• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2: Resolution (1080p), Framerate (30fps), Music, & More Detailed - IGNF

shandy706

Wasn't F5 1080P/60FPS? Is the framerate down because it's moving to an open world racer?

confused_lion_king.gif

what1.gif

Edit** Excuse my gifs...perhaps it is/was presumptuous to expect people to know about Horizon, the differences between it and the Motorsport series, and why it's 30fps just like the first one.

p3tran

Banned
I believe something will be up on IGN later today, but as for the exact content I'm afraid I'm not too sure.

should we be asking tait269 instead? :ppPPppp

if the ign video is friday, that means today no video.
but still, may I ask if the quality of the video on friday will be worth the hype?
I mean, do you know if there will be a link to download at a reasonable quality, or we will be stuck with whatever until whenever (ok, until monday)

:)

Wynnebeck

Banned
That and weather and dynamic lights etc.

Open world, huge map, 'drive anywhere', dynamic weather, dynamic lighting, all things that were not in Forza 5.

Yep, on top of adding weather and dynamic lighting.

The first Forza Horizon was 30 FPS / 720p while Forza 4 was 60 FPS / 720p.

Oh right on. I'm interested in the weather as I remember the first one being kinda static when I played it on my Xbox 360.

That feeling when someone comes in and decides to skip over the original post, because reasons.

Go back to TV Harvey.

Majanew

Banned
1080p and a locked 30fps is great news. If the IQ is as awesome as the first game's, then this game will look amazing. That IQ and 1:1 pixel mapping on my HDTV... ohhhh yeaaaah. Now show me some gameplay, fools!

Damn, I'm working too much. I was sitting here thinking we were getting Gameplay teaser and tomorrow is Saturday. We'll today just took a dump on me lol. Is there at least another interview releasing today?
On the current discussion: until a couple of years ago, I had no idea what game had what framerate/resolution. I honestly miss those days, you got a game to have fun and that was pretty much it. There was as no dick measuring, well not to me anyways. The developer knows what's best, and I'll always believe that

So you played the best racing game of last gen (your words) on an even weaker hardware, also at 30fps - why does it bother you that much more now? Seems weird.

I did. I'm not saying that all 30fps games are bad, I totally get why that game was stuck at 30. It was on aging hardware, I'm amazed they were able to get it run at all with how it looked. But now we're on brand new hardware and we still have the same framerate, obviously with much higher IQ and a higher resolution. I still would have rather they made some sacrifices to hit 60. It honestly could have looked like FH1 again but with 60fps and I would have been happy.

saladine1

I'll take 1080p and locked 30, had no issues with the first one, actually liked it a lot.

Yeah, FH ran flawlessly,

I'm not too fussed with 60fps in 'arcade' racers but for sim racers it's a must..

You know, I had high hopes for FM5 when I saw night in FH. I thought it would be featured for sure. Then...nothing.
Now, I'm seeing weather in FH and again, I'm having those hopes again for FM6.

Who the fuck am I kidding....dry grounds and total sunshine again for FM6.

eso76

I believe something will be up on IGN later today, but as for the exact content I'm afraid I'm not too sure.

woooo

Helios, do you guys at T10 start feeling Playground games breathing down your neck ?

(different games and all, but they are raising expectations for the main series -which might end up not looking like the main series in fact- case in point Saladine's post above)

nib95

Banned
They explained a lot of the delays were due to social features they wanted in there. Regardless of the real reasons for the delays they did mention they were striving for 60fps which is part of the reason why many still harp about it not reaching that goal. We can go on and on about what's better for open road games, closed circuit and so on but in Forza Horizon's defense the first game wasn't 60fps and they never mentioned about striving to reach that benchmark for #2. I think most people assumed it was going to be 30fps because of the past game and because it's not a closed track plus with all the other effects they put in there. The vistas on DriveClub in the background don't matter too much if they cannot be driven no matter how many miles it seems to go. Obviously Turn 10 has to manage resources for Forza (and every other developer) so that's why we haven't seen some things yet like night racing and so forth. When Gran Turismo hits the PS4 it's likely to raise the bar again as they will want 1080p and 60fps.

Of course they matter. Background vistas with full geometry, lighting, foliage, tree's, shadowing etc are still extremely taxing, which is why we've rarely seen vistas or backgrounds as dense in racing games, and certainly no other racing game as outright realistic looking with such environments, not even close. There will still also be certain vistas etc that you actually drive to, so there's that to consider too.

Some people are under this false impression that being open world automatically makes your game more computationally taxing or technically impressive than a linear or non open world game. It doesn't. There are countless other factors that need to be considered such as quality of lighting, shadows, complexity of geometry, density of environments, shaders, textures, reflections, physics, volumetrics, post processing, effects, particles and so on and so on. It's why games like Halo 4 or Last of Us, despite being largely linear, are both still more technically impressive and likely more computationally optimised and still demanding than say Sleeping Dog's or Assassin's Creed 3/BF.

woooo

Helios, do you guys at T10 start feeling Playground games breathing down your neck ?

After the shit show that was Forza 5, Playground have already proven to be a step above T10 when it comes to this, assuming FH2 is half as good as FH1. I just hope that when we get F6 it won't be as much of a trainwreck as 5.

eso76

Of course they matter. Background vistas with full geometry, lighting, foliage, tree's, shadowing etc are still extremely taxing, which is why we've rarely seen vistas or backgrounds as dense in racing games

not being able to drive there though, means devs can use lower detail and fake stuff, since the camera will never get close enough for you to notice.
It also means devs have a tigher control of what's being displayed onscreen at any given time; you can't climb up a hill and watch down on the entire world map etc.

After the shit show that was Forza 5

nope. Forza 5 is great. Just a tad disappointing when it comes to content and game structure. You can tell it's not exactly what T10 had in mind, but FM6 will fix that i'm sure.

RetroStu

Banned
Of course they matter. Background vistas with full geometry, lighting, foliage, tree's, shadowing etc are still extremely taxing, which is why we've rarely seen vistas or backgrounds as dense in racing games, and certainly no other racing game as outright realistic looking with such environments, not even close. There will still also be certain vistas etc that you actually drive to, so there's that to consider too.

Some people are under this false impression that being open world automatically makes your game more computationally taxing or technically impressive than a linear or non open world game. It doesn't. There are countless other factors that need to be considered such as quality of lighting, shadows, complexity of geometry, density of environments, shaders, textures, reflections, physics, volumetrics, post processing, effects, particles and so on and so on. It's why games like Halo 4 or Last of Us, despite being largely linear, are both still more technically impressive and likely more computationally optimised and still demanding than say Sleeping Dog's or Assassin's Creed 3/BF.

You keep saying this nib95 but knowing you, i get the sense you keep saying it just incase FH2 looks as good as Drive Club so you can try and counter the 'it looks as good as Drive Club AND its open world' style posts that will probably come.

The fact is that open world games ARE more demanding than simple unchanging circuits.

If you check my post history over the last month or so, you will see plenty of posts of me saying how amazing Drive Club looks and how it looks better than even Project Cars BUT if FH2 ends up looking as good as Drive Club while also being open world then it will be an amazing achievement.

This all sounds fucking great. The only thing that has me a bit worried is the continued presence of Drivatars. Hooray for getting rammed all the goddamn time, I guess.

Still incredibly hyped, though. Gimme!

Majanew

Banned

Skyrim is so damn taxing, PS3 couldn't run it. :p

And I'd bet money BF3 is more taxing than Halo 4 on 360.

nib95

Banned
not being able to drive there though, means devs can use lower detail and fake stuff, since the camera will never get close enough for you to notice.
It also means devs have a tigher control of what's being displayed onscreen at any given time; you can't climb up a hill and watch down on the entire world map etc.

Whilst obviously true for some of the vistas, some will still be approachable. Add to that, open world games still emplore LOD systems for things like that, so it's not like they're at maximum resource intensity for background stuff either. I'd also be very surprised if Horzion 2 lets you drive on all the background vista elements etc in the game as well. For example, there's no way it's going to let you drive up a distant steep mountain that is littered with countless tree's for example, not just through design itself, but just based on outright physics.

derFeef

I really do like when game developers write about how demanding stuff X and stuff Y is while leaving stuff Z out and whatnot. Some insight knowledge is always cool, especially if it's developers directly working on that game we discuss in the specific thread.

nib95

Banned
And I'd bet money BF3 is more taxing than Halo 4 on 360.

I very much doubt that.

By the way, when we talk about how taxing a game is, I hope you realise that pretty much all games make maximum use of the hardware they're afforded. The variances are in the level of optimisations and degree of technical merit achieved.

I for one think Halo 4 is more technically impressive than the 360 version of BF3.

What made Forza 5 a shit show?

It's original micro plans, it's godawful IQ, and boring campaign. Can't really say too much about campaigns though as most of them are terrible. The IQ and lack of spice is why that game just never clicked with me. Similar to GT5.

You keep saying this nib95 but knowing you, i get the sense you keep saying it just incase FH2 looks as good as Drive Club so you can try and counter the 'it looks as good as Drive Club AND its open world' style posts that will probably come.

The fact is that open world games ARE more demanding than simple unchanging circuits.

If you check my post history over the last month or so, you will see plenty of posts of me saying how amazing Drive Club looks and how it looks better than even Project Cars BUT if FH2 ends up looking as good as Drive Club while also being open world then it will be an amazing achievement.

Extraordinary!

Samurai_Deeper_Kyo_v17_c132_018.png

It's original micro plans, it's godawful IQ, and boring campaign. Can't really say too much about campaigns though as most of them are terrible. The IQ and lack of spice is why that game just never clicked with me. Similar to GT5.

Hmm. I was just playing it last night and I guess I'm just not that picky about image quality. Yeah, it's got limited anti aliasing, but 1080p still makes it look pretty darn clean to me.

The micro plans did suck, but they all got removed, so it's of no concern to me now. I think they learned their lesson this time. I don't think those things will be a problem in FH2 or FM6.

HeliosT10

woooo

(different games and all, but they are raising expectations for the main series -which might end up not looking like the main series in fact- case in point Saladine's post above)

I like to think that we're both pleased and happy to be pushing each other on to bigger and better things, that's just my personal opinion though. It's great working with them and as most of you have rightly realised they're an immensely talented studio.

nib95

Banned

I said it because it is a matter of fact. I can already see some championing this open world point for example, to excuse a frame rate which not long before they claimed was unacceptable or the like for racers, and now I can see people championing it for tech speak, without much compression beyond using it as a tick box feature.

On a side note, I'd be very surprised if FH2 looks as good as DriveClub. Already in the screenshots I can see a difference in lighting quality and in other things like tree and foliage geometry for example. I have no doubt FH2 is going to look bonkers good, but whilst it likely uses a highly adapted version of the F5 engine, you can still see some of the similarities, especially for example, in the Mitsubishi Evolution shot. I've no doubt some will think it looks better though, just as some jumped to the conclusion Quantum Break looks better than anything they've seen before based on that little footage, even though to me Ryse still currently looks markedly better. But opinions and all that.

RetroStu

Banned
I said it because it is a matter of fact. I can already see some championing this open world point for example, to excuse a frame rate which not long before they claimed was unacceptable or the like for racers, and now I can see people championing it for tech speak, without much compression beyond using it as a tick box feature.

On a side note, I'd be very surprised if FH2 looks as good as DriveClub. Already in the screenshots I can see a difference in lighting quality and in other things like tree and foliage geometry for example. I have no doubt FH2 is going to look bonkers good, but whilst it likely uses a highly adapted version of the F5 engine, you can still see some of the similarities, especially for example, in the Mitsubishi Evolution shot.

Do you honestly not know why open world games are more demanding than a closed unchanging circuit?. I mean you don't need to be a developer to realise why, its common sense.

nib95

Banned
Do you honestly not know why open world games are more demanding than a closed unchanging circuit?. I mean you don't need to be a developer to realise why, its common sense.

Generally they are, but it depends very much on the game it is being compared to. Ask anyone what the most technically impressive game on the Xbox One is today, and they most probably won't say AC: Black Flags (despite it being open world), they'll likely say Ryse (despite it being linear), and with good reason.

On a side note, I'd be very surprised if FH2 looks as good as DriveClub. Already in the screenshots I can see a difference in lighting quality and in other things like tree and foliage geometry for example. I have no doubt FH2 is going to look bonkers good, but whilst it likely uses a highly adapted version of the F5 engine, you can still see some of the similarities, especially for example, in the Mitsubishi Evolution shot. I've no doubt some will think it looks better though, just as some jumped to the conclusion Quantum Break looks better than anything they've seen before based on that little footage, even though to me Ryse still currently looks markedly better. But opinions and all that.

If you're gonna make a claim like that you'd better back it up with quotes here. Point out specific people's hypocrisy. You know blanket statements don't go over well on this forum.

derFeef

Hopefully we get some new stuff soon because this is getting tiresome and I don't see any reason to discuss general graphic things in this thread.

nib95

Banned
If you're gonna make a claim like that you'd better back it up with quotes here. Name names. You know blanket statements don't go over well on this forum.

I already did a few pages back. Not outright hypocrisy (except in one example lol), but a noticeable change in tone.

RetroStu

Banned
Generally they are, but it depends very much on the game it is being compared to. Ask anyone what the most technically impressive game on the Xbox One is today, and they most probably won't say AC: Black Flags (despite it being open world), they'll likely say Ryse (despite it being linear), and with good reason.

Er thats kind of proving the point, Ryse is the much better looking game BECAUSE its linear. You couldn't have an open world game with Ryse graphics (well not yet anyway) because open world games are just too demanding.

Dead Rising 3 is a good example, one minute you are looking around a small room then the next minute you jump through a window onto a city street surrounded by 500 zombies.
There are just too many variables involved with open world games to have them at 60fps, well on consoles anyway. They would have to strip back the graphics considerably.

nib95

Banned
Er thats kind of proving the point, Ryse is the much better looking game BECAUSE its linear. You couldn't have an open world game with Ryse graphics (well not yet anyway) because open world games are just too demanding.

Dead Rising 3 is a good example, one minute you are looking around a small room then the next minute you jump through a window onto a city street surrounded by 500 zombies.
There are just too many variables involved with open world games to have them at 60fps, well on consoles anyway. They would have to strip back the graphics considerably.

Forget which game is better looking (which is also another important point), which game out of Black Flags and Ryse to you is more technically impressive?

Anyway, I fear we're veering OT. I suppose that's what happens when you're waiting days for new media in the same thread, but hopefully we get some more stuff today or tomorrow.

If there is snow then it probably is only one section of the map and would feel a bit odd imo. Unless the map is huge.

Why do you keep trashing my hopes and dreams? I thought we were buds?

Seriously though, if there's mountains and we can drive up them, makes sense for there to be some snow and there's also potential for blizzards that bring snow to the map...

eso76

Generally they are, but it depends very much on the game it is being compared to. Ask anyone what the most technically impressive game on the Xbox One is today, and they won't say AC: Black Flags (despite it being open world), they'll likely say Ryse (despite it being linear), and with good reason.

well, that's because anyone can see the impressive graphics Ryse can put up but not everyone can understand what a game does under the hood.
Most people won't go deeper than what is immediately visible

Some of you need to do like I do and put nib95 on your ignore list.

This thread (and many others) would have been a whole lot better and more importantly I wouldn't have to keep seeing his comments as they get quoted over and over.

nib95

Banned
nib, do yourself a favor and buy an xbone.

ign, press the freakin' button! or flip the switch or whatever!

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger this year. But I'm supposed to be buying a new car and paying for two holidays, so I doubt the wife will be too pleased if I do lol. Maybe on the next price drop to soften the blow.

eso76

Some of you need to do like I do and put nib95 on your ignore list.

This thread (and many others) would have been a whole lot better and more importantly I wouldn't have to keep seeing his comments as they get quoted over and over.

nah, he's alright, i see nothing wrong with his posts personally.

RetroStu

Banned
Forget which game is better looking (which is also another important point), which game out of Black Flags and Ryse to you is more technically impressive?

Anyway, I fear we're veering OT. I suppose that's what happens when you're waiting days for new media in the same thread, but hopefully we get some more stuff today or tomorrow.

Ryse but thats more to do with the fact that AC4 is a cross gen game and pretty much a higher res last gen game. You would have to compare Ryse to the new AC for a fairer comparison.

Ryse looks much better graphically than Watch Dogs (imo) but i'd say Watch Dogs is the better game technically even though that still is a cross gen game (although cross gen in all but name really).

Top Bottom