• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

Slayer-33 said:
I'm not turning off rewind, though that 20% is tempting as hell lol!
35i0eqh.jpg

Izayoi

Banned
Slayer-33 said:
The modifiers for extra credits when disabling assists is higher now and you have more stuff to turn off so the bonus CR is like 165% + or some shit after a race if you disable everything/enable sim/damage/wear/rewind off

160% if you leave clutch off (not with manual trans)
Unfortunately I'm not a god and I have a hard time actually placing first with difficulty that high. My additional credit modifier will be far lower.

Shaneus

Rewind is 20%? Awesome. Will disable that then! It's screwed with me too often. The amount of times I've played PGR4 since FM3 came out and I'd instinctively hit the "back" button is ridiculous. Still do it :(

PS. On the steering assist note, is it possible that it could be included because of the new Speed Wheel? I'm not sure how much rotation the 360 recognises from it, but if it's up to 900, that could be the reason why... wouldn't be at all easy to countersteer out of a slide with that wheel if it has that much rotation.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
brotkasten said:
That Top Gear video is probably one of the best video game related videos I've ever seen, if not the best and I'm serious.

i must be the only one that didnt like it

Shaneus said:
Rewind is 20%? Awesome. Will disable that then! It's screwed with me too often. The amount of times I've played PGR4 since FM3 came out and I'd instinctively hit the "back" button is ridiculous. Still do it :(

PS. On the steering assist note, is it possible that it could be included because of the new Speed Wheel? I'm not sure how much rotation the 360 recognises from it, but if it's up to 900, that could be the reason why... wouldn't be at all easy to countersteer out of a slide with that wheel if it has that much rotation.
I would pay good money to see someone try, LOL

When I use it I dont do more than 90.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
mentalfloss said:
Kinda disappointed that this game looks markedly better than the last one, lol

"Clearly defined and evident; noticeable"

"markedly - in a clearly noticeable manner"

I'm not sure what game you are seeing but FM 4 looks A LOT better than 3, now.

Granted if you played it on your PC monitor only it can seem like a marginally better difference but FM 4 looks leaps and bounds better on an HDTV vs 3 as weird as it may sound to some of you guys. I play on a 46" Bravia and a 23.6 inch LED LCD.

The difference between FM 3 to 4 on an HDTV is astronomical. On an LCD monitor there's a noticeable difference but not as big as the HDTV difference.

Everything looks at lot better and more detailed, the road textures and track crispness pop out and photomode is much better on an HDTV + the cars look a lot better imo.

I guess it's because of having the shit so close to your face on a monitor and it being designed for processes that use higher forms of AA.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
brotkasten said:
That Top Gear video is probably one of the best video game related videos I've ever seen, if not the best and I'm serious.

Love it! The music, JC's voice, the Aston, all great.

What do people think of the Xbox360 Wireless Speed Wheel? I'm not sure if I'd want to use it to play Forza 4. I might use it for Burnout or Hot Pursuit, but it just doesn't seem like a good wheel for a sim racer. The price tag seems pretty fair.

I'm loving the Forza 4 demo! I've played it all afternoon and now into the evening. Rivals mode is addictive! I wish more of my friends played the demo. I'm eager to beat some times or at least try. The sense of speed can get scary at times, especially in the Zonda. I could never get into FM2 and FM3 because they both felt so slow. Problem solved! FM4 now preordered.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
VindictiveGnome said:
What do people think of the Xbox360 Wireless Speed Wheel? I'm not sure if I'd want to use it to play Forza 4. I might use it for Burnout or Hot Pursuit, but it just doesn't seem like a good wheel for a sim racer. The price tag seems pretty fair.

I'm loving the Forza 4 demo! I've played it all afternoon and now into the evening. Rivals mode is addictive! I wish more of my friends played the demo. I'm eager to beat some times or at least try. The sense of speed can get scary at times, especially in the Zonda. I could never get into FM2 and FM3 because they both felt so slow. Problem solved! FM4 now preordered.

there have been quite a few really positive impressions in this thread. sounds like a perfect fit for those that dont have the cash or space for a wheel

Shaneus said:

Ha, yeah it's only 180°. You'd have to throw the thing like a pizza dough if it went to 900°! I originally thought it was being recognized as the regular wheel, but that's not the case. It's got it's own button layout in the FM4 demo, so it's being treated uniquely.

soundscream said:
Xbox360 doesn't have many exclusives but MS can advertise the shit out of something when they put their minds to it.

Ya I am not even a Halo fan either. Just watched the Top Gear ad for Forza that was amazing

VindictiveGnome said:

I have used my fanatec, WSW, and a controller on the demo. I have used the speed wheel the most, because I dont always feel like using my main wheel when I get home from work. You wouldn't think it would work as well as it does. I also used it on Sega Rally Arcade and would admit it feels even better with an arcade type race game.

Am I the only poor soul using the old Wireless MS Wheel?

Pics above are freaking awesome. Put one of those GAF logoed cars in the official thread when it goes up.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
m0dus do you paint your shit on that canvas thing or you work directly on the car section by section as you go?

Mizzou Gaming said:

I'm using that with the game now lol.

soundscream said:
I have used my fanatec, WSW, and a controller on the demo. I have used the speed wheel the most, because I dont always feel like using my main wheel when I get home from work. You wouldn't think it would work as well as it does. I also used it on Sega Rally Arcade and would admit it feels even better with an arcade type race game.
That's surprising. I guess I just compare it to racing with the wiimote in Mario Kart. It seems inaccurate and inferior to everything else. Glad to hear it's not though! I'm going to have to check out the speed wheel, especially when its at $60. I bet it's really fun to use in DiRT 3 events.

See

Man, why does the Inception theme music always works with everything?! Its nearly a perfect sync with endangered species!
http://tubedubber.com/#PvimE0aNFOg:lOJqicM6x84:0:100:8:0:1

Anyway, I don't post here often, I don't have the bandwidth to play the demo but from what I have seen, Turn 10 has done an amazing job, I can't believe how far forza has come from forza 2 this gen. Simply unbelievable! Well done Turn 10 : )

I can't wait to see the amazing photos and liveries from you guys!

VindictiveGnome said:
That's surprising. I guess I just compare it to racing with the wiimote in Mario Kart. It seems inaccurate and inferior to everything else. Glad to hear it's not though! I'm going to have to check out the speed wheel, especially when its at $60. I bet it's really fun to use in DiRT 3 events.
Underneath that Wii wheel looking shape is a nice piece of gyroscopic tech that is as accurate as a controller. It's no kiddie toy. It's no Fanatec either, but it's better racing game controller than the regular controller.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TeamVVV#p/u/52/z7VKJ6v4zIk

skyfinch

Mizzou Gaming said:

Pics above are freaking awesome. Put one of those GAF logoed cars in the official thread when it goes up.

I have one and tried it out last night. The game is fun as hell with a wheel but I suck with it. Can't post any good times. I've always found racing games to be easier with the controller for some reason.

VindictiveGnome said:

Wait, how does that wireless wheel work? I was under the impression it was just a fancy sort of way to control via Kinect. Now I'm just confused.

skyfinch

flyinpiranha said:
Damn, sucks to be us =(

Yeah, I see some people on my friends list with the game and rockn' some achievements. We have to play catch up next week.

Don't know what the limit to the car club is, and hope it's not full by the time we get the game.

Mizzou Gaming said:
Wait, how does that wireless wheel work? I was under the impression it was just a fancy sort of way to control via Kinect. Now I'm just confused.
That's a common misconception. It's got nothing to do with Kinect whatsoever. Check out the link I edited into my last post for a better idea of what it is.

guest1321

VindictiveGnome said:

THE SPEED WHEEL IS AWESOME. I've put in about 4 hours into FM3 with the speed wheel and it took a little while to get used to it. Strangely I found myself breaking really late and smashing into shit. I attribute this to it being a wheel type control and when I'm actually driving I expect certain feedback which I obviously was not getting with the Speed Wheel. Like I said, Strange.

After getting used to it (realistically and hour) I could not put it down. It makes driving so much more interactive (perhaps just wheels in general) and you feel like you have a lot more control over the steering. On top of the increased steering precision over a controller, the triggers are also larger and have a longer throw allowing for more precision in accelerating/decelerating.

I don't have a wheel set-up my self but I know someone who has a play seat set up and I know what that feels like. I think the driving factor in my enjoyment of the wheel was the fact that it felt natural and didn't feel like I was sitting awkwardly to accommodate a wheel. If you have room and the funds for a play seat type setup then consider that (I would've but I don't really have room or money atm). The speed wheel not only cuts down on cost but it also cuts down on room and necessary accessories to make wheels feel natural/comfortable.

I think the best part of the Speed Wheel is that you can relax on your couch, sit as your normally would and have a more "realistic" driving experience than the traditional analog stick. As many people have said previously in the thread, the Speed Wheel should be compared to a controller and not a wheel set-up. So understand that you are not buying a funny shaped true wheel configuration.

The wheel was smaller than I had initially thought but it feels great. The center circle (xbox center button area) it heavily weighted so all the weight is really central in that sense. This helps with the steering because you have a point to pivot around. In addition to that the batteries are inserted at the base of the controller (bottom of the U) and run along the base of it |_| . The placement of the batteries helps you find your center. I was a little concerned that the weight was going to become tiresome after prolonged racing ventures. NOT THE CASE. It is still fairly light; and only a little heavier than a controller.

Finally in Forza 4(demo): It is a huge improvement in its feeling. With simulation steering on it is much much more natural feeling. Everything that I was impressed with that was specific to Forza 3, was amplified in Forza4. Really good.

All in all, I would recommend one if you find yourself going for the controller frequently. and don't worry, it doesn't drive like a WiiWheel.

Mizzou Gaming said:
It uses a motion sensor in it. As I sorted hinted at above: It is a much more accurate sensor I think. Having used a WiiWheel/Mote I found it felt sloppy and inaccurate. Speed Wheel = Very tidy!!!

Mizzou Gaming said:
I think it works similar to the wiimote. Just more accurate I guess. Seems pretty cool. It does look like something that would work with Kinect.

VindictiveGnome said:
I think it works similar to the wiimote. Just more accurate I guess. Seems pretty cool. It does look like something that would work with Kinect.

yeah, the wheel has an accelerometer/gyroscope in it, just like an iPhone. that is how it knows very accurately what angle/direction you are holding it at. Pretty clever imo.

Shaneus

soundscream said:
God damn I want to try this on Outrun Arcade.

Shit, it might even be awesome with Afterburner Climax! I wonder if it has tilt... if so, flight sims just got a whole lot more interesting.

eek5

soundscream said:
I hope one day we will be able to invert our designs so we can have them facing the same direction on both sides of the car :(

I think copying from left/right has been in since F2

Top Bottom