• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razgreez

Would have finished 3rd if it wasnt for the safety car. Also being 5-6 seconds behind the leaders isnt bad at all.

Losing two positions after the SC is entirely bad. Even with its constructors lead Mercedes needs as many points as possible and so does Valteri if he wants to keep his championship hopes alive

Aiii

So not worth it
Just caught up with the race.

LOL RBR-Renault, get your fucking shit together.

Perez, you can't just push someone into the wall because you don't like them, that's fucked up.

Palmer finally has one-lap pace, he still finishes 13th, 2 places up from where he started... Because 2 people ahead of him DNF'd. Learn to overtake.

Stroll continues to disappoint. Williams is bottom tier now, good job Claire, throwing your father's legacy down the drain for a paydriver.

Lewis was top notch all weekend, shame their engine is so OP as I'd love a more interesting qualifying, but that doesn't take anything away from that man's form right now, he doesn't drop a single beat. Good to see Vettel hanging on, if they finish in this position in Monza, they're equal on points. Hopefully we'll see them trade wins for the rest of the season and get an exciting finale.

All in all not the best races, but there were some great overtakes at the end of the straight at the top of Eau Rouge, great stuff.

Fisico

Doesn't make Ocon shine either. You can get away with being trouble if you are quick, but being 9-2 down in qualy doesn't make his case very strong.

It would be interesting to see whats is the time difference on average for quali between these two.
Each time I check they are almost always grid neighbours with a ~0.1s split, it's kinda crazy how close they are to each other (with Perez ahead by the smallest margin possible each time), even in races they often spend most of the race close to each other which is how they manage to crash sometimes lol.

Aiii

So not worth it
Someone with years at a team vs. someone just new at the team isn't immediately going to outqualify their teammate. Especially once you factor in that cars are designed based partly on driver feedback so that only further increases the advantage of the longer term driver.

Like how VER was .4s behind Ricciardo almost all last season in qualifying and just look at how that has turned around a year later.

Speed over one lap is very much something impacted by how comfortable you are with a car and team, much more so than overall race pace.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
You don't get any of the McLaren pit crew just saying "fuck this, I'm going home". His behaviour yesterday has really grated on me.

Jezbollah

You don't get any of the McLaren pit crew just saying "fuck this, I'm going home". His behaviour yesterday has really grated on me.

To be honest you saw their body language saying just that when they went out to greet his retirement in pit lane.

Aiii

So not worth it

Drivers without that kind of passion end up like Jolyon Palmer. That's what makes the difference between a good driver and a great driver.

You can't really compare an engineer with a thrill seeker like F1 drivers anyways, you don't drive like a maniac around race tracks and not get pumped full of adrenaline. Try coming down from that in 2 seconds and being all reasonable and calm.

He's being wasted, they keep promising him better material and yet it keeps breaking down, he's allowed to get pissed off right after he finds himself out once again.

nekkid

Drivers without that kind of passion end up like Jolyon Palmer. That's what makes the difference between a good driver and a great driver.

You can't really compare an engineer with a thrill seeker like F1 drivers anyways, you don't drive like a maniac around race tracks and not get pumped full of adrenaline. Try coming down from that in 2 seconds and being all reasonable and calm.

He's being wasted, they keep promising him better material and yet it keeps breaking down, he's allowed to get pissed off right after he finds himself out once again.

This is all true, but what is to gain by just dropping out? It's not like it's finally telling Honda how serious this situation is...

At the end of the day he is an employee who is there to do a job, the same as the rest of them. Just because he's high-profile and gets paid a fortune doesn't give him the right to just do as he pleases. What kind of example is that? That's going to be damaging to morale even beyond the shit situation.

I don't think the "it just shows his passion" is a reasonable excuse.

nekkid

Keeping an unreliable, upgraded engine alive when there is no chance of points.

If that's the measure of whether it's worthwhile, then there's probably 6 drivers each race that shouldn't even bother starting on Sunday.

Alonso's talent or McLaren's heritage doesn't make it acceptable just to give up because it's not where they think they deserve to be.

That's Ferrari-level toy throwing.

Force India threatens both drivers with race bans if they continue to behave like that on track :D

Really? This is the point at which they need a warning? They should be giving Perez a ban immediately.

Amus says McLaren want Honda to leave them so they can receive a $200m severance package to pay for Renault engines and The King Cunt

skysports-mclaren-honda-gossip-f1_3974447.jpg

Honda isn't interested in leaving F1, so it looks like McLaren will have to pony up $400m to leave Honda, acquire a supply of dud Renaults and pay for The King Cunt.

In Norris and Honda I Trust, can't wait to see them lap King Cunt next season.

Fox Mulder

I do think going to renault is a bit dumb.

It will cost a ton of money to divorce on top of Renault not paying like Honda. Renault will have four teams to supply at that point. Their factory team is progressing nicely as well.

Just let Alonso walk and wait around for 2020 with cheaper drivers. Im sure Williams wishes they could win like the old days too. At least Honda is paying the bills.

BigAl1992

I do think going to renault is a bit dumb.

It will cost a ton of money to divorce on top of Renault not paying like Honda. Renault will have four teams to supply at that point. Their factory team is progressing nicely as well.

Just let Alonso walk and wait around for 2020 with cheaper drivers. Im sure Williams wishes they could win like the old days too. At least Honda is paying the bills.

In all honesty though, what else can McLaren do at this point? They're effectively trapped in a corner; either side with their Driver and lose out on the Honda money, but get a decent engine in there and start repairing their reputation on the track, or side with Honda and get the cash but be seen as essentially a back marker team and lose out on sponsorship money along with getting top tier drivers to race for you? It's a classic Catch 22 they're in.

Jezbollah

....Honda isn't interested in leaving F1...

it doesn't seem interested in participating in F1 either.

This has to be the most pathetic attempt in supplying a F1 engine in history. And that includes the time cowboy backmarker teams tried to hoof road Lamborghini engines in the rear of their shitboxes in the 1980s.

Tubie

Amus says McLaren want Honda to leave them so they can receive a $200m severance package to pay for Renault engines and The King Cunt

skysports-mclaren-honda-gossip-f1_3974447.jpg

Honda isn't interested in leaving F1, so it looks like McLaren will have to pony up $400m to leave Honda, acquire a supply of dud Renaults and pay for The King Cunt.

In Norris and Honda I Trust, can't wait to see them lap King Cunt next season.

How does it make you feel that those "dud" Renaults are way faster and more reliable engines than the shit Honda is currently shitting out.

andshrew

Ron Dennis truly is an evil Mastermind

ps: fuck Ron Dennis for putting the team in the situation they're in. Glad he's gone from McLaren for good(?)

That's pretty unfair on Ron Dennis. McLaren were languishing in no mans land as a Mercedes customer in 2013-2014. Getting a works relationship with an engine supplier was the only way they would have a genuine chance of competing for world titles in this engine dominated formula. No one could have predicted just how bad the Honda engine would be, but at least they negotiated a very lucrative deal with Honda so they're not exactly going to run out of cash any time soon.

Zaru

That's pretty unfair on Ron Dennis. McLaren were languishing in no mans land as a Mercedes customer in 2013-2014.

That is kinda simplifying things too much.
In 2013, the engine wasn't the reason for their mid-field pace. Their chassis was. They fucked it up and admitted to that. That's on the team.
Through 2013, they were already set on Honda, so Mercedes didn't exactly treat them as the most favorable customer in 2014. But considering how flattered other teams were by the Mercedes engines... heck, they barely finished above Force India and were nowhere near Williams that year. Teams with a much lower budget. Whatever disadvantage they had from the engine was probably only a fraction of their chassis disadvantage, since they started from scratch again.

Now, of course, if they had a chassis able to compete at the top, then being a non-works customer would be an important difference. But McLaren weren't anywhere close to that during both years.

Jezbollah

That's Minardi territory from 2001. WTF!

I am utterly shocked that a engine manufacturer who have experience building engines is getting outclassed by Renault

Well, to be fair Renault have just as big a knowledge as Honda. You only have to look at the Williams days to see they had massive success (and indeed, Red Bull pre Turbo era).

I think Honda's issues are down to internal policy of rotating engineers between motorsports programs to "educate" them.

LoveCake

Alonso should be acting like a professional, but everyone has their breaking point, nobody thought that the paring of Honda engines and a McLaren chassis would be so poor, it was always going to take time a couple of seasons, but there has been no improvement at all, Alonso will have insider knowledge of what is going on behind the scenes more than any outsider will know about, Alonso's problem is that he has nowhere to go, he won't go to Mercedes because of Hamilton, he wouldn't be able to go back to Ferrari, Red Bull maybe if Verstappen can extract himself from the team, but then where does he go to as Mercedes and Ferrari are out of the question, and anywhere else will be a step down the grid really.

How many engines is Alonso's car on now, they only have so many to use, is it worth the wear on the engine for a future race if you are going to finish last, Spa is a power and speed circuit which is not suited to the power the Honda can give, why not save it for a race where speed and power is not so important?

Alonso is just venting, and to be honest the bosses at McLaren are not hiding their frustration very well either.

I am saying this as somebody that doesn't like Alonso very much due to the various controversies.

Why should we feel pity for Alonso. If anything he fucked himself with his actions during his first stint at McLaren and his time at Ferrari. Yes the motherfucker can drive but the only team principal that I think liked him was Flavio. I don't even hate Alonso either he's just sleeping in the bed he made. Also this isn't me excusing McLaren being shit. Honda should have been had their act together by now. Their traipsing across the track like embarrassments.

Alonso is the one who put himself in this position. He could be in a championship car right now if he hadnt walked away from Ferrari. He was a fool to not at least stick around for the first few years of the new formula.

Force India threatens both drivers with race bans if they continue to behave like that on track :D

"They"? I dont like the equal distribution of blame thats implied in that statement. Perez is a dangerous driver, he was 100% to blame for that second incident.

Alonso is the one who put himself in this position. He could be in a championship car right now if he hadnt walked away from Ferrari. He was a fool to not at least stick around for the first few years of the new formula.
I think by the time Alonso left Ferrari they damn near kicked him out if I'm remembering right. I don't know if it was like when Hamilton made the announcement that he was heading to Mercedes and McLaren practically stopped giving a shit about his car because I think he went into a race with a busted sway bar or some shit. I like the man, but I think internally he's a primadonna, yeah they all are, but I think there's an acceptable amount that the teams are willing to put up with, which is a threshold that Alonso himself shatters.

John_B

Mercedes or Ferrari would have to be completely out of driver options to sign Alonso. It's not going to happen. He can stay with McLaren or go to Williams/Renault, either way he ends his career with no more than two championships. He could have achieved much more with a less Machiavellian approach.

Mercedes or Ferrari would have to be completely out of driver options to sign Alonso. It's not going to happen. He can stay with McLaren or go to Williams/Renault, either way he ends his career with no more than two championships. He could have achieved much more with a less Machiavellian approach.

That nonsense at Mclaren was the beginning of the end. Had he stuck it out, it would have been one hell of a driver combo.

Fox Mulder

Even with his attitude, he could have been a 5 time champion if close seasons fell differently. Honda was a bold move but no one thought they would be garbage this long. No Merc customer team has won shit either this formula.

Burai

shitonmychest57
I think by the time Alonso left Ferrari they damn near kicked him out if I'm remembering right. I don't know if it was like when Hamilton made the announcement that he was heading to Mercedes and McLaren practically stopped giving a shit about his car because I think he went into a race with a busted sway bar or some shit. I like the man, but I think internally he's a primadonna, yeah they all are, but I think there's an acceptable amount that the teams are willing to put up with, which is a threshold that Alonso himself shatters.

Pretty much.

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/f1/mattiacci-and-alonso-real-story

Aiii

So not worth it
Hell froze over, or Renault is scared of losing car sales in The Netherlands, but Cyril Abiteboul (Dutch sauce) publicly apologised to RBR, Verstappen and all the Dutch fans for providing a shitbox.

This calls for a celebration:
rbrladsdancing5msyb.gif

Who knew the Frenchmen could be humble? This is after Alain Prost personally apologised to Verstappen after the race, too.

Hell froze over, or Renault is scared of losing car sales in The Netherlands, but Cyril Abiteboul (Dutch sauce) publicly apologised to RBR, Verstappen and all the Dutch fans for providing a shitbox.

This calls for a celebration:
rbrladsdancing5msyb.gif

Who knew the Frenchmen could be humble? This is after Alain Prost personally apologised to Verstappen after the race, too.

Perfect gif for a RBR 1-2 podium

wait... that's never gonna happen isnt it :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom