• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBT85

Amazing on that fuel efficiency

The 50% mark, which has not yet been reached on track, is much higher than a reported 29% efficiency peak that old normally-aspirated V8 engines produced.

Mercedes' first turbo-hybrid engine, which ran in 2014, had an efficiency rate of 44% and the 2017 unit allegedly produces 109bhp more using the same amount of fuel.

A column celebrating the achievement on Mercedes' official website said "the last time we saw these levels of power in Formula 1 was back in 2005, with a V10 that guzzled fuel at a whopping 194kg/hr" - almost double the fuel-flow rate.

That team confidence.

Fox Mulder

Red Bull is a great fit for Formula 1 for multiple reasons. It's the only brand that for years has been trying to appeal to young people inside the F1 circus while everyone was trying to impress the "Rolex crowd".

Also Red Bull has been the only team that keeps investing and trying to promote young drivers within the F1 ranks without forcing them to have a fat wallet behind them.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some but in the past 10 years they have given opportunites to Vettel, Ricciardo, Verstappen, Sainz, Kvyat, Speed, Vergne, Buemi, Liuzzi, Alguersuari... And I'm not counting those they had on their programme but didn't get a shot like Felix da Costa and others.

I'm not convinced that every other team combined has a bigger list of "drivers promoted by merit not by wallet" being given a spot in F1.

They are a big company in a post tobacco era willing to spend lots of money. They have a huge budget and do lots of marketing for the sport. No one else has two teams with one dedicated to grooming younger talent or even own a track on the calendar.

Fox Mulder

Sounds like Wehrlein won't get a seat next year: http://www.bild.de/sport/motorsport/pascal-wehrlein/hat-ein-alkohol-problem-53198784.bild.html

The Sauber owners are Ericsson supporters and will likely stick with him while Ferrari as the engine supplier calls dibs on the second seat and, for one reason or another, every other seat is unlikely to be available for him. Back to DTM?

He could go to the Mercedes FE team in 2019 or just be a reserve driver. Maybe this is just it for his f1 window. Younger talent is behind him and there's one less team on the grid than when he came in.

Sounds like Wehrlein won't get a seat next year:

The Sauber owners are Ericsson supporters and will likely stick with him while Ferrari as the engine supplier calls dibs on the second seat and, for one reason or another, every other seat is unlikely to be available for him. Back to DTM?

This is the second time the team keep point-less driver while sacking the driver that gives them points.

I know, money and all of that, but still...

What's thermal efficiency of Hondas engine? :)

47% with no burning oil.

Looks like an official announcement is coming Friday with the press conference line up:

Cyril Abiteboul (Renault)

Zak Brown (McLaren)

Yusuke Hasegawa (Honda)

Christian Horner (Red Bull)

Franz Tost (Toro Rosso)

In JK's Honda powered rocketship I trust

giphy.gif

DrM

Redmond's Baby

I do not know if Mercedes will switch DTM lineup for their final season... unless he will to another manufacturer.

Jezbollah

I sometimes forgot Wehrlein was still in F1. He's been non-existent.

At least we've been ripping on Palmer. Poor old Pascal has been forgotten.

Fox Mulder

I sometimes forgot Wehrlein was still in F1. He's been non-existent.

At least we've been ripping on Palmer. Poor old Pascal has been forgotten.

Because he's driving a Sauber shitbox. He was injured at the start of the season and has been in the points a few times. Now the new owners are favoring Ericsson.

Ocon just got a better seat and has done quite well.

Lach

This is the second time the team keep point-less driver while sacking the driver that gives them points.

I know, money and all of that, but still...

To be fair to Ericsson, he would have scored a point in Baku if they had been able to do a safe switchback at the end. They made the good old "Pascal is behind you and says he can take the guy in front of you. If he doesn't manage he'll give you the place back before the end" but it was to close to risk it at the end.

Still think Pascal is the better driver.

Razgreez

That's a bummer. But who knows, maybe Honda remembers how to build good and reliable engines until then. I mean, it's basically in their DNA to do exactly that.

Like it's in my dna to regrow limbs lol.

Well it potentially is it's just been deactivated: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/new-limb-regeneration-ins/

Anyway back on topic, the RB situation is precarious. If anything Honda's engine program has regressed. They're reportedly outputting more power but their reliability has been dismal. Seems unwise to allow them to have such a critical role in your future performance.

dl77

Oh god Palmer on driver's conference, he's gonna get slammed.

Ha, yeah I read that this morning. The FiA really do like shit-stirring in those things whenever they can. Assuming that he actually makes it to the conference and isn't canned beforehand I expect his weekend will include a lot of variations of "I don't pay attention to rumours. I just keep my head down, drive my best and prove that I should be here."

stryke

Pretty tame conference tbh.

Although after doubling down, Palmer could look like a fool if he does indeed get the boot before the season is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom