• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop 2011+ |OT3| Look out for OT4 before Detox (dat sh!t cray)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recon

Banned
Pretty much. Jeezy did the most with the least radio last year.

Also, Flockaveli is somewhat of a modern blueprint for crunk southern rap. It will go down in the history books, like it or not.

It really wont. No one gives a shit about Flocka besides a few random internet posters and some dudes in the hood.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Listening to WZRD now and it dawned on me.. I don't listen to music from any genre outside of hip-hop/rap. It's not that I don't enjoy any songs from other genres, if I'm exposed to a certain song, I do, it's just that I don't consciously have any interest in finding music from other genres. Possibly because I'm always pre-occupied with rap releases, but I don't know the real reason why. Anyone in the same boat?

Recon

Banned
Listening to WZRD now and it dawned on me.. I don't listen to music from any genre outside of hip-hop/rap. It's not that I don't enjoy any songs from other genres, if I'm exposed to a certain song, I do, it's just that I don't consciously have any interest in finding music from other genres. Possibly because I'm always pre-occupied with rap releases, but I don't know the real reason why. Anyone in the same boat?

I listen to a bunch of different genres. But that is just the music fan in me. I love all types. With that said, I dont seek out much new music because of the amount of hip hop that is coming out, i dont have time. I was just exposed to M83 this year. I am several years behind in regards to other genres.

overcast

I can see why, it's difficult to keep up. I do it though, I balance genres pretty well, and I love plenty of different types.

It keeps everything I cycle fresh. I haven't been feeling rap the past 2 months or so, aside from Habits and Contradictions to be honest.

That's kind of like me. I actually do enjoy a lot of non-rap songs but if someone were to mention a singer/band chances are I wouldn't have heard of them despite them giving me a song and me liking it

How old are you?

SoilBreak

Banned
Also in the same boat along with enzo.

Used to be able to keep track of other music genres, but for the past two years, I've only kept up with hip-hop/rap releases.

DominoKid

blogs make it way easy to keep up with shit. i usually spend my lunch checking out new artists and shit like that (i eat too of course)

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
19. What difference does that make? I've had conscious interest in keeping up with different genres in the past (oh god Linkin Park phase), but right now I only keep up with hip-hop releases.

age has a lot to do with it man. like it's not a bad thing being young, but trust me (and other older guys will say the same), you definitely grow up with all music and it's all going to be filtered in and out of your life, whether you like it or not. The adults that really get stuck in one genre, the ones that only listen to "classic" rock or can't quite move past their classical "snobbery" are the ones that I see that haven't really grown up to appreciate everything around them.

Don't stress about it too much, I was the same at that age, except with Prog Rock/Metal... then I think that's about when I started to really branch of and my musical spectrum just became some weird creature where I listen to everything and appreciate it by what it offers.

Recon

Banned
How old are you?

Okay, after listening to WZRD several times, I think it is a solid 7/10. Has a couple tracks that wouldnt feel out of place on MOTM1. But the production is a mess on some tracks, and so is Cudi's wailing. Brake was probably the worst Cudi track I have heard besides Perfect Is The Word. Still better than the mumblings of MOTM2. I hope Cudi starts smoking again and decides to actually record A Man Named Scott. Probably the only thing that would ever get me hyped for Cudi again.

My interest in other genres only really blossomed with age too, it wasn't really a conscious decision either but now I only listen to hip-hop sporadically (hence my just now posting about a 2010 release!) but a few years ago it was all I listened too all day every day.

That's the case for me too, the only thing I have an 'intimate' knowledge of; past and upcoming releases, who's hot etc. is hip hop. I don't listen to it as much as I used to; started branching out a lot lately. Still keep my ear to the streets though, which basically involves this thread and the last few pages of 2dopeboyz.com

Every other genre I just float through. Pandora stations + Spotify all day

goodfella

I am exactly the same.

Other than a few select artists, all I listen to is hiphop. At least there is get such a wide variety of music within the genre though, like WZRD.

For me at least, I took quite a long time to find sources I can use to keep up with all the hip hop releases, and see the reactions to the music. Honestly, I used to lurk this thread all the time when I was a non-member, so that helped me a lot. (thanks!)

Now that I am a member, I have found a couple of good blogs that suit the quantity of music I want. I think that is what it comes down to really, just finding a decent blog or community to get you started.

It's unfortunate that there are no other music threads that come close to this one.

Recon

Banned
That's the case for me too, the only thing I have an 'intimate' knowledge of past and upcoming releases, who's hot etc. is hip hop. I don't listen to it as much as I used, started branching out a lot lately but I still keep my ear to the streets.

Every other genre I just float through. Pandora stations + Spotify all day

Pandora is great for finding new artists. I usually make a station of some band I like and it does a pretty good job of finding stuff similar.

Kusagari

Listened to WZRD...it's not really bad as it is forgettable. There are a few key moments on each track where it makes me think the project could have worked, but then it goes back to being samey soundy. Cudi did do a decent job with most of the choruses though. It's the in-between that is just... 'there' most of the time.

DominoKid

Apparently, there's some All Star Basketball game going on and J. Cole missed a real easy lay up? My boy called me to tell me.

I need .gifs.

he's missed two so far. and he cant dunk even though he's like 6'2"

i thought he was supposed to be good at basketball. guess that's why its the Sideline Story.

i wish Cam'ron was still famous so he could play in one of these.

Recon

Banned
Lol. I just keep seeing it updated saying the same exact things that are being said in the NBA thread. I keep thinking it might be music discussion..but no.. Did not mean anything harsh by it.

nns3d

Take this shit to the NBA thread. No need for two threads saying the same things.

KvqvQ.jpg

DominoKid

i guess he raped everybody on twitter too cause "Damn J. Cole" is hot right now.

you cant base the whole concept of your persona around basketball and then suck at it and not expect to get clowned. shit Kevin Hart's short ass is better than him.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
i guess he raped everybody on twitter too cause "Damn J. Cole" is hot right now.

you cant base the whole concept of your persona around basketball and then suck at it and not expect to get clowned. shit Kevin Hart's short ass is better than him.

Well, he also claims to be a rapper, and he sucks at that too, so this is just par for the course for Jermaine.

Recon

Banned
Signing Shakira seems like a great move when you see Cash Money signed Limp Bizkit...It is as if Baby wants me to somehow take his label even less seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom