• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yet users could probably rattle off decent fantasy tracks in a few weeks, given good enough tools to play with.

I really don't understand what takes so long. Are you including licensing, approvals, beard trimming, incubation and karate lessons in that timeframe?

I think the built the actual US GP track in Austin faster than two years, :lol (not quite, but not that far off either).

WolfgangK

I used to use the Mugello short track for doing initial upgrading, tuning, hot-lapping of cars in Forza 2-4 since it had a nice mix of turns and mid-to-long straights. Really bummed that it's gone as it was kinda like my home-track.

Do you guys have a specific go-to test track for such purposes? Initially I've found the Indy GP track and one of the mid-size Catalunya tracks as possible replacements for Mugello's variations. I'd gotten so good at being able to quickly suss out where a car's strengths and weaknesses were due to my comfort with that track.

p3tran

Banned
still sharing that tune? i'm not a tuner myself - don't know where to begin really, but managed a 2:41.
2:41 is not bad (see below haha). I will upload the gto test tune in 5 mins. search "gaf" or my tag :)
(2:47) That's all I'm hitting. Two hours practice, 3m credits lighter and I still suck.
well, you know what they say... a little practice and a tune from petran will make you wonders lolol

I used to use the Mugello short track for doing initial upgrading, tuning, hot-lapping of cars in Forza 2-4 since it had a nice mix of turns and mid-to-long straights. Really bummed that it's gone as it was kinda like my home-track.

Do you guys have a specific go-to test track for such purposes? Initially I've found the Indy GP track and one of the mid-size Catalunya tracks as possible replacements for Mugello's variations. I'd gotten so good at being able to quickly suss out where a car's strengths and weaknesses were due to my comfort with that track.
I used mugello short too. after the eviction, laguna seca.

lol at six months. It's more like two years from green light to finish my friend!
LOL at two years! we've been asking for proper nurburgring for five years !!1! ;)

WolfgangK

Raced the first four or five tracks (beginner) and every first turn makes me cry. It's always a pile up.

Ironically I raced Indy GP last night and was expecting the worst, (vs Drivatars) and the whole lot barrelled into the first turn, then the next, the third, through the first at least 5 turns completely clean. It was chaotic, very close racing, but it was a pretty exhilarating moment.

I will say I probably aided that by just dealing with the AI's conservative braking style vs. pushing the issue and waiting to make my way through the field a little later in the first lap.

I think the racing would benefit even more from having another lap or two on most tracks so you don't feel like you've got to take so many spots from the AI in such big chunks, and so early to end up P1.

The short number of laps does not help the first-corner-pileup situation.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Game just arrived in the mail.
Installing it now.
Never played Forza before.
tumblr_lq73fuVQop1qhw5ln.gif

frontieruk

Ironically I raced Indy GP last night and was expecting the worst, (vs Drivatars) and the whole lot barrelled into the first turn, then the next, the third, through the first at least 5 turns completely clean. It was chaotic, very close racing, but it was a pretty exhilarating moment.

I will say I probably aided that by just dealing with the AI's conservative braking style vs. pushing the issue and waiting to make my way through the field a little later in the first lap.

I think the racing would benefit even more from having another lap or two on most tracks so you don't feel like you've got to take so many spots from the AI in such big chunks, and so early to end up P1.

The short number of laps does not help the first-corner-pileup situation.

I think the lack of laps actually causes the shitty starts as people want to be up as far as they can quickly due to the lack of time to make distance up, and it has been discussed in this thread and a few agree.

Haven't really paid attention but are there still fuel levels to contend with our is that another feature that isn't next gen enough yet?

2:41 is not bad (see below haha). I will upload the gto test tune in 5 mins. search "gaf" or my tag :)

Just gave your tune a brief test drive.

I was running 2:42s at Spa with a build that emphasized handling and grip with full weight reduction, slicks and aero, and with your tune I was able to almost match that on my first flying lap. Nice work.

I'm still undecided as to what setup I'll run on the GTO this Sunday. One the one hand, I tend to prefer consistency over outright lap times in online racing, and thus go for handling and tire upgrades over power mods, but on the other, I'm going to get absolutely destroyed at Le Mans if I'm only pulling ~150 mph on those long straights. We'll see.

Dirty 2:44's is all I can manage, might drop sim steering for normal to see if it does anything.

Edit:
Clean 2:44's now and dirty 2:42s, every time I shift I can see p3tran's ghost pull further away.

Are you using manual with clutch on your wheel or a pad?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

well, you know what they say... a little practice and a tune from petran will make you wonders lolol

your tune is pretty good! it has like 100+ hp to my set up and eventually i was able to shave about 1.5 seconds off my time (which is no small feat), but i think i'd prefer something with a bit more grip. would you mind sending me, via pm or otherwise, some of your adjustments to get me started?

on a different subject, the only track i see that consistently has cluster fucks in turn 1 with the AI is le mans. that chicane is a blood bath!

EDIT: is there no online leaderboards at forzamotorsports.net?

Sub_Level

Welcome to the community :) you can start racing at about 20% installed btw

My install was pretty fast. 15 minutes tops, probably less than 10 actually. Far cry from the Ryse horror stories I've read.

Game is fantastic so far; have 5 golds. Set it to the "hard" difficulty since that seems suited for someone who has played racing games before but isn't great at them. Disabled the drivatars.

edit: the absolute worst part of the game though is that I can't run the music app with forza fullscreen. Not forza's fault, though; this needs to be addressed in a firmware update.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
My install was pretty fast. 15 minutes tops, probably less than 10 actually. Far cry from the Ryse horror stories I've read.

Game is fantastic so far; have 5 golds. Set it to the "hard" difficulty since that seems suited for someone who has played racing games before but isn't great at them. Disabled the drivatars.

edit: the absolute worst part of the game though is that I can't run the music app with forza fullscreen. Not forza's fault, though; this needs to be addressed in a firmware update.

music!? you are doing it wrong son

Sub_Level

music!? you are doing it wrong son

I've been using custom soundtracks in racing games since Jet Moto 2 circa 1997 which let you play any audio cd. There's a couple exceptions, like Wipeout XL and Gran Turismo, since they already had amazing licensed tracks. Wipeout HD is what ultimately spoiled me with a superb custom soundtrack option. If I'm gonna be playing this game for 20+ hours, it's not gonna be with the same monotonous engine noise breh.

Besides I thought Forza was known for customization. Remember seeing a lot of crazy paint jobs in the Forza 2 days.

SarBear

Happy new year everybody!!

very nice 8)
about time etc, i think it will work

nice list 8)
we should do a ford gt40-only race on old lemans :)

I picked the expensive 250 gto out of the list, because eventhough I have bought it, I have not even driven it yet.
so, in my (work in progress) test tune I did 2:38.3, which is pretty much a top 200 time.
if I tweak the car more, it can go even better because right now it has much more grip than needed.
if you guys want, I can upload the tune for testing

:)

Sub_Level

Love all the difficulty options and hud options. Turned the speedometer and car names off. Difficulty is hard as mentioned earlier. And drivatar difficulty set to above average. Seems to be just right for me.

Using the pad, not a wheel. Got mild cramp in my right index finger from holding down the acceleration too long. This game is great! Not too big into sim racers so I figured I would trade it in but helllll no 2-3 hours later it really starts to click. Press Y to reverse is cheap. Other than the xbox music thing , that's my only complaint. Also, graphics are not mind blowing, but are certainly a cut above what my pc could do, and I didn't buy an xbox one for graphics anyway.

As an aside, I'd just like to say that, provided the difficulty is set to a proper level to give enough challenge but not something that will take you 10+ retries, "take a shot every time you get a gold in an event" is an absolutely wonderful way to play Forza 5. Think I'm gonna try and get all the gold in this game (but not drink everytime >_>)

malfcn

I don't understand how I am supposed to like people's stuff. Never had an option.

And is there a trick with redeeming rewards? Any reason why not to redeem asap?

p3tran

Banned
Just gave your tune a brief test drive.

I was running 2:42s at Spa with a build that emphasized handling and grip with full weight reduction, slicks and aero, and with your tune I was able to almost match that on my first flying lap. Nice work.

I'm still undecided as to what setup I'll run on the GTO this Sunday. One the one hand, I tend to prefer consistency over outright lap times in online racing, and thus go for handling and tire upgrades over power mods, but on the other, I'm going to get absolutely destroyed at Le Mans if I'm only pulling ~150 mph on those long straights. We'll see.
well my test tune is based on the contrary of that focus :)
stock tire type, no aero aids, no weight reduction, 100kw more and 100Nm more and there you go. with some flair but still drivable and controllable :)

Dirty 2:44's is all I can manage, might drop sim steering for normal to see if it does anything.

Edit:
Clean 2:44's now and dirty 2:42s, every time I shift I can see p3tran's ghost pull further away.

Are you using manual with clutch on your wheel or a pad?
hmm manual with clutch iirc, no aids. i was on joypad when i did the test.
probably will run with wheel/no clutch in the race.
if you have antispin/traction etc, maybe on exiting turns wot it cuts your power more to keep the grip alive? I've seen it happen to me.

your tune is pretty good! it has like 100+ hp to my set up and eventually i was able to shave about 1.5 seconds off my time (which is no small feat), but i think i'd prefer something with a bit more grip. would you mind sending me, via pm or otherwise, some of your adjustments to get me started?
yes, as i wrote above, i didnt tune on the basis of grip, but on the basis of ..fun.
there is lots of room to add more grip, by using better tires, weight reduction and aero.

--
since I did the test tune, I had friends over, and when on consoles it was all about bf4/cod ghosts and no forza. forza time is today :)
I will see if I can add more grip to the car without cutting its balls.

but if you guys want THE GRIPPIEST version of a b600 gto you can get RIGHT NOW, I think TG TAKUMI has a version up with full aero, weight reduction and slicks.
I also think he built it specifically for SPA, where he has like a top15 time in the gto b class.
problem is, I dont like my cars so neutered in handling. I want some flair :D
maybe i will see for a rev.2 today, maybe a little more grip, hopefully not much less flair :)

and one question:
do we have to use the same car on both spa and leman? same setup too?

p.s. sarbear, what you cooking? :D

SarBear

well my test tune is based on the contrary of that focus :)
stock tire type, no aero aids, no weight reduction, 100kw more and 100Nm more and there you go. with some flair but still drivable and controllable :)

hmm manual with clutch iirc, no aids. i was on joypad when i did the test.
probably will run with wheel/no clutch in the race.
if you have antispin/traction etc, maybe on exiting turns wot it cuts your power more to keep the grip alive? I've seen it happen to me.

yes, as i wrote above, i didnt tune on the basis of grip, but on the basis of ..fun.
there is lots of room to add more grip, by using better tires, weight reduction and aero.

--
since I did the test tune, I had friends over, and when on consoles it was all about bf4/cod ghosts and no forza. forza time is today :)
I will see if I can add more grip to the car without cutting its balls.

but if you guys want THE GRIPPIEST version of a b600 gto you can get RIGHT NOW, I think TG TAKUMI has a version up with full aero, weight reduction and slicks.
I also think he built it specifically for SPA, where he has like a top15 time in the gto b class.
problem is, I dont like my cars so neutered in handling. I want some flair :D
maybe i will see for a rev.2 today, maybe a little more grip, hopefully not much less flair :)

and one question:
do we have to use the same car on both spa and leman? same setup too?

p.s. sarbear, what you cooking? :D

Well, I didn't wanna use the GTO, would be a bit unfair. But I've got a MONSTER of a Stingray. Doing high 37s right now, just have to be a bit patient with it or it slips into the 38s. Still working on a LeMans version. And still tinkering around with the Alfa. I'd really like to use that car, but it seems too light for its own good. Plus the last time I used that fucking car, on Camino with the Gaf league, I flipped it pretty good. I still have those pics lol

SarBear

I dunno, it still just feels wrong using this Stingray, especially when most people are lapping 3 to 4 seconds slower. I might switch to keep a good field of competition.

ShapeGSX

That was my test track, too. Great straight for tuning gearing.

The thrill of the chase should make your times better. On Forza 4 I set all my top times while in hoppers.

Hope so! I'm gonna get my are online now to see how it goes.

My gold ran out months ago but I have some 48hr codes, anyone know if you get any free time with the Xbone one before putting the codes in?

p3tran

Banned
so, I upgraded tires up just one notch, now the gto is sporting STREET tires. and full aero.
I did a low 1:36 in the test runs, so its good. for those that want to try, search for "gaf grip" or for my tag.

now I picked up another unused car I had, the cobra daytona coupe.
first test setup and run got this to low 37's so there is potential here too 8)

tomorrow are we racing spa only? or both spa - lemans?

SarBear

so, I upgraded tires up just one notch, now the gto is sporting STREET tires. and full aero.
I did a low 1:36 in the test runs, so its good. for those that want to try, search for "gaf grip" or for my tag.

Me thinks you'll be the only one running those times, I'm probably gonna roll with a car that can do 39s and 40s

zorbsie

We'll be racing both. 10 laps Spa, 6 laps Le Mans.
I'll download your tune. I won't be getting your times, but hopefully it'll help me get lower than 1:47.

p3tran

Banned
Me thinks you'll be the only one running those times, I'm probably gonna roll with a car that can do 39s and 40s
i think it has more to do with learning the track than the car itself.

We'll be racing both. 10 laps Spa, 6 laps Le Mans.
I'll download your tune. I won't be getting your times, but hopefully it'll help me get lower than 1:47.
spa (that I raced some) is technical and it has two or three sets of turns leading to straights, and LOTS of seconds are hidden in correct approach to those turns.
times will improve for all as we understand the flow of track better.

le mans now.. outside of the vip rival with 787b, never run it...
will have to sort this out for b class....

one more question:
after we enter the lobby, we will use the single car/single setup in both tracks? or there will be the possibility to change car or change tune on the same car between the two tracks?

SarBear

i think it has more to do with learning the track than the car itself.

Joke post? C'Mon, lezbehonest, it's a leaderboard car, bro! There's no way you can take a GTO , race it against the likes of say, the GTA or E type, and can say with a straight face that they'll all do the same times. Stahp it!

zorbsie

one more question:
after we enter the lobby, we will use the single car/single setup in both tracks? or there will be the possibility to change car or change tune on the same car between the two tracks?

Nothing wrong with switching cars/tunes in between races, as long as they follow the race rules. 60's GTs, B600, full roll cage.

p3tran

Banned
Joke post? C'Mon, lezbehonest, it's a leaderboard car, bro! There's no way you can take a GTO , race it against the likes of say, the GTA or E type, and can say with a straight face that they'll all do the same times. Stahp it!

well then, i wont be racing the gto if it is a leaderboard car (which I did not know)
problem is, already I have another car (the shelby coupe) that laps low 37s, and without as much fiddling around as i did on the gto.

Nothing wrong with switching cars/tunes in between races, as long as they follow the race rules. 60's GTs, B600, full roll cage.
cool, it could work both ways (like prepare ONE car for both races), but it sure makes things easier this way

Sub_Level

Truly next gen is racing a lime green Ford Focus with Icona Pop snapped to the side of the screen.

Don't judge.

SarBear

well then, i wont be racing the gto if it is a leaderboard car (which I did not know)
problem is, already I have another car (the shelby coupe) that laps low 37s, and without as much fiddling around as i did on the gto.

cool, it could work both ways (like prepare ONE car for both races), but it sure makes things easier this way

No, please race whatever you want!! I, personally, am just going to race with the pack! My apologies, I wasn't trying to make you feel bad or anything. Race at wherever level you feel comfortable.

So far list of racers for Sunday at 2:00pm EST:
zorbsie
drugstore_cowboy
Spaceman Spiff
CrudeDiatribe
Muerte_X
p3tran
SarBear

I know we had a big list, anyone else? Might have to turn on AI drivers so I'll actually be able to pass someone :)

I should be able to play.

p3tran

Banned
No, please race whatever you want!! I, personally, am just going to race with the pack! My apologies, I wasn't trying to make you feel bad or anything. Race at wherever level you feel comfortable.
:p
not feeling bad or anything. also, both tunes I did, I have put up for people to test/use if they want to.

i was just unaware that 250 gto is considered a leaderboard car. in fact, I have no idea which cars count towards that in f5 :)

Top Bottom