• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport screens

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
920720_20041014_screen001.jpg

920720_20041014_screen002.jpg

920720_20041014_screen003.jpg

920720_20041014_screen004.jpg

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
just got the forza demo today... been driving around in my 300 hps WRX STi with all driving aids turned off (except ABS which i am going to assume is a feature of the real car) and manual transmission on laguna seca against 3 other cars.

it's a different kind of fun. it's like trying to tame reality by gambling with your courage. i took a while but i've finally learned how to get the all-wheel drive WRX to go into a four-wheel drift... this game requires more fingers doing more things on your controller, and a whooooole different skillset than all the arcade racers we've had as of late.

Ranger X

chespace said:
just got the forza demo today... been driving around in my 300 hps WRX STi with all driving aids turned off (except ABS which i am going to assume is a feature of the real car) and manual transmission on laguna seca against 3 other cars.

it's a different kind of fun. it's like trying to tame reality by gambling with your courage. i took a while but i've finally learned how to get the all-wheel drive WRX to go into a four-wheel drift... this game requires more fingers doing more things on your controller, and a whooooole different skillset than all the arcade racers we've had as of late.

for sure because it's not an arcade racer...

chespace

Wyzdom said:
for sure because it's not an arcade racer...

what?? wtf??

edit: ok, whatever. sarcasm wasn't working. i know all about forza's pedigree. thanks. i'm just saying i haven't played a pure sim since GT3. it's been years. and i'm slowly getting back into the realm of realism.

Ranger X

This was misleading in your post:

"this game requires more fingers doing more things on your controller, and a whooooole different skillset than all the arcade racers we've had as of late."

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
m0dus said:
920720_20041014_screen004.jpg

Okay--now THAT level of geometry detail is pretty damn impressive. not a hard corner to be found . . .

Where as they're all over the place on the yellow RX8. Also, what's the deal the NSX's rims? Flat up front. 3D up back. Also, someone needs to inform the developers that these cars have very round tire sidewalls; they're supposed to be low-profile -- NFS: Underground has that look down. Muscle cars look perfect, though.

AlphaSnake

Joe said:
uhhh low profile tires are a no-no for racing.

Depends on your definition of low-profile. I'm not talking about super thin sidewalls. For instance, the tires on my car are already considered low-profile. Either way, the tires in those shots are too damn round looking.

WarPig

NSX Type-R sure is a nice-looking car. I had a really pretty picture of that from the GT4 photo mode at E3.

My main beef with Forza (like I said in today's 1UP preview) is the wussy engine noise. Gran Turismo fucking kicks you in the ass with the engine sound, and so far Forza doesn't have that kinda impact. Bums me out, because it does a lot of other stuff really well.

DFS.

AlphaSnake

m0dus said:
Um, no they're not. Are you even looking at the same picture? the edges are quite smooth--no jutting polys breaking them up. Don't mistake my observation as saying there were no sharp edges--there are supposed to be, on some of the cars. I mean the contours, IE, the areas such as the hood, wheels, and bevels, are extremely well done, and not angular.

Once the Apprentice finishes I'll point it all out. Even though I know you'll want to deny them all.

chespace

WarPig said:
NSX Type-R sure is a nice-looking car. I had a really pretty picture of that from the GT4 photo mode at E3.

My main beef with Forza (like I said in today's 1UP preview) is the wussy engine noise. Gran Turismo fucking kicks you in the ass with the engine sound, and so far Forza doesn't have that kinda impact. Bums me out, because it does a lot of other stuff really well.

DFS.

you know, playing it on the TV in my office yielded better results aurally. the NSX engine sounds a lot better for some reason.

WarPig said:

DFS.

I'm not trying to start a flame here, but how does it compare to GT3/GT4? I still play GT3 to this day, and all I've read about the game is really impressive - it's got some features I wish ended up in the GT series (multiple choices for engine swaps, car damage, etc) and looks near as good as GT4*

*I don't want to turn this thread into a graphics arguement. graphics are important to me, but not as important as the gameplay. even if I feel the graphics aren't as good, they are way better than average and still look great*

So, gameplay-wise, how is it? It sounds like mad fun and I can forgive a few small graphical/sound details if it's a blast to play.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Screen 2 looks great... the main issue I have with Forza's graphics are the road textures are ugly looking, reminds me of a Dreamcast game or something :p The rest of the game looks real nice, though I think GT4 still has teh edge.

WarPig

I'm not trying to start a flame here, but how does it compare to GT3/GT4?

What Forza has on the GT games: online play, online community, and a better cosmetic customization system. The vinyl editor is pretty sick, you get up to 100 layers of vinyl on each general surface area (top, sides, wing, front, rear) and some really versatile controls for fucking with the basic set of design elements and putting together something unique.

What GT may have on Forza at this point: more tracks, possibly better-looking city tracks (haven't seen much besides race circuits in Forza, although it does a very nice Tsukuba and a very nice Laguna Seca), more cars, maybe better audio.

Push: controls. I like the feel of both games right now. Both have some very good car physics and very good track modeling. I haven't played enough of either Forza or GT4 to pass judgment either way.

DFS.

hgplayer1

AlphaSnake said:
Also, someone needs to inform the developers that these cars have very round tire sidewalls; they're supposed to be low-profile --

I mentioned this a while back in a Forza thread. totally agree with you.

WarPig

Yeah, it seems like they've got the wrong wheels and tires on a couple vehicles. Check out the rims on the real Mine's R34:

r34nur.jpg

DFS.

aaaaa0

WarPig said:
Yeah, it seems like they've got the wrong wheels and tires on a couple vehicles.

Can you have different tires and wheels on your car? Does this affect the visual appearance in Forza?

WarPig

aaaaa0 said:
Can you have different tires and wheels on your car? Does this affect the visual appearance in Forza?

Oh, you can definitely swap on different rims, tons of 'em. I just don't see why they're taking screenshots with smaller ones, especially with a tuning-company special like that one.

DFS.

WarPig

ravingloon said:
The 108MB video of Leguna Seca is very impressive. It looks like it's running at 60fps, is this actually confirmed now?

No, it is, always has been, and always will be 30FPS. Still looks just fine at that framerate to me, since it never dips at all, and the controls still feel fine.

DFS.

AlphaSnake

rx8.jpg

Please note the arrow with the question mark, that little thing is nowhere to be found on the car.

Note the green not only are its edges too sharp, but the feature is exaggerated.

Look at the area circled around the door handle. The edge is a bit too sharp too, but the reason I highlighted it was because the edge doesn't flow back to the rear of the car. As soon as it gets to the rear quarter panel, the edge is gone and the car is flat.

As far as everything else, those are rough little edges (some not so little). The spoiler is razor sharp and razor thin. The hood has points; the car is supposed to have an egg-like hood. The two circle beneath the altezzas...some sort of weird lighting. The bumper isn't double-lined, so it has to be some weird lighting effect creating that sharp little extra line.

rx8.jpg

AlphaSnake

WarPig said:
Yeah, it seems like they've got the wrong wheels and tires on a couple vehicles. Check out the rims on the real Mine's R34:

r34nur.jpg

DFS.

Nah, the rims look pretty much the same.

jedimike

I love looking at these screenshots, but I still have a hard time getting excited about a driving sim. There is a labor of love involved in dedicating your time to a sim like this or GT4. Lots of trial and error just to shave off fractions of a second... it's just more game than I want to commit to.

element

m0dus said:
I think you're wrong about the road textures--check out how sharp they are in the vids, and NO repitition. Very nice.
not to mention your skid marks stay on the track for the entire race.

FightyF

Banned
Also, what's the deal the NSX's rims? Flat up front. 3D up back.

Possibly because in that shot the front tires are spinning and the back could have the handbrake on or spinning slowly.

AlphaSnake said:
rx8.jpg

Please note the arrow with the question mark, that little thing is nowhere to be found on the car.

Note the green not only are its edges too sharp, but the feature is exaggerated.

Look at the area circled around the door handle. The edge is a bit too sharp too, but the reason I highlighted it was because the edge doesn't flow back to the rear of the car. As soon as it gets to the rear quarter panel, the edge is gone and the car is flat.

As far as everything else, those are rough little edges (some not so little). The spoiler is razor sharp and razor thin. The hood has points; the car is supposed to have an egg-like hood. The two circle beneath the altezzas...some sort of weird lighting. The bumper isn't double-lined, so it has to be some weird lighting effect creating that sharp little extra line.

rx8.jpg

I do believe you have just taken nitpicking to the next level.

The in-game model looks so fucking close to the real thing, it's ridiculous.

FightyF

Banned
What Forza has on the GT games: online play, online community, and a better cosmetic customization system. The vinyl editor is pretty sick, you get up to 100 layers of vinyl on each general surface area (top, sides, wing, front, rear) and some really versatile controls for fucking with the basic set of design elements and putting together something unique.

That's gonna be awesome for online play...because people could simply recognize your car...knowing it's you because of the way you customized it. Sweet.

Gek54

Oh fucking weaksauce. Only two views and the only first person view is a fucking low to the ground front of the car bumper cam.

Edit: Nm, its got a higher one but I cant tell if its still at the front of the car or where the drivers head would be.

AlphaSnake

Error Macro said:
I do believe you have just taken nitpicking to the next level.

The in-game model looks so fucking close to the real thing, it's ridiculous.

I actually wanted to say that I was nit-picking like a madman. And I was, no doubt. It's just I kinda' had to make my point in regards to my retort to m0dus.

Gregory

Banned
Game looks decent in the video, by far the best thing seems to be the crash physics. Cars react the way you`d expect in collisions. Other than that though it looks average and generic.

jedimike

Gregory said:
Game looks decent in the video, by far the best thing seems to be the crash physics. Cars react the way you`d expect in collisions. Other than that though it looks average and generic.

in other words.... it looks real

Gregory

Banned
Gattsu25 said:

Heh, I`m talking about cars spinning out and flipping during collisions ofcourse. In this regard it is much better than Gran Turismo where nothing happens when you crash into other cars.

And while the damage on the cars isn`t totally realistic it`s atleast better than nothing.

Gek54

Gregory forgot about the 10 second penalty in GT4. I'd say that was better than just making you car look damaged.

Gregory

Banned
Gek54 said:
Gregory forgot about the 10 second penalty in GT4. I'd say that was better than just making you car look damaged.

So you`d prefer a 10 second penalty instead of having cars spinning out of control like they should when they bump into eachother? In GT the cars barely move an inch during impact.

Top Bottom