• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Been thinking about this a bit today, why didn't K.R.I.T. blow up?
- Very consistent
- Decent debut album
- Decent debut single
- Son can spit doe
- Son also got jamz

Basically, I don't get how Wale is still on but this dude isn't. Did the GaGa single really do that much for him?

Does KRIT just not have a core fanbase? Is Def Jam really to blame? Is his appeal really that stunted by his accent? Combination thereof? My brother wouldn't even listen to a single song from him once he started rapping.

I'll type up a few reasons why in a bit, but I will say that GaGa single was a complete flop and had nothing to do with Wale still being in the industry.

It was his verse off Waka's No Hands and dropping a mixtape around the same time that song blew up is what gave him a 2nd chance.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
52kIF.png

I just think they really had no clue what to do with Krit. There really wasn't anybody at the time who was as big as him with the retro rap. The closest that comes to it is Joey Badass and he isn't signed to a major label. You know the only song I ever heard of Krit on the radio in both TN and TX is Country Shit? What's even worse is that places like Houston I hear them play old school shit ALL THE TIME? Seems completely odd to me.

Oh and Def Jam really failed on letting KRIT release Good 2gether on his last mixtape. I wouldn't mind driving to work in the morning and hearing that song on the radio. It's such a feel good track. They also should be trying to capitalize off his name even being mentioned in that Kendrick verse.

Macca

Krit will get his big single eventually, he's too consistent not to. Maybe when some of the shit he did with MikeWill comes out.

- Very consistent
- Decent debut album
- Decent debut single
- Son can spit doe
- Son also got jamz

Basically, I don't get how Wale is still on but this dude isn't. Did the GaGa single really do that much for him?

Does KRIT just not have a core fanbase? Is Def Jam really to blame? Is his appeal really that stunted by his accent? Combination thereof? My brother wouldn't even listen to a single song from him once he started rapping.

1) He's unattractive (to these girls in 2013; the chocolate brother is handsome enough to me pause) and thus struggles with the female demographic

2) His music sounds rather dated compared to traditional mainstream music

3) He's not a good songwriter. I like KRIT but he has struggled with choruses since he appeared on the scene. Every now and then he hits the jackpot - ie Country Shit or Multi Till The Sun Die - only to waste it on a mixtape.

4) He's hamstrung by heavily sample based production. His first album sucked largely due to being unable to clear samples. This leads to his mixtapes having a variety of songs that should be on his album (most recently Good 2Getha, arguably a top 5 song of this year).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Krit will get his big single eventually, he's too consistent not to. Maybe when some of the shit he did with MikeWill comes out.
I think the single isn't the problem for sure. He's had way too many jams that have the *potential* to appeal to a large fanbase. they just won't. They just won't. He's got some cap that prevents him from blowing up.

I don't think his jams being on mixtapes instead of albums changes anything either, there's been ton of big dogs today that have blown up off of mixtapes and word of mouth. The (for lack of better words) substance is there, the appeal just isn't. If that makes sense.

I maintain that if he released Good 2getha as a single with say...Kelly Rowland or Ciara on the hook instead of an American Idol reject he'd have something. He makes bad, Nas-esque decisions with his shit IMO. Obviously a lot of it has to do with sample clearance but there are ways to get around that (by reworking the track).

I will keep hopes until his 2nd album drop. Him working with Rick Ross, Mike Will, going on tour with Macklemore and other stuff(like the Spike Lee video). Hopefully it does better than the first

KRIT flopping really showed that "building a fanbase" really means "getting women to buy your shit." KRIT has a fanbase, the problem is that it's a bunch of male hip hop heads and hipsters.

What are some good tracks to listen with Rainy Mood?

I've partnered it up with Nujabes most of the time and that was always a good listen.

Listening to it with Banana Clip Theory, and it goes fairly well with the jazzy beat.

Just seen that Amber Rose twerk video..
noah.png

Macca

I will keep hopes until his 2nd album drop. Him working with Rick Ross, Mike Will, going on tour with Macklemore and other stuff(like the Spike Lee video). Hopefully it does better than the first
KRIT would fit in reeeeal nice in MMG. They've shown they can work multiple lanes and still sell.

I mean shit, it's not like gunplay is ever going to put an album out.

Kwixotik

I've partnered it up with Nujabes most of the time and that was always a good listen.

Listening to it with Banana Clip Theory, and it goes fairly well with the jazzy beat.

noah.png

Rainy Mood and Nujabes... I know what I'm doing for the rest of the night

Macca

noah.png
Gyakuten Meets Jazz Soul (Turnabout Jazz Soul). It's like Jazz versions of the Ace Attorney soundtracks. Damn good. Think someone on GAF made a thread about it or something with Rainy Mood and I've listened to it ever since.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMnrl0tmd3k

Esch

Banned
- Very consistent
- Decent debut album
- Decent debut single
- Son can spit doe
- Son also got jamz

-bitches dont like him
-repetitive subject matter
-starting to sound samey

He should have stayed on the Wuz Here path; everything after was too feely and self conscious. And that's fine when you combine it with the simp J. Cole shit and overall present yourself as a pussy, but KRIT doesn't.

Esch

Banned
The real issue is that KRIT doesn't want to be a pop artist in his heart of hearts. He doesn't want to pander to anyone really.

Macca

The real issue is that KRIT doesn't want to be a pop artist in his heart of hearts. He doesn't want to pander to anyone really.
Yep, don't think KRIT has it in him to make a Roll Up or something. Wiz was smart as hell to follow up Black and Yellow with that.

IrishNinja

uncle irish ninja it warms my heart to read this. you saw a really great show which i will never get the chance to witness in person most likely.

i'm seeing NIN in November, quite excited.

by the way - enjoy the show, man! and yeah it was pretty crazy there, i think the drummer blew manson on stage at the end of the set, which a like 15/16 year old ninja was not ready for. i tried spinning that into a thing with the chick that brought me, who laughed it off like "you're so crazy" which turns into "haha yeah... (you totally should tho)"

Hype for dat killiah priest and ghost face album

the what now

Just blaze said he has his album on his phone. He also said in the Breakfast Club interview Exhibit C wouldn't have come out unless he had leaked it.

damn, so what, we're basically waiting for dude to get drunk enough to just say fuggit and drop his shit already? this is lookin like an inside joke thing

Its crazy listening to Liquid Swords and hearing Killah Priests BIBLE song at the end, then listening to him putting out dope shit 18 years later

+1 strongly

eh i love dude but i dunno, esha might be right about him not wanting that cole lane...i have no idea how he'd fit in with MMG tho

Berserk just got kind of homoerotic

edit: I can see why PP liked it

hahaha...i recall the manga being less...sublte at parts

KRIT flopping really showed that "building a fanbase" really means "getting women to buy your shit." KRIT has a fanbase, the problem is that it's a bunch of male hip hop heads and hipsters.

wasn't this true of a lotta def jam dudes though? i mean even in the day when people bought discs

Gyakuten Meets Jazz Soul (Turnabout Jazz Soul). It's like Jazz versions of the Ace Attorney soundtracks. Damn good. Think someone on GAF made a thread about it or something with Rainy Mood and I've listened to it ever since.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMnrl0tmd3k

my man

I wanna thank everyone that brought up The Night's Gambit again earlier. Finally gave me the push I needed to listen to it.

The whole "psychological sophisticated gangsta grit" type descriptors are accurate. Really good album with a really dark atmosphere. I feel like I'm listening to it in the wrong season, though. This is gonna get heavy play when the temperature starts dropping.

Kwixotik

I wanna thank everyone that brought up The Night's Gambit again earlier. Finally gave me the push I needed to listen to it.

The whole "psychological sophisticated gangsta grit" type descriptors are accurate. Really good album with a really dark atmosphere. I feel like I'm listening to it in the wrong season, though. This is gonna get heavy play when the temperature starts dropping.

Yeah, once school and stress and come into play and everything dies, I'm gonna do some brooding to that album fo sho

Esch

Banned
I'll also attribute KRIT's commercial stagnancy to his overall failure to pick a lane. He could have ended up as a trap artist or a conscious/social justice guy. But above all, I (and I think most of you) assumed he would beeline for what DominoKid once called the "HBCU" demographic; the black rap consumers who shun trap and buy stuff like Kenneth, Drake, J. Cole, Wale, etc.... And he chose not to. Instead, he makes this awkward half thumping half thinking hybrid that has no mass appeal. And his music isn't good enough to transcend all of that shit like say, a young Kanye West.

So here he is. He probably still doesn't get it either.

CRS

I'll also attribute KRIT's commercial stagnancy to his overall failure to pick a lane. He could have ended up as a trap artist or a conscious/social justice guy. But above all, I (and I think most of you) assumed he would beeline for what DominoKid once called the "HBCU" demographic; the black rap consumers who shun trap and buy stuff like Kenneth, Drake, J. Cole, Wale, etc.... And he chose not to. Instead, he makes this awkward half thumping half thinking hybrid that has no mass appeal. And his music isn't good enough to transcend all of that shit like say, a young Kanye West.

So here he is. He probably still doesn't get it either.

It's not as approachable. Better? Yes.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Pusha got so royally fucked. I mean he's probably eating really well but first Ye pushes him aside and is like "hey listen I need to drop this shit right now," then Sean comes and does the same, next thing you'll know Push's album is going to be moved aside to make room for D'Banj's debut and a GLC EP.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Pusha fucked himself up when he rap these lines

Never mind me, 'Ye have fun
If the cops ask, that's my gun
I can't help but laugh every time I listen to that song.

You got Ye talking about his cronies taking the charge for him, CyHi punking Big Sean (I love that verse), and then you got Pusha talking about... being Pusha in G.O.O.D. haha

IrishNinja

man after shyne got shyne'd on why would anyone talk about taking a charge for anyone ever

is he secretly set or some shit? i mean damn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom