• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

Yoritomo

watership said:
The creative director of Turn10 and the dude who runs the whole shebang doesn't understand what's in his own game?

Correct. Or he misunderstood what was being asked. He made this comment before seeing the video, and we don't see what he was responding to.

After making this comment he was given the video link and told the person who gave him the link that he would "look into it".

sneaky77

Yoritomo said:
Dan is not technically correct in his assessment, or he misunderstood the problem. The issue is only apparent on wheel in 900 degree mode. So fanatec wheels only. If you test the game at 270 degrees you will not see the issue that I point out in my video.

The issue is that the steering ratio changes drastically on 900 degree wheels when you are counter steering. Imagine that the xbox is turning your 900 degree wheel into a 270 degree wheel only when you are counter steering. In the video I posted/created I show the transition point where it goes back to having the lowered sensitivity of a 900 degree wheel.

I wondered if that's a patchable oversight in the programming

Yoritomo

It makes total sense why this is happening too.

270 degree wheels have speed sensitive steering. As you increase in speed the sensitivity lowers. If you get into a situation where you need to correct a slide you obviously need the entire range of outputs. So the sensitivity increase while counter steering.

The problem is it also does this for 900 degree wheels even though there is no speed sensitivity and no need for it since you already have the granularity you need due to the range of the wheel. Now when counter steering it does the same thing, it changes to being really sensitive only when counter steering. On the one hand this makes it easier to correct a slide, on the other it really screws me up cause I immediately overcorrect until I get used to it again.

Me: Oops a quick 90 degree snap to the left should correct this tiny slide, I can probably keep my foot in it.

Forza 4: FULL OPPOSITE LOCK!!!!!

Me: Oh god what have I done.

So it was really critical to me to understand what was happening. I'm not an intuitive person, I've very analytical. Now that I know what is happening I can drive without any issues. I just make tiny tiny corrections if I feel the rear end starting to step out.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Yoritomo said:

270 degree wheels have speed sensitive steering. As you increase in speed the sensitivity lowers. If you get into a situation where you need to correct a slide you obviously need the entire range of outputs. So the sensitivity increase while counter steering.

The problem is it also does this for 900 degree wheels even though there is no speed sensitivity and no need for it since you already have the granularity you need due to the range of the wheel. Now when counter steering it does the same thing, it changes to being really sensitive only when counter steering. On the one hand this makes it easier to correct a slide, on the other it really screws me up cause I immediately overcorrect until I get used to it again.

Me: Oops a quick 90 degree snap to the left should correct this tiny slide, I can probably keep my foot in it.

So it was really critical to me to understand what was happening. I'm not an intuitive person, I've very analytical. Now that I know what is happening I can drive without any issues. I just make tiny tiny corrections if I'm feel the rear end starting to step out.

Should post about it on the forum or Jube sees it and they can look into it further.

Mascot

Holyfuckholyfuckholyfuck... I've just initiated my data transfer.

If you don't hear from me by 9pm GMT then please send a SWAT team and ambulance to my home address.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Mascot said:
Holyfuckholyfuckholyfuck... I've just initiated my data transfer.

If you don't hear from me by 9pm GMT then please send a SWAT team and ambulance to my home address.

hahahaahha

My xfer went off flawlessly.

Mascot

Slayer-33 said:
hahahaahha

My xfer went off flawlessly.

I just touched cloth when an alert suddenly popped up, but it was only asking if I wanted Hexic replacing. Phew.

Don't fuck with me, Xbox. I will fuck you the fuck up.

guest1321

Mascot said:
I just touched cloth when an alert suddenly popped up, but it was only asking if I wanted Hexic replacing. Phew.

Don't fuck with me, Xbox. I will fuck you the fuck up.
What is Hexic replacing?

eek5

guest1321 said:
What is Hexic replacing?
I think hes talking about Hexic, the arcade game that is put on xbox HDDs. It probably asked him if he wanted to replace Hexic since hes transfering from his old HDD to his new one and they both have Hexic on them already.

guest1321

eek5 said:
I think hes talking about Hexic, the arcade game that is put on xbox HDDs. It probably asked him if he wanted to replace Hexic since hes transfering from his old HDD to his new one and they both have Hexic on them already.
Haha yeah just realized that was probably what it was. I thought it was some super underground thing I had no idea about lol...

Giard

drugstore_cowboy said:
Tried PMing Jube?

I don't know if it was a coincidence but when mine didn't come though I messaged him, didn't get a reply but the car was there next day.
Not sure I'm understanding this correctly, but I sent proof of my preorder of Forza 4, yet I haven't received anything yet. I don't have Forza 3 though, will I get something once I boot Forza 4? Or am I supposed to have received a code already?

Giard said:
Not sure I'm understanding this correctly, but I sent proof of my preorder of Forza 4, yet I haven't received anything yet. I don't have Forza 3 though, will I get something once I boot Forza 4? Or am I supposed to have received a code already?

Er... the pre-order incentive is a gift car in Forza 3 (that might turn into a car in Forza 4, if you didn't already have a Spirit R). There's no email or anything, just a message in FM3 that you got a new car and you can download it.

I just realized there are two cars other than the Zonda in Rivals mode. It's really fun to weave in and out of AI cars with the BMW. Does using the rewind feature in Rivals mode count as a fault? Personally, I don't think the rewind feature should be in Rivals mode. Time trial mode in DiRT 3 had no flashback option which made me really concentrate and strive for the best time. I really wish there was a replay option in the demo. I have pulled off some crazy drifts on some of the turns. Can't wait till next week.

eek5

VindictiveGnome said:
I just realized there are two cars other than the Zonda in Rivals mode. It's really fun to weave in and out of AI cars with the BMW. Does using the rewind feature in Rivals mode count as a fault? Personally, I don't think the rewind feature should be in Rivals mode. Time trial mode in DiRT 3 had no flashback option which made me really concentrate and strive for the best time. I really wish there was a replay option in the demo. I have pulled off some crazy drifts on some of the turns. Can't wait till next week.

If go off track, hit a car, use rewind the lap is uncertified and is placed under all certified times. So you could run a 1:38 with rewind but someone who runs a clean lap in 5 mins will be above you in leaderboard.

Giard

CrudeDiatribe said:
Er... the pre-order incentive is a gift car in Forza 3 (that might turn into a car in Forza 4, if you didn't already have a Spirit R). There's no email or anything, just a message in FM3 that you got a new car and you can download it.

Ah.. I must have read the page incorrectly then. Thanks.

Iknos

Yoritomo said:

So it was really critical to me to understand what was happening. I'm not an intuitive person, I've very analytical. Now that I know what is happening I can drive without any issues. I just make tiny tiny corrections if I feel the rear end starting to step out.
Accurate but there is also the same steering lock happening and there is still oscillation as well.

Dan said long ago the initial turn in is direct so he seems to know of this.

Put in 1:1 steering for those that bought 900 degree wheels and this can be the best console sim since GT3/4.

Like you I race within the constraints and try to not understeer which results in assists in "sim" mode and try not to overstate which also results in craziness in sim mode. Pretty much what you are supposed to do in hotlap mode. I was able to enjoy FM3 as a rsult of doing this

What bugs me is that I invested in a cross platform 900 deg wheel because of Forza. While I now have a G27 I could have saved that money and used it for many other things. To get the impression that this game would have aim steering and it doesn't is disappointing. It's also false advertising to label it as "simulation" steering when it is heavily screwing with your inputs.

What is scary is that the cockpit view shows the driver moving his wheel with 1:1 mapping to your wheel with no lag. So its not like the game can't read it as it does.

I have got a new live account for this game too lol and I might not get it. IknosRacing add me I am sticking to rivals since it's pretty clinical driving and I don't see any assists unless I screw up. The alps track is pretty good. Love the elevation.

eek5 said:
If go off track, hit a car, use rewind the lap is uncertified and is placed under all certified times. So you could run a 1:38 with rewind but someone who runs a clean lap in 5 mins will be above you in leaderboard.
Very cool! Love the way Rivals is structured. I'll keep going for that clean lap. I have 1:48 clean lap with the Zonda. The other two all have faults because the AI likes to get in my way.

Mascot

flyinpiranha said:
His Forza 3 save.

You are a bad, bad man for even thinking that..! :lol

1066/1066 files successfully transferred.

FM3 save intact.

Turtle's head slowly retracting back into its shell.

Woo, as they say, Hoo. Very relieved right now after all the nightmare stories!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
VindictiveGnome said:

yes, it does count as a fault

Yoritomo said:

I don't actually know the answer to this, so I'll ask. Is 900° support new for FM4? What happens in FM3? Does it just not recognize anything past 135° in either direction?

I thought for sure this was bad design choice, but after watching your video again today, I'm kind of thinking it actually is a bug. It just looks so silly. If they did add support for 900°, it appears they just forgot to apply it to oppo. An amateur mistake, but easily fixable.

I really hope it gets sorted for you Fanatec guys.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Alright, the gamestop near me has a speed wheel... Damn it I think I'll go get one. Can't believe I'm saying that, I always thought it looked stupid, but the impressions here have convinced me. I must really want it if I'm willing to go to gamestop.

Xanadu

Banned
heres my thoughts :)

i got xbox live gold again today played forza 3 for the first time in over a year and got a nice 9million credits from my storefront lol as i remembered, the forza 3 cars had way too much grip

i just played the demo and man i am impressed, the physics are much improved, i feel the car slip and even the slightest of overcorrection even at higher speeds and you lose it, this never happened in forza 3. the graphics are better but we all know that, there is still aliasing but not quite as noticeable as 3, and the lighting is a different league. the sounds are better than ever with ABS and improved engine notes, i can tell already this will be a much better game for me than forza 3 was

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Xanadu said:

i got xbox live gold again today played forza 3 for the first time in over a year and got a nice 9million credits from my storefront lol as i remembered, the forza 3 cars had way too much grip

i just played the demo and man i am impressed, the physics are much improved, i feel the car slip and even the slightest of overcorrection even at higher speeds and you lose it, this never happened in forza 3. the graphics are better but we all know that, there is still aliasing but not quite as noticeable as 3, and the lighting is a different league. the sounds are better than ever with ABS and improved engine notes, i can tell already this will be a much better game for me than forza 3 was
You forgot the but.

cbox

Ripping through that one curvy section with the zonda just feels so damn good, even with a controller. No wheel unfortunately.

Gowans

Finally playing on the downstairs Xbox. Head tracking is working great say on a sofa 8 foot away from my tv, I'm shocked.

Take this as you will but I am totally skipping upgrading and tinkering jut to race as much as I can.

Who are all the gaffers who got this early? I need your gamertag or you need to search for gaf and join the club.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Xanadu said:

YOUR BODY IS READY, WELCOME TO THE DARKSIDE ETC ETC

Time to baptize you my child.

Go do the Zonda rivals challenge and have some insane fun nao.

Gameplay wise it's an insane jump. The other stuff is just gravy.

Mascot said:
Very relieved right now after all the nightmare stories!

One of the reasons I aint upgraded to the slim is because of the thought of loosing all my Forza 3 data. Glad it went well.

Now your back, I've put in some times for you to beat on Rivals ;)

Some gaffers I just cant catch :( I'm down to 1:44.1something (in the Zonda) recon I could shave half a second off that if I'm lucky, using the pad by the way, all assists off and simulated steering on.

Xanadu

Banned
Slayer-33 said:
YOUR BODY IS READY, WELCOME TO THE DARKSIDE ETC ETC

Time to baptize you my child.

Go do the Zonda rivals challenge and have some insane fun nao.
baptize? dude i've been a forza fan since the first lol

and yes i've done all the rival events, beat all of my nooby friends lol

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Xanadu said:
baptize? dude i've been a forza fan since the first lol

and yes i've done all the rival events, beat all of my nooby friends lol

I know you've played forza since the first lol just saying :p

Now I got the itch to get that god damned air wheel... God damned people praising it too much.. It just seems way too convenient to pick up and use.

It's fun to weave in and out of AI cars in Rivals mode, but geez the AI has messed up so many clean laps. I get to the backside of the course on the uphill part and I always hit someone. It's frustrating. I won't give up though! It's also annoying that I get a fault when the AI hits me. If I do a clean pass, then they bump the back of me it should not count as a fault. I try to have proper racing etiquette by not hitting any AI cars.

Slayer-33 said:
I know you've played forza since the first lol just saying :p

Now I got the itch to get that god damned air wheel... God damned people praising it too much.. It just seems way too convenient to pick up and use.

yeah i got that going on too....playing on the pad last night i was kind of turning the controller just to mentally imagine how it would feel.

then i felt like a dork.

re: Kinect...i sit back in my couch with my feet up on the table when i game, so the kinect always keys on the bottoms of my feet until i sit forward. i wonder if it will pick up my melon against the couch....

feel

I just leave the demo on the title screen all day so I can listen to the amazing music while I'm around the room. :lol

Can't believe I'm really considering ordering the game and the speed wheel (or just the game if kinect steering somehow works incredibly). I know almost nothing about racing or cars and I never buy racing games, but this game is so good, the feel of the vehicles on the asphalt is incredible, such nice feel of speed. The realtime data (on tire traction, suspension, etc) that pops up when you press the dpad blew my mind. Career and Community modes might be too much for me though so I would probably end up sticking to the quick races and casual modes like that.

@Slayer-33 What did your response to my contrast and crushed blacks complaint from yesterday mean? You said something on the lines of "don't worry about it".

v
Slayer-33 said:
Internal game setting that lets you fix that :p
SWEET :)

Letters said:
Seriously, who the fuck is composing for this?? Every piece of music in the demo is REALLY good.

DJ Lance Hayes. Poor chap is forever alone on facebook and doesnt get enough praise/credit :(

I made a comment on his fb wall recently complimenting his FM3 music as well as the FM4 demo and he replied back saying he appreciated the comment :)

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
-MikePriester- said:
Wouldn't mind a couple of pics from someone showing the difference between standard contrast and increased contrast, if anyone could be so kind?

Not really allowed to take pics off the screen but I can see if I can do it through the storefront.

-edit hmm I'm not sure if it would matter since you can adjust photomode settings obviously, needed to be direct cap or offscreen so I can't do it since it breaks the rules.

Doodis

Letters said:
Can't believe I'm really considering ordering the game and the speed wheel (or just the game if kinect steering somehow works incredibly).
You'll only be able to use Kinect to drive in specific Kinect modes - the bulk of the game will require controller, speed wheel, or other wheel setup.

So order the game and the speed wheel. :)

cbox

fu3lfr3nzy said:
DJ Lance Hayes. Poor chap is forever alone on facebook and doesnt get enough praise/credit :(

I made a comment on his fb wall recently complimenting his FM3 music as well as the FM4 demo and he replied back saying he appreciated the comment :)

I can't find him on Facebook, link?

I just sent an email to the pre-order incentives people. I hope my screenshot of my order details on Amazon will suffice. If not I will send them another when Amazon charges it to my card and ships it.

Top Bottom