• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon |OT| A Whole New Playground

saladine1

Really torn on this. As someoone who was never a big forza follower or even a huge racing fan i realllyyy enjoyed the demo and contemplating picking it up.

I am someone who has no interest in tuning e.t.c, i just loved the feel of the cars and the races compared to some of the more arcadey games. My last brought racer was need for speed hot pursuit which i thought was awesome but i think i just like the atmosphere more in this version.

If i have no interest in car clubs/tuning/paints/tuning can i still get by with the basics. Is there an auto tune setup so i dont have todo all that myself ?

Anyone else playing this who isnt a huge racing fanatic ?

There isn't any tuning in this game, only upgrades/customization. You can auto-upgrade if doing it manually isn't your thing.

Street's been broken in Australia? Fuuuuuuck.

Broken by one day isn't too bad. I got FM4 from the same place 3 days early. "Greg" is my man down there and he's a good bloke. This time though he fucked me over with a missing disc. "Greg", if you are reading this, that wasn't funny you prick..
He's dropping by soon to fix me up though..

GlamFM

Banned
A couple of questions:

- Are there replays in multiplayer?
- If there are - can I save those?
- If I can - can I go into photo mode from there?

Thank you.

Shaneus

Broken by one day isn't too bad. I got FM4 from the same place 3 days early. "Greg" is my man down there and he's a good bloke. This time though he fucked me over with a missing disc. "Greg", if you are reading this, that wasn't funny you prick..
He's dropping by soon to fix me up though..
Wait, tomorrow's the official day? I honestly had no idea!

Really need to get that bearing the MS FF wheel looked at (and find a place to mount said wheel!).

Choc

Banned
Really torn on this. As someoone who was never a big forza follower or even a huge racing fan i realllyyy enjoyed the demo and contemplating picking it up.

I am someone who has no interest in tuning e.t.c, i just loved the feel of the cars and the races compared to some of the more arcadey games. My last brought racer was need for speed hot pursuit which i thought was awesome but i think i just like the atmosphere more in this version.

If i have no interest in car clubs/tuning/paints/tuning can i still get by with the basics. Is there an auto tune setup so i dont have todo all that myself ?

Anyone else playing this who isnt a huge racing fanatic ?

i finished the game and didn't tune a car once, the game guides you to do it 'your car needs upgrading, want me to handle it?' and it just does it

:)

edit: Tommorow is not the day, its Tuesday. and harveys will now probably get Halo 4 late. It's most definitely the game MS would have been threatening would arrive late because of breaks. They did the same thing with gears of war. Kmart broke Fable II, got GOW2 late because of it.

Xun

I'm going out to the cinema soon, but I have such a strong urge to play the demo again...

I want this game.

p3tran

Banned
mY47j.jpg
Modus showed this pic, and now I have to boot F4

..lets see how many more days left until I find a horizon copy in Greece

paischtu

Neo Member
Every single time I take a look at this thread I get more hyped. 5 more days #believe

Might be a stupid question but in free roam is it one big map with no load times? Ala TDU?

saladine1

So, been playing for a couple of hours now.

Damn, it's so good to be out on the open road with Forza. The world is alive. Nice little touches such as falling leaves, flocks of birds, geysers?..

Are there any real geysers in Colardo?

Anyway, love the pre race sequences such as cameramen, girls, confetti,lights,crowds..etc. It's such a welcome change from the sterile offerings of FM.

It's also easy to make money which isn't a bad thing.

Now, I don't know if I'm imagining things but it seems like turbo lag has been simulated even better than FM4. The Ford RS200, after big upgrades, has monumental turbo lag!
Hit the gas, nothing, nothing,nothing..then vtec kicked in yo!
Fucking love it!

Sound...sound..it's FM. Even though upgrading the car does produce DSP and louder exhaust, turbo spool..etc, the volume is still a little too low i'm afraid. Sometimes it's hard to hear your car when racing because of opponent vehicles being louder than yours.
It seems like the overall volume is on the low side compared to FM4..

Man, the graphics are fucking gorgeous!
I don't know what tweaks PG have included but it looks amazing. The cars in the Autoshow look like they have been given a once over with Meguiar's Carnauba Wax or something. The paint looks so deep and rich.
I've also noticed the wheels look hi res. I swear, most of the wheels look so different from FM4 it's not funny. It seems that chrome is real chrome in this game. The best looking wheels are the Welds, it really shows this off quite well..

Haven't gone too far(intentionally so) but so far i'm absolutely loving it!

*goes back to game*

Blimblim

The Inside Track
When i was playing on that track i thought i was playing PGR4, i think a track looks very similar to that one.
There is a lot of PGR in the roots of this game.

This probably started out as PGR but they slapped the forza name on it.

Well it's still a very different game from PGR 1->4 either way.

derFeef

When i was playing on that track i thought i was playing PGR4, i think a track looks very similar to that one.
There is a lot of PGR in the roots of this game.

This probably started out as PGR but they slapped the forza name on it.

I don't think so, the rumors of an open-world Forza appeared like 3 years ago.

Last Hope

I just watched the quick look from Jeff G and he mentioned Bizzare had some developers on the team. Knowing what I think about Bizzare (couldn't make a game at 60fps to save their lives) I searched for the frame rate.

Yep, 30fps it is. Yep, Bizzare had a hand in it. Hope Criterion NEVER hires anyone from Bizzare.

The game looks like something I would like but no way am I paying full price for a 30fps racer. This is 2012 guys. Maybe get it when it drops to $30.

I just watched the quick look from Jeff G and he mentioned Bizzare had some developers on the team. Knowing what I think about Bizzare (couldn't make a game at 60fps to save their lives) I searched for the frame rate.

Yep, 30fps it is. Yep, Bizzare had a hand in it. Hope Criterion NEVER hires anyone from Bizzare.

The game looks like something I would like but no way am I paying full price for a 30fps racer. This is 2012 guys. Maybe get it when it drops to $30.

I got some bad news for you.

saladine1

What a shitty post mate. As mentioned, MW is 30fps on consoles.
Besides, this game runs extremely well for 30fps. You'll be surprised..

p3tran

Banned

not only criterion's next game is 30fps (we'll see how rock-steady), but damage model on it is significantly reduced too, even if so arcade and about crashes and all.

p.s. and about pgr, I think I will have to drop a pgr disk in the old 360, but iirc horizon handles better

Uhhh...NFS Hot Pursuit isn't 60 fps on consoles and was developed by Criterion

Pepto

Banned

I think the guys from Bizarre are just environment artists.

haha.

Sorry but the way I look at it, any ambitious designer will make their game run at 60fps.

30fps represents a lack of ambition when it comes to driving games.

Just my thoughts. I understand if many disagree.

It's not lack of ambition, there hardware isn't up to the job. Forza may be 60fps, but there's a lot more going on in this game.

sneaky77

haha.

Sorry but the way I look at it, any ambitious designer will make their game run at 60fps.

30fps represents a lack of ambition when it comes to driving games.

Just my thoughts. I understand if many disagree.

cool.. glad we have that something has been known for months settled.. carry on then.

So, been playing for a couple of hours now.

Damn, it's so good to be out on the open road with Forza. The world is alive. Nice little touches such as falling leaves, flocks of birds, geysers?..

Are there any real geysers in Colardo?

Anyway, love the pre race sequences such as cameramen, girls, confetti,lights,crowds..etc. It's such a welcome change from the sterile offerings of FM.

It's also easy to make money which isn't a bad thing.

Now, I don't know if I'm imagining things but it seems like turbo lag has been simulated even better than FM4. The Ford RS200, after big upgrades, has monumental turbo lag!
Hit the gas, nothing, nothing,nothing..then vtec kicked in yo!
Fucking love it!

Sound...sound..it's FM. Even though upgrading the car does produce DSP and louder exhaust, turbo spool..etc, the volume is still a little too low i'm afraid. Sometimes it's hard to hear your car when racing because of opponent vehicles being louder than yours.
It seems like the overall volume is on the low side compared to FM4..

Man, the graphics are fucking gorgeous!
I don't know what tweaks PG have included but it looks amazing. The cars in the Autoshow look like they have been given a once over with Meguiar's Carnauba Wax or something. The paint looks so deep and rich.
I've also noticed the wheels look hi res. I swear, most of the wheels look so different from FM4 it's not funny. It seems that chrome is real chrome in this game. The best looking wheels are the Welds, it really shows this off quite well..

Haven't gone too far(intentionally so) but so far i'm absolutely loving it!

*goes back to game*

Thanks for that, I'm avoiding spoiler vids so know very little outside what the demo offered. Have you driven a stock F40 in the game? F4's was a bit of a letdown without the turbo lag.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Codec:AVC1
Length:3 minutes 10 seconds
Format:1280 x 720
FPS: 60 fps
Size: 180.88 MB

https://images.encyclopediadramatica.se/3/33/Futurama_Fry_Looking_Squint.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

All our videos are encoded at 60 fps, since it's the framerate the console outputs to the tv screen.
In a game like FH encoding at 30 instead of 60 indeed makes no difference, since it's as close to a perfect 30 fps as possible.
But in a game like for example Assassin's Creed (not talking about AC3, I still have to play it) where the framerate often falls below 30 fps, or especially when there is screen tearing, encoding at 60 fps can make a big difference. In many games a tear can be seen in only on frame, so only 1/60 of a second. If I encode at 30 fps, this tear will either be visible 1/30 of a second, or not at all. One way or another, it's not a good representation of what you'll get while playing.
So yeah, 60 fps video, 30 fps game :)

Btw, has it been ever confirmed that this game actually uses the Forza 3/4 engine for graphics and physics? This game looks and plays very differently from the mainline Forza games, so I'm really wondering if this has ever been confirmed by someone at Playground.

saladine1

Thanks for that, I'm avoiding spoiler vids so know very little outside what the demo offered. Have you driven a stock F40 in the game? F4's was a bit of a letdown without the turbo lag.

Not yet.

To be honest,for the past 40 mins, all I've been doing is playing around with the RS200's turbo lag!
I know, I sound like some crazy nut, but it's just so fucking satisfying.

I'm running a monster cam and monster turbo. There's really nothing there from 0 to 5000rpms but when it hits 5500rpms, the thing eats the fucking ground all the way up 10,000rpm's!

hwy_61

Banned
Alright guys, I need some crucial advice here. I have enough for two new releases, but at $60. So, I'm thinking of FH & NFS, or should I get FH LCE and wait for NFS price drop around black Friday? I feel like those games are different enough that I won't feel burned out(no pun intended). Help me GAF, you're my only hope.

ironcreed

Banned
Played the demo last night and the game is gorgeous. Just a beautiful environment to cruise around in. I'll probably pick it up at some point for that reason alone.

Last Hope

Have you played the demo?

No, last time I looked it was gold only. I stopped paying for gold because I never play online and all my blu ray players play Netflix just fine.

I don't doubt that the game can be bearable at 30fps (PGR2 was decent) but I'd just prefer 60fps over graphic fidelity.

M.W.

No, last time I looked it was gold only. I stopped paying for gold because I never play online and all my blu ray players play Netflix just fine.

I don't doubt that the game can be bearable at 30fps (PGR2 was decent) but I'd just prefer 60fps over graphic fidelity.

It's not Gold only.

KePoW

Banned
It's clear that Last Hope doesn't even want to bother looking or trying. He has a closed mental block about 60fps, even though Horizon runs & looks great.

Didn't think I'd get past the 30fps before playing but now I don't give a shit about it.

Given the choice I wouldn't swap the IQ, draw distance or scenery for a stable 60fps.

mikel

Neo Member
I've been following this thread for some time now and I'm so hyped for this game! I wasn't sure at first, but after watching some gameplay videos and trying out the demo I preordered FH :) BTW funny thing is that in Poland they give you all 5 preorder cars for each copy.

I was actually waiting for some goodracing game that will have decent amount of realism on one side and less "pro" approach on the other. Don't get me wrong I love Forza 4, got a preordered limited edition of FM4, but the game lacks character to me. It is just so sterile, even the "campaign" mode is pretty much dull and uninteresting for me.

Maybe it was just me, but I had the impression that lately we have either die-hard sim games or total 100% pure arcade racers on market, with nothing in the middle. Is it like developers are aftraid that there is no market for such games.

Didn't think I'd get past the 30fps before playing but now I don't give a shit about it.

Given the choice I wouldn't swap the IQ, draw distance or scenery for a stable 60fps.

I never thought I'd agree with such a statement after preferring 60fps for years, but FH has nailed the rock steady 30fps and as previously mentioned earlier in the thread, I'd take day/night cycles, weather, image quality etc for Forza 5 at a rock steady 30fps over none of that at 60fps. That's something that I thought I'd never say but FH has made me confident in 30fps.

Xun

I've never hated a stable 30fps, and FH definitely shows it can work for a racing game.

You certainly get a lot of added enhancements with it.

Top Bottom