• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

Iknos

If you play this game without taking your car to it's limits and purposefully drive slow through the track the physics are great. Everything about it seems right. The moment you take your tires to their limits the assists start kicking in and take it into arcade game territory.

The physics stay the same splendid selves it is the steering control that ruins everything by making things unrealistic. There is no reason why there's boosters on your steering when your car slides. It doesn't even assist you in any way it just adds to the fish tailing. It's like they added that to make things seem realistic because maybe they found that their engine couldn't emulate real fish tailing ? ? ?

Just trying to thInk why T10 did this. Any ideas?

Fanatec is releasing a 900 degree wheel with their branding on it so it doesnt make sense to make the game so it ruins the experience on them.

At the same time it was misleading the whole time to hint at the game finally getting true steering when they knew all along it wasn't. Dans cryptic remarks make a whole lot of sense now.

It all begs the question why didn't they do it?

Excuse my frustration. I see an excellent game with great graphics and great physics. There are some very interesting modes like VS with traffic and autocross.

Could have truly been the definitive racer out there.

This has nothing to do with sales. There's no skin off their back to add sim steering along with their other modes. Sims like GT5 sell over 8 million copies and they have true steering along with assisted steering.

I'm just so disappointed in seeing something that is near perfect ruined by something like this. It's like the Mona Lisa painting but she is wearing neon green lipstick.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Shortt Sirket said:
I am not sure if anyone cares, but I took some quick pics of the packaging and the book at work. I had to do it fast and with my phone, so they aren't that great. The steel case is quite nice and the book is amazing with interesting information and some fantastic shots of the different cars.

Here are the pics.
I like that steel case. Somewhat make me wish I had ordered that version.

SarBear

Shortt Sirket said:
I am not sure if anyone cares, but I took some quick pics of the packaging and the book at work. I had to do it fast and with my phone, so they aren't that great. The steel case is quite nice and the book is amazing with interesting information and some fantastic shots of the different cars.

Here are the pics.

Thank you very much. The wait just became painful now. Seriously painful. I really didn't care for the artbook, but now i want it more than ever.

Shaneus

Shortt Sirket said:

Here are the pics.
No surprises, which is a shame. I absolutely adored the packaging for FM3 and the book included with FM2 (I think. That was the driving techniques one, wasn't it?). Looks like they've gone down a fairly unimaginative route with FM4 by comparison.

Still gonna adore the shit out of it, but I'd love to have seen more than a steelbook, dictation of AV cars and some extra car/track packs... because that's par for the course. Hole-in-one that shit, T10.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
LE will be mine soon! Thanks for the pics.

Game has such an amazing feel and look. Racing games are not my thing and I would probably not touch it much, but I'm tempted to place a preorder on this just because of the quality.

Seriously, who the fuck is composing for this?? Every piece of music in the demo is REALLY good.

edit- contrast needs to be dialed down a tad ingame, the blacks are being crushed in an otherwise incredible looking game

Don't worry >_> ^_^

Iknos said:
If you play this game without taking your car to it's limits and purposefully drive slow through the track the physics are great. Everything about it seems right. The moment you take your tires to their limits the assists start kicking in and take it into arcade game territory.

The physics stay the same splendid selves it is the steering control that ruins everything by making things unrealistic. There is no reason why there's boosters on your steering when your car slides. It doesn't even assist you in any way it just adds to the fish tailing. It's like they added that to make things seem realistic because maybe they found that their engine couldn't emulate real fish tailing ? ? ?

Fanatec is releasing a 900 degree wheel with their branding on it so it doesnt make sense to make the game so it ruins the experience on them.

At the same time it was misleading the whole time to hint at the game finally getting true steering when they knew all along it wasn't. Dans cryptic remarks make a whole lot of sense now.

Excuse my frustration. I see an excellent game with great graphics and great physics. There are some very interesting modes like VS with traffic and autocross.

This has nothing to do with sales. There's no skin off their back to add sim steering along with their other modes. Sims like GT5 sell over 8 million copies and they have true steering along with assisted steering.

I'm just so disappointed in seeing something that is near perfect ruined by something like this. It's like the Mona Lisa painting but she is wearing neon green lipstick.

What are you using? A controller or wheel?

jedimike

+1 for the speed wheel. I bought it last week and tried it with PGR, Burnout Paradise, and Dirt. It worked well for everything except Dirt. Then I used it for the Forza demo and fell in love with it. They really dialed it in for this game. I tried it on all levels and felt I could control the game very well even with steering assist set to simulation.

jedimike

Iknos said:

What was your steering set to? It ranges from aided to simulation.

Hawk269

Shortt Sirket said:

Here are the pics.

Cool man. Mind telling us how much was on the 2nd disc when you installed it. I know in Forza 3 the 2nd disk was only 1.9gb, so just curious.

Izayoi

Banned
Shortt Sirket said:

Here are the pics.
Loving the steel book. Do want.

The more I play the demo, the more I love it.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
just played my first race on the demo. The handling feels a lot better, everything looks sharper, the UI is snappier too. I'm really enjoying it.

Hawk269

jedimike said:
+1 for the speed wheel. I bought it last week and tried it with PGR, Burnout Paradise, and Dirt. It worked well for everything except Dirt. Then I used it for the Forza demo and fell in love with it. They really dialed it in for this game. I tried it on all levels and felt I could control the game very well even with steering assist set to simulation.

Have to agree with you 100%. My only concern is the lack of LB/RB buttons. I was using it in Forza 3 and while fantastic, when I was in some of he menu's, like auction house there was buttons like "RB" to go to "My auctions" etc...so I hope there is settings that allow you to set other buttons on the controller to do stuff.

But playability with the new speed wheel is extremly well done and played alot of F3 yesterday with it.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Major major positive feelings by everyone playing the game it seems, most importantly people are having a shit ton of fun.

T10 you marvelous bastards.

Made T10's top 10 picks on the storefront :)

6208811741_d6f9c9899f_b.jpg

Grom will be proud lol.

I expect a good deal of crow will be eaten after people actually use the speed wheel. When I tried it I thought it was an incredible piece of tech. The original thread about it is terrible.

AlexMogil

I wonder, is the STI in the demo the same one as the pre ordered Amazon version? Like is this from a few months ago and the real one will... be better?

Silly question, but, kinda hoping they fix some nitpicky stuff I have about the model. :-(

Izayoi

Banned
Well, I was thinking about a Fanatec setup, but if the speed wheel really is that good, I might have to give it a shot (and save myself some cash).

Big-ass Ramp

I don't know what this rivals thing is but now I'm in a Zonda and holy moly its quick

edit: ok so this rivals thing? I feel like I just struck gold. What a cool idea, I can see myself spending HOURS on this mode alone.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Special J said:
so how does the photo exporter work? images seem small but compression is definitely improved.

Much better compression for regular shots, you can export a HUGE picture too at a time.

D23

demo was amazing!!!!!!
i skipped forza 3 so i was blown away with the graphics. HUGE improvement over forza 2. still cant believe its running on the same hardware!

gears 3 and forza 4 really shows the full potential of 360.

oh also, does the main menu music reminds you guys of mass effect? i certainly get that vibe its pretty awesome!

Jube3

Slayer-33 said:
Major major positive feelings by everyone playing the game it seems, most importantly people are having a shit ton of fun.

T10 you marvelous bastards.

Made T10's top 10 picks on the storefront :)

6208811741_d6f9c9899f_b.jpg

Grom will be proud lol.

Yea I like this shot, it's Money like Landin would say hehe :)

FStop7

Banned
Shortt Sirket said:

Here are the pics.

Give me that.

edit - I might have to give the speed wheel a shot.

Hawk269

Big Ass Ramp said:
Where are you folks getting the speed wheel early?

also I really really love the new handling.

My local Gamestop had it the other day. I know Best Buy shows it as coming soon though.

guest1321

SarBear said:
Just curious....how long should it take for me to receive the RX-7 unicorn in Forza 3? I sent in my receipt a while ago and haven't received anything, unicorn nor confirmation.

....Just saying. =/

drifter444 said:
I haven't received mine either. I did all the steps (I've pre-ordered from amazon).
You two are looking for a message in your Forza 3 inbox right?

Big Ass Ramp said:
wow for real? I never would have guessed
Yeah, it is pretty sweet. When I first saw the pictures of it back at E3 I laughed so damn hard and said it looked like the stupidest attempt at recreating a wiiwheel. I was so so so wrong. I think someone said it after my longer post but I did leave out that it doesn't have the LB and RB functionality which is kind of a pain in the ass.
It shipped on the 26th of sep. so just call up GS assuming you are in the U.S., and ask when they are getting them in.

G Rom

Pleasantly surprised to find out that the SX4 had all the body kits to make it look like its WRC counterpart :
6209828573_e6c8b9454f_b.jpg

Some E39 love :
6209833687_f5f078325d_b.jpg

And finally, dat body roll. In cockpit view it looks like you're gonna hit the windshield each time you brake ! :lol
6210348248_9ec787a56b_b.jpg

6210348302_c0b5bc156c_b.jpg

Mascot

flyinpiranha said:
So what's up with the car club talk? Can you already join one before the game launches or is this just getting a list going?

Gowans007, please save me a spot for the GAF car club. I won't be able to sign up until the game launches in the UK. The postman must have stolen my green disc...

Gowans

m0dus said:
Started working on a custom livery for the Neogaf Car club. I'll also be making some of my rides available for use.

6209255931_e6fd75128d_b.jpg

6209255767_a482c0046c_b.jpg

6209771190_861263fba6_b.jpg

Nice! can't wait to get racing with the club stuff.

Mascot said:
Gowans007, please save me a spot for the GAF car club. I won't be able to sign up until the game launches in the UK. The postman must have stolen my green disc...

There is plenty of space.

Big-ass Ramp

guest1321 said:
You two are looking for a message in your Forza 3 inbox right?

Yeah, it is pretty sweet. When I first saw the pictures of it back at E3 I laughed so damn hard and said it looked like the stupidest attempt at recreating a wiiwheel. I was so so so wrong. I think someone said it after my longer post but I did leave out that it doesn't have the LB and RB functionality which is kind of a pain in the ass.
It shipped on the 26th of sep. so just call up GS assuming you are in the U.S., and ask when they are getting them in.

Ohh, ok. You've been a huge help. Thanks

Mascot

mclaren777 said:
So does this confirm that the Ring will only be dreary/foggy?

I'd say moody/atmospheric. I love it. We need some respite from all those blue skies and bright suns! Variety is the spice of life, no..?

Gowans007 said:
There is plenty of space.

Cool - thanks.

p3tran

Banned
...I am hunting distributors to get my early LCE. wont be long now...

p.s. m0dus, jolly work as usual my friend. how about adding a beard to the forza-gaf logo? :D

p3tran

Banned
amar212 said:
Also save one for me, thank you in advance.

And you P3tran, your speed is unbelievable :D
I'm not faster than bcd2 or gek. And apparently I am slower than nagge!!
will have to finish with the house and pull out the wheel and see what can be done with him lol

p.s. amar you are from the balkans iirc? I'm in Athens, so you my neighbour :D

Top Bottom