• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
McLaren has reached an agreement with Honda to be released from their partnership and switch to Renault power from the 2018 Formula 1 season, Motorsport.com has learned.
McLaren and Alonso be like:
giphy.webp

DD

Wasn't Honda who insisted in having Alonso with McLaren? Would they (McLaren) still want him there without that Honda money?

John_B

Ferrari managed to bring their PU into a competitive range. It's not unthinkable that Renault can do the same for next season. It could be a completely insane season with Hamilton, Vettel, Verstappen, Alonso and Ricciardo battling for wins.

NHale

In a "it's bollocks" or "that guy knows what he's talking about" kind of way?

He was the person last week (September 6th!) saying Sergio Perez was going to Renault. 3 days later: Sainz confirmed at Renault.

In reality, the silly season is largely hot air, with few major changes expected between now and next year. It looks like Sergio Perez will end up at Renault, Pascal Wehrlein at Force India, if the team can be convinced to take him, and Charles Leclerc at Sauber. Williams will likely remain unchanged unless the team can find someone over 25 who is better than Felipe Massa – and who hasn't already been and gone from F1. Hence the recent Kubica stories.

Think about it, everyone in the paddock was talking about the multiple deals being made to allow the McLaren-Honda split, which included Sainz going to Renault and Joe Saward trying to fill a tale out of his ass because it made sense for him. Even Perez a couple of days before said he expected to sign a new deal with FI in the following days...

John_B

Red Bull also wanted some kind of deal with Audi a few years back but it didn't seem like they were trying to sell the team. I'm not entirely convinced that this will happen. Selling the Toro Rosso team makes sense though.

Xando

There also were some rumors Porsche would join F1 a few weeks ago in german press. Apparently they have way too many people for a Formula E team and are thinking about joining F1.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Kind of a happy coincidence that Red Bull sent Gasly to a Honda team in Super Formula. He's currently second in the championship with the inferior Honda engine.

Randdalf

Kind of a happy coincidence that Red Bull sent Gasly to a Honda team in Super Formula. He's currently second in the championship with the inferior Honda engine.

He won the last two races as well, could well have had a shot at the title, but the final races of the season at Suzuka conflict with the US Grand Prix.

Jezbollah

I'd love to get the Porsche brand in F1, if it means we're getting rid of the Red Bull name.

I dont understand the Red Bull hate - they've been key in supporting F1 with two teams, and an array of other motorsports programs. We don't see anywhere as close a level of commitment from any other brand. Even if they do get bought out by Porsche, it shouldn't be celebrated.

I dont understand the Red Bull hate - they've been key in supporting F1 with two teams, and an array of other motorsports programs. We don't see anywhere as close a level of commitment from any other brand. Even if they do get bought out by Porsche, it shouldn't be celebrated.

I don't hate the team or anything they have achieved. They bought Jaguar, became competitive, stuck with the sport when actual manufacturers bailed and embarrassed most traditional teams with decades of experience for a long time. I actually really like them for having their own proper junior team on the grid and it would be a huge loss if both teams would leave the sport.

I just don't like the Red Bull brand and don't think it's a good fit for F1. It's a stupid way to see this and I admit that, but I feel like it cheapens the sport. This is F1 and not the X Games.

Can you imagine Lidl owning a team and plastering their ugly logo and colors all over the cars?
It's the same for me with Red Bull.

Is any of that true? Surely not. But do I believe it? Absolutely.

FrankCanada97

I don't hate the team or anything they have achieved. They bought Jaguar, became competitive, stuck with the sport when actual manufacturers bailed and embarrassed most traditional teams with decades of experience for a long time. I actually really like them for having their own proper junior team on the grid and it would be a huge loss if both teams would leave the sport.

I just don't like the Red Bull brand and don't think it's a good fit for F1. It's a stupid way to see this and I admit that, but I feel like it cheapens the sport. This is F1 and not the X Games.

Can you imagine Lidl owning a team and plastering their ugly logo and colors all over the cars?
It's the same for me with Red Bull.

Is any of that true? Surely not. But do I believe it? Absolutely.
I dunno, I kind of feel that way about some of the more higher end sponsors and brands. I feel too much of that gives the sport an elitist stigma.

Yagami_Sama

So, if McLaren deal with Renault is true, Honda should announce the deal with STR / RBT soon.

I wonder how, Alonso will behave from now on, knowing that Honda will be gone by the end of the year. Probably will retire from most races.

I really wish that next season McLaren won a race.

FrankCanada97

Porsche LMP driver Brendon Hartley will join Ganassi Racing in IndyCar for 2018. He is replacing Tony Kanaan in #10 car. With Ganassi potentially downsizing to two cars next year, IndyCar has an unofficial "Team New Zealand" with Scott Dixon and Brendon Hartley.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/144043-hartley-tipped-to-join-ganassi

This also means that Felix Rosenqvist is likely going to stay in Formula E next season. Although, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports is looking for a driver to replace Mikhail Aleshin's vacated seat. One of those potential replacements is current Mercedes DTM driver Robert Wickens. If he joins, IndyCar would also get an unofficial "Team Canada" with James Hinchcliffe and Robert Wickens.

Andretti Autosport signed Zach Veach to replace the departing Takuma Sato. He joins Marco Andretti, Ryan Hunter-Reay and Alexander Rossi. It's an unofficial "Team USA".

Pretty amusing seeing IndyCar evoke memories of A1GP. When was the last time F1 had multiple teams consisting of two drivers of the same nationality?

Fox Mulder

Red Bull has the best liveries though 👌

Toro Rosso you mean.

So, if McLaren deal with Renault is true, Honda should announce the deal with STR / RBT soon.

I wonder how, Alonso will behave from now on, knowing that Honda will be gone by the end of the year. Probably will retire from most races.

I really wish that next season McLaren won a race.

McLaren has nowhere to hide now. Redbull has really been the only team to grab podiums and wins at best when Ferrari and Mercedes have issues. McLaren should be up there too if their chassis is so good and was only dragged down by a Honda shitbox.

Porsche LMP driver Brendon Hartley will join Ganassi Racing in IndyCar for 2018. He is replacing Tony Kanaan in #10 car. With Ganassi potentially downsizing to two cars next year, IndyCar has an unofficial "Team New Zealand" with Scott Dixon and Brendon Hartley.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/144043-hartley-tipped-to-join-ganassi

Neat. Go win Indy and go to Redbull Porsche in a few years for the triple crown.

Toro Rosso you mean.

McLaren has nowhere to hide now. Redbull has really been the only team to grab podiums and wins at best when Ferrari and Mercedes have issues. McLaren should be up there too if their chassis is so good and was only dragged down by a Honda shitbox.

Neat. Go win Indy and go to Redbull Porsche in a few years for the triple crown.

Heh, I've heard a lot of "We have the best chassis on the grid, it's just the engine" We'll see when the Barcelona/Jerez '18 test roll around. Still excite tho!

Tubie

Honda is gonna leave F1 humiliated as fuck lol.

Can you even imagine that Honda engine in a bad chassis.

I don't think Renault can give McLaren a championship winning engine, but it can give Alonso one good enough for him to bother the top 4 and even win a few GPs.

Its way better for him to retire that way, instead of just trying to put a backmarker in the top 10 every race.

jey_16

Banned
Could you imagine how hilarious it would be if Honda turned up with a good engine next year

Alonzo would probably mow down the entire pit lane

Chuck

Still without luck
Honda is gonna leave F1 humiliated as fuck lol.

Can you even imagine that Honda engine in a bad chassis.

I don't think Renault can give McLaren a championship winning engine, but it can give Alonso one good enough for him to bother the top 4 and even win a few GPs.

Its way better for him to retire that way, instead of just trying to put a backmarker in the top 10 every race.

whoa now, let's not get too hasty.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Have AM got pockets deep enough? £400m a season ish is lost change to VAG.

I meant more about the AMRB01.

You're right that AML don't have the same money to throw around, but that won't mean much if contractual obligations are in place.

Could you imagine how hilarious it would be if Honda turned up with a good engine next year

Given his track record, it wouldn't surprise me. I kind of expect the engine to be decent next year.

Jezbollah

Red Bull's involvement in F1 goes back over 25 years. I don't know why now they're not a fit for the series.

I guess we'd rather have sponsors we like and end up with 12 cars on the grid.

NHale

Red Bull is a great fit for Formula 1 for multiple reasons. It's the only brand that for years has been trying to appeal to young people inside the F1 circus while everyone was trying to impress the "Rolex crowd".

Also Red Bull has been the only team that keeps investing and trying to promote young drivers within the F1 ranks without forcing them to have a fat wallet behind them.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some but in the past 10 years they have given opportunites to Vettel, Ricciardo, Verstappen, Sainz, Kvyat, Speed, Vergne, Buemi, Liuzzi, Alguersuari... And I'm not counting those they had on their programme but didn't get a shot like Felix da Costa and others.

I'm not convinced that every other team combined has a bigger list of "drivers promoted by merit not by wallet" being given a spot in F1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom