• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

DD

Yay! "Everyone post their favourite looking cars"-time!

Mine is this one:
jordan97.jpg

Later on Jordan also had a nose with a hornet on it, but that didn't tickle my fancy the way this one did.

Yes!

EDIT: another beauty of that era:

4ea9d14adf54b5a5730bcdd18acaf89f.jpg

Par Score

Aiii

So not worth it
And a ten second stop and go penalty. I'm not sure why people insist this will lead to drivers just going crazy. That penalty probably cost Vettel the win, i.e. 13 points.

Now imagine someone spiting a driver in 13th position with nothing to lose.

It was petty, his second offence, and something that in most sports would have given you the equivalent of a ban and should have been a race ban here.

And a ten second stop and go penalty. I'm not sure why people insist this will lead to drivers just going crazy. That penalty probably cost Vettel the win, i.e. 13 points.
Considering he expanded his championship lead at the end of the day, you could still easily argue that he's effectively escaped meaningful penalty on the track. Had Hamilton gone on to win it would have looked more significant, yes. I won't say he's been "rewarded" for this shitty aggression since Vettel obviously has no control over Hamilton's neck restraint, but when points are the only thing that matters at the end of the day he still received a net benefit from the race, which is freaking absurd.

Anyone not in the championship battle would have been DQ'd, or at minimum punished further by the FIA. They just don't want to look like they're playing favorites, which makes them cowards. For precedent on how anyone else would be screwed, RoGro caused a wreck at Spa in 2012 that he received a race ban for, with the justification given explicitly mentioning the impact it had on the championship. Wrecking any random people further down the order? Meh. Contenders wrecking one another? Meh. Outsiders sticking their noses into the battle at the front? Punishment!

Edit: Wanted to add that I really hope this doesn't spark a new run of epic Ferrari favoritism and entitlement out of the FIA (hi 2010). They haven't been contenders for years so we haven't seen how much weight they'll throw around. With a sample size of 1 incident it's obviously impossible to draw any conclusions.

It was petty, his second offence, and something that in most sports would have given you the equivalent of a ban and should have been a race ban here.

In most sports like what? You'd hardly see a player banned for a soccer match for pushing another player during a stoppage. Yellow card sure but not red and most certainly not a red. In what sport would the equivalent infraction warrant a match ban?

Edit: A lot of people choosing to ignore that Vettel caused no noticeable damage to HAM and that this was not even close to a delivered incident under racing speeds.

Vettel didn't end up with a net benefit as a result of this incident. No. Hamilton had an unfortunate issue with his headrest. That cost HAM his win. Vettel would have won the race or at the very least finished stronger than he had were it not for the penalty he incurred. Not really much of a net benefit when he should have been looking at a podium without it.

DD

In most sports like what? You'd hardly see a player banned for a soccer match for pushing another player during a stoppage. Yellow card sure but not red and most certainly not a red. In what sport would the equivalent infraction warrant a match ban?

In a soccer match two yellow cards means a red card.

Aiii

So not worth it

It wasn't a push.

Yes, it was a low speed, and yes luckily nothing happened. But that's not the point. If Lewis had broken his suspension and didn't finish we wouldn't even have this discussion, just because that did not happen does not mean the penalty should be different. The action is what matters, not the result.

If you make a tackle on another player, it doesn't matter if you break his legs or not, you're getting a red card.

And even if you think it should be the equivalent of a yellow card, he already had a yellow card and two yellow's don't make a deeper yellow.

McNum

In football tournaments, a Red Card IS a match ban. Or two Yellow Cards in the same tournament. Tournaments have been lost because a star player got banned from the finals due to a foul in the semi final.

Massa

Edit: A lot of people choosing to ignore that Vettel caused no noticeable damage to HAM and that this was not even close to a delivered incident under racing speeds.

Vettel didn't end up with a net benefit as a result of this incident. No. Hamilton had an unfortunate issue with his headrest. That cost HAM his win. Vettel would have won the race or at the very least finished stronger than he had were it not for the penalty he incurred. Not really much of a net benefit when he should have been looking at a podium without it.

A race driver ramming someone with their car is not the same as "pushing" another player, it's in a completely different league.

DD

I'm really not sure if I wanted to see Vettel getting a race ban, but damn, he got out lightly. I mean, even though it was a low speed incident, he could have stressed out his or Hamilton's suspension, for example, that could break at 350 Km/h on the main straight. That was a f*ckin' stupid move.

But it didn't happen and it's not going to. It sucks, it's stupid from the FIA, but it's time to get over it.

All I want to see now is Lewis and Seb brawling during the press conference on Tuesday.

This "second offence" thing is disingenuous.

You can say he was on probation and this deserved further punishment, for sure... but giving Charlie shit on the radio has very little in common with crashing into another car. I'd have not punished the ranting thing at all, but then I'd have definitely disqualified him for the crash.

Edit: Can we please stop with this stupid red/yellow card discussion? It's ridiculous.

Considering he expanded his championship lead at the end of the day, you could still easily argue that he's effectively escaped meaningful penalty on the track. Had Hamilton gone on to win it would have looked more significant, yes. I won't say he's been "rewarded" for this shitty aggression since Vettel obviously has no control over Hamilton's neck restraint, but when points are the only thing that matters at the end of the day he still received a net benefit from the race, which is freaking absurd.

Anyone not in the championship battle would have been DQ'd, or at minimum punished further by the FIA. They just don't want to look like they're playing favorites, which makes them cowards. For precedent on how anyone else would be screwed, RoGro caused a wreck at Spa in 2012 that he received a race ban for, with the justification given explicitly mentioning the impact it had on the championship. Wrecking any random people further down the order? Meh. Contenders wrecking one another? Meh. Outsiders sticking their noses into the battle at the front? Punishment!

Edit: Wanted to add that I really hope this doesn't spark a new run of epic Ferrari favoritism and entitlement out of the FIA (hi 2010). They haven't been contenders for years so we haven't seen how much weight they'll throw around. With a sample size of 1 incident it's obviously impossible to draw any conclusions.

No, you can't! He HAD a meaningful penalty. Again, it most likely cost him 12 points. Hamilton finished behind him because of an issue that was completely unrelated (for all we know atleast) to the incident with Vettel.
He received a net benefit from the race, but not from the incident. I don't know why people keep on ignoring this distinction.

I'm trying to imagine it. That driver that has nothing to lose will then fall back even more, will get a couple points on his license, will have to see the FIA, will have to apologize, attend the stuff that Vettel now has to do and so on. I don't see how Vettel penalty makes drivers now go completely insane on the race track, unless they are stupid and don't know that a 10 second stop and go penalty is a disaster for your race.

I don't think it matters whether he received a benefit from it or not. In fact I think it's completely irrelevant.

The fact is he drove into another car on purpose under the safety car, and has now admitted that.

If you think a 10 second stop-go penalty for that is fine - fair enough. But that's all it comes down to.

BigAl1992

Right, I've had enough of listening to this Hamilton-Vettel bullshit coming from the back of Baku. It's been dealt with by the Stewards there. It's been dealt with by the FIA. They've all made their decisions and both sides appear to have settled the matter and moved on. I've seen this all before when it was Hamilton and Rosberg, and I'm not here to waste time reading about this matter rinse and repeat by all side yet again. Shut up. Accept the final decision. Move on. And let's enjoy a nicely brewing Championship battle going on.

Now, on to other matters;
Kubica: "The chance for F1 comeback is 80-90%"
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-ne...ert-kubica-as-renault-arranges-second-f1-test

I'll be crying if it happens.

I think after that test in Barcelona(?) And after driving at Goodwood in the 2012 spec car, I think the writing is on the walls now in Renault. They want him to get in the driving seat for next year. Either way, I suspect Palmer is a dead man walking. He's been there for a year and a half now, and he hasn't improved in the team. If anything, he's regressed within the team.

Is there anything Palmer can do to stop what seems to be headed his way? In a bizarro land where he gets a podium, would that even help?

dl77

Is there anything Palmer can do to stop what seems to be headed his way? In a bizarro land where he gets a podium, would that even help?

Don't think so. One good result doesn't change the fact that he's been demolished by Hulkenberg this season.

On a side not I always feel sorry for Hulk, he deserves a far better can than he's been lumped with throughout his career.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
This is the car I loved as a wee lad.

Al Unser Jr in CART in '96.
Such a shame that Penske's last few chassis were duds. Although my favorite had to be the 1999 Reynard Penske. That car wore the Marlboro livery so well.

You guys better stop posting old car pics, or you'll gonna make me want to smoke a cigarette.

DBT85

Thinking about the Vettel decision, I'm wondering if the FIA couldn't have added 3 points to his license, suspended for say 2 years. So if he got points added at a race weekend for a similar incident he'd have got whatever the stewards added, plus those suspended points.

Some gorgeous looking cars in the last few pages btw.

EDIT: Billy Monger has got back behind the wheel of a race car, just 11 weeks after his horrific crash.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-40497230

cromofo

Kubica might be coming back?!?

I love that man. He was one of the reasons I started watching F1 and once he got injured I slowly lost interest in it. Couldn't really enjoy the sport without the guy.

If he comes back I'll tune in 100%. What a comeback that would be

Shaneus

Thinking about the Vettel decision, I'm wondering if the FIA couldn't have added 3 points to his license, suspended for say 2 years. So if he got points added at a race weekend for a similar incident he'd have got whatever the stewards added, plus those suspended points.

Some gorgeous looking cars in the last few pages btw.

EDIT: Billy Monger has got back behind the wheel of a race car, just 11 weeks after his horrific crash.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-40497230
Wow, that's incredible. Definitely giving me feels just like Zanardi does.

Just feel so sorry for the poor kid :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom