• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
has anyone noticed... frame rate drops.... no, maybe... but slight pauses and stutters? occasionally i've seen this occur, mostly on leguna seca and early on when there are many cars on screen and possibly collisions. i just had two such occurrences and remembered to use the "xbox record that" functionality to share. will post that later.

also, goofing off with a friend in multiplayer, i had no idea the airfield test track actually had an entire alternate route through the center of it and all of the hangers! so cool, shame its not featured in single player at all. also, it got me thinking, how difficult would it be to add (in future incarnations) a halo forge style editor? imagine starting with that massive airfield complex and being able to add your own barricades, cones, and signage for different layouts. you could build full on race tracks or even gymkhana style environments quickly and easily.

Klocker

anyone have their new rewards take a day or more to arrive in game after redeeming?
i redeemed last night after midnight when they came up but nothing yet. my last couple arrived within minutes
thx

op_ivy

anyone have their new rewards take a day or more to arrive in game after redeeming?
thx

i redeemed my january rewards almost 12 hours ago with nothing in game yet. i wouldnt worry though, they'll show eventually

has anyone noticed... frame rate drops.... no, maybe... but slight pauses and stutters? occasionally i've seen this occur, mostly on leguna seca and early on when there are many cars on screen and possibly collisions. i just had two such occurrences and remembered to use the "xbox record that" functionality to share. will post that later.

Yeah I've seen it lapping Road Atlanta.

Muerte_X

Forza rewards are up. Tier 6 gave me 1.5M credits. Nothing like the 6M from December but still plenty of cash. I'll use it to buy something for the league races. Speaking of which.

league_week1aay03.png

Going with Crude's suggestion of '60s GT cars at Le Mans and Spa.
10 laps each.
Cars must be no higher than B600
Cars must have roll cages. For the safety of the drivatar.
Start time on the 5th will be 2pm EST.
Let me know if you can make it or if the time is no good. I have some wiggle room with the time of day.
Also let me know if I'm missing anything here as far as restrictions go.

Sounds good! Time works fine for me too. Just to clarify, are we doing the new LeMans track? I vote for that one as well.

zorbsie

Will be there! Here's the list of eligible cars (as far as I know):

1960 Chevrolet Corvette
1961 Jaguar E-Type S1
1962 Ferrari 250 GTO
1964 Aston Martin DB5
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA Stradale (??? Maybe?)
1965 Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupé
1965 Shelby Cobra 427 S/CV
1967 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 427
1967 Lamborghini Miura P400

The Ford GT40 competed as a prototype at Le Mans, so I don't know if it should be included or not.

Are we doing Le Mans full or old?

Thanks for putting this list together. And I'd agree with you, even though I love the car the GT40 shouldn't qualify for these races.

0:02:43.838 in the '67 Vette apparently. I see Saladine is just behind me in a GTO (or maybe I just beat him, can't remember).

I'm in serious trouble if that's your time. My best so far in my Shelby Daytona is 2:47. Still have time to mess with it though.

saladine1

Most races in the IndyCar series take place on road/circuits. Of the 18 events on the 2014 schedule only six take place on ovals.

Strange.

It seems the steering ratio is very tight like it was built for minimal input (oval racing). I had to change a lot of settings to get it handling right on most tracks.

p3tran

Banned
Happy new year everybody!!

league_week1aay03.png

Going with Crude's suggestion of '60s GT cars at Le Mans and Spa.
10 laps each.
Cars must be no higher than B600
Cars must have roll cages. For the safety of the drivatar.
Start time on the 5th will be 2pm EST.
Let me know if you can make it or if the time is no good. I have some wiggle room with the time of day.
Also let me know if I'm missing anything here as far as restrictions go.
very nice 8)
about time etc, i think it will work

Will be there! Here's the list of eligible cars (as far as I know):

1960 Chevrolet Corvette
1961 Jaguar E-Type S1
1962 Ferrari 250 GTO
1964 Aston Martin DB5
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA Stradale (??? Maybe?)
1965 Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupé
1965 Shelby Cobra 427 S/CV
1967 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 427
1967 Lamborghini Miura P400

The Ford GT40 competed as a prototype at Le Mans, so I don't know if it should be included or not.
nice list 8)
we should do a ford gt40-only race on old lemans :)

0:02:43.838 in the '67 Vette apparently. I see Saladine is just behind me in a GTO (or maybe I just beat him, can't remember).
I'm in serious trouble if that's your time. My best so far in my Shelby Daytona is 2:47. Still have time to mess with it though.

I picked the expensive 250 gto out of the list, because eventhough I have bought it, I have not even driven it yet.
so, in my (work in progress) test tune I did 2:38.3, which is pretty much a top 200 time.
if I tweak the car more, it can go even better because right now it has much more grip than needed.
if you guys want, I can upload the tune for testing

Just run into an annoying bug/problem.

I had fired up the game and was checking messages such as Drivatar rewards. I saw that my 1.5 million Forza Rewards message had arrived. So I pressed the controller button to redeem and got an error message that the server was unavailable - perhaps because I was saturating the broadband with a download on my PC.

I paused the PC download and fired up FM5 again. The Drivatar reward message is still there but my 1.5 million Forza Reward message is gone, and I don't have any of the credits.

Mascot

Finally got to play this for the first time today. Had to use a controller which wasn't ideal (ugh - didn't like the bone joypad much, or those annoying buzzing triggers). Game looked nice enough, but severely aliased - I don't think the TV was calibrated properly.

Was hoping to be impressed to the point of purchase, but... Nah. Not yet.

Finally got to play this for the first time today. Had to use a controller which wasn't ideal (ugh - didn't like the bone joypad much, or those annoying buzzing triggers). Game looked nice enough, but severely aliased - I don't think the TV was calibrated properly.

Was hoping to be impressed to the point of purchase, but... Nah. Not yet.

I wasn't immediately that impressed, the jank stood out more than the good stuff but I'm used to the aliasing now and think on the whole it looks great. The lighting was mocked but it's so seamless, no more eye catching pumping of the brightness, really does a great impression of the view through a lens. Plays so well on a wheel too.

The only Forza game I've never needed to adjust my display for.

op_ivy

its been 24 hours since i redeemed my january rewards and i'm still waiting on my 1.5 mil gift to arrive so that i can buy the gto

zorbsie

So far list of racers for Sunday at 2:00pm EST:
zorbsie
drugstore_cowboy
Spaceman Spiff
CrudeDiatribe
Muerte_X
p3tran
SarBear

I know we had a big list, anyone else? Might have to turn on AI drivers so I'll actually be able to pass someone :)

I'm in serious trouble if that's your time. My best so far in my Shelby Daytona is 2:47.

The weakness is that it is tuned against top speed and it will get passed on the long straights. If someone can hold me off in the sweepers then I won't be able to turn in those laps. I will tune up a GTO and see how I do.

m23

zorbsie
drugstore_cowboy
Spaceman Spiff
CrudeDiatribe
Muerte_X
p3tran
SarBear

I know we had a big list, anyone else? Might have to turn on AI drivers so I'll actually be able to pass someone :)

I should be able to make it.

SarBear

The weakness is that it is tuned against top speed and it will get passed on the long straights. If someone can hold me off in the sweepers then I won't be able to turn in those laps. I will tune up a GTO and see how I do.

Don't worry, with the new physics engine, someone will surely lock the brakes and go off course.

op_ivy

zorbsie
drugstore_cowboy
Spaceman Spiff
CrudeDiatribe
Muerte_X
p3tran
SarBear

i might be there. my dad might come up to visit and i'm a father of two, so 100% commitments, particularly in the middle of the day, are hard to come by. i also don't want to lock someone else out that definitely can meet up.

and still waiting for my rewards to buy a car to enter...

SarBear

i might be there. my dad might come up to visit and i'm a father of two, so 100% commitments, particularly in the middle of the day, are hard to come by. i also don't want to lock someone else out that definitely can meet up.

and still waiting for my rewards to buy a car to enter...

Broke ass Turn10 selling off shares to fund for Forza rewards. :-/

op_ivy

finall got my turn10 scrilla. gto here i come.

old/new le mans?

op_ivy

this is the first time i've tried to race clean on spa... are we on gentleman's terms as far as avoiding cutting corners?

zorbsie

Updated list for Sundays races:
zorbsie
drugstore_cowboy
Spaceman Spiff
CrudeDiatribe
Muerte_X
p3tran
SarBear
Munish23
op_ivy
Terbinator

It will be the new (with chicanes) Le Mans track. Not sure if 10 laps is too much on this track. Should we bump it down to 8 or is everyone cool with 10? Second race will be Spa 10 laps. When we get the room together we'll do a practice lap before the real race to get the jitters out.

I might make it on sunday for the races. Not quite sure yet. But 10 laps on lemans seems like a bit much. I am thinking more along the lines of 6. It's a big track. Unless you are talking about the new version they added in which case 10 is fine.

op_ivy

Updated list for Sundays races:
zorbsie
drugstore_cowboy
Spaceman Spiff
CrudeDiatribe
Muerte_X
p3tran
SarBear
Munish23
op_ivy
Terbinator

It will be the new (with chicanes) Le Mans track. Not sure if 10 laps is too much on this track. Should we bump it down to 8 or is everyone cool with 10? Second race will be Spa 10 laps. When we get the room together we'll do a practice lap before the real race to get the jitters out.

its almost twice as long a lap as spa. 10 seems a bit much. 8 too. 6?

Grassy

I redeemed My Forza rewards on January 1st. Still nothing. :/

Mine took over 24 hours to show up this time. All previous rewards were pretty much instantly sent to me in-game.

Wish I could join in the races with you guys. Unfortunately it converts to 6:00am Monday morning where I am, which is the exact time I leave for work. Otherwise I'd be up for it. I'm getting sick of racing 8 year olds online who have to commentate on everything that happens during a race and can't drive for shit. Oh well.

op_ivy

Something tells me the track DLC will be delayed.

cant be delayed if it was never announced let alone given a date in the first place. i can be patient. it will take some time to redo the amalfi coast in xbone glory

Mascot

cant be delayed if it was never announced let alone given a date in the first place. i can be patient. it will take some time to redo the amalfi coast in xbone glory

Man, there's so many missing tracks. Couldn't some intern just have lowered the sun and plopped a helicopter or two in the sky? I really don't buy this six-months-to-build-a-track nonsense.

op_ivy

I picked the expensive 250 gto out of the list, because eventhough I have bought it, I have not even driven it yet.
so, in my (work in progress) test tune I did 2:38.3, which is pretty much a top 200 time.
if I tweak the car more, it can go even better because right now it has much more grip than needed.
if you guys want, I can upload the tune for testing

still sharing that tune? i'm not a tuner myself - don't know where to begin really, but managed a 2:41.

BADNED

Man, there's so many missing tracks. Couldn't some intern just have lowered the sun and plopped a helicopter or two in the sky? I really don't buy this six-months-to-build-a-track nonsense.
lol at six months. It's more like two years from green light to finish my friend!

Mascot

lol at six months. It's more like two years from green light to finish my friend!

Yet users could probably rattle off decent fantasy tracks in a few weeks, given good enough tools to play with.

I really don't understand what takes so long. Are you including licensing, approvals, beard trimming, incubation and karate lessons in that timeframe?

Top Bottom