• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

Aptos

Using a wheel does not give you an advantage in Forza, laptime-wise. It all comes down to player skill. The only tracks where using a wheel gave you a slight advantage, Maple Valley and Mugello, are no longer in the game.

The majority of the best players in the world use the controller, so it's all about what you're comfortable with. Get a wheel for the experience, and it may make you better as you will have to focus more, but don't expect to be automatically faster.

This. So much this.

My Thrustmaster came this weekend (never would have thought switching my order to Gamestop from Amazon would be a good thing...) and I'm definitely way worse off the bat. Switching between gas and brake is much harder with your feet than with your fingers, and the trigger rumble you get with the controller gives you a great sense of where the threshold of traction is while braking and accelerating. I expect I'll learn to get better here, but on first blush, the wheel is worse here.

Also, the force feedback is set to max by default and that seemed like way too much: it was really hard to keep the force feedback from affecting my driving line. Dialing that down to like 25 helped a lot. I expect I'll need to tweak more of the advanced controller settings before I'm happy with the wheel.

Nista

FUCK YOUR FUCKING DRIVATAR
YOU GODDAMN WOOD PIECE OF SHIT

My decision to cover all my fancy cars purchased this weekend with wood paneling paint jobs with team "WOOD" emblazoned on them is all too fitting for these epic drivatar battles.

I'm afraid that through going through the career mode, I've passed the point of no return from retaliating against the AI drivers on Turn 1. Ah well.

I need to try some of your guys' tunes, that stuff is really buried in the menus.

Aptos

Is the mini leaderboard it displays after the race accessible anywhere else? I'd like to find where my friends are beating me without having to race first.

On a related note: are those mini leaderboards per car-class, or per league?

sub_mart

Neo Member
Is the mini leaderboard it displays after the race accessible anywhere else? I'd like to find where my friends are beating me without having to race first.

On a related note: are those mini leaderboards per car-class, or per league?

Through Rivals mode.

I thought that when in there you can press X or sth to switch between Top, NearMe and Friends. Only tried it once in fm5 so not 100% sure.

Aptos

Through Rivals mode.

I thought that when in there you can press X or sth to switch between Top, NearMe and Friends. Only tried it once in fm5 so not 100% sure.

Thanks, you can press X to switch over to a friends-only leaderboard. Are the correct leaderboards to look at (the ones with the same data as the after-race mini leaderboards) the Time Attack ones that are per-class?

p3tran

Banned
Yes, unfortunately everything is per class only.

my biggest and constant annoyance.

i want not only per class boards, but per career event too, for the "story mode" (older forza's had separate best lap AND total race time leaderboards on career events. and having a CLEAN time for your entire race, well, that was something I really like competing )
and more importantly I want per car/class leaderboards!
do you think that the guy who digs muscle cars gives a shit that s2k can dominate top 500 spots in bathurst? NOPE!! what he gives a shit, is to see how his stingray competes with same class stingrays..

I though we where gonna get them detailed leaderboards, all hail the cloud shit and all... but apparently no. not yet.

SO MUCH wasted potential there...

Klocker

As much as I love this game and the new driving model and the open career and the credits for free play.... the biggest thing they disappointed me with is NO improvement in leaderboards or details... I want per car details and leaderboards for each track/car

Was really expecting expansion here. Maybe f6. :(

oVerde

Banned
What does The exclamation mark means?
IP5zMzA.jpg

p3tran

Banned
As much as I love this game and the new driving model and the open career and the credits for free play.... the biggest thing they disappointed me with is NO improvement in leaderboards or details... I want per car details and leaderboards for each track/car

Was really expecting expansion here. Maybe f6. :(

I really want to hope that this they can add on forza 5

its clear by them changing the car prices on everybody's game on the fly for the weekend,
that they do have some dynamic control on the way game works.

adding the proper leaderboards (both for career events AND their restrictions) and
per car/per class leaderboards would surely make all forza players cheer!!

BADNED!!

@overde: it means that the lap was not "clean".

Timu

Ok I just got this game, and now it's installing. When I installed the game it asked for a 6GB patch so I installed that. It was at 83% and now on 84% for several minutes now, is it suppose to be this long?

p3tran

Banned
Ok I just got this game, and now it's installing. When I installed the game it asked for a 6GB patch so I installed that. It was at 83% and now on 84% for several minutes now, is it suppose to be this long?

yes, just wait it out. you are almost there 8)

What does The exclamation mark means?
IP5zMzA.jpg

Invalid lap. Happens if you bump into someone or if you go off the track/cut a corner somewhere.

Also, I finally finished listening to last weeks bombcast.. man... sounds like Gerstmann felt like he got burned by FM5 or something. Anyone have thoughts on what he said?

ZQQLANDER

Been hot lapping Sebring Full-circuit (B Class) and man this game is addicting. I'm at 2:25.xxx. Bought the Ford GT50, but it took me a dozen laps to get used to it. Hopefully I can lay down some quick times tomorrow.

"Tunes by Worm" is the way to go btw.

Hawk269

Any idea on what is happening with this situation?

I go to free play and use Indy Car (Andretti DHL) one. I set it to Indy track oval, I set the number of AI to 15, put the difficulty to the highest possible and after 4 laps I am half a track ahead of 2nd place. I had it set to an 8 lap race and almost am able to lap the last place car. I have it set to use the "X" class cars and I can see that almost half the field is using the same car as I am, so why is it that there is zero challenge at all even at the highest difficulty level?

I play the single player game on average and find it a challenge, rarely coming in 1st place, so not sure what is going in free play and using the highest difficulty setting.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Any idea on what is happening with this situation?

I go to free play and use Indy Car (Andretti DHL) one. I set it to Indy track oval, I set the number of AI to 15, put the difficulty to the highest possible and after 4 laps I am half a track ahead of 2nd place. I had it set to an 8 lap race and almost am able to lap the last place car. I have it set to use the "X" class cars and I can see that almost half the field is using the same car as I am, so why is it that there is zero challenge at all even at the highest difficulty level?

I play the single player game on average and find it a challenge, rarely coming in 1st place, so not sure what is going in free play and using the highest difficulty setting.

sounds like a good way to grind. also, boring as fuck.

what i think is happening is the AI is still pretty shit at taking high speed corners. in career races i can smoke the AI on courses with lots of high speed turns, like prague or the alps. i'd imagine that a high speed oval would give them fits.

AI difficulty usually shows itself up in braking and cornering speed.

When racing on an oval you'd find it hard to catch the leaders over a few laps unless drafting was exaggerated, I guess they dialed AI speed down to give you a chance.

I am. You can't sell cars in this game.

Edit. It just removes the car from your garage but doesn't give you anything for it.

What was their justification for that?

It immediately strikes me as another attempt to limit your ability to get money in game.

Klocker

What was their justification for that?

It immediately strikes me as another attempt to limit your ability to get money in game.

Yea. I found that out last week and was shocked

Removing auction house was one thing as it ruined the game's economy for me. at one point I had every worthy car (and then some) and 50 million credits, but not being able to sell or gift cars or sell back parts?

That has to go back in

saladine1

For the first time, I am keeping the menu music on because it's just so damn good. It's inspiring!

I know I keep parroting this but I can't get over the audio.

I'm not a Supra man myself but fuck me did my ears get a work out last night. This thing in hood view especially, sounds menacing after some exhaust,cam and turbo upgrades. The mix of engine and exhaust notes, coupled with the ferocious spool and BOV sent shivers down my spine. With a racing gearbox, the down shifts are fucking aggressive and the constant explosive backfires and subsequent overrun and exhaust rumble sent the senses into overdrive. Add in some bone chilling reverb as you pass through the streets of Prague and it's game over man, game fucking over!

I don't give a fuck what anyone says, but a great sounding vehicle and it's related effects are half the driving experience.

Also, I've noticed that a production car turned full race modified is simulated so much better than FM4. Taking the aforementioned Supra for example, in FM4, turning that car into a race ready vehicle didn't really make the car behave as good as a dedicated race car. It had all the mods but didn't handle well enough to be called a race car.
However, now in FM5, that same car with the same mods actually feels like a track ready racing monster. The balance, the chassis stiffness, the aero packages, the tires..etc finally makes the car feel and behave like a race car should.

Anyway, enough with my bullshit...

NeoGash

I don't give a fuck what anyone says, but a great sounding vehicle and it's related effects are half the driving experience.
So true :)

I am also of that opinion. To me it would be like playing an FPS where the guns made no sound, or all the guns made the same awful sound. If Forza didn't have such great sound I honestly wouldn't play it half as much as I do. That is not to say it isn't a great game based on its other merits, but I am always excited to turn on my Xbox and hear my Mustang BOSS roar or my Ferrari's destroy my brain with awesomesauce. To me it's like playing 2D mario Vs. 3D world Mario. It cannot be overstated how important sound is in a racing game, which amazes me that reviewers don't praise it nearly enough in that respect.

Also, the sense of speed, ESPECIALLY in Forza 4 and now 5 (from what I have seen of the F1's) is nothing short of legendary. Horizon too.

saladine1

I am also of that opinion. To me it would be like playing an FPS where the guns made no sound, or all the guns made the same awful sound. If Forza didn't have such great sound I honestly wouldn't play it half as much as I do. That is not to say it isn't a great game based on its other merits, but I am always excited to turn on my Xbox and hear my Mustang BOSS roar or my Ferrari's destroy my brain with awesomesauce. To me it's like playing 2D mario Vs. 3D world Mario. It cannot be overstated how important sound is in a racing game, which amazes me that reviewers don't praise it nearly enough in that respect.

Also, the sense of speed, ESPECIALLY in Forza 4 and now 5 (from what I have seen of the F1's) is nothing short of legendary. Horizon too.

True, reviewers don't give nearly the same amount of space to praise/criticism of sound as they do to graphics for example. The only time they do is when the reviewer is a car guy himself, then you might see something mentioned as it was in that IGN review.

The good news on racing audio is that it is now given the courtesy it really deserves from devs whereas in the past, it wasn't really a point of deep concern.
It seems nearly every developer is upping their game with audio. pCars,iRacing,RR,AC,NFS,The Crew, DiRT,GRID and even Driver SF has some great sounding cars and effects. It's so good to see this happening because it means that everyone is trying to outdo everyone else in that department and means that we as gamers get to hear some incredible experiences in these kind of games.

The only developer who seems to be stuck in the last century is PD. It's quite strange to see this given the fact that Kaz himself isn't a stranger to what cars should sound like. He knows exactly how they should be but it seemed that this aspect just wasn't his priority. However, even he knows now, that sound is integral to the experience and after thousands of fans hammering this home to him, he has finally acknowledged that sound needs to be addressed and hopefully, GT7 will be the holy grail sound-wise for PD and Gran Turismo.

Mascot

True, reviewers don't give nearly the same amount of space to praise/criticism of sound as they do to graphics for example. The only time they do is when the reviewer is a car guy himself, then you might see something mentioned as it was in that IGN review.

The good news on racing audio is that it is now given the courtesy it really deserves from devs whereas in the past, it wasn't really a point of deep concern.
It seems nearly every developer is upping their game with audio. pCars,iRacing,RR,AC,NFS,The Crew, DiRT,GRID and even Driver SF has some great sounding cars and effects. It's so good to see this happening because it means that everyone is trying to outdo everyone else in that department and means that we as gamers get to hear some incredible experiences in these kind of games.

The only developer who seems to be stuck in the last century is PD. It's quite strange to see this given the fact that Kaz himself isn't a stranger to what cars should sound like. He knows exactly how they should be but it seemed that this aspect just wasn't his priority. However, even he knows now, that sound is integral to the experience and after thousands of fans hammering this home to him, he has finally acknowledged that sound needs to be addressed and hopefully, GT7 will be the holy grail sound-wise for PD and Gran Turismo.
I thought it was a memory issue with gt on the ps3? That there wasn't enough memory to do the sounds justice or something? Might well be wrong.

NeoGash

Damn smokey in that car though. Otherwise why would the god rays appear in front of the pillar?

It's a video game lol, it doesn't have to make sense.

I love it how gamers have this misconstrued idea of what looks realistic. In real life, brick work can have a washed out, blurry look with age; objects can have jagged edges; not every object casts a dark shadow; and god rays are rarely seen, unless you have some real dusty ass house or morning fog. I do like how gamers point out what isn't 'realistic' looking, as if they had a single f'ing clue.

Just to be clear, this had nothing to do with what you said or Forza 5 directly, I sort of felt like bringing up that subject. I just think it is a funny observation.

You are correct in your observation though. I like how developers have tricked gamers into thinking god rays = more realistic. I do like god rays though, I have always been a sucker for them. Halo 4 and Gears Judgment (as bad as it was) did not disappoint.

EDIT: Do you think the night racing DLC is impossible? Or is technically possible but would require a big ass update?

DAT 720P THO

Not sure if serious?...... Forza 5 is 1080p and so are the pictures on the last page. What are you talking about? Just seems like a random post.

Misinformed? Troll?

Doesn't have to be either-or. There seems to be a recurring correlation between the two.

Edit: Beaten.

I know I keep parroting this but I can't get over the audio.

Anyway, enough with my bullshit...

Don't sell yourself short, sal. Keep fighting the good fight.

While Turn 10 has indeed gotten an awful lot wrong with FM5, amongst all they have gotten so very right, the audio work stands right near the top. Other games may do specific cars and effects better, but none can match the breadth of Forza's audio excellence, from hatchbacks to racecars, as far as I'm concerned. Aside from the improved fidelity of the car samples themselves, my favorite improvements have been those for Doppler effects and, especially, reverb, which adds immensely to conveying the savagery of race-bred machines at full chat.

Not my video, but a C6 ZR1 with an upgraded blower going through the Alps tunnel damn nearly made me shit my pants. If there is any justice in the world, one of the DLC tracks will be a never-ending tunnel loop.

Leonsito

Well, out of nowhere, my gf just bought me Forza 5 yesterday, I played the first event, the driving is the most fun I had (outside Forza Horizon maybe) the drivatar thing makes every race seem like it's against people online lol

I took a look into the microtransations things, I fail to see why all this outrage happened, it seems pretty much the same that Forza Horizon had, and of course doesn't make this game look like a free2play or pay2win title, if you don't press Y it's just the same Forza game as ever....

And I checked and had about 3M credits in Forza Rewards to redeem :D

Top Bottom