• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRIDAYTON MK II: 5.5 million bears and salmon create unholy allliance to sack SONY HQ

KAL2006

Banned
People are just overacting to nothing. Sony reduce the PS3 OS footprint from around 150MB to around 50MB. Down the road, more RAM will be available to the developers as Sony reduce the PS4 memory footprint.
Sure more RAM is better, but that doesn't mean it will it will make a bad game into a good game.

If the RAM gets reduced from the OS footprint, then I don't have a problem, the sooner it gets reduced the better, as I want games to take advantage of mor RAM as early as possible.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Like any console game, it leaves much to be desired in terms of visuals. Between the aliasing and blurry textures on various objects in the environment, it was definitely a console game. A high quality one, sure. But it's not perfect.

To the people who disagree with me, are you suggesting that the graphics were perfect and couldn't be improved in any way?

Of course it isn't perfect. But I'd be bold enough to say that it is the best looking, most varied, visually ambitious game on consoles.

My PS3 died last year, I bought this game and bought a PS3 just to play it. Can't say I was disappointed. This is coming from someone who has a gaming PC and is used to maxing out multiplats, etc.

Also, I don't think the aliasing was very bad either. The game is very well made for a 720 ptitle, using split memory.
One of the few console games that does not hurt my eyes.

Mung

1280x720 to 1920x1080 is huge.

Some people are going to be shocked when they play these new consoles on their 1080p TVs.

Sure, but if you take a game like Wipeout HD the resolution difference isn't going to be significant right? So Wipeout ps4 (RIP Sony Liverpool) would be able to focus purely on image quality... That's my basic thinking anyway.

I this thread I learned:-

Neogaf have some posters that are clearly hypocrites. I have argued against a Sony bias for a while but now im unsure

People actually want the TvTvTv functions of The X1, the messaging was just wrong (Something which has been said from day one)

Sony have not changed their policy of giving with one hand and taking with another. Every Sony product I own, while On par and mostly better than its peers as at least one limitation that is absoultely rage inducing.

Everyone has forgotten how the promise of extra power has never been tapped in simlar consoles by the majority of developers ever. If its not there from Day 1, its not there at all.

That people are far far married to brands than their own pockets.

Whatever. I am a man of princple. If i criticise Microsoft for something, im not going to pretend its not a problem when Sony does it. Im out. Next gen can wait till its at a similar entry price as I got into this generation. If we have to wait till years 2 or 3 before we see games that take full advantage of PS4 hardware, then Ill wait 2 or 3 years. Im not going to put down hard earn cash on something that is less siginficant in abilty than previously advertised. Im nobodies mug.
tumblr_mk9efg_Rr_X11r0ftodo1_250.gif

No problem. Maybe it'll get you to stop and start typing something that adds to the discussion.
tumblr_mk9efg_Rr_X11r0ftodo1_250.gif

calm down brah

glenn8

Banned
I can already see 1280x720 games to get more content filling up the ram

Yet I am here, with a 4k monitor while the wind blows through my long shiny hair

jayu26

Thread summary so far...

Article was suppose to go up last night, but eurogamer decide to wait on Sony's comments.
Article goes up today without comments.
3.5GB of ram reversed for OS, if devs want they can get extra 1GB.
Gaf acts like Gaf.
Xbots rejoice.
#TeamCreny break their tubs.
Ign reports it as rumor.
Awesome ram gifs.
People start cancelling their PS4 pre-oders.
Couple of bans (who did not see that coming).
Couple of devs (including Naughty Gods) face palm on twitter.
Still waiting on Sony's official comments.

And this awesome post.
Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about RAM (I'm an expert), but the amount that is useable for devs and OS are huge parts of it. It's not like it is with Microsoft where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw gamers over regarding RAM availability, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the gaming public and devs, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase a PS4 or develop for it, they will buy a Xbox One instead which has more RAM available for games. This is HUGE (just like the amount of RAM available for gaming of the XB1 compared to the PS4). You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated the entire market with this move.

It's over, period. Sony lost their last ace, and that's the end of their PS4 hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for PS4. Sony has nothing left, nothing they have can fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for anyone, hardcore or casual, to substantially invest in a PS4. Except if they want to play Driveclub. Which will suck because it won't be using 8GB of that glorious GDDR5.

Sony themselves took the last reason away that anyone would NEED to own a PS4 over a Xbox One (except GAIKAI CLOUD LOL GAMING), and the cavalcade of tiny indie titles that will be nice but won't add more RAM, it's just simply not going to salvage the bloated, underdesigned midget that is the PS4

There may be some hardcore gamers that stick around. Some did it for Gamecube too. But the last bell tolled. Maybe next decade.

The age of Sony is done.

Did I miss anything?

That actually is surprising and not boring news like we thought yesterday, everyone assumed it would be just 1GB. I'm not broken up from the news personally.

Daingurse

I don't know how much the rest of you know about RAM (I'm an expert), but the amount that is useable for devs and OS are huge parts of it. It's not like it is with Microsoft where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw gamers over regarding RAM availability, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the gaming public and devs, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase a PS4 or develop for it, they will buy a Xbox One instead which has more RAM available for games. This is HUGE (just like the amount of RAM available for gaming of the XB1 compared to the PS4). You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated the entire market with this move.

It's over, period. Sony lost their last ace, and that's the end of their PS4 hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for PS4. Sony has nothing left, nothing they have can fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for anyone, hardcore or casual, to substantially invest in a PS4. Except if they want to play Driveclub. Which will suck because it won't be using 8GB of that glorious GDDR5.

Sony themselves took the last reason away that anyone would NEED to own a PS4 over a Xbox One (except GAIKAI CLOUD LOL GAMING), and the cavalcade of tiny indie titles that will be nice but won't add more RAM, it's just simply not going to salvage the bloated, underdesigned midget that is the PS4

There may be some hardcore gamers that stick around. Some did it for Gamecube too. But the last bell tolled. Maybe next decade.

The age of Sony is done.

CaptainAmericaUnderstoodThatReference.gif

I can't stop watching, I tried leaving... I just can't ><

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

Hmmm I thought I read somewhere on this thread that 5.5 is for 1st party only, I could have miss read it, forgive me if I was wrong, no harm intended.

But that goes against what cerny was talking about, when Sony had the attitude that they were going to be better than third party devs at the launch of ps3 and with the ice team and cerny says that attitude was completely wrong of them. Why would they now keep 1gb of ram away from third party devs and use it themselves?

This whole article sounds fishy.

Sianos

Can someone quantify how big of a deal this RAM business is for real? Actual metrics and comparisons would be nice, but I'd appreciate Gamecube and anime analogies as well.

amr

Banned

Neogaf have some posters that are clearly hypocrites. I have argued against a Sony bias for a while but now im unsure

People actually want the TvTvTv functions of The X1, the messaging was just wrong (Something which has been said from day one)

Sony have not changed their policy of giving with one hand and taking with another. Every Sony product I own, while On par and mostly better than its peers as at least one limitation that is absoultely rage inducing.

Everyone has forgotten how the promise of extra power has never been tapped in simlar consoles by the majority of developers ever. If its not there from Day 1, its not there at all.

Whatever. I am a man of princple. If i criticise Microsoft for something, im not going to pretend its not a problem when Sony does it. Im out. Next gen can wait till its at a similar entry price as I got into this generation. If we have to wait till years 2 or 3 before we see games that take full advantage of PS4 hardware, then Ill wait 2 or 3 years. Im not going to put down hard earn cash on something that is less siginficant in abilty than previously advertised. Im nobodies mug.
AVu0dts.gif

darkwing

Thread summary so far...

Article was suppose to go up last night, but eurogamer decide to wait on Sony's comments.
Gaf acts like Gaf.
Xbots rejoice.
Ign reports it as rumor.
Awesome ram gifs.
And this awesome post.

Did I miss anything?

you forgot the rams

The age of Sony is done.

At ease, Sergeant... at ease.

Take a little R & R. Your work here is done.
Well done. :)

so gooood

Ugh, this thread...

The following is the top post on the IGN story (which has reached 9,000+ comments) about this (altered slightly to fit my needs). It sums up how I feel quite well.

Wow. Just wow. I read through more and more of the comments. I'm ashamed to be a gamer sometimes. We went from 512 MB of RAM giving us a great console like the Playstation 3, and yet 4.5-5.5GB of RAM dedicated to a console gaming experience ruins it for you guys?

Said it once, I'll say it again:

This generation cares more about what's under the hood in graphics and RAM and processors and all this other bull when it's more about what kind of experiences we're provided with. Final Fantasy VII was hardly a beautiful game to look at (especially now) but it's loved for so many reasons. Even Call of Duty has solid shooting aspects. Halo 3 and Halo 4 are beautiful games on the Xbox 360. What the hell happened to you guys? I don't remember hearing about the battle for better graphics and getting mad when SO MUCH OF IT IS STILL BEING USED FOR GREAT GAMES WHEN COMPARED TO THE OLD DAYS.

RAM is used for the sake of temporary memory, making multi-tasking nicer. That's not what you're doing in a game often. The graphics cards and the processor play a bigger part in your performance. Why do I say that? Because with PS3 only having 512 MB of RAM, we got amazing games.

Gamers are the real problem now. I'm so disappointed in you guys.

For any of you older gamers who have lost their way, shame on you. For any of you younger gamers, you got a lot of searching to do before you realize what you're supposed to be thinking about when it comes to a VIDEO GAME console.

Disclaimer, I'm 34.

Good day, and good lord guys... Just. Gah.

TheHater

Thread summary so far...

Gaf acts like Gaf.
Xbots rejoice.
Ign reports it as rumor.
Awesome ram gifs.

And this awesome post.

Did I miss anything?
yeah you did....To some, more RAM means bad game will be good games because of morz ramz

Dennis

Banned
Thread summary so far...

Gaf acts like Gaf.
Xbots rejoice.
Ign reports it as rumor.
Awesome ram gifs.
And this awesome post.

Did I miss anything?
No mention of my "first I was like this..." ram macro

No mention of my successful defense of Naughty Dogs honor

Yeah, you failed.

i-Lo

At this point, if console exclusives aren't your thing, gaming PC just became more lucrative; the true jack of all trades.

For an individual who has preordered 14 games for PS4, I now wonder whether I did the sensible thing. Then again, I'm a fan of some of Sony's first party outputs. So perhaps the investment may pay off eventually.

iNvid02

i think i should thank deafmutes for not outright banning me when i was suffering from troll syndrome

amr

Banned
This thread got so crazy a minute ago that people were saying The Last of Us was an ugly game.

That's how crazy this thread got. I'm glad we're past that.

Sianos

Thread summary so far...

Gaf acts like Gaf.
Xbots rejoice.
Ign reports it as rumor.
Awesome ram gifs.

And this awesome post.

Did I miss anything?

I suppose I'll let my delicious ram png be classified as a gif, but WAIT A SECOND IT UPLOADED AS A JPEG WHAT THE FUCK IMGUR :\

Gorillaz

So catching up with the thread

This belief that RAM shouldn't be put to the side for OS reasons is hilarious. PS3 got fucked up on that front and that would be a nightmare for sony to get put in a position again where they have to go "uh uh yea we didn't future proof it enough to add x features" which is what happened when cross game chat was first announced for 360. Its all bout being an all purpose device

It's still a console for gamers and even the features they're developing are oriented around gamers (multitasking, recording videos, livestreaming etc.)

Not sure why I would be multitasking while I'm playing a game, would just break the immersion, but as long as it won't affect the games down the line I'll be ok.

Top Bottom