• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
Basically dipset is all ny and internet hype and all they rap about is how other grown men are 'faggots'. They are scum and always have been. There is a lot of homophobia and ignorance in hip hop, but no single group besides the diplomats have excelled in this regard.

Dipset has some undeniable bangers like I Really Mean It and I'm Ready, but overall thy were wack. Typically Dipset fans are white guys who didn't discover Wu Tang soon enough.

Oh Boy, Down and Out, Hey Ma, Mic Check etc are all great singles but the actual albums were forgettable.

Grzi

Dipset has some undeniable bangers like I Really Mean It and I'm Ready, but overall thy were wack. Typically Dipset fans are white guys who didn't discover Wu Tang soon enough.

Oh Boy, Down and Out, Hey Ma, Mic Check etc are all great singles but the actual albums were forgettable.

I've been a Wu-Tang fan for cca 18 years and still loved Dipset at the height of their popularity.
The main problem with Dipset is that their music just didn't age well. Back then it was hard not to be a fan. It was just fun music to ride to. The "powerful" beats, the stupid but funny lyrics, multisyllabic rhyming taken to the extreme, it was fun. All of them were caricatures, but people liked them for it. They were like a weird combination of Wu-Tang, Ruff Ryders and the No Limit dudes. The albums were long, a lot of filler on them, but they did put out a couple great records (Come Home With Me is a great album undeniably), and most of their shit banged hard as fuck in the whip.

Nowadays I don't see how anyone could possibly get into them when hip hop has evolved so much that even the ignorant stuff has a certain amount of quality and no cheesiness in it. When I listen to them it's mostly for the nostalgia, but whenever I do it they entertain me just like they did when they were at the top.

ecurbj

Stay trippy at the gym knocks, stay tripy at an apt party knocks

It knocks everywhere. ost for movement
"YEAH HOE", lol.
tumblr_mbbyp0jaGB1rvhq3go1_500.gif

Go watch the first Juicy J Breakfast Club interview if you haven't already. One of the best.

Is it this one?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1FZAjmppJIk

kamspy

Dipset didn't even pop until after Wu fell off.

mooooose

I've been a Wu-Tang fan for cca 18 years and still loved Dipset at the height of their popularity.
The main problem with Dipset is that their music just didn't age well. Back then it was hard not to be a fan. It was just fun music to ride to. The "powerful" beats, the stupid but funny lyrics, multisyllabic rhyming taken to the extreme, it was fun. All of them were caricatures, but people liked them for it. They were like a weird combination of Wu-Tang, Ruff Ryders and the No Limit dudes. The albums were long, a lot of filler on them, but they did put out a couple great records (Come Home With Me is a great album undeniably), and most of their shit banged hard as fuck in the whip.

Nowadays I don't see how anyone could possibly get into them when hip hop has evolved so much that even the ignorant stuff has a certain amount of quality and no cheesiness in it. When I listen to them it's mostly for the nostalgia, but whenever I do it they entertain me just like they did when they were at the top.
this is exactly how i feel

mooooose

man i cant even i started skipping around but jesus this is bad what the fuck i do NOT get this, beats that sound like midi loops, horrible mixing, yelling, "introspection" without insight, all angst. its essentially the linkin park of rap albums and the precursor to Fruity Loops beats era. eminem has a big problem with displacing blame without self reflection. its just an hour of a dude complaining.

i guess because he was the first person to do this that people look back on it fondly? i dont get this

that new cam song shits on everything here besides stan

everyone complains about em yelling but all i fucking hear is yelling here

mooooose

MMLP has Stan

Which is arguably Em's best song.

yeah thats the only song on there that is still great, let alone good. the rest of it was trash

danny brown is more self reflective on xxx than eminem has ever been, the more i listen to odb (the song), i think the same thing. its like the ultimate caricature of himself but the final line "in the end i'm just a dirty old man with a pill in my mouth and my dick in my hand". I think it says a lot. Like he goes on all these trap beats and shit and talks about drugs and creates "anthems" for festivals about popping pills, sniffing cocaine, molly, weed, but at the end of the day LOOK at who you are talking to. Do you want to be Danny Brown? I think he breaks character to just say that line at the end and let us all know how fucking wrong we are. It's almost like the "you say no to ratchet pussy, juicy j can't" line. Where he is self aware to his flaws, but Danny leaves the decision up to you whether you want to admire him or not, and he spells it all out for you, his life, but depending on how you look at it, it can be amusing or sad.

i think odb literally "comes together" based on that one verse ending line, it makes sense now

edit - i looked up the rap genius interpretation (a mistake) and it's so funny how different it was from mine. They said:

"Classic Danny, grabbing his dick while poppin a pill. A celebration of all that is dirty about him."

And it goes with what I said. You COULD admire him. But the words "dirty old man" and the bluntness of it. It reminds me more of the outro on XXX than a song like I Will, where it's funny and you say "OH DANNY!". Here it's more of... "gross". It breaks the illusion of Danny being a party animal and cool dude. He sounds more like Mick Jagger than a cool guy. It sounds kinda pathetic. I like that and I think if this is indicative of the album, it will be great.

yeah thats the only song on there that is still great, let alone good. the rest of it was trash

danny brown is more self reflective on xxx than eminem has ever been, the more i listen to odb (the song), i think the same thing. its like the ultimate caricature of himself but the final line "in the end i'm just a dirty old man with a pill in my mouth and my dick in my hand". I think it says a lot. Like he goes on all these trap beats and shit and talks about drugs and creates "anthems" for festivals about popping pills, sniffing cocaine, molly, weed, but at the end of the day LOOK at who you are talking to. Do you want to be Danny Brown? I think he breaks character to just say that line at the end and let us all know how fucking wrong we are. It's almost like the "you say no to ratchet pussy, juicy j can't" line. Where he is self aware to his flaws, but Danny leaves the decision up to you whether you want to admire him or not, and he spells it all out for you, his life, but depending on how you look at it, it can be amusing or sad.

i think odb literally "comes together" based on that one verse ending line, it makes sense now

edit - i looked up the rap genius interpretation (a mistake) and it's so funny how different it was from mine. They said:

"Classic Danny, grabbing his dick while poppin a pill. A celebration of all that is dirty about him."

And it goes with what I said. You COULD admire him. But the words "dirty old man" and the bluntness of it. It reminds me more of the outro on XXX than a song like I Will, where it's funny and you say "OH DANNY!". Here it's more of... "gross". It breaks the illusion of Danny being a party animal and cool dude. He sounds more like Mick Jagger than a cool guy. It sounds kinda pathetic. I like that and I think if this is indicative of the album, it will be great.

Good post & certainly ot$. I have a feeling Danny has a lot up his sleeve for this record. He's been doing big EDM party beatz for like a year and a half now, and I think his more personal & self-reflective tracks are really gonna shine on this one if only cause we haven't heard from that side of him in a longggg time.

On another note, I'm an fm dj for my school's radio station and I just got my time moved from a late night show. Good and bad: I can sleep well, but now I can't play anything obscene cause of the FCC and all that. Best clean hip-hop songs? (If this exists.)

kamspy

On another note, I'm an fm dj for my school's radio station and I just got my time moved from a late night show. Good and bad: I can sleep well, but now I can't play anything obscene cause of the FCC and all that. Best clean hip-hop songs? (If this exists.)

You can bleep your own stuff in Audacity. Spin some shit that doesn't have a clean version. Get you school blasting Blunt After Blunt After Blunt.

Tokubetsu

Buddy of mine on Big Sean after playing "10 2 10":
"His flow always reminds me of a more annoying Soulja Boy, and that says a lot."

listening to missy elliott's discog right now. I always loved Under Construction since back when it first dropped. Supa Dupa Fly is that fly shit, I've been sleeping on this album.

I thought I would like Da Real World more because of it's dope ass singles (see below), but that album is just alright.

Hot Boyz (Feat. Nas, Eve & Q-Tip)

Dated sounding music isn't the worst part of old Em records. It's those Backstreet Boys, Ricky Martin references and shit.

People say Em is trying to relive those MMLP days with MMLP2, but I'm like...is he gonna diss one direction and joke about boning Selena Gomez?

mooooose

oh my god 10 2 10 is horrible when he is screaming the last line he sounds like aziz ansari/tom from parks & rec how embarrassing this album seems like one big L for big sean

Dated sounding music isn't the worst part of old Em records. It's those Backstreet Boys, Ricky Martin references and shit.

People say Em is trying to relive those MMLP days with MMLP2, but I'm like...is he gonna diss one direction and joke about boning Selena Gomez?

Britney and JT are still around ; )

If Eminem releases another album of pop star disses I'm going to shake my head. That stuff was hilarious back in the day (I still laugh at that J Lo line in I'm Back) but now? yawn.

PBY

Banned
SSLP and MMLP hold up great for me. Still love em. References are dated but so what. All music is a product of its era.

mooooose

Q said the Break da Bank video is going to come out VERY soon. Like so soon it will be out tomorrow or the next day or next week. In light of the 16 samples needing clearance, this is weird.

It's the song produced by the Alchemist. I have a feeling this is going to be a very non-single song but will be pushed hard by TDE for separating Q. I think it's going to be "Setbacks" 50 Cent Q.

I'm hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom