• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon |OT| A Whole New Playground

DD

Horizon looks better than PGR4, lighting is better and Horizon is an open road game with gay/night cycle.

ibqLiRhSxHXHyn.gif

TJP

That GIF highlights just how far ahead PGR4 was! Mindblowing given it's 4 years old. Bizarre Creations were the true 'code masters'.

Its a shame.

Look at the advancements from halo 3 to halo 4.

In the same amount of time there still has yet to be a racing game that has better environments than pgr 4. NY was a thing of beauty in that game.

Quixz

I have yet to play a game with better weather effects than PGR4!

Pay day this week, Horizon will be mine!!

PGR4 is still the best racing game of the generation. On this matter I will take no argument.

As for Horizon, is anyone here planning on picking it up at midnight tomorrow? I'll be out until late at night, so I'll probably end up swinging by my local GS and put an hour or two into the game before turning in.

Shaneus

I disagree. FH looks better and with very little aliasing but I'd expect that to given PGR 4 released in 2007. Blur provides a hint of what PGR 5 could have been graphically (NOT gameplay).

Sadly we can only dream what might have occured if MS had bought Bizarre Creations instead of Lackofvision.
Bizarre didn't go for the piss filter though, so that makes up for any (however slight) technical differences between the two. I miss games that used to be vibrant and have "pop" without being drenched in sepia. Dat classic UK vibe has pretty much disappeared completely with the disappearance of Bizarre, Psygnosis/SL and SRS.

Their environments still take a massive dump over pretty much everything seen today. Only possible exception so far is perhaps a modded version of GTA4 on PC. But that's running on a far more powerful beast of a machine than the humble 360.

I have yet to play a game with better weather effects than PGR4!
Project CARS is looking REALLY fucking close. Check out the high-res screenshot thread :)

It always looked good, but gifs always make things look better then they actually are.
It really does still look that good.* Fired it up the other night to test the MS FF wheel (which PGR4 is awesome with, BTW) and about the only blight on it graphically is that snow on the cars is a fairly low-res, flat texture and it has lower-poly car models than today's titles. Rain droplets on the windscreen, puddles to aquaplane through, the absolute best implementation of 30fps motion blur I've ever seen... it'll be a long time before we see a title push a console as much as PGR4 pushed the 360 five years ago IMO.

*Honestly, looking at both Horizon and this back-to-back... I think I prefer PGR4 still, regardless of the weather.

Anyway, not long now. My LE copy was sent mid last week, so it shouldn't be too far off. Hopefully they leave it in the meterbox rather than require me to pick it up from the post office (which'll delay it an extra day :/).

PS. I love how every so often there's an unintentional, brief love-in for Bizarre/PGR4 in 360-related racing game threads. I'm usually involved in it's inception, though :/

benzy

It always looked good, but gifs always make things look better then they actually are.

I have that video in 720p. It pretty much looks like the gif.

FH is a nice looking game, but it doesn't look better than PGR4. Lighting and shaders are pretty cartoon-ish in comparison, not to mention the weird piss filter. Both of those gifs don't really match the realism and environmental detail of PGR4s, not to mention one of your gifs is from an off-cam vid...

I have that video in 720p. It pretty much looks like the gif.

FH is a nice looking game, but it doesn't look better than PGR4. Lighting and shaders are pretty cartoon-ish in comparison, not to mention the weird piss filter. Both of those gifs don't really match the realism and environmental detail of PGR4s, not to mention one of your gifs is from an off-cam vid...

Did you forget all horizon is moving

TJP

Project CARS is looking REALLY fucking close. Check out the high-res screenshot thread :)
I don't need to, I just load pCARS and take in the beauty. I'm in at a senior level on the pCARS project ;)

I shouldn't be conversing with you anyway as you've still not coughed up the paltry sum of $20 to buy Game Stock Car 2012. I know you haven't because I see no posts by you about experiencing the best out-of-the-box FFB and sublime physics ever either here on NeoGAF or Fastest Sector.

Shaneus

I don't need to, I just load pCARS and take in the beauty. I'm in at a senior level on the pCARS project ;)

I shouldn't be conversing with you anyway as you've still not coughed up the paltry sum of $20 to buy Game Stock Car 2012. I know you haven't because I see no posts by you about experiencing the best out-of-the-box FFB and sublime physics ever either here on NeoGAF or Fastest Sector.
I need to set up my G27 again. My lounge room's a mess and there's no room for it :/

derFeef

Holy shit :eek:
That GIF looks a little too good, the game looks great but not FH in full motion.

Cockpit and rain in PGR4 was the shit, it looked so good. Those rain droplets are so good, also on the metal of the cars, just sexy.

@modus, can we get a Didact Halo 4 livery? :D

So I saw the Giant Bomb quick look and am intrigued by the similarities to the Tokyo Xtreme Racer games. One of the guys in the quick look even mentioned the series when he pointed out that you can challenge random AI drivers to a one on one race. Except he didn't actually do that. So how close is the comparison between Horizon and TXR? When you challenge someone one on one, do you just immediately start racing, or do you both get teleported to some start line somewhere?

Man I wish Genki had the money and talent to make something with the scope of this game, but set in Tokyo/Osaka/Nagoya and based on the JDM market. ...I just want to drive my Mark II in high def :(

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
So I saw the Giant Bomb quick look and am intrigued by the similarities to the Tokyo Xtreme Racer games. One of the guys in the quick look even mentioned the series when he pointed out that you can challenge random AI drivers to a one on one race. Except he didn't actually do that. So how close is the comparison between Horizon and TXR? When you challenge someone one on one, do you just immediately start racing, or do you both get teleported to some start line somewhere?

Man I wish Genki had the money and talent to make something with the scope of this game, but set in Tokyo/Osaka/Nagoya and based on the JDM market. ...I just want to drive my Mark II in high def :(

When you challenge someone (get behind them, hit X), it does a brief zoom in on the AI car to set the scene then just goes straight to the race.

SOON.

Me and the buddies beat Borderlands 2 today, which is a good thing, as they all (justifiably) expect me to disappear come Tuesday ;P

bedlamite

Hype approaching unbearable levels, the awesome pics in this thread aren't helping either

One more day, then I'ma buy the FUCK out of this game

Sanjuro

I don't know if it was posted, normally free, etc. etc. There is a car download that is currently free.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/P...-Bel-Air/7a5ae23b-5c26-4d9d-89d0-8daea474c6f8

This download contains 1 free sample car from the October Car Pack: 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air. In-game credits or Tokens are required to add these cars to your career garage. The complete October Car Pack contains 6 cars: 2012 Ferrari 599XX Evoluzione; 2012 Gumpert Apollo Enraged; 2012 Lamborghini Aventador J; 2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302; 2010 Alfa Romeo 8C Spider; 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air.

When you challenge someone (get behind them, hit X), it does a brief zoom in on the AI car to set the scene then just goes straight to the race.

So is it actually TXR style, with lifebars that go down when you're behind? Or does it randomly choose a finish line for your race, and whoever gets there first wins?

No life bars, LOL. It's a randomly generated point to point race, first to finish wins the credits.

Didn't think so but I figured I would ask on the off chance that it was. Don't knock it till you've tried it though, man. Makes for some very high tension races.

Horizon still sounds like a lot of fun, I'm definitely interested. I hope that US copies will work on a Japanese Xbox. I had to return my copy of FM4 because of that.

Top Bottom