• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

avaya

It was the paint job, it was such an amazing color.

I always wonder what we would get without any budgets right now. Ferrari with unlimited testing at Fiorano would be great to have again.

Rosso Monza I believe. The GOAT Ferrari colour.

It wouldn't just be Fiorano, the limitation on wind tunnel use and basic testing is scandalously shit.

1985_European_GP_Senna_Jerry_LewisEvans-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqR0NF8Gz-tuFd3sjb8lkHQUBDOai_6WwYyh_TRMtsxic.jpg

This 1985 Lotus remains my favorite. Maybe because when I was six I saw my first F1 race and I thought the black car with the yellow helmet had something magical.

Everyone was certain Vettel wasn't allowed to do that. Drivers asked Charlie afterwards if they now could do that and the answer was a clear no.

That's just not true. The rules were changed after the incident, so that this is not possible anymore. You can't punish someone for breaking a rule that doesn't exist.

John_B

That's just not true. The rules were changed after the incident, so that this is not possible anymore. You can't punish someone for breaking a rule that doesn't exist.
There was plenty precedent of teams requesting to start out of box in wet conditions. Why would they request something that is not against the rules and why would the FIA then even deny some of these requests?

Also Hamilton was punished back in 2008 for a rule that didn't exists before they then went and clarified it. The FIA is partial to certain teams and drivers is what my point is.

Aiii

So not worth it
There was plenty precedent of teams requesting to start out of box in wet conditions. Why would they request something that is not against the rules and why would the FIA then even deny some of these requests?

Also Hamilton was punished back in 2008 for a rule that didn't exists before they then went and clarified it. The FIA is partial to certain teams and drivers is what my point is.

I mean, it is not like the FIA boss is partial to any team, he is completely objective without any former ties to certain teams with red liveries.

My point is that the rule was not clear. That's why it was changed...

If Hamilton was punished in 2008 for a rule that didn't exist when the incident happened, than that was wrong. Because... um, you can't be punished for breaking a rule that does not exist in the first place.

Well I mean... it was only "okay" in the sense that he got an effectively 30 seconds penalty for a move in low speed safety car conditions that didn't do anything to the other car and after already damaging his own car.
I'm not sure how other drivers are going to use that precedent "to their advantage" in any way unless they are the world's most skilled bumper car driver.
Try that shit at high speeds or with actual damage/race ending results... I doubt they'd rule the same.

Exactly. How anyone could extrapolate the outcome of today's judgement with "I guess Pastor was on to something" is beyond me. Like I had said before, this shunt stunt was done at the slowest and safest moment.

I was interested to see that Vettel can't advocate safe driving for a year. That and the other actions he has to take.

Razgreez

Not even the best looking McLaren ;)

McLaren.jpg

You, sir, have impeccable taste. People touting the F2007 and F2008 monstrosities as good looking cars diminishes my faith in humanity somewhat :D. No but really, taste is a universal aspect and some have just failed to inculcate it :p

Aerodynamics and chassis are also set to be simplified. Before the summer break, representatives of the FIA, Ross Brawn and the teams will assemble to discuss the rules for 2019. Brawn is pushing for this early decision so they won’t end up making last minute bad decisions, something F1 fans are all too familiar with in the past.

Even with Brawn pushing to avoid last minute 180s (which resulted in the current Formula) I have little faith in these remarks as he recently mentioned, and I paraphrase, that he is of the opinion the cars should have "more" aerodynamic downforce. So which is it then

dukeoflegs

Briatore said Alonso will go to either Merc or Ferr next year? Damn Id die to see him fighting in the front again.

I wonder if he would take a pay cut to race for either of them?

Speaking of favorite cars, I've always been a fan of the America Eagle. Could be because my dad has this picture framed up in his garage.

Always been a fan of Dan Gurney, he also had the most bad ass helmet (the first full face helmet):

Lach

Even with Brawn pushing to avoid last minute 180s (which resulted in the current Formula) I have little faith in these remarks as he recently mentioned, and I paraphrase, that he is of the opinion the cars should have "more" aerodynamic downforce. So which is it then

I'm not sure "simpler aerodynamics" necessarily negates "more aerodynamics". I'm not an engineer but I read an analysis comparing modern F1 cars with IndyCars. IndyCars use the underbody to generate downforce which also reduces the turbulance behind a leading car (which is a big problem in F1 these days).

Zaru

Regardless of making it simpler or more complex, they should try to make regulations that don't allow for 2+ second per lap gaps between teams on the same engine unless someone really fucks up development.
Gaining a few tenths for spending 200 million more than a well-run midfield team? Sure.
Leaders lapping more than half of the field with a turned down engine? Come on.

Though creating such regulations without going almost spec chassis will be quite difficult, it's not impossible imo.

Razgreez

I'm not sure "simpler aerodynamics" necessarily negates "more aerodynamics". I'm not an engineer but I read an analysis comparing modern F1 cars with IndyCars. IndyCars use the underbody to generate downforce which also reduces the turbulance behind a leading car (which is a big problem in F1 these days).

The issue with increased ground effect reliance, and the reason it was originally banned, is because of the fear of catastrophic failure during cornering compounded by the dramatic increases in cornering speeds it allows for. I don't see them overcoming that nor do I see opening up of the underbody rules leading to any less complex, and thereby developmentally costly, aero developments.

Look at the complexity of the rear diffusers for example. Teams are already changing those race by race.

Aiii

So not worth it
Briatore said Alonso will go to either Merc or Ferr next year? Damn Id die to see him fighting in the front again.

Unless Merc can get their hands on Verstappen (and hell, he'll be around in a few years after he matured a bit around the time Hamilton and Alonso retire), I don't see them taking any other option than going for Alonso unless they desperately want to stick with the current A- and B-driver option.

Lach

The issue with increased ground effect reliance, and the reason it was originally banned, is because of the fear of catastrophic failure during cornering compounded by the dramatic increases in cornering speeds it allows for. I don't see them overcoming that nor do I see opening up of the underbody rules leading to any less complex, and thereby developmentally costly, aero developments.

Look at the complexity of the rear diffusers for example. Teams are already changing those race by race.

Fair enough. As I mentioned I don't know nearly enough about aero to be able to judge this.

Cool to see the Tour de France guys going around Spa today.

Cool! I totally missed this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqBdDxx3rIA

You can see the steepness of Eau Rouge a lot better.

dl77

I don't see them taking any other option than going for Alonso unless they desperately want to stick with the current A- and B-driver option.

Why bother though? They've got the best cars and two of the few drivers who can win the title. If they have Alonso in a team with Hamilton or Vettel they'll just end up scoring points off each other and that could end up with someone else swooping in for the title.

Every team wants the best drivers for marketing and prestige but on the racetrack they want a clear No1 who can win the title and someone else who can follow in behind them and help mop up the constructors championship.

Grug

"And insiders say he has since driven the team's simulator and been as quick in it as lead driver Nico Hulkenberg, although this is not necessarily an accurate measurement of his on-track potential."

If insiders are leaking that, then goodbye Palmer.

Aiii

So not worth it
"And insiders say he has since driven the team's simulator and been as quick in it as lead driver Nico Hulkenberg, although this is not necessarily an accurate measurement of his on-track potential."

If insiders are leaking that, then goodbye Palmer.

Palmer is gone either way. If not during the season, then by the end of the year. I don't think Kubica is gonna step in mid-season, so if they really want Kubica there for next season, Palmer might actually be in luck and secure his seat until the end of the year.

Dilly

Banned
I'm going to go mental if Kubica makes a comeback. I've been a huge fan ever since I started watching F1 and was heartbroken when he had that rally accident.

tomtom94

Palmer is gone either way. If not during the season, then by the end of the year. I don't think Kubica is gonna step in mid-season, so if they really want Kubica there for next season, Palmer might actually be in luck and secure his seat until the end of the year.
Or they might just say fuck it and put Sirotkin in for now.

dl77

I can honestly see Palmer getting the heave-ho fairly shortly. This isn't a case of under-performing it's a case of not performing at all.

He's never shown any indication that he'll be a top level driver or even a good No 2 and if Renault are getting more serious with their F1 programme they need someone who can at least bring in a handful of points.

With 10 points scoring places you can easily picture Hulkenberg dragging the car into one of those spots but Palmer? Not a chance without a huge amount of bad luck for the rest of the field.

Aiii

So not worth it
Or they might just say fuck it and put Sirotkin in for now.

Sirotkin should probably just say no. From all accounts we've seen these cars are very hard to master for young drivers and he'd just be on the backfoot for the remainder of the season only to be demoted at the end when they get Kubica and Hulkenberg for next season.

He'll probably ruin his entire career if he does this.

xrnzaaas

Sirotkin is a test driver since 2014, I don't think his career in F1 has any chances of flourishing. I'm pretty sure he'd be super excited if he was offered a chance to drive this year.

D_Star

Neo Member
Yay! "Everyone post their favourite looking cars"-time!

Mine is this one:
jordan97.jpg

Later on Jordan also had a nose with a hornet on it, but that didn't tickle my fancy the way this one did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom