• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport screens

gmoran

Its inarguable that 60FPS > 30FPS. Does 60FPS make up for the things forza has that other games don't? At this point don't know don't care, when both games are on the shelf, then people will form their own opinions, opinions based on gameplay not a bunch of specifications and features.

This thread now for me, Modus and Gek is that Modus said something that I think was patently wrong, and I think instead of coming out and admiting to it, he covered up. I think there is value to be had from trying to understand this.

gmoran

m0dus said:
The issue isn't desensitization, it's that reaction time is 10x longer, by allowance, than .0173 seconds between frames. IE, relatively speaking, the speed and specificity of the "reaction" one can produce to that amount of difference is something akin to trying to hit a fly with a hammer--coarse and inexact, compared to the finite amount of time the event is taking place in. Now I offer that up to you as nothing more than an explanation to that question

So what you are saying is that with complete reaction times (see --> process --> contract muscle) being about 1/5 sec (which they are), that the advantage enjoyed by perceiving it 1/60 sec is negligible. No damping effect here, just that .0173 is smaller than .2?

Have I understood you correctly? Will you stand by this statement as being the whole of your reasoning? If I've represented it unfairly will you restate it so that its meaning is still evident?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
gmoran said:
At this point don't know don't care, when both games are on the shelf, then people will form their own opinions, opinions based on gameplay not a bunch of specifications and features.
I so wish that was the case but you know that's wrong. Marketing and hype primarily sells a game no matter how great the gameplay is. :(

Zaptruder

Banned
gmoran said:
So what you are saying is that with complete reaction times (see --> process --> contract muscle) being about 1/5 sec (which they are), that the advantage enjoyed by perceiving it 1/60 sec is negligible. No damping effect here, just that .0173 is smaller than .2?

Have I understood you correctly? Will you stand by this statement as being the whole of your reasoning? If I've represented it unfairly will you restate it so that its meaning is still evident?

No. that's only one part of the argument.

The other part is that, related to reaction is that both games still run at the same 'speed', despite the disparity between the FPS; the same game running at 30 fps and 60 fps will still have the same timing with regards to timing of cornering and braking. (as long as the controllers are been polled at the same rate).

The point is, your ability to time and predict does not rely on the basis of 1/60th of a frame, but in your ability to roughly judge and time and turn into a corner; listening and feeling for tactile feedback is incredibly important to a good driver... all these things... are more important that simply higher frame rates, past a certain threshold (varies for people, but around 24 FPS it would seem).

And I'll reiterate once more... the biggest effect that 60 fps is that it would give a better sense of immersion; might produce positive physiological responses, that in turn improve timing in general.

Gek... and gmorran, you two don't even sound like you have a layman's understanding of how the brain and response works. I suggest you go study up rather than reitierate among other things how 60fps has 'twice' as much information as 30fps (which sounds incredibly naieve to a studied person).

That said... along with 60 fps helping with immersion... the addition of a force feedback wheel, is the item that sets GT4 above and beyond what FM could ever hope to reach. That item... well, it's like the difference between trying to jack off by rubbing your legs together constantly and having a flesh light like device!

Gek54

Zaptruder said:
Gek... and gmorran, you two don't even sound like you have a layman's understanding of how the brain and response works. I suggest you go study up rather than reitierate among other things how 60fps has 'twice' as much information as 30fps (which sounds incredibly naieve to a studied person).

Yes Zaptruder, tell us how the brain works in technical terms, tell us please.

Never did we say we rely on the frames that appear in between every 30 frames in a second. Only that it provides double the visual information helping improve one's ability to predict movement. It was not argued to what should be considered the most important feature only that 60fps provides a significant advantage. You never tried to explain why 60fps only helps immersion though I think I know what you are trying to say. While I do agree it helps immersion, I wont say its the only advantage to having 60fps. Having 60fps only means there is less room for misjudgement of the visual information. If one is comfortable with a greater possibilty of error that is fine. Same could be argued on resolution and aliasing of distant objects in a similar fasion.

So to a studied person, 60 images is the same about of information as 30 images? Wow, I must need more of that book lernin.

Zaptruder

Banned
In terms of visual information percieved, yes. The additional frames just smooth out motion rather than adding new visual information.

Actually if anything, the 30FPS might be 'more' visual information as the brain tries to cope with the 'choppiness'

And it's already been alluded to roughly how the brain works; they're plenty of sites that can explain the subject better then me personally, but suffice to say, the crux of the argument that our perception and reaction times are much slower than 1/60th FPS and thus we rely heavily on (at least when everything else is fairly consistent) timing and prediction.

What you're trying to say is that that additional frame information might help better the timing... or rather the lack of frame information can throw of timing.

Which might be an issue if we could discretely interpret each individual frame at least at those speeds.

As for actual studies upon the subject matter... which I think is what you're seeking in order to be satisfied, well I'm sorry; I've never come across a study of FPS in games and their relation to performance. But from the basis of what I've learnt and can recall of in psychology (and perception in particular), we've 'intelligently' extrapolated to the way people behave and should react in this matter.

If you're not satisfied your quite welcome to do the research and testing on this issue... but until you do, you'd be hard pressed to sway my POV.

Gek54

Show me where it says humans can not percieve anything faster than 30fps? A fly can percieve movent at a much higher rate than a human and to that fly 60 fps would seem choppy compared to 120fps where as us humans can not percieve the difference.

The additional frames just smooth out motion rather than adding new visual information.

So what you are saying is that any frames over 30 provides the same 'smoothness' of motion affect as bluring?

gmoran

m0dus said:
I regret that I have somehow seemingly made an enemy of you (two - which was NEVER my intent), if so, all's the more reason to stop now.

You haven't made an enemy of me, and I'd doubt you have of Gek54 either. Were you around in 1999, when it was DeadMeat vs Fafalada & GAF in general re: PS2 architecture; or even for the Factor 5 Rogue Squadron mammoth thread - this is as nothing in comparison.

m0dus said:
And I'm not going to quantify what 4 pages seemingly couldn't explain into a limited statement.

Ha, no problem I'll do it for you

m0dus said:
10-16-2004, 03:20 PM
The developers have stated a number of times that they are polling the controller at 180 fps for greater accuracy, so you can rest easy, that issue is nil.

10-18-2004, 09:30 AM
Fact of the matter is, you are going to react to what you see (remember, the TIMING is exactly the same between 30 and 60 - neither is running any slower or faster. the difference is frequency of images presented to your eye), and considering there is no delay between the controller and the screen, your only limitations are your own reflexes.

10-18-2004, 02:39 PM
Seeing a truck coming straight at you at 30 or 60 fps doesn't mean you sit there and stand with your jaw agape one way or the other--you don't sit and wonder how many frames you have left before you can jump out of the way, because the event is based on Timing and the velocity of the vehicle. Now, if we were talking, say 5 frames per second, then one's sense of timing WOULD be affected, because not enough information is presented to the eye for the brain to interperate as real-world movement or animation (the truck would be 'teleporting'). It has long been established that our minds interperate visual schema as normal movement at around 24 frames per second, which is the framerate used for cartoons, movies and television. 30 is easily as effective. 60 WOULD be smoother, but then, at this point you're talking about timings so minute, they are limited physically by the speed your own reflexes (of neural conduction itself! bwah!), and are thus, I think, are negligable.

10-19-2004, 02:01 PM
Yes, a neural impulse travels at 100m/s. But if you have to take the entire arc into account, from afferrent, then toss in higher brain function for interpretation, to efferent (effector) arm of the circuit, to muscle output, shit tends to get delayed. Seriously, you think people can react effectively within 1/60th of a second? my friend, then we'd never have auto accidents. If human reaction time is limited to .15 sec, that translates to about fifteen feet if your travelling at 100 MPH, before you slam on the brakes. The issue has always been timing. by polling the controller at 60 or more, the input from the player is smoother. in theory, I suppose.

10-19-2004, 02:38 PM
sorry if it wasn't clear enough--hell yes you can resolve information at a higher framerate. that's why the movement looks smoother. point is you aren't missing anything you can react to at 24 or 30, compared to 60.

10-19-2004, 02:50 PM
gmoran said:
If you can resolve data at higher than 30FPS, then of course you will react to it faster, because your starting point is earlier. Imagine it's a race: when you see the chequered flag you will react at the same rate to press the accelerator; but at 60FPS you will see the flag earlier. Everything else being equal at 60FPS you will start quicker than at 30FPS. The logic is inescapable.
:) .0173 seconds earlier? I hope you aren't a gambling man, my friend.

10-19-2004, 03:03 PM
look at it this way, again: with the way things are going, you don't see the flag as appearing .017 seconds sooner--it just moves more smoothly, along with everything else.

<Edit>

as far as the flag issue, I worded that rather poorly--you do indeed see it 0.0173 seconds 'sooner' the point is, that 0.0173 seconds doesn't provide any input you can realistically react on. IMO. hence, "negligable" in reaction time (which is a power of ten longer, by standard).

Yesterday, 01:49 PM
The simple fact is, some people can't wrap their heads around a simple postulate. the question being that, although you are processing more information at 60 frames per second (which again was *never* the issue), does that tiny bit of "extra" give you an "edge" over events being processed at a slightly lower rate, if the frequency of input between the two control systems is identical. Just because a human being is capable of percieving more, does it by definition imply he or she is physically capable of initiating a significantly different, or faster, response. "YES!" you and others cry. I still say, simply, it is unlikely. I feel we, as people, have our limits. The sheer aggressive nature of the response to this has been, in a word, confounding.

gmoran

Zaptruder said:
Actually if anything, the 30FPS might be 'more' visual information as the brain tries to cope with the 'choppiness'

What sort of mind could conceive such brilliant simplicity? It is surely the truth!

Zaptruder said:
And it's already been alluded to roughly how the brain works; they're plenty of sites that can explain the subject better then me personally

Sites that can explain it better than you? You really think so?

gmoran

m0dus said:
I have nothing to "admit," because we haven't proven or disproven anything to each other, in my eyes.

Modus

it's simple, you appear to believe that 60 FPS provides twice as much data as 30FPS; people can perceive the difference; but are unable to react to it.

Not some people, not you, all people.

Now if that isn't what you believe? If you think that some people might react better to 60FPS rather than 30FPS, but that you personally don't; then there's no argument. But that hasn't been the nature of your posts.

Your arguments have not been written as if they reflect your experience, they have been written as being universal. Yes you've said its your opinion, but your opinion that 60FPS will not allow people to control the game better. You believe your opinion is universal.

As this opinion appears counter intuitive and contradicts my experience and my knowledge (a TV program about racing drivers where they had a camera recording driver eye movement, and calculated the reaction times they were using - I can't remember what it was called - its offered not as proof, but to explain my position), I'd like you to post something straightforward and substantive to justify your position. You haven't.

You haven't explained why you believe as you do. In your latter posts the arguments may have been technical (or at least used technical terminology) but they are merely used to plug the holes in your argument. You talk about threshold, saturated senses and downsampling, not to explain your ideas; but to cover for the fact that according to your viewpoint people aren't reacting even though they are plainly sensing.

gmoran

m0dus said:
Don't consider my point anymore. I am retracting the issue, because I dropped this discussion a page ago. If I have failed to express it clearly enough, it is my failure as a debater, which I'm fine to take responsibility for.

Ok Modus. It will no longer be a matter of contention between us.

I believe that physics is not determined by the CPU reading the GPU's framebuffer.

Not to start another argument, but as a matter of clarification, I agree with you. I saw that you interpreted my post (10-18-2004, 03:32 PM) like that in your post: (10-18-2004, 06:50 PM), but it was a minor issue, so I didn't restate what I meant. I assume physics calcs take place in "world space", not in the rendering pipeline, which is logical; but devs make take short cuts that circumvent "world space".

Ranger X

Lock that shit already. It's the 10298401934235098th thread about 30 fps VS 60 fps (and it's just a detail, it's not making the game.)

No other game can cause this much comotion between PS2 Fans and Xbots like Gran Turismo!

And it's been like this since 2001, when GT3 was released...

Geez... we know GT looks amazing and all that... but you just have to admit that PGR 2 and RSC 2 destroy anything on the PS2 no questions asked!

As for Forza, I think it's going to surprise a lot of people!

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
but you just have to admit that PGR 2 and RSC 2 destroy anything on the PS2 no questions asked!

:lol

Well, we know what team you're on. Both games are inferior to GT3, let alone 4 on car modelling alone.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Modus said:
I believe that physics is not determined by the CPU reading the GPU's framebuffer. It is a conclusion that I have come to, based upon my experiences
It depends on the game, but yeah. Modern games often decouple game logic,physics etc. from screen update - but that separate update-rate is ultimately relevent to the accuracy of physics simulation(ie. an object will bounce a little differently if you vary update speed).
Obviously it still matters how many of those updates we can get to screen though.

Floyd

60 + of the posts in this thread are from Modus. I find that kinda terrifying hehe. The lengths you guys go too to win a pissing contest. Crazy.

I haven't been this freaked out since the dream i had where my dick fell off.

JMPovoa

I don't know what some people here are on, but GT3 looks dated. PGR2 does not look dated. And that is a fact, no matter what people want to pick up on.

Gek54

WhippinSean said:
And it's been like this since 2001, when GT3 was released...

You know it started back with the original Gran Turismo and in the begining it was a battle of GT VS. RidgeRacer.

thorns said:
GT3 looks better than PGR2 and RSC2 ?? WTF??

I could argue against PGR2 but RSC2 visuals are too good.

Gek54

m0dus said:
also, if the devs of Forza claim they are updating input from the controller at 180 samples per second, does that imply then that the physics model is equally as sensitive, as if it is registering all those inputs and updating the results at the same rate?

You would think those samples would be going to waste if the physics engine couldnt keep up. 180 times a second seems a bit excessive for anything.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
modus said:
By varying the update of the simulation with the screen update? say, if you updated your simulation at only 30 fps, it would by no means be as accurate as, say, 80 or 90, right?
So long as you are comparing the same simulation to itself, yes. Note however that different numerical integrators can make just as much difference to the accuracy and stability of the system as faster updates do. In other words, this rule generally doesn't apply when comparing different applications to one another.
Also I should mention that not all parts of the physics model may be running at the same rate either (our game varies parts from 60-240hz).

also, if the devs of Forza claim they are updating input from the controller at 180 samples per second, does that imply then that the physics model is equally as sensitive
I couldn't say it implies anything for sure - given that physics is probably running faster then 30 regardless, interpolated inputs from those discrete samples would probably work just as well as if they run in sync. But it's hard to say for a specific case without knowing more details.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
PGR2 has never looked 'photorealistic' in any sense. Barely did in screens that were designed to convey that, and never during my play time with it (I own the game). The modeling, frame rate and wonky physics kill it in the realism department.

PGR2 uses way more polys per car as well. A lot of the modeling is just...off.

RSC2 looks less photorealistic than RSC1 IMO, although it's still a gorgeous game. RSC1 just had that special something, that could fool you into thinking you were watching video footage rather than playing a game.

Now for those that have seen GT4 in action... Man! That sh!t looks reeeeeeeeeal [/S. Sosa]

FightyF

Banned
Fight For Freedom: Making bullshit statements has been your forte` not mine.

Post one.

Do it.

That said, I seem to have struck a few more nerves. Until next time*, fellow forum members. May the framerate be with you.

*A GT4 thread.

The only comment you made that struck a nerve with me is how you bring up that you're a "writer" and that somehow justifies all your non-sensical comments.

Gt4 does not use photos for textures.

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=16193&page=2

We were talking about the texturing of the game in general, from the cars to the bgs. And you bring up arguements how the skyboxes aren't photos...

Photos aren't made up of polygons and wouldn't have seams. Burns, doesn't it?

*LOL* Gotta shake my head at that one!

FightyF

Banned
I think you missed the point Gek. The terminology he's using is all mixed up. You are getting caught up in it too. A skybox is the sky. Many games to it differently. In GT4, as with most racing games, it's not modelled with polygons. What he may be trying to refer to is the far off distant bg, like the canyon, where it is modelled and textured.

Secondly, "photo" is not a term to describe anything used to make objects in 3D space. We were talking about how PD used photos as textures, with few changes to them, resulting in a photorealistic look (as they simplify the lighting and take all photos at the same time of day).

The whole statement is whack, that's what makes it so funny.

FightyF

Banned
The skyboxes are basically scrolling photos, btw. Unless the game features 3D clouds, which I doubt, that's how most racers do their skyboxes.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Fight for Freeform said:
The skyboxes are basically scrolling photos, btw.
I think he meant that skyboxes aren't photographed - most games use software generators for the sky (produces photorealistic results with far less effort then using photos would be).

And photo sourcing for other textures is common for all realistic looking games, GT isn't some special exception there. It's also common to do quite a bit of retouching work on those textures - just using photos "as is" rarely produces good looking results.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Fight for Freeform said:
The skyboxes are basically scrolling photos, btw. Unless the game features 3D clouds, which I doubt, that's how most racers do their skyboxes.

ps2_gt4_323.jpg

No. They're not. Photos wouldn't look like that.

Gek54

cany.jpg

As modus already pointed out. The skybox is not simply a scrolling photo but is actually modeled of textured polys. As far as what they use for textures, what does it matter if they use photos or create the textures from hand?

FightyF

Banned
I think he meant that skyboxes aren't photographed - most games use software generators for the sky (produces photorealistic results with far less effort then using photos would be).

Bah, AS's idiocy is contagious! I meant to say that they are scrolling pictures.

And photo sourcing for other textures is common for all realistic looking games, GT isn't some special exception there. It's also common to do quite a bit of retouching work on those textures - just using photos "as is" rarely produces good looking results.

As I said in that thread, it's not an exception. But what is interesting is that in other games where it is used as a reference, and changed to fit in different lighting conditions, GT's isn't changed that much (and by changed I mean changing the colors) as the lighting is constant pretty much. Compared to games such as FPS games, the lighting can change from hallway to hallway. In a game like GT, the developers realised that it's pretty much gonna be sunlit the whole way.

Gek, not all games do it that way, but upon taking a closer look at that high res pic, I can see blatant seams in the sky, it does look like a really low poly dome. I'm surprised they did it this way, seems inneffecient to me.

Top Bottom