in front of other cars. I can't fathom why the FIA haven't been onto him about it. They've given him a little slap on the wrist once now but they've really given him absolutely no reason to stop doing it.

You can't 'brake check' other drivers, why is this any different. He is going to wipe someone out one day, not a matter of if but when.

At this point, all drivers should do what Max does. It's pretty clear by now that FIA doesn't want to penalize this kind of behaviour, so everyone should do it too. It's very, very, dangerous, but all the other drivers are at a disadvantage if they don't do what VES does.

Mastah

Benson also reports Hulk is off to Renault:

While there is no official word, several sources said in Japan that Nico Hulkenberg would next year join the French team from Force India.

Renault is keen to have an established and proven quantity to lead their team as they enter what will effectively be the first real season of their new venture, this one being very much a transition year after their late takeover of Lotus last winter.

Hulkenberg has a contract for 2017 with Force India, who are far more competitive at the moment than his likely destination. But he has been tempted by a multi-year contract on serious money with a factory team and is expected to make the move, and the word from inside Force India is they will not stand in his way.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/37600049

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
if you're on the US and understand spanish you can always watch the race on UNIVISION DEPORTES, they show the whole race uninterupted, no comercial breaks, just the race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom