• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
This guy has way more than good potential. He was really fast with Ferrari too in the test few weeks ago. Can't wait to see him in F1.

It's a shame Ferrari has chosen the principle of fucking over their junior drivers in favour of their number one acquisition.

chadskin

Fernando Alonso's brilliance in taking the Pouhon corner flat out for the first time in qualifying led to the energy deployment failure that cost him a place in Q3, Motorsport.com has learned.

After receiving a tow from teammate Stoffel Vandoorne at the beginning of his final effort in Q2, Alonso had looked set to deliver a laptime that would have been good enough to get through to the final top 10 shootout.

But between Turn 11 (the exit of Double Gauche) and Turn 12 (the entry of the Fagnes Chicane), Alonso received no extra energy deployment from his Honda power unit.

With a full deployment of energy worth around 160hp, Alonso claimed on the radio that he had lost half a second at that moment – which was enough for him to abort his lap.

The lack of energy was not the result of a failure on the car, but was instead caused by Honda's system not deploying when it was automatically expected to.

Motorsport.com has learned that this failure to deliver the energy was the result of Honda's system getting confused about where it was on the track.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alonso-qualifying-spa-honda-mclaren-945396/

Oh my.

Jezbollah

I wish Honda would just fuck off, and McLaren get any of the other engines.

They obviously have a car that is very good - the powerplant is just an abortion.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

The part you didn't quote is even better.

Motorsport.com has learned that this failure to deliver the energy was the result of Honda's system getting confused about where it was on the track.

Honda's deployment algorithm is calculated through major throttle input, with it basing its calculations of which corner it is at by major throttle inputs.

So when there is a lift of the throttle, for example, the system takes this into account and works out it must have gone through a corner.

When Alonso took Pouhon flat out – rather than lifting as he had done previously over the weekend – Honda's system did not realise he had already gone through the corner.

Thinking Alonso was still on the run from the Liege downhill corner, rather than on the straight between Turn 11/12, it did not deploy any more energy.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
The part you didn't quote is even better.

Some of the fault here appears to also lie at McLaren's door for not picking up that in the simulator work.

Also, should this not have been detected during practice?

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Caught up with the day's events. The McLaren-Honda situation has stopped being funny to me.

Was there a reason given for why Latifi didn't take the the start for the F2 feature race?

Par Score

ramparter

Banned
I watched some of the pre-qualifying today and I think it was the top McLaren guy there and when he was asked if they were going to continue with Honda he didn't say yes and wouldn't commit to an answer.
It would be funny if it didn't involve wasting the best driver on the grid. I have a difficulty enjoying the last three F1 years because of the Honda - Alonso situation.

Yagami_Sama

This is so sad to read, how come ?When I think that things will progress, read stuff like that is very disappointing.

LoveCake

It would be funny if it didn't involve wasting the best driver on the grid. I have a difficulty enjoying the last three F1 years because of the Honda - Alonso situation.

It is and was always a long-term project and I said to people (friends I know that are into F1 and also online) that McLaren would be not running at the top of the grid for about three years, and what Honda should have done is buyout either Caterham F1 or Marussia and have them as a feeder team like Toro Rosso is it would have cost Honda what a couple of million pounds, then they would have had four engines on track and would have doubled the testing allowance etc.

Nobody thought it would take that long and everyone said to me that the buyout option would be a waste, now I am not saying it would have worked out, but the fact it that it would have cost nothing really and also couldn't have made it any worse than it is now.

If McLaren drop Honda then it will be another three years before they get back to the top, ok maybe a customer engine will fit right in but there is so much to work around and I cannot see Ferrari supplying McLaren and I doubt Mercedes would either and I am sure both have said in the past that they can only really produce and provide enough back-up and support for six cars including their own a season.

I don't know why they don't just try and build their own engine, maybe get input from Honda as opposed to Honda building the engine and just delivering it to McLaren, ok I know it's not how it is now, but it seems that Honda have 99% control over the engine. I don't know, just trying to think outside the box or something.

Jezbollah

If McLaren drop Honda then it will be another three years before they get back to the top, ok maybe a customer engine will fit right in but there is so much to work around and I cannot see Ferrari supplying McLaren and I doubt Mercedes would either and I am sure both have said in the past that they can only really produce and provide enough back-up and support for six cars including their own a season.

I don't know why they don't just try and build their own engine, maybe get input from Honda as opposed to Honda building the engine and just delivering it to McLaren, ok I know it's not how it is now, but it seems that Honda have 99% control over the engine. I don't know, just trying to think outside the box or something.

The F1 engines are designed to be easily transferrable between chassis designs every year - and the electronics are standard - so there's no reason for McLaren not to be making good use out of a new engine supplier soon after switching.

Designing a brand new engine is a massive investment, especially for a company who has zero experience building an F1 engine. McLaren have never done that - you only have to look at the facilities Mercedes have in Brixworth. I strongly suspect McLaren right now doesnt have the money to build their own F1 engine program from the ground up.

Zaru

So these tyre vibration wiggles we've seen today are actually a total mystery to Pirelli and the teams, and they're investigating.
Doubt it'll change anything tomorrow (inb4 Vettel's tyres explode), but it's kind of funny that they don't even know why this happens

avaya

I don't feel sorry for Alonso at all. He made his own choices in where he ended up. He has made horrendous choices through out his career since leaving McLaren in 2007 because he had a rookie run circles around him from the first corner at Melbourne that year.

Zaru

I don't feel sorry for Alonso at all. He made his own choices in where he ended up.

It's not really about feeling sorry for him, the guy's getting paid a LOT for his frustrations.
But as F1 fans, we're missing out on some top drives and duels that one of the best current drivers could pull in a competitive car. Instead all he can do is nab some points and fuel the honda memes.

avaya

It's not really about feeling sorry for him, the guy's getting paid a LOT for his frustrations.
But as F1 fans, we're missing out on some top drives and duels that one of the best current drivers could pull in a competitive car. Instead all he can do is nab some points and fuel the honda memes.

True. But where can he go? Only place I see is Red Bull. Vettel will not want him at Ferrari and he is never going to be Lewis' teammate. He has wasted his career.

McLaren being shit for so long is surprising I must admit. I am not convinced it is just the engine. Honda being so clueless for this long is also shocking. I do think they'll turn it around eventually. I don't think Mercedes should give McLaren an engine though, that would be stupid. Think their best bet is a Renault engine.

True. But where can he go? Only place I see is Red Bull. Vettel will not want him at Ferrari and he is never going to be Lewis' teammate. He has wasted his career.

McLaren being shit for so long is surprising I must admit. I am not convinced it is just the engine. Honda being so clueless for this long is also shocking. I do think they'll turn it around eventually. I don't think Mercedes should give McLaren an engine though, that would be stupid. Think their best bet is a Renault engine.
Ferrari doesn't want Alonso at Ferrari and Red Bull have two very talented drivers and their junior drivers. Alonso has nowhere to go as long as he demands a race winning car.

mclem

Out of interest, are the *mobile* versions of the Codies' F1 games at all worth taking a glance at? I notice last year's is discounted right now on the Play store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom