• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

valkyre

Not even the best looking McLaren ;)

McLaren.jpg

Now that is indeed a beautiful beautiful McLaren!

But I stand by that BT52 is as sexy as an F1 car can get for me!

JDB

Banned
I'm probably one of the few people who really likes the modern cars. A lot of the older ones look like cheap plastic toys to me.

dl77

I've always had a soft spot for the Lotus 49.

jimclark_lotus_brandshatch_1967.jpg

Though that may well harken back to my days playing GP Legends!

That aside there was always something about the MP 4/4 and the way the nose tapered to a(n almost) point that made it look almost dangerous in Senna's hands.

2.jpg

Lach

When I was a child, the FW14B to me was what I was thinking of when thinking of F1. I'm not sure if I had a toy of it but that livery.....

I'm sure I had a Ferrari toy car of that time period.

edit:
Ready your flack-jackets.

Prediction. Spec 3 honda engine finally delivers. McLaren has already decided on ditching Honda for 2018. Sauber will win championship 2018.

Mohonky

I'm probably one of the few people who really likes the modern cars. A lot of the older ones look like cheap plastic toys to me.

No I actually think the 2017 cars are probably the best they have ever looked; it has the best balance between being overly fussy and too simple.

F1 is always an engineering sport and some of the aero designs over the years have been interesting to say the least, but I think with the new regs for 2017 the cars look low, wide and aggressive with a decent amount of complexity to them without looking like they ran through fan shop covered in permanent adhesive and went with whatever stuck.

The really simple, clean looking cars don't really do much for me to be honest because they just look like Formula cars from a number of different categories and don't look like the sort of thing you expect from 'by the minute' understanding of technology that you expect from F1.

f1-mclaren-mcl32-launch-2017-the-mclaren-mcl32.jpg

170221161719-renault-f1-2017-car-side-super-169.jpg

1489756406901.jpg

Prediction. Spec 3 honda engine finally delivers.

It's not the full Spec 3 though, only supposed to bring 30bhp / 3-4tenths per lap - new turbo/mgu-h, injectors, fuel and mapping. We won't see The Beast unleashed this season if those divs at McLaren switch to Mercedes at Spa.

No further action agaisnt him, all on twitter
https://twitter.com/adamcooperF1
1. No more action on VET from the FIA after he apologised...
2. "FIA President Jean Todt decided that on this occasion the matter should be closed"
3. "Sebastian Vettel admitted full responsibility"and "extended his sincere apologies to the FIA and the wider motor sport family"
4. "should there be any repetition of such behaviour the matter would immediately be referred to the FIA International Tribunal"

Aiii

So not worth it
Vettel made the same apology and commitment for the Mexico incident, too. And was put on the same probation.

FIA is laughable, should have put their foot down.

kiyomi

What a weasel. He conveniently forgot that the incident happened, and then as soon as there is a chance of further punishment, comes out with a "oh no, sorry sir, won't happen again sir". Fuck off.

John_B

Vettel was really sorry and the FIA said okay but the next time you act up we're really going to take it serious. The F1 has always been this way. Decisions are incredibly biased. Precedents are worthless.

Not wanting to interfere with the championship by not ruling properly is interfering with the championship. Vettel already escaped punishment in China (lining up incorrectly) and escaped a black flag in Baku because stewards admittedly didn't want to punish him.

John_B

Wasn't the China thing more a loophole in the rules that immediately got closed afterwards?
Everyone was certain Vettel wasn't allowed to do that. Drivers asked Charlie afterwards if they now could do that and the answer was a clear no.

DBT85

Not surprised at the FIAs decision. I look forward to the same thing happening next time as I'm sure it won't be the last.

You do have to wonder if Perez or Ocon or Palmer would have been offered the same leniency.

Ahh well, off we go. Regardless of what the FIA do, it will have added some spice to the championship if nothing else. It'll be interesting to see how much room they leave for each other on track now.

Everyone was certain Vettel wasn't allowed to do that. Drivers asked Charlie afterwards if they now could do that and the answer was a clear no.

Until they actually bothered checking the rules and realised that it was "technically" fine.

The best sort of fine.

On the current thing, I think Hamilton / Merc will hand Vettel / Ferrari their arses over the rest of the year.

DBT85

Sets a good precedent at least, now drivers know what to expect if they decide to go full bumper cars.

This I think is what th FIA should have been a little more cognisant of. They've now set a new precedent. Nothing to stop Nando doing it to someone if he likes as he's not going to lose anything and they can't be seen to go in harder.

Fangdangle

Neo Member
I wish you could just mute croftys voice from the comms, he's insufferable enough as it is but sebby getting away with attempted murder will make him even more so! ;)

Pryce

Vettel made the same apology and commitment for the Mexico incident, too. And was put on the same probation.

FIA is laughable, should have put their foot down.

Do/did people really want Vettel punished for that? lol.

Good. Let's move on and enjoy the championship battle.

Zaru

Sets a good precedent at least, now drivers know what to expect if they decide to go full bumper cars.

Well I mean... it was only "okay" in the sense that he got an effectively 30 seconds penalty for a move in low speed safety car conditions that didn't do anything to the other car and after already damaging his own car.
I'm not sure how other drivers are going to use that precedent "to their advantage" in any way unless they are the world's most skilled bumper car driver.
Try that shit at high speeds or with actual damage/race ending results... I doubt they'd rule the same.

Aiii

So not worth it
Do/did people really want Vettel punished for that? lol.

Good. Let's move on and enjoy the championship battle.

Did people really want Vettel to get punished for a second incident of road rage in less than a year, while on probation for road rage?

Yeah, people did.

The lighting makes the car 10x more sexy

It was the paint job, it was such an amazing color.

You have good taste.

F2007, F2008, F2004, F2003-GA, F2002 and the MP4-18C were gorgeous cars. From the era of unlimited budgets where you knew you were looking at the peak of what was possible.

I always wonder what we would get without any budgets right now. Ferrari with unlimited testing at Fiorano would be great to have again.

What's the point in the FIA? Seriously.

To serve justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom