• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 4 - The Floodgates Have Opened...

Forza-Motorsport-4-2012-BMW-M5.jpg

6048908648_89fe9fb872_z.jpg

Daytime driving lights?

Mascot

soundscream said:
Daytime driving lights?
The daytime running lights on that car are rings. The ones that look illuminated are the xenons I think. Also, no evidence of illuminated tail lights (apart from brake lights) at dusk in that video.

I guess it's nothing more than a trick of the light. Unfortunately!

Mohonky

Mascot said:
Fuck! Hockenshite!

We've known it was coming since April 1st, but even so - it's like a kick in the nuts to think they picked this track over other far more deserving circuits. It's flat, it's boring to drive, it's aesthetically impotent... Jesus, it really does have no redeeming features at all.

That's the April leak 'five new locales' confirmed then. Our only hope for Spa or Bathurst is for an unlubricated wallet-rape via DLC, and even then we might not be able to play them in career mode (unless they work some car DLC-like integration magic).

Why, Turn 10? What influenced this choice?

Need coffee.

Edit: no headlights/sidelights at dusk/dawn. No possibility whatsoever of night racing confirmed.

I'm kind of in the same boat. Turn 10 pick absolutely horrible tracks, I don't know what their hard on for tracks lacking elevation is but they seem to pick a lot of tracks that are both aesthetically and technically boring.

I couldn't stand Sebring in FM3, it's would absolutely bore me stupid. Tracks with zero elevation just are not exciting to drive.

I have always enjoyed the physics and career modes of Forza games but god Turn 10's track selection is boring.

Also visually the game still has something off about the lighting and cars look 'chunky' some how. Dunno what it is but something never seems quite right.

Mascot

pmj said:
How? I had to set ABS to 85 on the wheel itself to get any vibration, and that is a function entirely separate from the game.
Yep, ABS or wheel lock happens at 85% brake pressure by default in FM3, so with that setting the vibration should activate at the correct moment. That's my understanding, anyway.

Mascot said:
The daytime running lights on that car are rings. The ones that look illuminated are the xenons I think. Also, no evidence of illuminated tail lights (apart from brake lights) at dusk in that video.

I guess it's nothing more than a trick of the light. Unfortunately!
Gotcha.

So were going to have to wait on sites reporting news since there is no MS conference, or will they put something up on the sight?

Cause if the track is the only news....

fuuuuuuuuuu.jpg

eso76

Mohonky said:
Also visually the game still has something off about the lighting and cars look 'chunky' some how. Dunno what it is but something never seems quite right.

just lacking a little fill light, but to me the replay looks absolutely spectacular, very realistic and up to that other game quality.
I guess we won't be getting that high lod model anywhere except single player things though.

Btw, in the leaked trailer, wasn't the weather cloudy in Hockenheim ? hint hint

Grassy

The Hockenheim track looks a bit sterile unfortunately, I really hope there are another 4-5 new tracks otherwise World Tour mode is going to get stale pretty quickly. Not only will we be replaying the same tracks from Forza 3, but GT5 has some of the same real-world tracks too(Nurburgring, Suzuka, Le Mans, Laguna Seca, Top Gear TT, Tsukuba) so anyone who owns both games will have played these tracks to death in the last few years.

Not sure if this is new or not but did anyone else notice in the Hockenheim video the AlpineStars driving gloves? I guess we can customize our drivers a bit, already confirmed I guess?

Mascot

eso76 said:
Btw, in the leaked trailer, wasn't the weather cloudy in Hockenheim ? hint hint
Yeah, I spotted that too. Got me quite excited.

If IBL is the Jesus Dust that everyone claims then I'm really hoping for a plethora of sky boxes on all the circuits. Should be easy, right?

G Rom

Yeah, we've already seen Alpinstar, Arai and HANS in the game, Grassy. No ugly generic FM generic outfit anymore.

One thing I immediately noticed in the video was that the replay angles were so much better than in FM3. I hope all tracks are like this.

dejay

Banned
Hockenheim?

Sorry, but fuck that. I was looking for some compelling real world racetracks - something with character, with attitude. As much as I love some of the new stuff in the game, if there's nothing new there to grab my nuts then sadly I think I'm gonna pass.

Mascot

dejay said:
Hockenheim?

Sorry, but fuck that. I was looking for some compelling real world racetracks - something with character, with attitude. As much as I love some of the new stuff in the game, if there's nothing new there to grab my nuts then sadly I think I'm gonna pass.
Still a day one buy for me, even based on what's only been confirmed until now. I just hope my joy won't be tempered too much by poor track selection or over-emphasis on muscle cars/drag/drift/TG gimmicks, or by silly little design decisions (eg FM3 menu stupidity).

Still hoping for bombshells, though. Still waiting to be blown away.

shinnn

eek5 said:
How can so many of you be upset even though we've known this was coming since April? Lol..
It's Forza. People will always try to make it worse than it is!

Awesome trailer! fucking awesome.

G Rom

Mascot said:
Still a day one buy for me, even based on what's only been confirmed until now. I just hope my joy won't be tempered too much by poor track selection or over-emphasis on muscle cars/drag/drift/TG gimmicks, or by silly little design decisions (eg FM3 menu stupidity).

Still hoping for bombshells, though. Still waiting to be blown away.

Could you elaborate on this ? I'm curious to know what were your grips with FM3's menus. Aside from a few shortcuts that I would have liked them to add, they were perfect IMO, very fast with no loadings and very efficient.

Anyway, I don't get this sudden "hate" either. We've known since April that Hockenheim was possibly in the game and BADNED confirmed it several weeks ago. Passing on a game only because it features this track over better ones is silly IMO, it's like seeing the tiny empty bit of the nearly full glass.

G Rom said:
Could you elaborate on this ? I'm curious to know what were your grips with FM3's menus. Aside from a few shortcuts that I would have liked them to add, they were perfect IMO, very fast with no loadings and very efficient.

Not the menus exactly, but the how it starts off every session by 'saving'. So annoying. And if you're playing split-screen it's even worse.

supersaw

Metalmurphy said:
They don't.

AutoClubRevolution has Spa in their current beta. Looks stunning as well.

As does iRacing, AutoClubRevolution looks interesting their website is a bit cryptic though is that aiming to be something like Forza / GT for PC?

supersaw said:
As does iRacing, AutoClubRevolution looks interesting their website is a bit cryptic though is that aiming to be something like Forza / GT for PC?
As do many others infact, I only mentioned AutoClubRevolution because it's a new game (that's not even out yet) in case they had made a new deal.

G Rom

Speaking of which, I got my key for AutoClubRevolution last week or the week before but I'm still not at home so I can't test it yet. :)

I agree on that one CrudeDiatribe, I can't believe it passed QA. Saving each time you launch the game looks so dumb, just putting "loading" instead would be better.

Mascot

G Rom said:
The menus were generally elegant to look at and very responsive, but there was some frustratingly crazy logic (or lack thereof) applied in places. For example, you could be balls-deep in a storefront search and needing to amend your parameters slightly, but pressing 'back' drops you right back to the root directory, forcing a start from scratch. That type of thing was incredibly annoying.

In general though, a big improvement over FM2. Just batshit crazy in places.

Snubbers

Mascot said:
Yep, ABS or wheel lock happens at 85% brake pressure by default in FM3, so with that setting the vibration should activate at the correct moment. That's my understanding, anyway.

I don't think it's that simple, the ABS setting on the wheel depends on your sensitivity potentiometer setting on the load cell as well.. it is totally disjoint IMO..

And I think car setup/brake pressure etc all affect the locking point, when hotlapping more seriously, I tend to set the ABS point by using the telemetry overlay, work out how much brake input is required just before lock (I'ts closer to 95% IIRC), then statically press the brake pedal until I get the same amount whilst adjusting the abs to start rumbling.. in some cases I have to adjust the potentiometer on the load cell to make that point more easily repeatable.. I guess it's personal how much before actual lock you want the vibration warning, if you set it so that it only rumbles when locked, you'd be defeating the purpose of it all.. (It's main use is for non-ABS braking and having a reference point)

I do rarely touch the settings once I've done it though, I can' t be bothered to change it every time, so accept a kind of generic setup.

So if T10 could access the brake pedal motor directly, I'd really appreciate it!

Jamesways

RukusProvider said:
It's like they don't listen to the fanbase at all and just do their own thing.

"What tracks do you wanna see in the next game guys!?"

"Spa! Bathurst! BrandsHatch!"

"Well we heard all your requests so HEEERE"SSSS ANOTHER FICTIONAL MOUNTAIN ENVIRONMENT NOBODY WANTED!"

"....."

Fixed.

"Didn't you guys already do that for fm3, for like 3 environments?"

"Oh yeah, but this one has more snow though".

No new ALMS tracks, no listening to what fans want for other real world tracks, no putting back in fm1 tracks (I'm hoping I enjoy the Alps more than Blue Mountains to at least justify it).

Come on DLC tracks I guess.

But hey, at least they do listen to some fans, more missle muscle cars, more 80s shiteboxes, and more novelty cars and modes.

On the bright side, the cockpits are looking fantastic and so is the lighting for different times of the day. Praying for some track texture this time around, the glass-smooth tracks of the last 3 games need some upgradin'.

Mascot

Snubbers said:
I don't think it's that simple, the ABS setting on the wheel depends on your sensitivity potentiometer setting on the load cell as well.. it is totally disjoint IMO..

And I think car setup/brake pressure etc all affect the locking point, when hotlapping more seriously, I tend to set the ABS point by using the telemetry overlay, work out how much brake input is required just before lock (I'ts closer to 95% IIRC), then statically press the brake pedal until I get the same amount whilst adjusting the abs to start rumbling.. in some cases I have to adjust the potentiometer on the load cell to make that point more easily repeatable.. I guess it's personal how much before actual lock you want the vibration warning, if you set it so that it only rumbles when locked, you'd be defeating the purpose of it all.. (It's main use is for non-ABS braking and having a reference point)

I do rarely touch the settings once I've done it though, I can' t be bothered to change it every time, so accept a kind of generic setup.

So if T10 could access the brake pedal motor directly, I'd really appreciate it!
Damn it, I was quite happy in my ignorance..! I'm gonna be analysing the fuck out of my brake settings now! :lol

eso76

btw we need this sort of tracks with no elevation changes too, otherwise people will bitch about not having any suitable roads for R1 cars.

A lot of people will complain about whatever track in forza, but every track is there for a reason. Now, i wish we could still get classic hockenheim.

(pics are gorgeous, taking pics in fm4 should be glorious...assuming they don't get jpraped)

also, from the footage: swaying trees and grass everywhere in this bitch !

mascot said:
If IBL is the Jesus Dust that everyone claims then I'm really hoping for a plethora of sky boxes on all the circuits. Should be easy, right?

i am not sure, i don't know how lighting on track is generated. Maybe we can't have such dramatic changes (eg, shadows won't move ?) but Hockenheim was definitely cloudy in the leaked trailer, so unless they scrapped that for release we might get at least that kind of change in weather.

Sunny/Cloudy skybox DLC's confirmed !

adelante

Come to think of it...the lack of elevation and the relatively sparse environment in Hockenheim is gonna make for some awesomely wonderful unobstructed vista shots

eek5

The thing that bums me out is the fact that they probably aren't going back and giving old tracks this treatment. I really hope they're working on some other tracks for us..

I do love how turn10 added in some nice contrasts this time around, helps the grass and gravel pop out.
25qskyg.jpg

Calling it now, the inside part of that grass will be sticky and slow down the car in an unrealistic manner :( just make the car spin out !

also damn son we best get export quality like this, I MEAN IT!!!

Xun

U n i o n 0015 said:
Of all the tracks you could pick...Hockenheim? Boring. I actually would've preferred another fictional track over it.
Meh it'll be fine.

If it were the old Hockenheim though that would've been a megaton.

Thanks for the info about the CSP's, those will be mine in about a month, just in time to install for F4.

As for the track, I'm fine with it, after playing F3, then GT5, now back to F3 I do see a lot of repeats with the tracks but it also makes me a better driver.

I just hope that with DLC tracks they are put into the career mode ... if they aren't I really can't see myself purchasing any of them.

flyinpiranha said:
Thanks for the info about the CSP's, those will be mine in about a month, just in time to install for F4.

As for the track, I'm fine with it, after playing F3, then GT5, now back to F3 I do see a lot of repeats with the tracks but it also makes me a better driver.

I just hope that with DLC tracks they are put into the career mode ... if they aren't I really can't see myself purchasing any of them.
I hope also that car packs give you some "arcade" mode things to do, forza 2 did it right with it's car packs adding in new arcade time attacks and races, was more then just "more cars to add to the game, that's it lol"

Hey guys, how are you doing today? Did Microsoft meet your expectations? :lol

U n i o n 0015 said:
Of all the tracks you could pick...Hockenheim? Boring. I actually would've preferred another fictional track over it.
Well, they are in Germany, so it makes sense, doesn't it?

Mascot

Diablohead said:
I hope also that car packs give you some "arcade" mode things to do, forza 2 did it right with it's car packs adding in new arcade time attacks and races, was more then just "more cars to add to the game, that's it lol"
Constantly updated online tournaments, TTs and events are also needed. Think GT5's Seasonal Events, but better.

Top Bottom