• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

stryke

What I don't understand is why does Renault need the Sainz incentive to agree to a engine swap with McLaren? It's not like they lost a customer...

Aiii

So not worth it
What I don't understand is why does Renault need the Sainz incentive to agree to a engine swap with McLaren? It's not like they lost a customer...

They wanted Sainz for a long time, and they're giving a direct big-budget competitor in the midfield a parity engine. That's why.

STR is not the same as McLaren.

Poor Taki, he found some unique ways to crash.

resize_tumblr_inline_mg61kjKiKt1r4cbl1.jpg

Fell off the back of the safety truck.

stryke

They wanted Sainz for a long time, and they're giving a direct big-budget competitor in the midfield a parity engine. That's why.

STR is not the same as McLaren.

OK now that sounds reasonable.

For some reason an article I read earlier argued they didn't want to lose face for TR ending the contract early.

Aiii

So not worth it
I can't wait for Crofty to moan all weekend how Palmer wasn't given a fair shot and engine problems and what not. Poor Joe, 1 point to his name, only thanks to Hamilton's engine blowing no less, never got his fair shake.

Carn82

I guess it sorta makes sense. McLaren + Renault should keep Alonso happy. Torro Rosso, who are a backfield team at the moment, gets to work out the kinks with Honda and gives them direct access to another engine manufacturer (next to Red Bull who will keep using Renault). If they manage to get back on track with Honda, Red Bull will be front row for a good engine deal. Renault is not happy with Palmer; but would like to get Sainz to improve their chances.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
According to what was heard at the presentation, the car will cost 2.275 million Euros, which comes to $2,723,288.75, assuming they don’t round up

Apparently, they will make two versions - one for the road and one for racing.

Aiii

So not worth it
I think it is amazing that you get great tech like that and people actually complain it is a 1.6 V6. Seriously, lol.

I think it is amazing that you get great tech like that and people actually complain it is a 1.6 V6. Seriously, lol.

Well, the complainer actually wont get it because he hasn't that almost 3 million bucks which the car apparently costs....

Sorry, but when it comes to parenting, F1 engines and Hypercars, I'm totally old school. We'll get that downsized engines which sound like a Honda Monkey with asthma across-the-board soon enough. Which is why for now I favor cars like the Ferrari the Ferrari, because not only the stupid data on paper sounds amazing but also the engine.

Scotch

I remember how big of a deal the Veyron was to reach 1000 hp. Now they can get that from a 1.6l V6. It's really damn impressive.

Fox Mulder

Well, the complainer actually wont get it because he hasn't that almost 3 million bucks which the car apparently costs....

Sorry, but when it comes to parenting, F1 engines and Hypercars, I'm totally old school. We'll get that downsized engines which sound like a Honda Monkey with asthma across-the-board soon enough. Which is why for now I favor cars like the Ferrari the Ferrari, because not only the stupid data on paper sounds amazing but also the engine.

Mercedes can make a badass sounding engine too though.

Razgreez

I remember how big of a deal the Veyron was to reach 1000 hp. Now they can get that from a 1.6l V6. It's really damn impressive.

They were getting a theoretical 1400bhp from a 4 cylinder 1.5l in the turbo charge 80s era. I know I know, theoretical, qualifying trim etc. 5+ bar of boost though... Ridonculous

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
well, when you don't have to worry about blowing up engines or sensitive electronics, you can boost up to your hearts desires.

dubc35

I'll be doing my part by watching what is broadcast on TV but nothing beyond that :(

Awesome opportunity though for people in the area. I'd LOVE to be a flagging marshal :(
Yeah I'm not anywhere close just trying to raise awareness. It seems like a lot of volunteers were/are affected by Harvey and Irma.

Working racing events is a hidden gem. There's usually up close and behind the scenes action, free admission, free meals, etc; not only higher level events but local grassroots events too. I've volunteered for the local Porsche club driving education events a couple times. Free lunch and free autocross time at the end of the day.

DBT85

They were getting a theoretical 1400bhp from a 4 cylinder 1.5l in the turbo charge 80s era. I know I know, theoretical, qualifying trim etc. 5+ bar of boost though... Ridonculous
Ha, they were indeed though they barely lasted through quali.

Imagine having at least 2 engines to use every weekend with no penalty. So far removed from what we have now.

Mercedes, never fully rid of its Newey complex, refused to let that crazy Aston Martin hog all the glory of "road cars with F1 specs," and thus we got this. They get some bonus points for bringing in the actual drivetrain! The motors on the crankshaft and turbo might be firsts for a "production" car? Because that's a silly level of complex and expensive tech to throw at an engine with tons of power where it would already have been easy to add slightly more power in other areas.

Those single-use qualifying engines of back then were the original foundations of limiting engine supplies that we have today, sadly. I'm amused by the gigantic gap in reliability that Honda can't make an engine last more than one weekend while Mercedes plans on shoving a version of theirs into a road car.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
On other Formula E news, there will be a testing from 2-5 October in Valencia. Ten teams will be there.

And we should get new Roborace update tomorrow .

KdotIX

It's a nice technical achievement, but doesn't look like a Mercedes at all. In fact if you'd take away the Merc badge I'd guess that it's a new Koenigsegg or some other exotic manufacturer.

Whats said in that article about the looks of the car seems right to me, a McLaren F1 on steroids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom