• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRIDAYTON MK II: 5.5 million bears and salmon create unholy allliance to sack SONY HQ

Alright guys, can we just put down the swords and acknowledge that both systems will probably be fine? PC master race are still allowed to scoff.

Kinyou

I'm looking forward to the sequel to this:

cv0098lzorj.jpg

JABEE

But the PS4 was the console for gamers. Now it's in a similar boat as the Xbone. That's why everyone is freaking out.

Aka, reality has hit that all consoles need to be able to compete on a semi-even playing field. Sony not being able to match the OS level services of the Xbox would be a lot worse than the benefits they'd gain by giving devs a few more gigs of RAM.

Which again, brings more focus to the main issue which is that the specs of the console are almost completely irrelevant for all intents and purposes. Sony going this route proves that. If there was a tangible benefit to widening the gulf in game performance between the PS4 and the Xbone, then they wouldn't be allocating this much RAM for non gaming functions

Doesn't Sony already have a more powerful GPU? Isn't GDDR5 Ram a lot better than 3? I don't really know a lot about technical specifications, but there still looks to be a significant gulf in memory and GPU as it stands at the moment.

iceatcs

Oh it is all false then, oh well, all waste time. I do think they will find something new to pick on PS4 sooner.

Pimpbaa

Why do people think it's just ram that dictates the quality of graphics? I know some of my friends did this, they thought a video card with more ram was more powerful than one with less even if it had a vastly more powerful GPUs. The biggest difference in performance between the xb1 and ps4 is going to be between their GPUs. It's just now that games made for xb1 and ps4 will probably have the same resolution textures but the differences will be better framerates, resolution, and effects on the ps4.

Anyway I bet the ram reserved for the OS in both is far more than what is actually used to give them some flexibility with adding stuff and tinkering with the OS. And once they are happy with their OS feature sets they will work on reducing the footprint of the OSs in ram. Will also allow games to improve beyond just optimizations as more ram becomes available to developers over the course of next generation. Same thing happened this gen to a small degree (especially on the PS3). Still though, it's lame for BOTH of them to set aside that much ram for their OSs. I don't know about you guys but I don't have much interest in fancy OS features, I'm just interested in them making the best games possible with the hardware.

Which are exactly the people who are most likely to get your system on launch; which are exactly the people who parroted the '8 GB GDDR5' and the presumably 7GB for devs as a swaying reason to get the PS4.

Sony was happy to let that go on and not correct or divulge any further details about the allocation because it suited their image as being the gamer's choice and all that. And their silence on that front is also why now this news is met strongly by people. It would have been much less of a 'big deal' if Sony detailed the allocation X weeks after the console announcement.
But this is all in flux right now. The console isn't out, Sony is still working on the OS. We don't now how things will be at launch and Sony probably doesn't know either. That's why they allocated such a large amount, just to be safe. They probably asked the devs "Hey how much RAM do you need right now and in the near future?" They took that information and simply allocated the rest for the OS just in case. When the time comes that devs need more RAM, they will get it.

This is hard to explain to the common person, who will be always looking at the higher number without taking the time to understand the context. That's why Sony remained silent, because it doesn't matter to anyone working on the console and it would only confuse most people.

People deciding to use it as an argument to buy the PS4 over the XB1 still have their argument. PS4 still has the better RAM and the better GPU. At launch both systems are more even now then ever before. Over time PS4 will get to the same position of power like it would have with 7 GB of RAM for games right now. And the argument is still stupid. Most people are going to buy the PS4 over the XB1, because of the price, brand loyalty or games. The argument of power is a nice little extra for internet boards, but not many people take it that seriously.

Pistolero

5 GB is 10 times the amount they had in the PS3. I think it's enough RAM. Sony could always reduce the applications OS footprint down the road to gran developers another half-Gig or a complete Gig by the end of the generation.
People are worried for nothing...

CTLance

I just opened GAF and what is this

I mean, good to see GAF being GAF. I am so looking forward to the launch, it's gonna be glorious.

Courage

Do people realize how sufficient 4.5GB is for games as of now? Games running on high end PCs with insane resolutions can barely reach that.

Chobel

Ps4 has the same 1080p Shaders? Doesn't Titanfall require at least that much memory to make those shaders fit?

If it comes to Sony it will provably be sacrificed to only 60fps at 720p. That's ok, but I'll stick with the One imo

You must be trolling but really: did you see Titanfall?

prwxv3

The fact that Sony chose GDDR5 over DDR3 even when 4 GB was the only amount they could get at the time and they could have used a far a split memory setup that is much easier to produce proves Sony created a system for developers to makes games on primarily.

Saty

I can guarantee you that the majority of first day purchasers do not know or have any interest in RAM allocation.

Amount of RAM? Sure. But that allocation is a couple of steeps too deep.

Well, it was ultimately amount of RAM. 7GB vs 5GB reserved for games.

Yeah, but has nothing to do with any real or perceived loss of gaming capability. They are mad because they've lost one of their bragging points for their console of choice, or they have to eat a little crow from their MS fan friends. It's just a pissing content.
I agree but there is something to be said about Sony keeping mum and not going into detail alike how Microsoft's PR was criticized.

Yawnier

Banned
Do people realize how sufficient 4.5GB is for games as of now? Games running on high end PCs with insane resolutions can barely reach that.

I think the problem some people here see is less of a problem the amount of RAM will be right now at launch and for the first year particularly, but more possibly 3 or 4 years into the future when the PS4 hardware is probably going to start being pushed to it's limit.

kinggroin

Banned
Doesn't Sony already have a more powerful GPU? Isn't GDDR5 Ram a lot better than 3? I don't really know a lot about technical specifications, but there still looks to be a significant gulf in memory and GPU as it stands at the moment.

I thought the One uses 9 jB of slower memory. 3 jigabytes times 3 operating systems. When game is loaded, say for instance titanfall, it has 6 for the gaem since the only OS needed is the main one.

Plus, again, less memory on ps4 will mean two discs. Similar to how 360 works because it has less memory than ps3.

Courage

I think the problem some people here see is less of a problem the amount of RAM will be right now at launch and for the first year particularly, but more possibly 3 or 4 years into the future when the PS4 hardware is probably going to start being pushed to it's limit.

Isn't there a 2GB reserve? I highly doubt games are gonna need more than 6gb by the end of this generation.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So I guess my overclocked i5 with 8Gb of memory is going to be enough to keep up with next gen machines for a good couple of years.

prwxv3

Well, it was ultimately amount of RAM. 7GB vs 5GB reserved for games.

I agree but there is something to be said about Sony keeping mum and not going into detail alike how Microsoft's PR was criticized.

They were critiqued for pr over DRM, something that effects the consumer directly. RAM allocation(unless its absurd like only 1 GB for games) does not effect consumers as much as fucking drm does.

But the PS4 was the console for gamers. Now it's in a similar boat as the Xbone. That's why everyone is freaking out.

Aka, reality has hit that all consoles need to be able to compete on a semi-even playing field across all features. Sony not being able to match the OS level services of the Xbox would be a lot worse than the benefits they'd gain by giving devs a few more gigs of RAM.

Which again, brings more focus to the main issue which is that the specs of the console are almost completely irrelevant for all intents and purposes. Sony going this route proves that. If there was a tangible benefit to widening the gulf in game performance between the PS4 and the Xbone, then they wouldn't be allocating this much RAM for non gaming functions

Yup, that's what I am afraid of now, hope I'm really wrong.

Chobel

I thought the One uses 9 jB of slower memory. 3 jigabytes times 3 operating systems. When game is loaded, say for instance titanfall, it has 6 for the gaem since the only OS needed is the main one.

Plus, again, less memory on ps4 will mean two discs. Similar to how 360 works because it has less memory than ps3.

WTF!!?

Uh wow look at this idiot who doesn't know what they're talking about. TITANFALL IS RAM OKAY JESUS

Wynnebeck

Banned
Some of you need to be slapped in the face with a large salmon over your ignorance. This whole thing has been much ado over nothing.

Valnen

LOL.It is False.That's the beauty of the end of this story.

Oh, and the press republishing the same crap is pretty amusing.

I've been watching your post history and you have yet to prove these statements. Pretending you know something when you don't isn't looked upon well here. You keep saying you have insider info and that it's false but you're not providing any sort of information to back your statements up.

It is fun I have to admit. There are a small number of very vocal Sony fans who will be eating some crow. I never trust these companies.

So has Sony commented on this yet?
You guys have been waiting for Sony fans to eat crow since February, you'd think you'd learn by now. You Microsoft fans are some true die hards

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

Are you having a seizure atm?

Saty

People deciding to use it as an argument to buy the PS4 over the XB1 still have their argument. PS4 still has the better RAM and the better GPU. At launch both systems are more even now then ever before. Over time PS4 will get to the same position of power like it would have with 7 GB of RAM for games right now. And the argument is still stupid. Most people are going to buy the PS4 over the XB1, because of the price, brand loyalty or games. The argument of power is a nice little extra for internet boards, but not many people take it that seriously.

Yes, but those people were under the impression that the PS4 will have ~2GB more for games. A notion Sony wasn't in any hurry to dispel (which is my issue with this news, not anything else).

If these same people are able to think into the future, then why aren't they thinking about the potential of decreasing OS footprint once essential services are established down the line?

Top Bottom