• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRIDAYTON MK II: 5.5 million bears and salmon create unholy allliance to sack SONY HQ

FZZ

Banned
Everyone in this thread is worried about the RAM and whatnot, and I'm here wondering how many bits this console can push.

At this point, if console exclusives aren't your thing, gaming PC just became more lucrative; the true jack of all trades.

For an individual who has preordered 14 games for PS4, I now wonder whether I did the sensible thing. Then again, I'm a fan of some of Sony's first party outputs. So perhaps the investment may pay off eventually.
Ffs, the games are just as good looking today as they were yesterday. Calm down.

I this thread I learned:-

Neogaf have some posters that are clearly hypocrites. I have argued against a Sony bias for a while but now im unsure

People actually want the TvTvTv functions of The X1, the messaging was just wrong (Something which has been said from day one)

Sony have not changed their policy of giving with one hand and taking with another. Every Sony product I own, while On par and mostly better than its peers as at least one limitation that is absoultely rage inducing.

Everyone has forgotten how the promise of extra power has never been tapped in simlar consoles by the majority of developers ever. If its not there from Day 1, its not there at all.

That people are far far married to brands than their own pockets.

Whatever. I am a man of princple. If i criticise Microsoft for something, im not going to pretend its not a problem when Sony does it. Im out. Next gen can wait till its at a similar entry price as I got into this generation. If we have to wait till years 2 or 3 before we see games that take full advantage of PS4 hardware, then Ill wait 2 or 3 years. Im not going to put down hard earn cash on something that is less siginficant in abilty than previously advertised. Im nobodies mug.

my lord these kinds of meltdowns are what insane threads like this are all about. :}

PS4 is vastly superior and digital foundry comparisons will reflect this. There is no area where x1 has an advantage.

I don't understand tech specs that well

Could you define how it is vastly superior? To me and I'm possibly wrong but when I see the word vastly I see a Wii U - PS4 difference aka a gen leap

Xbudz

No problem. Maybe it'll get you to stop and start typing something that adds to the discussion.

I was being sarcastic. It's cool though, I wanted to post it in reply to something as it was meant for. I created it on request- so you need to relax and just keep focusing on this thread. Don't worry about me :)

tumblr_mk9efg_Rr_X11r0ftodo1_250.gif

tumblr_mk9efg_Rr_X11r0ftodo1_250.gif

calm down brah

Outside of stupid gifs do you have something to argue? because if you do, lets hear it. Why should I buy on day one the same console that is now more limited in in scope than known previously? I dont want a Media box. I want a games console.

my lord these kinds of meltdowns are what insane threads like this are all about. :}

Only if you in terms of immature console warrior bullshit.Im making an informed decision as a consumer. Nothing more or less.

And if the theoretical cap is only 5.5, that's not a big enough jump. We don't need 2.5GB of worthless UI nonsense. I'd rather have a damn command prompt if it means the games are better.
No dude. The reserved 1GB is there immediately once devs need it. It is intended for immediate use. Over time Sony will get the footprint down for the OS as well and move all the new available RAM over to gaming too. Last but not least when the time comes and Sony doesn't need to worry about future-proofing anymore, they can move the rest of the 1GB OS reserve over to gaming as well. When it is all said and done I expect 6.5 GB for games and 1.5 GB for the OS. This is very reasonable.

4.5 not 5.5 what is the 1gb debugging thing even mean? I thought PS4 had dev kits why would you need a gig for debugging? This makes no sense just like my attempt at a sentence.
Devs need additional memory to debug their games. PS4 devkits apparently only have 8GB for now, because GDDR5 memory is expensive. So if dev want to debug their game they need some of that memory, so they can't use it for the game itself. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to debug the game lol

Whatever. I am a man of princple. If i criticise Microsoft for something, im not going to pretend its not a problem when Sony does it. Im out. Next gen can wait till its at a similar entry price as I got into this generation. If we have to wait till years 2 or 3 before we see games that take full advantage of PS4 hardware, then Ill wait 2 or 3 years. Im not going to put down hard earn cash on something that is less siginficant in abilty than previously advertised. Im nobodies mug.

It was going to take 2 or 3 years to see what the hardware can do no matter what .
Devs having access to more than 5.5 GB of ram right away was not going to change that and if think otherwise you were dreaming .

TheD

The Detective
Uhh, why the fuck does a console OS need 3.5 (or 3) GB of RAM???
Android and ios devices make do with 1GB of RAM and they have similar capabilities as what the consoles have shown!

amr

Banned
5.5 GB of GDDR5 RAM instead of 7 GB of GDDR5 RAM.

Does the PS4 even play games anymore? Can such a weak system even play video games?

Sianos

As a PC gamer, I know that spending loads of money on the bleeding edge and having the biggest numbers makes you the best, but what is the real impact of Sony butchering two and a half RAMs?

Any decrease is bad, but on a scale of overreaction to betraylton, how big of a deal are these RAMs?

kevm3

It amazes me how many people are forgetting that the OS can be streamlined and optimized to use less RAM, which is what they did on PS3. Do any of you honestly think Sony won't attempt to optimize the OS as the generation goes on?

If the OS is so horribly unoptimized as to require 3.5 GB of RAM, that's a problem. With that much RAM being blocked off, we should have a 3d interface along the lines of something akin to Home, but much better that we log in to. At least the 3GB of RAM being blocked off on the One is being used for something. People ridiculed the One for MS blocking off so much RAM and not being game-oriented, so Sony deserves just as much, and in my opinion, MORE criticism for actually blocking off more RAM and not doing anything of note with it. The one is kinect integrated, has all the DVR functionality and is running 3 OSs... so it at least is being used for a purpose, which I don't particularly care for as I'd rather have those resources be available for games. What has Sony shown that could possibly take up 3.5, much less 2 GB of RAM in the OS?

Actually now that I think about it, I bet it has something to do with recording the last 15 minutes of gameplay. That's the only that I can think of. Honestly, I don't think the trade-off would be worth it.

No dude. The reserved 1GB is there immediately once devs need it. It is intended for immediate use. Over time Sony will get the footprint down for the OS as well and move all the new available RAM over to gaming too. Last but not least when the time comes and Sony doesn't need to worry about future-proofing anymore, they can move the rest of the 1GB OS reserve over to gaming as well. When it is all said and done I expect 6.5 GB for games and 1.5 GB for the OS. This is very reasonable.

Here's hoping. It's still just such a "wind out of the sails" moment to have such an easily explained advantage taken away, even if it can be recovered from later.

I'll still obviously get a PS4 once there are worthwhile games on the damn thing (was never actually planning to get one this year because of the abysmal launch lineup), but just from people's reactions in this thread it seems like Sony just burned through a chunk of goodwill.

That what I want to know. Don't Sony use a UNIX base OS for the PlayStation?
It is not the OS itself that needs the memory. It is the potential scenario that a user is playing a game, streaming it to Vita, recording it, downloading the rest of the game data while playing and using Skype and a browser at the same time.

I this thread I learned:-

Neogaf have some posters that are clearly hypocrites. I have argued against a Sony bias for a while but now im unsure

People actually want the TvTvTv functions of The X1, the messaging was just wrong (Something which has been said from day one)

Sony have not changed their policy of giving with one hand and taking with another. Every Sony product I own, while On par and mostly better than its peers as at least one limitation that is absoultely rage inducing.

Everyone has forgotten how the promise of extra power has never been tapped in simlar consoles by the majority of developers ever. If its not there from Day 1, its not there at all.

That people are far far married to brands than their own pockets.

Everything in this entire post is so wrong and off the mark.

amr

Banned
Here's hoping. It's still just such a "wind out of the sails" moment to have such an easily explained advantage taken away, even if it can be recovered from later.
Easily explained?

If you tried to explain this to a regular consumer, you'd get about halfway through saying "GDDR5," and they'd be at home playing Uncharted 4.

Outside of stupid gifs do you have something to argue? because if you do, lets hear it. Why should I buy on day one the same console that is now more limited in in scope than known previously? I dont want a Media box. I want a games console.

Only if you in terms of immature console warrior bullshit.Im making an informed decision as a consumer. Nothing more or less.
Do you actually understand the implications at hand or are you just jumping on the Chicken Little FUD train with the rest of the misinformed gamers in this thread?

OryoN

Doesn't Sony already have a more powerful GPU? Isn't GDDR5 Ram a lot better than 3? I don't really know a lot about technical specifications, but there still looks to be a significant gulf in memory and GPU as it stands at the moment.

And for all that, I don't think there will ever be a point where the average gamer will look at both systems and and think: "Wow, PS4 is way more powerful than XB1!".
The fact that the 'weaker' and yet 'more difficult to program' console(according to Mark Cerny's own breakdown on architectural choice differences) is holding it's own pretty well, should be a reminder that there's a whole lot more to performance than raw theoretical numbers.

Once you've crossed a certain threshold - as both of these consoles have - you're going to need a whole lot more than 50% more raw power to show a significant difference on screen. In fact, I predict that the best exclusive games on both consoles will generally stand head-to-head, and 5 yrs down the line, the bulk of PS-GAF will keep insisting: "That major graphical leap over XB1 is coming... just wait... any day now... "

bigmf

I feel like Doc Brown should be running around this thread, grabbing his (small bandaged) head crying "Three point five zero jiggabytes!"

Maybe I should go make a gif.

Prologue

Anything more than 6 ddr5 for gaming is a bad design decision. This console is going to last us a decade. Just look how the OS changed with the 360 over the course of this generation. The extra gig reserved for the OS needs to be there just incase significant implementations are made into the OS.

Top Bottom