• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2 |OT| Rock You Like a Huracan

From what I've played of it, his assessment of horizon is spot on... game just is so similar to the last one, and the game just looks sterile. roads and buildings just look fake, and the watery asphalt doesn't look great... plus the AF is turned to off apparently making it look blurry mess just few feet in around your car.

too samey for me. probably a 5/10 for me, but I can see the 2

You're concentrating an awful lot on the visuals.

Krilekk

Banned
For those who are curious but don't want to give any clicks:

Honestly reads like he's never actually played the game.

Hmmm, I actually find he makes some very good points. Not points that justify a 2/10 or even a 5/10 but there's a lot of truth in his statements. I grew up with the first F1GP by Geoff Crammond and racing was much more difficult back then. In Forza 5 it's ok to turn off the racing line and actually race, because you don't have to be 1st to progress. Horizon 2 is back to "win every race", it only rewards first places. Yes, very often the second place driver in a championship will be there until the fourth race - only to make the last place in that race. But you can't be sure of that and thus you need every advantage you can get. Which means keeping the racing line on. All the assists in Horizon 2 are there for a reason: If you do a race without the line, with full damage and no rewinds and medium Drivatars you're losing by default. Destroyed by AI.

watership

From what I've played of it, his assessment of horizon is spot on... game just is so similar to the last one, and the game just looks sterile. roads and buildings just look fake, and the watery asphalt doesn't look great... plus the AF is turned to off apparently making it look blurry mess just few feet in around your car.

too samey for me. probably a 5/10 for me, but I can see the 2

I don't know what game you're playing at all here.

Bessy67

Metacritic should disregard the highest and lowest 2 or 3 scores when calculating the average in order to remove outliers. It's bullshit that reviews like that affect metacritic scores which in turn can affect bonuses that devs receive.

If you do a race without the line, with full damage and no rewinds and medium Drivatars you're losing by default. Destroyed by AI.

I don't feel like this is the case.

Admittedly, I have run with full racing line and even rewind on for some of the offroad courses until I was familiar with them, and I do shut off realistic damage for the 20-minute races.

But outside of that, I run with braking line and normal steering -- I use controller -- as my only assists and win most of the time against Pro drivatars.

I'm getting better with upgrading and tuning too and feel like I should be able to win with some consistency against Unbeatable (or whatever it's called) drivatars soon.

Metacritic should disregard the highest and lowest 2 or 3 scores when calculating the average in order to remove outliers.

Agreed.

ShamePain

Banned
All the assists in Horizon 2 are there for a reason: If you do a race without the line, with full damage and no rewinds and medium Drivatars you're losing by default. Destroyed by AI.

Lolwut? No assists, manual transmission, Drivatars set to a level just below unbeatable, 30 championships in and haven't lost a single one. The AI is competitive but there is rubber banding in player's favor, at least that's what it feels like to me, without ever using rewind I can still catch up in most cases if I crash.

Metacritic should disregard the highest and lowest 2 or 3 scores when calculating the average in order to remove outliers. It's bullshit that reviews like that affect metacritic scores which in turn can affect bonuses that devs receive.

Would be interested to know the scores of certain games taking this into account.

So I've found I basically have to turn sim damage off online. I use it in solo no problem, but I get fucking destroyed by people online and half the time it seems my car can't even make it to the finish it's so wrecked.

Why, though?

It is (as I understand it) fairly common practice to discard any clear outliers so they don't skew the data. Having a standard 2-3 is a bit much, but there should be some sort of curation process to make sure that overly positive and overly negative scores don't screw up the average. Like, if everyone and their mother is giving a game 6's, the sole 10 should probably be ignored.

BizzyBum

Some of his points are fair, but even with its faults there is no way this game is a 2/10, that's ridiculous.

Anyone want to do some roadtrips?

Bessy67

Why, though?
To stop shit like this, when 1 review out of 68 has the power to lower the metascore by 2 full points. The next lowest score is 7/10, so their 2/10 score is obviously complete bullshit only written to generate clicks for their site.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
bucket list: race the sun, ferrari f40.

man, this game is something special.

i gotta say though, the "complete 4 races in a championship, then road trip for 4 more, then road trip for 4 more, then road trip for 4 more" structure definitely wasnt a good idea. it masks the open world freedom the game offers and hides it behind this artificially limiting linear experience.

I'm really frustrated with this game and all of the cross country races right now. I'm not a car guy by any means so I know absolutely nothing when it comes to car customization or configuration. I'm in a muscle car race that has me driving in a cross country race. Let's just say, I have to go buy another controller now because mine is currently in pieces. How am I supposed to set up a SRT Viper GTS for cross country races? I really don't want to trade the game in, but I can go around breaking controllers because of a game. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think along with taking others advice on setup I would suggest not doing those races for now. I don't think that particular championship is suited for beginners. Driving those muscle cars are challenging even with a lot of skill.

I would suggest trying a few different championships and really getting the hang of the driving mechanics before doing any modern muscle car races.

bucket list: race the sun, ferrari f40.

man, this game is something special.

i gotta say though, the "complete 4 races in a championship, then road trip for 4 more, then road trip for 4 more, then road trip for 4 more" structure definitely wasnt a good idea. it masks the open world freedom the game offers and hides it behind this artificially limiting linear experience.

You don't have to do them back to back to back though. There's many things to do between races and championships. That's where the freedom lies in my opinion.

What would you suggest?

op_ivy

You don't have to do them back to back to back though. There's many things to do between races and championships. That's where the freedom lies in my opinion.

What would you suggest?

i'm aware of that, but i'm not sure the wider audience would be and i personally found this structure quite a bit more dull. i think an improvement would be to simply remove that format after the completing the first championship and roadtrip. its been awhile, but isnt this basically how horizon 1 did it?

i'm aware of that, but i'm not sure the wider audience would be and i personally found this structure quite a bit more dull. i think an improvement would be to simply remove that format after the completing the first championship and roadtrip. its been awhile, but isnt this basically how horizon 1 did it?

No, the original game grouped events by wristband colour. So you would see colour coded events all over the map. As you earned each band more events would appear on the map.

Gestault

Finished the finale the other night, kept playing for a few more hours. This game has impressed me more and more over time. Definitely among my favorite racers. The club aspect made the Rivals structure more compelling, particularly paired with GAF. The mixed surface races on higher drivatar settings seem perfect. Also, I won a GT-Four (an old favorite) in the prize wheel, and it carried me through basically the rest of the game.

Ya'll need to see the madness on the leaderboard for this track event.

Kssio_Aug

What? 2/10 for FH2 and scoring on Metacritic? Thats pure bs. Unbelievable. There should definitely be a "control" to prevent this kind of thing to affect Metascore this much.

op_ivy

No, the original game grouped events by wristband colour. So you would see colour coded events all over the map. As you earned each band more events would appear on the map.

right. that was a better system IMO as it reinforced the open-worldness and felt more free to chose what to do next. again, i understand you can also do virtually the same in horizon 2, but the game seems to lead players into the more restrictive path of championship --> road trip ad nauseum.

right. that was a better system IMO as it reinforced the open-worldness and felt more free to chose what to do next. again, i understand you can also do virtually the same in horizon 2, but the game seems to lead players into the more restrictive path of championship --> road trip ad nauseum.

I think they should come up with a different system for sure. One with a more integrated story and a better sense of progression while also integrating a sense of freedom to explore and do the other things.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I'm not sure what format would help after the initial finale. I did a mix of racing and exploring and had unlocked most things in the world by the time I did the first finale. so I now still have 150 championships to do which are a lot of retreads of tracks I've already raced on, and almost nothing left outside of that. And there is no real sense of progression or achievement? It has turned very quickly from me playing it solidly since launch to just jumping in for a championship now and then.

Really? I rather dislike that system and I feel actually more restricted to drive only in my wristband color race versus this where I can just pick whatever race I want at the time.

I think the road trip is just their way of getting you know the road and point you to the next destination without using the "menu" system that is common with most racer. Sure they probably could make it better but I find this way I have more freedom to go where I please (actually sometimes too much freedom) because I find myself just driving around doing other thing rather than finish up the championship.

I don't feel very restricted by the structure. But then this is my favourite genre and I get a lot of fun out of just driving around.

Just like in Forza 5 I'll pick a car, spend some time racing it stock. Then maybe choose some upgrades, then spend time driving/tuning it. Maybe paint it. And then take that tune out for some races. And that's some hours gone by all on one car.

With hundreds of cars to experience both Horizon 2 and Motorsport 5 will keep me plenty busy until the next game in the franchise.

Bessy67

Really? I rather dislike that system and I feel actually more restricted to drive only in my wristband color race versus this where I can just pick whatever race I want at the time.

I think the road trip is just their way of getting you know the road and point you to the next destination without using the "menu" system that is common with most racer. Sure they probably could make it better but I find this way I have more freedom to go where I please (actually sometimes too much freedom) because I find myself just driving around doing other thing rather than finish up the championship.
The road trip system is great as it gets you to drive from point to point exploring the map. However I think it would be nice if after the credits roll you were able to have a championship open at each hub simultaneously. I'm still really loving the game but now that I'm on my 35th championship I really think it would be nice to not have to do 4 races in a row with the same car class.

Noobcraft

Sadly with the most dominant console being all about graphics so far this gen, we have lost a lot of gameplay talk to pure effects and resolution speak.
Outside of bull shots I'd argue that Forza Horizon 2 looks better than Driveclub. I own both and Driveclub has moments of absolute beauty (tunnels mostly) mixed in with a lot of really poor looking moments. Forza Horizon 2 has a lot more continuity in the graphics department despite being open world and manages to look amazing.

statham

Love my VW bug so much, its a S2 I4 turbo and handles decently. I recently got a Lamborghini Aventador and souped it up but not past S2, and my VW is much faster. Its also very fun to drive.

Also only 115 points from Driver level 6, should hit that in the next couple of days.

Guys v quickly. How do you show the intro (from the count of 10 thing) if you have already started the game? I want to show it to a mate?

Also, can you go back and replay races you have finished in a previous location?

Bessy67

Guys v quickly. How do you show the intro (from the count of 10 thing) if you have already started the game? I want to show it to a mate?

Also, can you go back and replay races you have finished in a previous location?
Not sure how to do it in game, but here's a youtube of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1cHm9NjIe0

I don't think you can go back and replay races. You can do rivals, and once you get back around to that location you can do the championship over though.

Anion

I'm not sure you can through in game, Helios can probably clarify that. The good thing is you can get the Xbox to switch to YouTube ;)

Kssio_Aug

I'm starting to have a personal problem with this wheel-spin! The last 7 or more spins just gave me prizes between 2,500 CR till 20,000 CR. ¬¬

sunnz

Finally got it and cant wait to play it but just wanted to say, GOD DAMN the installing crap on the xbone is shit.

Worth it either way.

Top Bottom