• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 7 |OT| The 7 you've been waiting for!

I genuinely think there's some kind of subtle rubberbanding going on with the AI.

Subtle?

8gFRKSd.gif

I feel like I'm in the wrong place here, since I'm not going to buy Forza 7, but I kinda need to get this off my chest:

Forza's economy was shit before, definitely for me. A lot of the very desirable cars - an Impreza, an old Golf GTI, a Supra, Renault 5 Turbo, AMC Javelin... are super cheap. It feels wrong to my to buy new supercars, if I can 10 other cars that are just as cool. Taking credit price tags from real world values never really seemed to work. Now an impreza and a Ferrari are closer together which makes more sense to me.

I always felt that gamifying assists was wrong. Turning off ABS to get 5% more race credits, when the real money actually came from level up money, not from race winnings meant under 1% (from the december 2015 economy change, it meant even less, maybe 0.3%)... and for what? Less than 1% more credits for turning off an ABS that is shit anyway and makes me slower, it's much easier to buy a brake upgrade and tune the brake pressure according to the calculated ideal braking distance and floor the brake pedal without ABS ==>shorter stopping distance, more earned credits. And why encourage ABS off anyway? The real life car comes with ABS, it was designed with a modern ABS in mind. The brake discs on modern hot hatches are show-off big, using the brakes without ABS sometimes means lock-up at something like 30% brake pressure.
Now you don't get credits for turning off assists anymore, which is - not great, but in theory better than before to me.

"turn racing fans into gamers and gamers into racing fans." - I loved that motto and love how Dan Greenawalt talks about their simulation. The simulation always comes first - make it the most realistic possible, then build game systems on top to make the cars controllable without a racing wheel and still let the player feel in full control. Where did this spirit go in the last 6 years? They're improving the simulation less and less, just adding more cars, a few more tracks and reorganizing a career mode that isn't immersive at all just so have somewhat of a path to follow to collect all the cars again.
I'm over that. I want that game where I can drive my old car from the 90s around the Nordschleife and everything is like I'm sitting in it. I want to read about this new feature of the BMW i8, try the car in Forza and this car feature is in the game. I want to watch Top Gear and see that the Lancer has Active Yaw Control and traction control modes for a wet track and be able to turn those nobs in game like in a flight simulator. Explore a Peugeot 504 in Forzavista with my dad and he'd talk to me about how he remembers this exact engine starter and door handle noise. That's the direction I wanted Forza to go, make the cars like I'm in them, fully functional.

They pick people up that are just "let's try this Forza thing, I'd like a good car game" - then they fall deeply and absolutely in love with the game - level up to level 500+ when they originally thought they'd only put 10-20 hours into it. They look forward to how awesome realistic this game will get with next iteration, what new cars will be in the game. But now we're at a point where 95% of the coolest cars ever are already in the game, every new car pack is less likely to have this amazing thing you always wanted to try but never could in any game so far. There are no new features in Forzavista, no new upgrade parts to try, no new tuning options, no new electronics simulated. It's not good enough.

Maybe when the current car models aren't good enough any more, maybe when VR takes off and you expect to be able to press these cockpit buttons, maybe then Forza will go where I wanted it to go again.

Gestault

Car and Driver: "Forza Motorsport 7 Is the Best Console Racing Game We’ve Played"

The intricacies, detail, and (eventual) imperfections of the on-screen vehicles capture the glamour and grit of motorsports as no title has done before. Flecks of tire rubber accumulated on the front splitter of our car throughout a night race at Daytona. After five laps of the new Dubai Circuit of the Emirates, a 1945 Jeep Willys MB we chose for the task ended up with a near photorealistic layer of desert sand on its windshield, including portions that stayed put just outside the arc of its wiper blade. ... As impressive as FM7 is as a technical exercise and simulator, it remains a game at heart—and a fun one at that. The new Forza Driver’s Cup career mode encourages stepping out of your vehicular comfort zone by competing in everything from prewar cars to 1000-hp racing semi trucks.

The Stig

odd, ive played every forza except 5 (i see the rubberbanding in horizon btw) and ive never noticed rubber banding at all.

Had a confirmation here, the pack of 5 mods you can get when you level up is incredibly OP. You only get purple or above mods, making it better value than the lootcrate that's priced at 50k.

odd, ive played every forza except 5 (i see the rubberbanding in horizon btw) and ive never noticed rubber banding at all.

6 had a really bad issue for a while where the AI in first would get really far away from the pack like in GT. I've never seen anything like that since they patched it though.

danowat

Banned
Had a confirmation here, the pack of 5 mods you can get when you level up is incredibly OP. You only get purple or above mods, making it better value than the lootcrate that's priced at 50k.

Also, someone earlier asked "but where are the ghost cars"? Here my friend, inside loot boxes.

3kSPj5K.png
What? Ghost car? Why?

Gestault

Also, someone earlier asked "but where are the ghost cars"? Here my friend, inside loot boxes.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but the ghost cars are in the Rivals mode. That's Time-Attack.

The picture you're showing was already a rare mod in Forza 6, which is different.

Ah, you got it now.

GHG

Gold Member
Does this still have endurance races in the career? I thought I read it doesn’t but I was just curious.

It does and you can turn most races into endurance races throughout the career. It's one of the few things I'm happy about with the career in this game.

I have yet to play a racing game where there is none.

I've played every forza motorsport game and have not seen rubber banding at all. I'm also fairly certain Turn 10 have discussed this before and took the position of not having this in a simulation oriented game.

Has anyone else had any crash issues on PC? I was scrolling through mods I had just opened when it froze and crashed...

The menu lag and cinematic stutter is also super annoying ._.

Specs:
4K resolution
i7 7770k
1080Ti
16GB DDR4

Has anyone else had any crash issues on PC? I was scrolling through mods I had just opened when it froze and crashed...

Specs:
4K resolution
i7 7770k
1080Ti
16GB DDR4
Not a crash, no. Menu's been generally fine at 4K and 8xMSAA. Same GPU and CPU (7700k) as you but 32GB RAM though the game never uses more than 12GB. Had a problem with the game refusing to start after pressing Enter or A. Just hanged. But reset it in Apps (and re-downloaded the vip and pre-order stuff as the reset deleted them). It worked after that. Maybe it'll fix it for you too?

MaDKaT

Specs:
4K resolution
i7 7770k
1080Ti
16GB DDR4

The first 3 races for the career I crashed 5 times. After though, I havent had a crash. Menu and cinematic stutter has been pretty minimal nothing at all like the demo. Similar specs but with a 1080 and more ram.

Klocker

Dammit.

They still haven't fixed the ridiculous undrivable dashboard reflection from the Rolls Royce that was there in Horizon 3.

yes some of those reflections are ridiculous, if it were really that bad in RL, you'd put something on the dasjph to block it lol

it's like an artificial difficulty

Rizific

Specs:
4K resolution
i7 7770k
1080Ti
16GB DDR4

i was only able to play for about an hour last night but i had one crash. It happened when flipping through color choices to paint my wheels. no error or anything, just spit me out to my desktop after a black screen. the menu stuttering and stuff was also present in FH3 but that got resolved pretty quickly. overall i havent yet experienced those 1-3 second freezes in game like i did in the demo but i have experienced some audio inconsistencies. more specifically, the audio of up/down shifting sometimes doesnt play which makes me think i didnt actually shift and so i up/down shift again. its weird.

Klocker

actually glad they took the emphasis off of PI in career, really like homologation.

more reasonable groupings of cars in races and less bullshit going back and forth between PI's to fit a car in race,

maybe after career I will boost some cars but never been a big fan of powering up much past it's intended PI target anyway

I just downloaded a 232MB update (?) on PC, but can't find any notes so far what it does.

Ok, I don't think it's a placebo.... the menus are much smoother now.

Yea, I can confirm they are definitely improved. Before, when I used to go to free play and the video screen was in the background of the car, the menu was a bit laggy there.. now it's perfectly smooth.

Good shit!

Top Bottom