• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 |OT| Rock You Like a Huracan

KePoW

Banned
I'm really frustrated with this game and all of the cross country races right now. I'm not a car guy by any means so I know absolutely nothing when it comes to car customization or configuration. I'm in a muscle car race that has me driving in a cross country race. Let's just say, I have to go buy another controller now because mine is currently in pieces. How am I supposed to set up a SRT Viper GTS for cross country races? I really don't want to trade the game in, but I can go around breaking controllers because of a game. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1st tip -- look into anger management courses

2nd tip -- don't use Viper for cross country... in fact, don't use Viper at all =P

arm812

1st tip -- look into anger management courses

2nd tip -- don't use Viper for cross country... in fact, don't use Viper at all =P

The championship I'm in is forcing me to race with a muscle car, so not using a Viper doesn't really help. Whether its a Viper or Challenger or any other muscle car the results will be the same.

I'm really frustrated with this game and all of the cross country races right now. I'm not a car guy by any means so I know absolutely nothing when it comes to car customization or configuration. I'm in a muscle car race that has me driving in a cross country race. Let's just say, I have to go buy another controller now because mine is currently in pieces. How am I supposed to set up a SRT Viper GTS for cross country races? I really don't want to trade the game in, but I can go around breaking controllers because of a game. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The biggest piece of advice I could give for the off-road events is two-fold:

* You can't go straight forward from one checkpoint to the next, you really have to plan out the next checkpoint and make sure you've got time to attack it from the right angle. This isn't something you're going to be able to do for most of the checkpoints on the first time through. But its key to keeping your car stable and not losing time sliding past the turn markers while the AI drivers bee-line it perfectly. Be prepared to run the event a few times and keep a close watch on what the AI cars are doing - they'll give you a good sense - though not a 100% pass.

* When you need to take a turn sharply in these off-road events, lift off the throttle. Your turn radius will tighten dramatically and you won't lose much speed because everybody's car is bouncing around as it is.

* Extra bonus for muscle cars - buy the stability upgrades like the roll bars and roll cage those will help make that muscle act less like a boat. You can off-road with any car in Horizon 2 so its really just a matter of minimizing the weaknesses of each car class while accentuating the positives - so use that torque and straight line speed.

I'm no expert, but this is what works for me.

arm812

* You can't go straight forward from one checkpoint to the next, you really have to plan out the next checkpoint and make sure you've got time to attack it from the right angle. This isn't something you're going to be able to do for most of the checkpoints on the first time through. But its key to keeping your car stable and not losing time sliding past the turn markers while the AI drivers bee-line it perfectly. Be prepared to run the event a few times and keep a close watch on what the AI cars are doing - they'll give you a good sense - though not a 100% pass.

* When you need to take a turn sharply in these off-road events, lift off the throttle. Your turn radius will tighten dramatically and you won't lose much speed because everybody's car is bouncing around as it is.

* Extra bonus for muscle cars - buy the stability upgrades like the roll bars and roll cage those will help make that muscle act less like a boat. You can off-road with any car in Horizon 2 so its really just a matter of minimizing the weaknesses of each car class while accentuating the positives - so use that torque and straight line speed.

Thanks for the input. I'll give that your suggestions a shot because I'm really close to wiping my hands clean of this game and just trading it in.

GHG

Gold Member
The championship I'm in is forcing me to race with a muscle car, so not using a Viper doesn't really help. Whether its a Viper or Challenger or any other muscle car the results will be the same.

Try raising the suspension, wider tires, anti roll bars and doing the 4wd drivetrain swap if you can.

But yeh they shouldn't be making you take standard muscle/super cars off road in the game... Stupid game design.

And since they insist on you taking pretty much every car you own off road regardless of suitability they should have at least put in rally/off road tires to help and also a rally conversion mod for certain cars (for example Subaru's).

Definitely plan ahead by peeking at the map & lift off the throttle while turning. Also are you using manual?
Having the ability to downshift to get some more rpm while going up hill is a good way to make up some ground.

GHG

Gold Member
Definitely plan ahead by peeking at the map & lift off the throttle while turning. Also are you using manual?
Having the ability to downshift to get some more rpm while going up hill is a good way to make up some ground.

Being able to up shift early in low traction/high torque situations also helps to stop you spinning out.

And since they insist on you taking pretty much every car you own off road regardless of suitability they should have at least put in rally/off road tires to help and also a rally conversion mod for certain cars (for example Subaru's).
None of the rally expansion stuff seems to have made it into Horizon 2's base game, which is crazy to me. That was the very best stuff in H1.

GHG

Gold Member
None of the rally expansion stuff seems to have made it into Horizon 2's base game, which is crazy to me. That was the very best stuff in H1.

Ah it was in the 1st horizon? I guess we all know what that means then...

I was really surprised basic things link off road tires weren't even in. Seemed like a no brainer to me since they put so much emphasis (rightly and wrongly) on going off road in the game. It was going to be my 1st upgrade until I realised they didn't exist.

Sydle

Ok all, I'm looking for the dreaded last road.

What were some of the places you found last??

The two half circles at the main festival grounds. The map made it look like they were driven, but I just now drove on both and achieved 315 roads discovered.

Good God, the F40 is glorious. I've just been cruising around, relaxing and taking in the scenario. I'd love it if they added the option of fuel and petrol stations dotted around the map. I know it sounds mental, but I also like trying to obey the general rules of the road (30 in a built up area etc...).

I'm having fun.

Kalm

Yea, the game is definitely ill-equipped for rally.

It's impossible to get proper shock travel so you're always going to be stuck with stiff springs and a low'ish ride-height if you value handling. You can drop the ARBs to 1 but, without proper travel, it doesn't really make a difference.

Luckily...it really doesn't matter. You don't need a rally setup. You don't need rally tires. This isn't a sim. The fact that we can make it to the first checkpoint of a cross-country sprint in a RWD muscle car -- w/ racing slicks and 1000 ft-lbs of torque -- is a miracle in and of itself and should serve as a reminder to everyone that we are playing an arcade game here.

You can easily tune any car in this game to win cross-country races and it's literally the same setup that stabilizes it on tarmac***.

except maybe the Henessey...that thing is ridiculous.

strata8

LOVED this race.

Ly9ktjJ.gif

2AHUVnc.gif

There's something amazing about going crazy speeds in super light cars.

Anybody have any tips on doing a good drift tune? I never tried to drift in FM5 so I'm not really sure what the heck comprises a good drift setup. I kind of went for an off the ball car for starters; so I got a VW Bug with a V8 swap so there is plenty of torque.

As for tuning setup I'm thinking the alignment and differential stuff is the most important.

Tire pressure is at 45 psi in the front and 18 in the rear
-4.0 degrees camber in the front and -1.2 in the rear
toe is +2.0 in the front and -1.2 in the rear
Caster angle is at 5.5 degrees
anti-roll bars are set a little looser than stock, with the rear being about 10 lbs stiffer
upped the spring rates from stock more or less evenly
front damping is at max
diff's set at 50% and 15% for the front and rear

Like I said, never really tried to do this sort of thing in Forza, but it'd be cool to have a drift set up to cruise around in. So any tips would be appreciated. The car is a train wreck to drive at the moment, but has relatively good throttle control. It just gets loose to the point of no recovery more often than I'd like.

Prototype

What happened to the days where the hardest challenges were part of the fun?
I hear you, I really do.

I grew up and cut my teeth on the NES, brutal as fuck and unforgiving games like ninja turtles, ninja gaiden, battle toads, ect. And I love the Souls series, from demons on up, played and beat them all.

But at a certain point, not every game has to be a tough as balls challenge. It suits some genres better then others.

Seanspeed

Banned
What happened to the days where the hardest challenges were part of the fun?
Nothing happened to that. There has never been a time in gaming where everybody has enjoyed doing the most difficult challenges in games. Have you completely forgotten that cheat codes used to be common?

What happened to letting people play a game how they want to?

I hear you, I really do.

I grew up and cut my teeth on the NES, brutal as fuck and unforgiving games like ninja turtles, ninja gaiden, battle toads, ect. And I love the Souls series, from demons on up, played and beat them all.

But at a certain point, not every game has to be a tough as balls challenge. It suits some genres better then others.

As a fellow NES'er, I gave up on that rally event as well. I'll equate it to the "Adventures of Batman and Robin" on the Genesis.

I was on metacritic looking at some reviews for other games, and I noticed FH2 went down from 86 to 85. Thought id see what the latest review was........Tom Chick gave it a 2/10. LOL.

Evo X

I was on metacritic looking at some reviews for other games, and I noticed FH2 went down from 86 to 85. Thought id see what the latest review was........Tom Chick gave it a 2/10. LOL.

They also gave Halo 4 a 2/10. Why the hell are such obvious click-bait sites not banned from Metacritic?

I appreciate tough, replayable challenges but only really as side missions these days. If I'm stuck on something for a week (don't have a lot of time to play) then I lose interest.

jem0208

As negative as it is, I agree with some of the points.
I agree that wristbands are kinda pointless.

That's about it. It's such a rambling review, that it's hard to actually pick out what the complaints are. There doesn't appear to be any structure at all...

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I hated team racing at first but now.
Its like my favorite event.

Just make sure you have 2nd and 3rd on lock and you are pretty much guaranteed to win.

I always shout at my teamates if they try fighting with me while we are winning, i literally let them pass just so we can lock the points and not accidentally fuck each other over.

Terrible review. I'm not even sure why this person's opinion is counted, and looking at his Wikipedia bio, it's for the entirely wrong reasons:

Oscar's lover Gil in the US version of The Office

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
that review is on a whole other level LMAO. This Tom Chick guy has deffo let me know to never pay attention to anything he says...ever :D

Anion

So, for the first time in a Forza game I had to accept 2nd place in the campaign was the best I could do...
I just cant drive a Supra across a golf field lol. Its mostly my fault since I kept the suspension really low and tight. Nonetheless, this game is way too fun

Certinty

The AI/Drivatars are too easy in this game? Even when they do beat me and have the lead in the championship the leading ones always flop the last few events practically handing me the championship. I remember in the first I had to work my ass off just to finish on the podium on the hardest difficulty but in this it's nothing like that.

So, for the first time in a Forza game I had to accept 2nd place in the campaign was the best I could do...
I just cant drive a Supra across a golf field lol. Its mostly my fault since I kept the suspension really low and tight. Nonetheless, this game is way too fun

I win every race except cross country. I have accepted 2nd on many occasion, because of how I set up the car. But I like the pressure it adds to the other races in the championship.

Anion

The AI/Drivatars are too easy in this game? Even when they do beat me and have the lead in the championship the leading ones always flop the last few events practically handing me the championship. I remember in the first I had to work my ass off just to finish on the podium on the hardest difficulty but in this it's nothing like that.
Im guessing you already have high difficulty setting enabled. At first, besides the rally races which are just crazy, the game didnt feel too hard as I would leave the competition in dust after the 65% mark. However, now since I joined the "Gaf" club, the races are pretty intense.

mrJared

Banned
From what I've played of it, his assessment of horizon is spot on... game just is so similar to the last one, and the game just looks sterile. roads and buildings just look fake, and the watery asphalt doesn't look great... plus the AF is turned to off apparently making it look blurry mess just few feet in around your car.

too samey for me. probably a 5/10 for me, but I can see the 2

GHG

Gold Member
For those who are curious but don't want to give any clicks:

Honestly reads like he's never actually played the game.

I agree with the majority of his criticisms but in no way is this game a 2/10. It's like the score exists to balance all the shitty (and by shitty I mean unreasonably shitty) scores that Driveclub got.

God reviews are a mess these days.

T.O.P

Banned
From what I've played of it, his assessment of horizon is spot on... game just is so similar to the last one, and the game just looks sterile. roads and buildings just look fake, and the watery asphalt doesn't look great... plus the AF is turned to off apparently making it look blurry mess just few feet in around your car.

too samey for me. probably a 5/10 for me, but I can see the 2

Blurry just a few feet from your car, sterile?

Are you playing on a crt?

That review reads like a total joke

Top Bottom