• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
That nonsense at Mclaren was the beginning of the end. Had he stuck it out, it would have been one hell of a driver combo.
That was never going to happen.
You can't have 2 dominant all time greats in their prime on the same team for long without turning into a shit show and someone wanting out.
At most it would have lasted 2 seasons like Senna and Prost.

That was never going to happen.
You can't have 2 dominant all time greats in their prime on the same team for long without turning into a shit show and someone wanting out.
At most it would have lasted 2 seasons like Senna and Prost.
I'm almost sort of at the belief that this would've been better for both Alonso and McLaren, but at the same time the internal politics of 2-3 seasons of that shit would've probably literally set the garage on fire. I would think at best Alonso would have one more championship and Hamilton would still probably have the same amount.

Slow is right. Even with DRS this is pathetic

i3fh1bqwihiz.gif

Oh come on, give that hard working engine a brake or two.

RSP

Thought this was interesting: Max was live in a talk show yesterday evening where he talked about what was going on and how messed up the situation was.

Aside from the obvious dancing around the topic of going to another team (which isn't going to happen) he did mention that when his engine arrived in Spa, there was a major issue with it (I believe the crank was either broken or faulty). It apparently came straight from the factory.

Also, after his DNF, they replaced one of the spark plugs, and the engine just ran like normal.

Zaru

Honda sadly doesn't have a monopoly on engines that get confused and fuck themselves.

Speaking of reliability, it's kinda impressive that Vettel and Hamilton have zero retirements so far. I'll be really surprised if this lasts until the end of the season.
Also, Ocon. Despite his skirmishes, he's the only other always-finisher besides those two.

John_B

Clever girl. Ferrari started playing the FIA games even before pre-season with the suspension ban. They can't really complain.

Razgreez

Clever girl. Ferrari started playing the FIA games even before pre-season with the suspension ban. They can't really complain.

Can't remember where I read it now, either Motorsport magazine or motorsport.com but it is postulated that the only reason the status quo between the top three teams did not remain similar between this season and last is due to the banning of the psudo-FRIC. It's why I find it amusing when some talk about Ferrari "closing the gap". I mean it's not a false statement it's just not happened in the way they inferred i.e. the banning led to Ferrari pulling Mercedes and Redbull towards themselves more than them (Ferrari) catching up to the other two in total performance. It's also why I find the positive pessimism à la "Mercedes will out develop Ferrari eventually" amusing since Mercedes' entire concept was built around the banned system and it's actually quite interesting that they are able to win races even without it. Shows how far ahead they might have remained were it not banned.

As long as Mercedes still wins both championships I don't mind since it's given us some decent races. Would be lying if I said I preferred it banned though.

John_B

Mercedes currently has two engines for each driver that are allowed the higher oil burn level. The older engine completed Silverstone and Hungaroring and the newer one completed Spa. I doubt those two engines will do a total of 11 races. It seems more likely Mercedes will use a fifth engine later (that has to conform to the lower oil burn level).

Ferrari also has an engine for each driver that are allowed the higher oil burn level. That engine completed Silverstone, Hungaroring and Spa. It also seems likely Ferrari will use a fifth engine later.

That would be something like 4-6 races for Mercedes to run with a higher level of oil burn and only 1-2 races for Ferrari. The Monza upgrade Ferrari is bringing could negate some of that advantage, so I doubt this move by Mercedes will completely kill the remainder of the season.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I did wonder why they bought in the engine so soon, but this makes sense. Spent all their tokens, too.

Presumably they'll just juggle the bits around to fill the rest of the season. It's looking unlikely Ferrari will need to break a 5th either, despite their early season usage.

Although I'm predicting one of Lewis' engines to go pop.

Par Score

The fuck is everyone complaining about this for?

According to an FIA technical directive issued in July, engines introduced before Monza would be allowed to run at an oil burn level of 1.2 litres per 100km.

I get that there's an ongoing hate-on for Mercedes and Hamilton, but this isn't even playing around with the rules, it's just following them very simply and directly. The FIA says "do this" and Mercedes does it, by the book.

Let's not forget they're competing against Ferrari, a team that regularly just outright breaks the rules then gets the FIA to change them after the fact.

Aiii

So not worth it
The fuck is everyone complaining about this for?

I get that there's an ongoing hate-on for Mercedes and Hamilton, but this isn't even playing around with the rules, it's just following them very simply and directly. The FIA says "do this" and Mercedes does it, by the book.

Let's not forget they're competing against Ferrari, a team that regularly just outright breaks the rules then gets the FIA to change them after the fact.

If you actually read my post and the other people's post you'd see we're complaining about the FIA creating this situation and not Mercedes exploiting it.

But I guess your fanboyism obscured your vision for a little while, it's fine.

Zaru

As long as Mercedes still wins both championships I don't mind since it's given us some decent races. Would be lying if I said I preferred it banned though.
This would be 2015 without overtakes if Mercedes had that kind of system. Careful what you wish for.

The oil burning thing for a few extra horse power is whack, is there a reason why it's being reduced instead of forcing everyone to allow 1.2 letre burn rates?

Fox Mulder

The oil burning thing for a few extra horse power is whack, is there a reason why it's being reduced instead of forcing everyone to allow 1.2 letre burn rates?

Renault didn't want to develop it due to cost so the FIA blocked it. Ferrari and Mercedes have been using it.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Do we know that Ferrari and Renault have also been burning more than 0.9 litres of oil in their engines? Them not doing the same as Mercedes would make sense if they never burned that much oil in the first place. (I haven't followed the news on this issue.)

Lego Boss

Wasnt the FIA referred to as Ferrari International Assistance at one point?

Spa 2007 when Hamilton was basically demoted from 1st to behind Kimi was when this was a massive thing.

Can't really imagine much has changed in 10 years especially as they haven't won a title in that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom