• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
Hamilton in a Red Bull would be good brand synergy and, probably, a lot of fun to watch.

Red Bull has zero interest in Hamilton at this point and why would they? RIC and VES are perfectly suited to take on Hamilton and come out on top in battles, especially once the Merc advantages fades even further.

Aside from that simple fact, I don't think Red Bull and Hamilton are compatible brands at all, Red Bull wants to be a fun brand, where people do stunts and have fun. Hamilton likes to keep to himself, introverted, and walk his dog riding a 10km/h hoverboard and maybe do some raps in a studio that nobody will ever hear. He's much more suited for Mercedes in that regard.

And even if one of the two RBR drivers leaves, Carlos Sainz clearly knows that Carlos Sainz is just as good as Max and RIC and will get that vacant RBR seat.

legbone

At this rate it seems like you're better off ditching Vettel, to be fair.

yeah, no shit. raikonnen can still hang, i don't care what anyone says. i have been loving the back and forth between him and verstappen this year. it's like the old dog and the young dog teaching each other new tricks.

Fox Mulder

Red Bull has zero interest in Hamilton at this point and why would they? RIC and VES are perfectly suited to take on Hamilton and come out on top in battles, especially once the Merc advantages fades even further.

Aside from that simple fact, I don't think Red Bull and Hamilton are compatible brands at all, Red Bull wants to be a fun brand, where people do stunts and have fun. Hamilton likes to keep to himself, introverted, and walk his dog riding a 10km/h hoverboard and maybe do some raps in a studio that nobody will ever hear. He's much more suited for Mercedes in that regard.

And even if one of the two RBR drivers leaves, Carlos Sainz clearly knows that Carlos Sainz is just as good as Max and RIC and will get that vacant RBR seat.

Yeah, redbull will just keep promoting their own guys that they've invested in. Sainz is waiting and Kyvat wasn't even that bad. I could see Vettel getting back in if he wanted to leave Ferrari, but that's it.

So the radio compilation for Japan is out and it turns out Herbert did end up doing a post-race board radio interview: http://www.formula1.com/en/latest/features/2016/10/f1-japan-gp-best-team-radio-watch.html

Really hope they keep doing these, just maybe use someone less shit like Webber or literally anyone else instead of Johnny Fucking Herbert.

Hope Sky dumps that guy next year.

In car interviews are neat and work well in NASCAR. It's just harder to hear in an open cockpit and the interviewer has to ask really brief questions.

Mastah

So Gary Connelly, one of the stewards, was the only one out of the four stewards that wanted Verstappen investigated in Japan, and since he didn't get what he wanted he went to the Mercedes garage to encourage them to lodge the protest. Since Hamilton, Wolff and Lauda were already gone, Paddy Lowe then decided to make the protest. When Wolff found out, he had the protest rescinded (along with Hamilton speaking out against it on Twitter).

The FIA is allegedly not amused by this conduct by Connelly, so that's gonna be a fun soap opera in the coming weeks.

If one knows the procedures (which you can read in the regulations) you know that this story is complete hogwash. All investigations are announced by the FIA, none was. Thus stories of one steward being outvoted by the others lie somewhere between supposition and utter fantasy. I did look into the whole thing and it appears that the steward (Garry Connelly) met Paddy Lowe of Mercedes in the Paddock a couple of hours after the race was finished. Lowe seems to have expressed some frustration that Verstappen had not been penalised. Verstappen was spoken to by the stewards after the race, but in an unofficial manner. He then departed the track. Connelly seems to have told Lowe that if a team does not agree with a steward’s decision they have a right to protest (as long as the protest is made within a hour of the decision). The Provisional Race Result is deemed to be a stewards’ decision and it was decided by Mercedes Persons Unknown to embark on this process. When this was announced in the Media Centre there was a sense of disbelief because it was obvious that no hearing could take place because both of the drivers had already left. The hearing was announced for Austin, but then Mercedes withdrew the protest.

So what had happened? Inevitably, journalists began asking questions and a German publication, known for its close links with Mercedes top management, later ran the story about Connelly. Having looked into it, my conclusion is that this a case of a Chinese whisper passing from English to German and coming out rather differently than the discussion that actually took place. Telling someone that they have a right to protest is not at all the same as telling them to protest, but clearly this subtle distinction was, as they say in Japan, lost in translation.

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2016/10/12/a-quick-scan-of-the-scandals/

Zeknurn

When the 2017 season comes around and it unsurprisingly turns out that the complex aero still makes for shit racing, they should roll the cars off the pier in Melbourne and get 22 of these instead.

7svifEK.jpg

EIN388a.jpg

jYlHa74.jpg

Yk6Rdxj.jpg

sxvdv5w.jpg

http://www.motorsport.com/openwheel/news/new-formula-5000-car-makes-track-debut-837703/

The prototype Formula Thunder 5000 car has been successful shaken down ahead of its first public appearance later this month.

The FT5000 car will be run in public for the first time at the Muscle Car Masters event at Sydney Motorsport Park at the end of October.

It has already hit the track, however, Australian Formula 3 Champion Tim Macrow shaking the five-litre V8-powered monster down at Winton.

Lach

So the radio compilation for Japan is out and it turns out Herbert did end up doing a post-race board radio interview: http://www.formula1.com/en/latest/features/2016/10/f1-japan-gp-best-team-radio-watch.html

Yes they did it life during the live coverage. It's great. They do this also in Formula E, where they also do radio interviews during safety car. Would be great if they also could do this in Formula 1 but as mentioned earlier, I think even during safety car a Formula 1 driver still requires a lot of concentration.

When the 2017 season comes around and it unsurprisingly turns out that the complex aero still makes for shit racing, they should roll the cars off the pier in Melbourne and get 22 of these instead.

I don't even know what that is, other than a God tier name. FORMULA THUNDER FIVE THOUSAND

NHale

Surprised they defended Lewis's bullshit. He's acting like a spoiled child and that's all there is to it.

There has to be a point where we as fans start getting coeherent. We don't like drivers to be robots and give the same answers to the same questions everytime, that's why most love Kimi, Webber and Ricciardo. "I want to thank everyone in the factory, Petronas for all the hard work making the fuel mix and also a special thanks to the fan on sector B seat 21 for making me a thumbs up sign in lap 41 while I was lift and coasting".

Because everytime a driver shows personality that goes beyond the "normal window" of behaviour there is always a scandal. But then we complain that drivers are robots.

Yes I agree Lewis was unprofessional to those that were trying to do their job on the press conference, but the bigger point is that the Press conference format should be dead by now. It's as stupid as F1 2010 videogame press conferences, receive a question, give one of the 3 possible PR answers.

F1 needs to sell the drivers personality more and allow them to be themselves. Stop marketing this to the "Rolex crowd" and start marketing F1 to the "You Tube crowd". This sports is dying because it didn't adapt to the new standard of entertainment. If I was F1 I would welcome Lewis & Roscoe Adventures in the Paddock and make it a YT series. Give a camera to Danny Disco and make him to do silly interviews with current drivers. I want that access, I want the banter between drivers that only show up on Instagram instead of Official F1 broadcasters.

I want more real access into drivers, not boring "Do you believe the updates the team has brought to Malaysia will improve the car performance". "Yes Jeff. But the updates are more to address reliability than pure performance". How what insight.

If it wasn't for Lewis, Ricciardo, Max, Alonso, Kimi and Button, F1 would be more sterile than the NFL (No Fun League).

Mastah

Well, that's completely unexpected.

But now there's a seat for this guy, who was very quick during test in Bahrain last year and who recently has nothing to do after being sacked from his team. I would love to see it happen.

xrnzaaas

That sucks, but it's not totally unexpected, because he could drive in F1 for a few more seasons as well if he really wanted to.

Zeknurn

Fox Mulder

Wait, what about his ties with Toto Wolf and Mercedes? =o

This doesn't mean anything. Ocon is a Mercedes guy that was also a renault reserve driver until he got the manor seat.

Bottas has more potential at a works team than Williams ever will offer. Good for him. Red Bull shows Rnault has the engine, they just need the chassis to be a top end team.

Jezbollah

Webber :(

I really hope we see him in a few one-off drives.. but in reality he's got a great career in TV presentation ahead of him...

Shaneus

Webber :(

I really hope we see him in a few one-off drives.. but in reality he's got a great career in TV presentation ahead of him...
I wonder if Button will be filling in his spot next year? Anyone know if he has an affinity for/with Porsche?

DD

I wonder if Button will be filling in his spot next year? Anyone know if he has an affinity for/with Porsche?

Well, he's still a McLaren employee, and Porsche is a McLaren rival in that sports cars area. I don't know, I don't see it happening under these circunstances...

Massa, pehaps?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Hulkenberg to Renault for 2017 will be announced soon

Bottas is also negotiating with Renault and if he agrees, that would mean a fight for vacant seat at Williams. Mercedes would probably move Wehrlein to Williams and Ocon is apparently on Force India's radar. That would mean Manor would stay without both drivers.

ramparter

Banned
Who's The Hulk's manager?

The Hulk has had his arse handed to him by that joke Perez and he's manage to squeeze Renault for $20M according to Bild. Incredible.

I think that Hulk got bored after so many years at FI. He always had potential imo. Renault is a gamble right now, most probably will be behind Force India for the next 2-3 years but there's always the chance they might pull of something good.

Good for Bottas also, I don't like Williams feels like they only rely on a good engine and never improve their car. They start each season close to the top and then it's all downhill from there.

Mohonky

I think that Hulk got bored after so many years at FI. He always had potential imo. Renault is a gamble right now, most probably will be behind Force India for the next 2-3 years but there's always the chance they might pull of something good.

Good for Bottas also, I don't like Williams feels like they only rely on a good engine and never improve their car. They start each season close to the top and then it's all downhill from there.

Its hard for Williams. They are the only team on the grid that are nothing but a Formula 1 company. That is their business, they take what they learn in formula one and sell technology learned from it but its not like they have a bankroll coming in from some drink company, or car sales or anything like that, its F1 and selling their own developed technology to keep afloat and invest back in to develop the car. That they have existed so long doing that is kind of remarkable in itself and they have had some awesome cars over the years And developed a car so unbeatable it was banned.

Aiii

So not worth it
With Stroll coming in, Williams needs someone more experienced than Wehrlein in that second car, simple as that.

If I was Kvyat's manager, I'd be on the phone this very second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom