• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 |OT| Rock You Like a Huracan

I'm in love with the game, but has there been a comment from the developer about the crashes?

It's a single but glaring flaw that is beginning to mar the experience for me. It seems like it might have something to do with reporting data to the server because my crashes always seem to occur with a discrete accumulation of points (e.g., smashing an XP sign).

I did the Horizon Finale last night, whilst Forza Horizon 2 is a strong contender for my GOTY I can't help but feel as though there's not a lot left for me to do apart from smashing the rest of the signs and doing the bucket list etc. Towards the end it began to feel like a grind which I suppose couldn't be helped by the championships not really being varied, each one had four events and no matter what car you'd be driving there'd be an off road race or a trail race. Doing an off road race in my TVR was edge of the seat stuff but it's not something any sane high end car owner would do in real life. As well as car packs I hope that we get additional event content as there's places like the runway and docks that are hardly utilised. Either way it's a great game and I feel that buying an Xbox One for it was justified.

Amir0x

Banned
My friend just said he's considering selling me his Xbox One for $250 guys. Comes with everything too, even though I'll just toss Kinect in the incinerator. He said he will even throw in a copy of Forza Horizon 2 for an extra 20 bucks! 270 for the lot! My heart!

I am so close to convincing him to part ways, I think this will finally be mine to adore in its fullness in a few days/weeks. I won't have to visit him every other day to obsess over it!

SO...CLOSE...NOW. I CAN TASTE IT

maneil99

My friend just said he's considering selling me his Xbox One for $250 guys. Comes with everything too, even though I'll just toss Kinect in the incinerator. He said he will even throw in a copy of Forza Horizon 2 for an extra 20 bucks! 270 for the lot! My heart!

I am so close to convincing him to part ways, I think this will finally be mine to adore in its fullness in a few days/weeks. I won't have to visit him every other day to obsess over it!

Does your friend not like money?

tuna_love

Banned

I plugged my Kinect back in just for Anna.

derFeef

Not enough doit.gif for that.

People complaining all that's left after the (first) finale is 100+ championships of racing - probably not folks who normally enjoy racing games.

If doing these races is a grind, then racing games aren't for you really. It's like saying "all I've got left in CoD is shooting stuff." Well yes, obviously.

Amir0x

Banned
It might surprise you. If you end up nabbing that deal, just give it a go (voice commands and UI navigation). Nothing to lose.

Already tried on Xbox 360; was atrocious. Tried a bunch of XBO at this friends house since launch, the voice commands fail 30% of the time for both me and my friend. Pass.

But yeah, unless I can find a way to sell it. Do these Kinect sell for anything decent these days? I never checked before.

Does your friend not like money?

Nah, he just needs money quick and he knows he can trust me to give him the money right away. Like, tomorrow if need be. He said he'd give me the decision on Friday and I'm pretty sure he's gonna do it because he seems to need the money due to some issues.

I don't know if it's taking advantage of him, since he's the one who threw the price out there. I wasn't about to go all "yeah dude I'll pay more", since $300 was always my limit on the system anyway :p

Jrs3000

Already tried on Xbox 360; was atrocious. Tried a bunch of XBO at this friends house since launch, the voice commands fail 30% of the time for both me and my friend. Pass.

But yeah, unless I can find a way to sell it. Do these Kinect sell for anything decent these days? I never checked before.

Nah, he just needs money quick and he knows he can trust me to give him the money right away. Like, tomorrow if need be. He said he'd give me the decision on Friday and I'm pretty sure he's gonna do it because he seems to need the money due to some issues.

I don't know if it's taking advantage of him, since he's the one who threw the price out there. I wasn't about to go all "yeah dude I'll pay more", since $300 was always my limit on the system anyway :p

Do it asap!! It's not taking advantage if he offered it lol. That beats the price I paid for all those mountain dew and doritos to win a xb1 at launch ($339, xb1 kinect, DR3). Flip the kinect on ebay you can get a good amount for it as standalone new costs $130 I think. Or keep it, some games use it decently like Aliens, D4.

Amir0x

Banned
Do it asap!! It's not taking advantage if he offered it lol. That beats the price I paid for all those mountain dew and doritos to win a xb1 at launch ($339, xb1 kinect, DR3). Flip the kinect on ebay you can get a good amount for it as standalone new costs $130 I think. Or keep it, some games use it decently like Aliens, D4.

holy shit dude you spent 339 on doritos and mountain dew!?

Dude, what would have happened if you still didn't get an XBO by the time you hit 500 dollars? lol. Amazing method though, maad props.

Kinect ain't for me... just so bad, but I'll see if I can flip it. Maybe 80 bucks to someone will sell fast? Get another game with Forza Horizon 2, will save it for Sunset Overdrive :eek:

Gestault

Rivals ladder selections seem to take club affiliation into account. Which means you're prioritized with teammates, after which, it seems to give you a shot at other club leaders. Of whom I just beat five. It's 3 am, and I have work in the morning, and this was totally worth it. This is the most fun I've had with something like this in a while. My ladder ranking also jumped up appropriately. Hot dawg.

Jrs3000

holy shit dude you spent 339 on doritos and mountain dew!?

Dude, what would have happened if you still didn't get an XBO by the time you hit 500 dollars? lol. Amazing method though, maad props.

Kinect ain't for me... just so bad, but I'll see if I can flip it. Maybe 80 bucks to someone will sell fast? Get another game with Forza Horizon 2, will save it for Sunset Overdrive :eek:

Yeah man that mt dew contest. It wasn't a lot of risk in the contest in the beginning and middle. Auctions were around the clock and they had charts that showed the average point cost for one. I set a target for slightly above the average and bid during the early morning and won with points to spare. I lucked out in that the points could be used on 711 site for prizes. Snagged a free year of live with them.

Do a auction with an buy it now option for like $70, that's what some of the bids are up too when I just looked. Or you can do local maybe Craigslist. Oh ya can't forget gamestop takes them but I'm not sure how much they'll give you.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah man that mt dew contest. It wasn't a lot of risk in the contest in the beginning and middle. Auctions were around the clock and they had charts that showed the average point cost for one. I set a target for slightly above the average and bid during the early morning and won with points to spare. I lucked out in that the points could be used on 711 site for prizes. Snagged a free year of live with them.

Do a auction with an buy it now option for like $70, that's what some of the bids are up too when I just looked. Or you can do local maybe Craigslist. Oh ya can't forget gamestop takes them but I'm not sure how much they'll give you.

Yeah, I'll try craigslist, i don't do ebay. Too many scams on ebay :p

But if not I guess whatever gamestop gives me will be better than nothing. And it'd just go toward a Sunset Overdrive pre-order.

I can't believe I might have an XBO before this year is out. All the games I want are piled up right at the same time, Forza Horizon 2, Master Chief Collection, Sunset Overdrive. I'll be in gaming nirvana *swoon*

squared

Why are the turbo/supercharger and BOV-sounds so.. bad? :( I really, really dislike the fact that those sounds are close to silent in almost all turbo or supercharged cars. The only really good one I've found so far is the RB26 (Skyline R32 and R34) engine sounds. But almost all other cars I've used (and installed the race turbo on) are super quiet, can barely hear them.

Might be nothing for most people, but I hate it :/

People complaining all that's left after the (first) finale is 100+ championships of racing - probably not folks who normally enjoy racing games.

If doing these races is a grind, then racing games aren't for you really. It's like saying "all I've got left in CoD is shooting stuff." Well yes, obviously.

I've had a couple posts with my thoughts on this, even mentioning the 100+ races (so perhaps this is somehow related to what I wrote) but my issue is that there's no progression or growth.

Without getting too deep into it your comparison is weak in that the appeal for many people with shooters isn't the single-player campaign, anyhow. Aside from that, if we're focusing on the single-player campaign they're designed to have a flow and generally become progressively more intense and have a story that draws you through from beginning to end. In Forza 2 the difficulty doesn't have any progression, the leveling doesn't ultimately matter or do anything other than earn you credits (free cars are essentially lumps of credits you can't choose how to spend), and the Championship you do right at the start is practically the same as the last one you do to unlock the Horizon Finale. The only reason I say practically is to cover the basis that the locations are fixed for the road trip and I can't recall if the first location for a championship is the same as the final location it picks. And there's some variance based on which championship you pick.

Regardless, the argument you're making is akin to saying people should just read any random book since they all have words, sentences, paragraphs, and chapters. Obviously that's not the case as people do have preferences and they need a compelling reason to keep going other than it simply "being there".

It's the whole reason the popularity of leveling and prestige in online shooters got copied and is used everywhere now. It was largely different on older shooters played locally because the competition mattered more than but now that everyone is faceless and you're paired up with random people the progression gives people more reasons to continue. This carries forth to the myriad championships yet no "reason" to do them. They're there. You're checking off the box. That's why people say it feels like a grind. We like to feel rewarded, be it story, in-game items, etc. Without that the payoff is very minimal.

Obviously this is largely my thoughts but at least it might help you understand why some people consider it a grind and don't feel satisfied by the design.

It might sound like harsh criticism but I've really enjoyed my twenty hours in the game and while I'll play more occasionally I feel it's majorly lacking in this department and partly why I'd give it an 8/10 if I were to review it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I don't think that is completely fair. The structure of the game pushes you towards the finale, and by the time you get there you've likely uncovered most of the roads/xp boards/camera etc. so it does feel a little empty after that.

That said, I sometimes get annoyed by driving games forcing structure on you (especially when they force you to race a tyoe of car you don't like) so it isn't terrible or anything, and I'm very happy that horizon lets you choose your style of racing at every turn, never forcing you into any particular type of car.

Regardless, the argument you're making is akin to saying people should just read any random book since they all have words, sentences, paragraphs, and chapters. Obviously that's not the case as people do have preferences and they need a compelling reason to keep going other than it simply "being there"..

No that's not my argument. I'm saying the racing hasn't changed. So perhaps they weren't really enjoying the racing in the first place.

I get the impression many younger gamers these days are just used to the endless flashing lights of loot and rewards - and often think they are enjoying a game because of it. But if you look at the core mechanic - it doesn't actually interest them.

For me each corner is something to look forward to. I really like racing/driving games. So the reward for me is playing the game, not spins at a wheel, levelling up and the like. I think there's a general problem with modern gaming that it is so loot/reward based that many people don't really know what games they really do like.

So when someone says that was good, but I'm done after the finale. I'm not criticizing that choice, I'm merely suggesting that the core driving mechanic was never something that really held their interest in the first place, even at the beginning. And they are so used to scripted linear games they think a game is done after that first finale even though there is so much left to enjoy - if they ever did enjoy getting wheels on the road.

glaurung

I received my copy only yesterday, along with Shadow of Mordor for the PS4.

So I sat down to play both of those and ended up playing just Forza for the entire evening. What an amazing game. Got as far as being able to buy an Aventador and went cruising with it.

The game kind of lulls you into a false sense of speed with the beginner cars. Once I found the Veneno bucket list (175 MPH speed camera), I realized just how different the hypercars feel. And I did not manage to complete the bucket list, even my best attempt ran 2 MPH below the target.

Still, this is a properly great game and one that makes me happy to own an Xbox One.

If you want to depress me with your stupidly good completion ratios and speed camera records, add gamertag: real glaurung

No that's not my argument. I'm saying the racing hasn't changed. So perhaps they weren't really enjoying the racing in the first place.

I get the impression many younger gamers these days are just used to the endless flashing lights of loot and rewards - and often think they are enjoying a game because of it. But if you look at the core mechanic - it doesn't actually interest them.

For me each corner is something to look forward to. I really like racing/driving games. So the reward for me is playing the game, not spins at a wheel, levelling up and the like. I think there's a general problem with modern gaming that it is so loot/reward based that many people don't really know what games they really do like.

So when someone says that was good, but I'm done after the finale. I'm not criticizing that choice, I'm merely suggesting that the core driving mechanic was never something that really held their interest in the first place, even at the beginning. And they are so used to scripted linear games they think a game is done after that first finale even though there is so much left to enjoy - if they ever did enjoy getting wheels on the road.

I don't agree with you but I understand what you're saying. I'm just going to suggest that what you derive enjoyment out of is different than others and I don't think that means those others "don't know what games they really do like."

Fair enough.

Meanwhile that Jaguar F-Type R in the Mobil Car Pack might be my most favourite car I've ever driven in a game. It looks great and handles beautifully. I've a feeling I'm going to be doing as many events as possible with it.

T.O.P

Banned
"At the roundabout, take the second exit"

Sick-Laugh-GIF.gif

Try it out. It is a LOT better. Also, wait until you have calibrated your unit and set it up properly (raising ambient noise volume as you set it up) - before you make a decision. I mainly use mine for skype, Record That and for ANNA.

Also, this is the only game that has ever given me a true sense of high speed. I was doing a missions where i had to race a MP4-12C as part of a bucket list, as i hit 300kph on a road with other cars coming towards me, i got that feeling in the pit of my stomach that only happens when im on a roller coaster or going down a quick hill - it is the only game to ever do that to me.

jem0208

Oh man, infected is stressful and awesome.

Just had an infected Audi R8 jump straight over me whilst I did a 180 to get away.

T.O.P

Banned
Also, this is the only game that has ever given me a true sense of high speed. I was doing a missions where i had to race a MP4-12C as part of a bucket list, as i hit 300kph on a road with other cars coming towards me, i got that feeling in the pit of my stomach that only happens when im on a roller coaster or going down a quick hill - it is the only game to ever do that to me.

Shit is insane, my first time in the Veneno for the Bucket list had me going to 3rd person view because hood was just too fast at first

Me and a friend want to win every single championship.

Shit is insane, my first time in the Veneno for the Bucket list had me going to 3rd person view because hood was just too fast at first

oh so its not just me. That bit literally made me feel sick when i saw how quick everything was moving. I couldnt slow down either or i wouldnt have made it.

piggychan

I'm in love with the game, but has there been a comment from the developer about the crashes?

It's a single but glaring flaw that is beginning to mar the experience for me. It seems like it might have something to do with reporting data to the server because my crashes always seem to occur with a discrete accumulation of points (e.g., smashing an XP sign).

I think I experienced my last crash in a similar situation, I am sure it was a travel board I rammed into then a few secods later the game freezed up and the music just stuttered before the game resetted after around 5 seconds and then reloaded itself back up.

Also I can't get enough of bucket 8 OUTRUN THE SUN. You know playground games love their AM2 outrun. Wish I could drift all through that run like a boss....

outrun1.jpg

But that music for that particular run, it's gotten trapped in my head!

http://youtu.be/LUOIvT9hzD8

redilyn

Neo Member
My friend just said he's considering selling me his Xbox One for $250 guys. Comes with everything too, even though I'll just toss Kinect in the incinerator.

Don't consider throwing away the kinect until you have tried it.
I feel that the kinect voice commands add a lot to the xbox one, without it snapping apps for example is more of a chore then it should be.

Compared to the kinect 1 the new kinect is much better in all regards.
I realize the internet will tell you otherwise so you'll need to try it for yourself to see if you like it.

Amir0x

Banned
redilyn said:
Don't consider throwing away the kinect until you have tried it.
I feel that the kinect voice commands add a lot to the xbox one, without it snapping apps for example is more of a chore then it should be.

i already tried the Kinect various times on XBO at my friends house like i said. Both me and my friends voice commands fail approx. 30% of the time from the samples we kept doing to test it. 10% failure would be too high for me, but at the rate it was failing it was just pure frustration. And I'm certainly never going to use the abominable thing to play any game after my experiences with the things other functions, so it's useless for me basically. Plus I don't really intend to use snap often if at all, I'm a one image on screen guy. I like to totally focus on my task at hand when playing or watching something.

I'm just glad I can get the system for this price if he goes ahead. I'm like jumping in my seat waiting to hear his answer Friday, I was totally sure I would have to wait til Black Friday after missing that amazing deal from the Microsoft store a few weeks back. I didn't quite make it in time for Forza Horizon 2 launch day, but this will allow me to be there day one for Sunset Overdrive and Master Chief Collection. And now I can be there day one for the new Phantom Dust and Scalebound and Forza 6 and Gears of War and oh gosh I'm so pumped right now

Oh man, how is the online competition like for Horizon 2? I can't wait my God. I feel like I've been waiting for this all my life lol

glaurung

Something else I forgot to mention in my first impressions post (somewhere on the last page) - head to head Pro Driver challenges are properly fun. Also one of the best methods to earn real money real quick. Plus depending on the location of the challenge, you can cheat like a madman, cutting through fields and sometimes shortening your path by more than two thirds.

The AI driver rarely cuts across fields in these challenges.

piggychan

i already tried the Kinect various times on XBO at my friends house like i said. Both me and my friends voice commands fail approx. 30% of the time from the samples we kept doing to test it.

I think you have to calibrate it to recognize only your voice.

Top Bottom