• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

Xanadu

Banned
Yeah, even PGR4 which was released only two years after PGR3 was in another league compared to its predecessor.

I had done this comparison back in the FM4 days, when the PEP had just been released :

lets be honest photomode isnt a good comparison but yes it was a nice improvement

saladine1

Man, I think I'm going nuts here. What's going on with the brake bias?
I'm putting more rear brake yet the front becomes tight. If I put more front brake the rear becomes loose!

There's an error here, Turn 10, that needs to be rectified.

whats the general to do as far as assists and drivatar diff goes.

so far i put brakes to ABS and steering to simulation and the game felt amazingly more in depth and responsive.

For assists, slower cars will drive just fine with only ABS on, more powerful cars will be twitchy unless you turn on Traction Control/Stability Management (TCS/STM)

another question, are these games good enough with teh controller or does the racing wheel stuff make it that much better. will the trigger rumble stuff be in a racing wheel some how? do they have one out for this game yet?

A proper wheel makes it much better, since Force Feedback means that instead of trigger rumble, you get whole wheel rumble. Also, you have better, finer control, which is essential for getting those tenths of a second. Also also, it's a lot of fun.

Bad news: Xbone wheels are expensive with a capital E.

p3tran

Banned
because forza 4 used higher poly models in photomode and 2 didnt

you have a (bad) habit of picking anything forza and taking it to extreme nitpick levels.

difference in graphics between forza 2 and forza 4, IN-GAME, is nothing sort of night and day.

period

Klocker

Holy crap.... Between the gift LaFerrari, VIP E21, 5(soon to be 6) million credits and a few tokens
with a half price sale.... I went nuts and have practically every car I could want until dlc comes... My god

spent all day buying painting tuning racing...

oh and also. Aston drb9 007 is insanely intense. Sounds like a hornets nest and it flies while being planted to the ground

So i just checked my forza rewards page and i was surprised to see i got 3 million credits.
Then i proceeded to buy the Lotus E21 car, dat grind :)

Krilekk

Banned
Turn 10 is doing some nice stuff lately. I feel like my 74 € Limited Edition gave me real value now that I got a free Lotus F1 plus a couple of free cars thanks to the 1250 tokens that come with it. Double player progression bonus money is worth a lot as well, 30 levels x 16.000 CR = half a million more to spend on cars for 50 % off. Add 4 million from Forza Rewards (soon 5) and it reduces any potential grinding by 45 hours. And gives me access to the fastest car in almost every career category. In fact I was so happy with their decisions lately I bought the car pass and another 1250 tokens (for double profit thanks to Forza Rewards and 50 % off deal).

I've been playing Forza since the first one but this is the first game from the main series that really makes me do that one more race. I think the comparisons to previous games in terms of content are stupid. They could've taken the easy route and just include cars from older games like GT did - but they didn't cheapen out and the game feels so much better because of it. Yes, the day 1 DLC was just as stupid. That should've been free, at least for the first two weeks after launch. But there is definitely enough content to keep you going for dozens of hours and not many games can say that about themselfs.

Personally I'm glad that the Ring is gone for now. I absolutely hate it by now, especially for time trial. Make a mistake in the first corner and you have to drive the other 7 minutes just to try again. I'd rather have new tracks like Yas Marina than updated old ones.

Seanspeed

Banned
another question, are these games good enough with teh controller or does the racing wheel stuff make it that much better. will the trigger rumble stuff be in a racing wheel some how? do they have one out for this game yet?
Don't let the wheel purists fool you. Forza is sublime with a controller.

Mascot

There's something very odd going on in Forzaland right now. People are tripping over each each other to offer praise and thanks for being allowed to use cars in a game that they own. It's kind of like the affection you'd feel towards a mugger when you realise he's only going to take you wallet and watch, and not actually kill you.

I can't work out whether it's incredibly clever marketing or incredibly depressing social commentary..!

(I'm joking. Kind of)

p3tran

Banned
Personally I'm glad that the Ring is gone for now. I absolutely hate it by now, especially for time trial. Make a mistake in the first corner and you have to drive the other 7 minutes just to try again. I'd rather have new tracks like Yas Marina than updated old ones.
JANUARY.. Nordschleife ...laser scanned.. and nurburgring F1 TRACK..laser scanned..

someone put me in a cryo chamber!!!

They should have stuck to the original plan, I don't like that they bend to shit like this from outsiders and ignore fan's pleas for a more authentic racing game.

p3tran

Banned
wait, did I miss something? Was this actually announced or is it just wishful thinking?

it was kind of announced, on that 7-page advertorial ms/t10 did on EVO magazine,
and for your ease, I quote:
But it won't stop there. Connect the Xbox
One to the internet and you'll also be able get
all the very latest content - further new tracks
and new cars- as soon as it's available.
And in January, that will include arguably
the most challenging circuit on the planet -
the Niirburgring Nordschleife
. Well known to
evo readers, the 'Ring has become the ultimate
performance benchmark, a lap time the supreme
arbiter of a supercar's talents.
From January, you'll be able to compare
your times with the test drivers from McLaren,

p3tran

Banned
The same article that mentioned 24 players online, so I wouldn't get my hopes too high...

I can understand how 24 players did not fit in the target performance envelope, but I fail to understand how a laser scanned track will suffer the same faith.

IN FACT, I'd put some money thats its coming out ;)

It really is going to be gross if they try and sell DLC tracks for this game, considering how few it shipped with. They should at least offer a single track or two as free DLC.

They should have stuck to the original plan, I don't like that they bend to shit like this from outsiders and ignore fan's pleas for a more authentic racing game.

What are you referring to?

Phreaker

I was just watching a Twitch stream of a guy that finished single player (gold in all races). These were some of his stats:

Time Driven 63 h 03:16
Miles Driven 5,690 miles
Credits Earned 6,645,478 CR
Driver Level: 267
(He didn't pay any real money to buy cars, at the end he only had about 450,000 credits)

Revson

A proper wheel makes it much better, since Force Feedback means that instead of trigger rumble, you get whole wheel rumble. Also, you have better, finer control, which is essential for getting those tenths of a second. Also also, it's a lot of fun.

Using a wheel does not give you an advantage in Forza, laptime-wise. It all comes down to player skill. The only tracks where using a wheel gave you a slight advantage, Maple Valley and Mugello, are no longer in the game.

The majority of the best players in the world use the controller, so it's all about what you're comfortable with. Get a wheel for the experience, and it may make you better as you will have to focus more, but don't expect to be automatically faster.

It really is going to be gross if they try and sell DLC tracks for this game, considering how few it shipped wit

we bought a game with 14 environments. we knew the figure when we handed the money over, just as we did for the 12 environments of fm2. if work on new tracks continued following the launch then I don't have a problem with them being paid DLC. If they were held back that's a different issue.

I was just watching a Twitch stream of a guy that finished single player (gold in all races). These were some of his stats:

Time Driven 63 h 03:16
Miles Driven 5,690 miles
Credits Earned 6,645,478 CR
Driver Level: 267
(He didn't pay any real money to buy cars, at the end he only had about 450,000 credits)

Wow, that is pretty crazy dedication right there.

we bought a game with 14 environments. we knew the figure when we handed the money over, just as we did for the 12 environments of fm2. if work on new tracks continued following the launch then I don't have a problem with them being paid DLC. If they were held back that's a different issue.

Comparing a game from 2013 to a game that came out in 2007 say it all.

Also, I didn't complain about the $60 game I bought. I knew what I was getting for my $60 and I don't regret buying it. I complained about them trying to sell us tracks that were in the last $60 game they were selling a couple years ago. If they wanted to create good will with their customers it would be wise to throw people a bone and at least make that first DLC track free.

saladine1

Anyone else getting sick of the 2-3 lap races?

You know, I just don't understand the thinking behind these short races. How does including some endurance stints hamper the game's playability?

Mr.Greenawalt, just answer this: Why are you so against longer races in SP?
Don't you think that chasing 16 cars down from the back of the grid in 2 laps is a little unfair?
For goodness sake, patch in some longer races. It doesn't have to be 20-30 lap stuff but c'mon, at LEAST 5-10 lap races...c'mon dude....!!

Duuuuuuudddde!!!!!

You know, I just don't understand the thinking behind these short races. How does including some endurance stints hamper the game's playability?

Don't you think that chasing 16 cars down from the back of the grid in 2 laps is a little unfair?
For goodness sake, patch in some longer races. It doesn't have to be 20-30 lap stuff but c'mon, at LEAST 5-10 lap races...c'mon dude....!!

Duuuuuuudddde!!!!!

Didn't Forza 4 have some 5 lap races? Even some 8 lap races in the later events? I thought it did.

Regardless, I think it would be cool if the game gave you the choice early on and asked "do you wish to have true endurance races?". That would be nice to give people the option.

Duuuuuuudddde!!!!!

It really encourages shitty driving
(not that it really matters for me. I'm a shitty driver anyway, though not on purpose)
. Such a shame for career mode.

Phreaker

Ryse livery is up (threw it on the camaro for now)

Nice, thanks!!

iAhmcuKIZ2y40.jpg

ccharla

Don't let the wheel purists fool you. Forza is sublime with a controller.

I've always been a controller guy, but this morning I jumped on super quick before work to spend my 3M credits on an Indycar, and did one race at Indy, and I have to say, I think I need a wheel to be able to go flat-out at Indy in the DW-12...

sCHOCOLATE

Duuuuuuudddde!!!!!
There's probably a technical rationale linked to the Drivatar powered A.I.

m23

Duuuuuuudddde!!!!!

These 2-3 lap races are a joke. I think even Forza 4 had the same problem although probably not to the same extent. I'm still early in the career mode though so hopefully the longer races will be coming shortly, I really enjoyed some of those longer races back in Forza 3.

Lima

No mate. The longest race in the career is 5 laps on one of the shorter variants.

If we go by time, the longest race is two laps on full Le Mans.

G Rom

Duuuuuuudddde!!!!!

No because I almost exclusively race in free mode now. There I can do longer races very easily and still get XP and money (even faster than career due to longer races).

m23

No mate. The longest race in the career is 5 laps on one of the shorter variants.

That is terrible, what were they thinking? I love the driving in this game, yet the races don't even last very long.

Krilekk

Banned

Duuuuuuudddde!!!!!

Yeah, that's about the most annoying thing about career mode. It totally destroys everything they tried to achieve with Drivatars because you still race to third place within the first lap and then just stay there. If you drive clean you have no chance to actually win a race in a lot of cases because by the time you're third the first and second are far gone.

They should make it optional how many laps you want in any single event. And they should finally offer some sort of rudimentary optional qualifying (1 lap time trial), it just sucks to start from the back of the pack. Especially when even at Drivatars at Pro and Expert most of your opponents behave like brain dead rowdies. Breaking in the middle of turns where there is no need to do so, leading to constant crashes. The game would probably be unplayable without rewind. The first turns are a constant nightmare, not because everybody is so good but because they are so unpredictably bad.

Yeah, that's about the most annoying thing about career mode. It totally destroys everything they tried to achieve with Drivatars because you still race to third place within the first lap and then just stay there. If you drive clean you have no chance to actually win a race in a lot of cases because by the time you're third the first and second are far gone.

They should make it optional how many laps you want in any single event. And they should finally offer some sort of rudimentary optional qualifying (1 lap time trial), it just sucks to start from the back of the pack. Especially when even at Drivatars at Pro and Expert most of your opponents behave like brain dead rowdies. Breaking in the middle of turns where there is no need to do so, leading to constant crashes. The game would probably be unplayable without rewind. The first turns are a constant nightmare, not because everybody is so good but because they are so unpredictably bad.

There is some truth in this post.

Seanspeed

Banned

You've gotta be joking.

Welp, more reason for you guys to go and race online!

Wait, they got rid of user-created public lobbies, too.

Nevermind. Have fun hotlapping.

p3tran

Banned
Free play mode works for me.
pick my car, my track, pick opponents, my no. of laps.

also,

do you want to earn 200k in every 12mins? pro tip: its a 20 lap race :)

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
If I upgrade to VIP now will I still get the free car? Also is it worth it for those who have it? The main reason I want it is for the Cobra since it's my favorite car but that's not enough by itself.

Free play mode works for me.
pick my car, my track, pick opponents, my no. of laps.

also,

do you want to earn 200k in every 12mins? pro tip: its a 20 lap race :)

The great thing about Freeplay is T10 made a great choice by not limiting events within performance classes unless you wanted to. So the AI cars will have a similar PI to you even if that means being in a different class slightly above or below you.

The longest race in the career is 5 laps on one of the shorter variants.

Does Turn 10 just love dirty racing? Is there something in that engine of theirs that puts a hard cap on race time? Too much data for the replays? Something?

Xanadu

Banned
you have a (bad) habit of picking anything forza and taking it to extreme nitpick levels.

difference in graphics between forza 2 and forza 4, IN-GAME, is nothing sort of night and day.

period

its not as big as you say sorry

There's something very odd going on in Forzaland right now. People are tripping over each each other to offer praise and thanks for being allowed to use cars in a game that they own. It's kind of like the affection you'd feel towards a mugger when you realise he's only going to take you wallet and watch, and not actually kill you.

I can't work out whether it's incredibly clever marketing or incredibly depressing social commentary..!

(I'm joking. Kind of)

their plan worked perfectly

G Rom

The great thing about Freeplay is T10 made a great choice by not limiting events within performance classes unless you wanted to. So the AI cars will have a similar PI to you even if that means being in a different class slightly above or below you.

Yeah, best thing about it by far. I can finally take any car, stock or upgraded, and the game will match the opponents instead of putting them at the top of a class. I enjoy those races much more even if I don't always end up in the top 3 because I simply have way more fun that way.

Just taking my newly bought stock Black Series in Prague was so good, the car is so playful !
mobile.137sof03.jpg

RotBot

I wish you could adjust downloaded setups. I prefer to reduce the brake pressure so it's easier to prevent lockups without ABS, but I have to manually do all my upgrades and tuning to have access to that.

Top Bottom