• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

GTP_Daverytimes said:
You my friend are not helping you'r case, i never compared both games. All i did was point out the lack of nitpicking (Which like i said is a good thing). I simply replied to someone who seemed to think that the whole thread was full of nitpickers, which most certainly was not the case. I referred to GT5 it sort of set the benchmark for nitpicking.
I never said you did.

I pointed out there is nit picking going on and I posted the definition in case someone didn't know what it meant.

I posted the second part to explain why the nitpicking was the level it was for GT5.

soundscream said:
I never said you did.

I pointed out there is nit picking going on and I posted the definition in case someone didn't know what it meant.

I posted the second part to explain why the nitpicking was the level it was for GT5.

Please explain why?

Edit: Since the thread began all people (2 or 3) has nitpicked on is the wheel on the civic, but that has easily died out since no one really cares.

GTP_Daverytimes said:
Please explain why?
I really dont want to go into the whole tit for tat that has been going on for the past couple of years. But simply the VS thread was created because of the trolling that was going on in both threads. It happened with both camps, but to deny that one side was more disproportionate than the other is to be disingenuous. As a result the saying "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw bricks" comes into play. If you champion something as being beyond reproach and on another stratosphere compared to a similar product, its only natural to expect more criticism when it isnt the perfect idealization that it was hyped to be.

GTP_Daverytimes said:
Since the thread began all people (2 or 3) has nitpicked on is the wheel on the civic, but that has easily died out since no one really cares.
He didn't say the whole thread was nothing but nitpickers he said he staid out because when it happens it takes over and becomes tedious. And there was also a discussion about the lights on the Honda and the exhaust on the BMW. All of which is nitpicking unless you are going to play the game in 3rd person while pressing right on the left thumb stick so you can race while in profile view.

supersaw said:
A lot of current games are running sub hd.
He said he couldn't play it on an HDTV.

GTP_Daverytimes said:
Please explain why?

Are you serious? GT5/PS3 fanboys/enthusiasts/apologists claimed it to be the second coming of Christ. Forza 3 was laughed at by these individuals and then it turned out to be that Forza 3, a game from 2009 with 3x less dev time and resources spent, was rated higher in the end and won many comparisons and face-offs when compared head-to head with GT5 (framerate, FPS, features, etc.). Not to mention PD themselves mentioned a number of things that were going to be implemented in the game but weren't, after 6 years and an insane amount of money spent.

There was more critisism coming from diehard GT enthusiasts than anything, but what I previously mentioned had a big factor in the end. Look at some of the shit posted in the VS topic for proof or even sites like GTUniversity.

Please stop acting like GT5 was unfairly attacked and nitpicked to death in comparison to the competition.

benzy

You guys are now nitpicking about nitpicking... :lol

Pepto said:
Darker version? Both gifs have the same GT5 wheel.

I guess there's a misunderstanding. I meant GT5's wheel is the darker version between the 2 wheels in that gif, not that there were different GT5 wheels shown. Now that I look at it again, the 2 gifs have different color grading and Forza's wheel looks darker in the first gif.

benzy said:
You guys are now nitpicking about nitpicking... :lol
yo%20dawg%20-%20dog%20-%20xzhibit.png

Ty4on

soundscream said:
Adding an "I" would have made it more clear :)
Sorry for that, not the first misunderstanding my sentences has created ;)

Probably wrote that back then to make up for it, but that could have meant anything.

Any ideas on when to expect more real info?

Maybe some more track reveals? Upgrades to existing tracks? (pretty please! Most of the real-world tracks are so damn boring) Confirmation yay or nay on night driving or other driving surfaces/disciplines? More Top Gear challenges?

On the Top Gear front I love what I've heard more than what I've seen. Top Gear test track and replays? Awesome. Love it. Day one. But I remember watching one video there it was said that Turn 10 and the Top Gear guys sat down and brainstormed about challenges and the like that they would love to do on the show but couldn't because of money or time or resources. Real crazy, ambitious, expensive stuff. And what did they come up with? Bowling and Soccer? Really? I don't think so. The show has done soccer already at least twice that I can remember.

adelante

We'll most likely see more major announcements from Gamescom in a couple week's time...here's hoping they'll release new screenshots to tide us over til then :(

soundscream said:
I really dont want to go into the whole tit for tat that has been going on for the past couple of years. But simply the VS thread was created because of the trolling that was going on in both threads. It happened with both camps, but to deny that one side was more disproportionate than the other is to be disingenuous. As a result the saying "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw bricks" comes into play. If you champion something as being beyond reproach and on another stratosphere compared to a similar product, its only natural to expect more criticism when it isnt the perfect idealization that it was hyped to be.

He didn't say the whole thread was nothing but nitpickers he said he staid out because when it happens it takes over and becomes tedious. And there was also a discussion about the lights on the Honda and the exhaust on the BMW. All of which is nitpicking unless you are going to play the game in 3rd person while pressing right on the left thumb stick so you can race while in profile view.

Have you been outside of Gaf? do you think the VS thread is reason people were critical of GT5?. Look GT5 took too long to come out and as time went on people's expectations grew, if people toned down their expectations they more than likely would not have been disappointed. We don't expect much from Forza 4 that's why we are blown away by most of the things we have seen, the physics has been reworked, the graphics engine seems to have been fine tuned and there is the inclusion of Autovista (which we did not expect). Sure both camps got nitpickers but the Forza camp is not even in the same stratosphere as GT5 when it comes to criticism and nitpickers.

Infamous Chris said:
Are you serious? GT5/PS3 fanboys/enthusiasts/apologists claimed it to be the second coming of Christ. Forza 3 was laughed at by these individuals and then it turned out to be that Forza 3, a game from 2009 with 3x less dev time and resources spent, was rated higher in the end and won many comparisons and face-offs when compared head-to head with GT5 (framerate, FPS, features, etc.). Not to mention PD themselves mentioned a number of things that were going to be implemented in the game but weren't, after 6 years and an insane amount of money spent.

There was more critisism coming from diehard GT enthusiasts than anything, but what I previously mentioned had a big factor in the end. Look at some of the shit posted in the VS topic for proof or even sites like GTUniversity.

Please stop acting like GT5 was unfairly attacked and nitpicked to death in comparison to the competition.

You are simply shooting yourself in the foot, i never mentioned whether GT5 deserved the criticism or not. Remember we are talking about nitpicking, people who find fault with the most insignificant things. GT5 received more of those because people were going out of their way to find faults in the game, like you said GT5 was the second coming (As it was presented by GT5 die-hards) and because of that Forza die-hards were out on a march to find faults with it.

adelante

GTP_Daverytimes said:
Have you been outside of Gaf? do you think the VS thread is reason people were critical of GT5?. Look GT5 took too long to come out and as time went on people's expectations grew, if people toned down their expectations they more than likely would not have been disappointed. We don't expect much from Forza 4 that's why we are blown away by most of the things we have seen, the physics has been reworked, the graphics engine seems to have been fine tuned and there is the inclusion of Autovista (which we did not expect). Sure both camps got nitpickers but the Forza camp is not even in the same stratosphere as GT5 when it comes to criticism and nitpickers.
So basically you're reinforcing soundscream's point, that GT5 received more criticisms due to unmet expectations. sigh...I don't know what you're debating about anymore. You bumped up the F3 VS GT5 thread after several months of inactivity and now that that's died down quickly, you've come and incite pointless arguments here instead by bringing up cjelly's comment that has since been buried under many posts that's actually pertaining to the game itself?? In a thread that has seen no response from you until now?

Shaneus

Anyway, back to actual game stuff: Is there any info laid out on what I need to do to preorder so I can maximise the amount of cars I get on launch day? There's been dribs and drabs around the place but I'd like to secure something before it's too late.

Xanadu

Banned
am i the only one who wants to start fresh? i do it with the GT games too even though i could start with loads of money i choose to start over and firstly have a basic car which i can upgrade, its much more fun than suddenly having amazing cars before even the first race imo

supersaw

Xanadu said:
am i the only one who wants to start fresh? i do it with the GT games too even though i could start with loads of money i choose to start over and firstly have a basic car which i can upgrade, its much more fun than suddenly having amazing cars before even the first race imo

The only thing I hate about starting fresh is the terrible beginner tracks at the start. I like the entry level cars a lot but I'd prefer to race them on full courses with a decent amount of laps to actually get the feel for the car and track.

Shaneus

Xanadu said:
Just because it's there, doesn't mean you have to spend it! I'd prefer to have some extra money in case I want to race some friends online in a specific class. But the idea of starting fresh with a new game is definitely exciting!
supersaw said:
The only thing I hate about starting fresh is the terrible beginner tracks at the start. I like the entry level cars a lot but I'd prefer to race them on full courses with a decent amount of laps to actually get the feel for the car and track.
Single lap around Nordschleife in a Fiesta!

AlexMogil

I wonder if the Sti preorder is actually a 2012? The Forza car is missing a couple details on its model that were rumored to be left off the 2012. Just strange.

ugh, can you guys take GT vs FM talks to that other thread. Resurected if you must, it bound to happen anyway when FM4 come out.

And if you want to troll Forza then by all mean used that thread too.

eso76

Simlpe reasons why FM gets a lot of nitpicking.

1) people obviously want it to look as 'photorealistic' as the other game

2) T10 took an effort to keep in contact with the community and appears to be reading forums and actually listening to some of the criticism and feedback the game gets as its developed, which makes people think they can suggest ways to improve it.

Mascot

eso76 said:
2) T10 took an effort to keep in contact with the community and appears to be reading forums and actually listening to some of the criticism and feedback the game gets as its developed, which makes people think they can suggest ways to improve it.

Yeah, what's happened to their community manager (Brian... somebody? Ekberg? Ex-Gamespot guy?) this time around? I've hardly seen any input from him on the official forums. Che might have rubbed a few people up the wrong way but at least he wasn't scared to raise his head above the parapet.

If Turn 10 really DO read the forums and take ideas on board then it would be nice if they had a bit more presence there (or preferably here..!).

saladine1

Xanadu said:
Mate, I hate having all cars,money,all upgrades,all tracks..etc opened up right from the beginning. I love working my way up from the bottom. I love looking forward to unlocking things and such as it gives me a sense of accomplishment.
I've always been like that ever since GT made it a staple in racing games..

Regarding info, I do expect some reveals (big?),perhaps even a bombshell of some kind during GC. But more than just a few pics, I would love to see a nice direct video...

C'mon Turn 10, when are you going to show the new? upgrades/customization/tuning features?

Mascot said:
Yeah, what's happened to their community manager (Brian... somebody? Ekberg? Ex-Gamespot guy?) this time around? I've hardly seen any input from him on the official forums. Che might have rubbed a few people up the wrong way but at least he wasn't scared to raise his head above the parapet.

If Turn 10 really DO read the forums and take ideas on board then it would be nice if they had a bit more presence there (or preferably here..!).
True, Che made an impact,good and bad, but at least we got to hear from him. He dropped some info,hints..etc nearly every day. He was very active on here, even moreso than the official forums.
When he was asked by the Forza forums why he posted on Gaf more than the official pages, he said that it was more to do with 'getting the game out there' sort of thing.
I imagine that a few things have changed since then evidenced by the lack of any Ekeberg action here on Gaf...

Mascot

saladine1 said:
I imagine that a few things have changed since then evidenced by the lack of any Ekeberg action here on Gaf...

Lol, Che probably told him "Whatever you do, do NOT visit GAF. Those savages will fuck you up, son. Fuck you up good."

amar212

Mascot said:
Lol, Che probably told him "Whatever you do, do NOT visit GAF. Those savages will fuck you up, son. Fuck you up good."

Although funny, it is not even remotely accurate - GAF is nice :)

I was surprised when I realized how GAF is - in fact - much more "mature" place for discussion and sharing insights above both GT and Forza than any other community forum. Frozamotorsportnet, Forzacentralcom and GTPlanetnet have become almost unbearable places to be after any of games launched.

Hell, even cluterphuck of "VS" thread is much more mature and grown-up than many of threads on forums I've mentioned above.

saladine1

Mascot said:
Lol.

Che- "Look at my battle scars.."
Ekberg- "Fuck that, I'm too pretty for scars.."

Mascot said:

I don't think he has a Gaf account, I could be wrong ... but after Che I am sure any community manager would be wary about posting here.

Also don't forget we got Jube here. Let's all bug him!

adelante said:
So basically you're reinforcing soundscream's point, that GT5 received more criticisms due to unmet expectations. sigh...I don't know what you're debating about anymore. You bumped up the F3 VS GT5 thread after several months of inactivity and now that that's died down quickly, you've come and incite pointless arguments here instead by bringing up cjelly's comment that has since been buried under many posts that's actually pertaining to the game itself?? In a thread that has seen no response from you until now?
What do you think the GTP in his username stands for? Forza Planet? :lol

I think I'm out of this thread until the game is released. This shit was tedious with Forza 3, it was tedious with GT5 and, surprise surprise, it's just the same with Forza 4.

supersaw

Shaneus said:
supersaw said:

Single lap around Nordschleife in a Fiesta!

I do shit like that all the time. Mainly in Golfs but yeah I love racing the lower class cars on proper circuits.

adelante

brotkasten said:
What do you think the GTP in his username stands for? Forza Planet? :lol
Haha cmon I was giving him the benefit of the doubt :(

But I guess his intentions are as clear as day now! =p

Jube said:
I always thought Jube was just Che's alt-account..? The one he uses when he wants to be nice?
Jube's a fellow gaffer who got hired by Turn10 last year....deservedly so if I may add cos his livery art has always been GODLY (although I'm sure he's bringing more than just his livery editing talent over there)

Mascot

adelante said:
Jube's a fellow gaffer who got hired by Turn10 last year....deservedly so if I may add cos his livery art has always been GODLY (although I'm sure he's bringing more than just his livery editing talent over there)

Ha ha..! I know. I was just cracking wise. I've got a bunch of Jube's godly creations myself.

Change of subject: does anyone know how the new Forza-branded Fanatech wheel will work with the PS3 (as it allegedly does) when all the button legends are clearly for the 360? There's none of that neat automatically-adjusting illuminated buttons like there is on the GT2.

Special J

Banned
Ty4on said:
Kinda amazing how bad Forza 2 looked when you look at the two year older PGR 3. 60 fps does make a difference, but not that huge.

lol no if you're not a 60fps racing sim youre low tier. thats like putting out a 30fps fighting game. anyone that disagrees preemptively fails.

soundscream said:
What? The xbox 360 upscales, I played it on an HDTV.
i had some problems with the scaling in this game. but i cant remember for sure what it was. maybe squished 16:9 on 5:4 display.

drugstore_cowboy said:
Can I just mail off a copy of my pre-order receipt/gamertag to forza_preorder@microsoft.com to recieve the bonus cars? I avoid that facebook/twitter shit wherever possible and would hate to have to make an account somewhere just be eligible.

The only thing extra you have to do is to post in the thread saying you preordered it. It says all the info on the PreOrder Bonus page.

Mascot

Forza 4 is the cover game for this month's GamesTM, with an eight-page spread inside. Haven't read it in detail yet but a quick scan reveals absolutely nothing fresh, not even new images.

BAH!

Shortt Sirket said:
The only thing extra you have to do is to post in the thread saying you preordered it. It says all the info on the PreOrder Bonus page.

Really? I didn't post in the FM.net thread and still got the confirmation message in FM3.

Speaking of which, they really need to get around to sending out those Spirit Rs.

fozzy

Spaceman Spiff said:
Really? I didn't post in the FM.net thread and still got the confirmation message in FM3.

Speaking of which, they really need to get around to sending out those Spirit Rs.

Same for me

Top Bottom