• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Mafia [Mafia] lOTl Should've Gone for Bagels...

Sorian

Banned
Shit like that should.

It should but I have no way to prove to you that I am town at the moment so it doesn't. The post was still real advice from me to a newbie though. Even if you don't want to take what I said at face value, straight odds say that there is more likely to be two or more scum not involved in the skirmish that happened between squidy and I and I find it hilarious that you and Splinter are trying to find scummy behavior in me trying to pass along that advice.

PHEW. Got me scared for a second. I can dedicate myself more to this game for tonight now, I was very lax yesterday so it all makes sense why you'd be concerned about me with only 4 posts in the entire thread.

I'd just appreciate a well thought out top 3 town and top 3 scum list from you in all honesty. But the more involvement tonight, the better.

*Splinter

....but you're not going to comment on it yourself, you're just going to expect me to comment on it and label me as scum for not doing it.... when you're not doing it. Meanwhile you're dodging my question.
No I don't think it's accurate, nor do I think it's supposed to be. It's literally just "I'm super town you guys" but expressed in slightly more words than usual.

It's also in character

Ourobolus

Banned
Huh, really? You didn't sound super sold on Scrafty and I thought you were still watching squidy and I. Seems odd that you are sold completely all of a sudden.

"At this point."

Scrafty is my #1 target for now. She's been acting weird. If anything else pops up, sure, I'll adjust accordingly.

To Terrabyte: Your defense just hasn't completely assuaged my concerns about you. Your posts still feel weird to me- for instance, looking at this post, if we ignore Sorian's vote on Swamped (as he posted at the same time as you), you showed the first signs of hesitation when Swamped had only three votes, including your own. That's weird to me and I can't ignore that, but at least you've acknowledge that you can see where I'm coming from. I'll need to see more of your play to really convince me that you're town.

I still really want to hear from

Matt_Attack
Coppanuva
Charleston Chew
Royal_flush

about how they think mafia would act with respect to sorian and myself
I also would like everyone to give some top scum and town reads, I'm not expecting them to be solid and I realize they might change but at this point you should have something you can summarize.

If you were both town, I think the mafia would just let the two of you go at it while they go about their own business. If one of you is mafia and the other is town, I think the other scum would let it happen for a bit but ultimately throw the scum player under the bus to earn town points. If you're both scum, then I think your partner(s) would cry and then proceed to sacrifice squidy (who I get more of a scum read from than Sorian). It is only Day 1 though, so I'm not sure if that would impact a scum decision to sacrifice one of their own so early on.

I'll try to have a top scum and top town list up in a bit.

Sorian

Banned
Top Town (Gonna be honest, this was hard to select, some of these are a stretch cause I'm not feeling a lot of trust)
-roytheone - I appreciate his efforts to "scum mentor." Getting off a recent win as scum he is explaining what he would do in scum's shoes now that he's had first hand experience and I'll be honest, it feels genuine.
-*Splinter - He keeps going hard on people and it reads aggressive townie to me. I was up in the air if Splinter made the list but I read similar play to what I am doing. He's trying to not let shit get through and is challenging every little thing that he can.
-GreatCharleston - Probably a more controversial choice only because he hasn't said a whole lot. I'm basing a lot of this on prior play and a bit of misguided trust but, like I said, this part was hard to select because a lot of people have done weird things. GC is always just kind of there. If you accuse him, he slaps the accusation away and then goes back to watching. It's his play style and, honestly, I expect a scum GC to try to overcompensate a bit and I don't see that overcompensation at all.

Top Scum
-Scrafty - My vote is up on her right now and it's not a pressure vote, it's there and the reasons why are out there. She was actually outside of my top 3 while still close for a bit but that reads list did not paint her in a good light and even though I had voted already when squidy highlight the self assessment, well, sorry splinter, but I do think it wasn't too good for her.
-Terrabyte - For reasons that Matt and others have pointed out. Early game defense was Swamped read as weird. General lack of interest in day 1 is weird. His way of choosing who to prod with votes is weird. I don't think I'd actually be able to commit to a vote on him by myself right this second but if the end of the day was looming and it was him and someone else, I'd probably sway towards him.
-StarSketch - I'm reading someone who got dropped into a mafia role and is trying to get their bearings. It's slight but the lack of composure yesterday in contrast with today felt like a planning session happened over night. Maybe I'm just paranoid but that's how it all looked to me. She also attacked that squidy vote quick.

------------

Yes, squidy has dropped down to more of a middle of the road suspicion to me. I don't care if anyone finds that odd, I think if he is scum, attention will go back to him real quick. Everyone else is similarly middle of the road and these reads are subject to change pretty quick considering how little we've gotten so far.

Sorian

Banned
As usual, I have no idea what happens with the votes sometimes, but thank you for correcting me. lol

I figured out what it was while I was back reading for my reads list.

I do kinda agree on chain lynches this early on being a bad idea, I'm not going to go in on Sorian just because squidyj hypothetically flips tourist. It's still too early to have a trend.

Also Sawneeks, thanks for the information and response. I still want to hear GC contribute something, since he's played relatively quiet so far. Do you have any strong insights here Charleston? Any major talking points you agree with, any you disagree with? Why?

VOTE: GreatCharleston

I'm glad someone else called it out. I didn't want to be that guy.

These two posts are next to each other in the thread. You attributed the vote to Retro instead of Coppa, which means Coppa's vote is probably wrong too.

...So wait, you call me out on being too passive, and the minute I stop being passive in response, it automatically becomes me being mafia. Ok.

I mean you did vote for me just to get me to stop lurking and "give my two cents. "

Sorian

Banned
...So wait, you call me out on being too passive, and the minute I stop being passive in response, it automatically becomes me being mafia. Ok.

I mean you did vote for me just to get me to stop lurking and "give my two cents. "

Did GreatCharleston make an alt?

Anyway, no, I read you as mafia both while you were passive and when you came out to act more active.

Excuse you, I PM'd you because you suck at tracking votes. You have votes on there that never happened.
As usual, I have no idea what happens with the votes sometimes, but thank you for correcting me. lol

Hey, Launch, seriously, could you just put Highlight tags around your day end/begin messages, as specified in this post? Would make having an up-to-date (and correct) votecount easier for all parties involved. Even if we just use it to double-check the spread-sheet (Formating fuck-ups can push the program out of its comfort zone, so a human spreadsheet isn't so bad right now...)

*Splinter

-StarSketch - I'm reading someone who got dropped into a mafia role and is trying to get their bearings. It's slight but the lack of composure yesterday in contrast with today felt like a planning session happened over night. Maybe I'm just paranoid but that's how it all looked to me. She also attacked that squidy vote quick.
Possibly just a poor choice of words, but "lack of composure" doesn't seem to match her responses yesterday, nor your previous description of those responses.

I don't really get all the focus on Sketch, she hasn't stood out to me at all beyond squidgy's weird 100% town read (which is hardly her fault)

Hey, Launch, seriously, could you just put Highlight tags around your day end/begin messages, as specified in this post? Would make having an up-to-date (and correct) votecount easier for all parties involved. Even if we just use it to double-check the spread-sheet (Formating fuck-ups can push the program out of its comfort zone, so a human spreadsheet isn't so bad right now...)

err no.

Sorian

Banned
Possibly just a poor choice of words, but "lack of composure" doesn't seem to match her responses yesterday, nor your previous description of those responses.

I don't really get all the focus on Sketch, she hasn't stood out to me at all beyond squidgy's weird 100% town read (which is hardly her fault)

Yeah composure is the wrong word I guess. Maybe more lack of caring? There was a tone shift that I felt was forced.

Lol why?

Time remaining in Day Phase 1
t1443286800z3.png

Current vote counts

ZazrCjK.png

I don't like the script idea. I rather do it manually.

Did GreatCharleston make an alt?

1qzTJo4.png

We made an agreement you wouldn't tell anyone yet.

Unlike StarSketch though, you can have absolute faith in me. I promise.

Both Terrabyte & Matt Attack seem pretty whack to me, the back and forth just seems a bit weird for the first day. Swamped and StarSketch are poor individuals caught in the heat of the moment but that's how it is. The players in the strongest position right now are Ourobolus, Sorian, Rats Off To Ya & *Splinter. Fear their judgement, they will crush you.

Hey Ouro, congrats on the sex job. Guess that explains your inactivity and I'm okay for now with what you've done since then.

unvote

I still really want to hear from

Matt_Attack
Coppanuva
Charleston Chew
Royal_flush

about how they think mafia would act with respect to sorian and myself
I also would like everyone to give some top scum and town reads, I'm not expecting them to be solid and I realize they might change but at this point you should have something you can summarize.

If both are town:
a) If it is a thunderdome scenario, probably split up or, if they have reason to believe that one party is way more dangerous than the other, try to push the vote towards them. That's not the case here, though.
b) If it is an open scenario, where everyone can get voted out (that's what we have here) they would probably try to hold the anger of the crowd on one of them, so they'd focus on the one they think the other townies find scummier

If one of them is scum (doesn't make a big difference which one):
Highly depends on the situation. If town is pretty convinced on one of them, they'd probably just hide in the crowd (regardless if they bus another scum or seal the fate of a townie). If it is undecided, all of them (assuming 3 scum players) would try to shift the focus towards the town player, maybe after playing with the situation a bit, but I don't think that'd expand beyond a few remarks.

If both of them are scum (Note that in this scenario, again assuming 3 scum, only one "freely" voting scum player is left):
a) The thunderdome scenario has no significant difference to the both-town scenario. Just go with the crowd or bus whoever they think had fucked up more themselves the most.
b) In an open scenario they most likely would just ignore the whole conflict altogether and hope that town moves on. But how on earth would this scenario even be considered? A very bold play would have gone very wrong to let it come to this.

On to the next point: Top three of both town and mafia players:
Town:
-Sawneeks: Not that many useful posts, but the ones she made I really like, they strike me as very honest. Examples: 393, 445
-roytheone: I have a similar gut-feeling as with Sawneeks. Example posts: 422, 483
-squidyj: He is asking a lot of questions, wants other people to participate, plays thought experiments.

Scum:
-Rats: I think his posts read a bit off most of the time. Look for example at 447: "Nah, maybe, could be, I'll give something later" Same thing in 332.
-Terrabyte: Not necessarily style but more actual actions. Wont bother linking here, has been discussed already.
-Sorian: Possible just him being him, but I don't like the reasoning for him going after squidyj...

RetroMG

I need to go back through the thread, make some new reads, and figure out who I'm voting for. Unfortunately, I have a giant load of Humanities homework due in three hours. Maybe after that I can try to get some more reads in.

squidyj

So here's the key behavior I expect from scum in this situation.
not rocking the fucking boat. It's really simple, the only thing you really want is to keep the focus on sorian and squidyj, you might want to weakly mention other people but you don't want to bring up a line of thought that detracts from a town fight, you want one of these two people to die today and you don't want to jeopardize that. It doesn't matter so much which side you come down on or even if you come down on no side at all, since you're supposed to be town with no knowledge on day 1. Although coming down on no side at all is actually slightly more risky because by siding with one you give yourself something to talk about so you can look like you're contributing to the discussion, if you side with noone you have less to say without, as i said, rocking the boat.

I'm not going to say that I defended myself poorly on purpose and I don't want anyone to read into my actions on the basis of my post but as the eye of the storm I have found it more interesting watching the other people in the game than worrying about what Sorian was doing. To that end I have one town read and a few scum reads.

Top Scum
*Splinter - Everything he's doing is fluff, or trying to score easy points, it seems like he's been careful to be selective in what he responds to and how he responds to it. His response to my Scrafty comment was quite weird. Meanwhile he's been calling me scum without adding a lot of content to it while throwing out half-assed votes against other players here. When he posted his reads he gave a read on me and a read on sorian that might be fine taken separately but when you look at them together they're somwhat inconsistent with each other and don't represent a unified outlook on the game. He hasn't seen fit to comment on my vote on him either.

Scrafty - Seems to be hiding and willing to let the game stay the way it is, it's not a good look and I don't like that she called herself aggressive. She's reminding me of Ouro from AC right now.

My town reads aren't as strong right now
Town
Sawneeks - Gave some good reads at the right time.
Ouro - doesn't smell like scum but it might just be a new detergent.

squidyj

Also
thanks to the early start of this game (just like it was for NX) and my schedule I will likely not be around and able to participate leading up to the end of day phases. I might be able to get in there maybe 30 minutes before day ends, but that won't happen often.

*Splinter

*Splinter - Everything he's doing is fluff, or trying to score easy points, it seems like he's been careful to be selective in what he responds to and how he responds to it.
Loads of fluff, well done for spotting the obvious

Easy points? I don't think I've scored any points yet, but the game is young

Selective in blah blah I don't even know what you mean really. I comment on things I think are worth commenting on, or things that I want to comment on, or People Who Are Wrong. It might be easier to know wtf you're talking about if you actually quoted me, but I guess to do that you'd need a real reason to be calling me out, so here we are.
His response to my Scrafty comment was quite weird. Meanwhile he's been calling me scum without adding a lot of content to it while throwing out half-assed votes against other players here.
I don't know if you are scum yet, but I can wait for a better idea before I vote. Right now the most likely scum is Terrabyte, I've highlighted a few of the things that felt off to me and voted him. Not sure what's half assed about it.

Every vote before that was very obviously not a real vote. You're seriously reaching if you're including those just for the sake of saying they're "half-assed"
When he posted his reads he gave a read on me and a read on sorian that might be fine taken separately but when you look at them together they're somwhat inconsistent with each other and don't represent a unified outlook on the game.
How very dare you, I'm quite sure I've given no such reads. Again you don't quote so I don't know exactly what you're referring to. Mixing me up with someone else or just relying on people to not verify your accusations?
He hasn't seen fit to comment on my vote on him either.
This part is correct!

I do not deem your vote worthy of comment.

Sorian

Banned
Scum:
-Sorian: Possible just him being him, but I don't like the reasoning for him going after squidyj...

My reasoning for going after squidy was fine:

So here's the key behavior I expect from scum in this situation.
not rocking the fucking boat. It's really simple, the only thing you really want is to keep the focus on sorian and squidyj, you might want to weakly mention other people but you don't want to bring up a line of thought that detracts from a town fight, you want one of these two people to die today and you don't want to jeopardize that. It doesn't matter so much which side you come down on or even if you come down on no side at all, since you're supposed to be town with no knowledge on day 1. Although coming down on no side at all is actually slightly more risky because by siding with one you give yourself something to talk about so you can look like you're contributing to the discussion, if you side with noone you have less to say without, as i said, rocking the boat.

I'm not going to say that I defended myself poorly on purpose and I don't want anyone to read into my actions on the basis of my post but as the eye of the storm I have found it more interesting watching the other people in the game than worrying about what Sorian was doing. To that end I have one town read and a few scum reads.

Until I realized I was being played like a fiddle and didn't feel like being a part of another mock fight. That's what derailed us day 1 on NX and then got everyone tunneling for two days. Thanks though, I'm sure how people sided on me vs. you will be super important later (no sarcasm) but I'd like to move to today now. I have Splinter as high town and you have him as your main scum. He's raised decent points (in that you aren't giving him much room to defend himself) so I'd like to watch how this unfolds a bit. 'm still confident on my Scrafty vote for now regardless though.

Sawneeks

Banned
Hmm, looks like I probably will not be able to make it here before the deadline tomorrow. I will try to make it just in case any last minute scrambling happens but I wouldn't bet on it.

With that being said I still plan to keep my vote on Terrabyte as he is the one that is striking me as the most scummy person here. He votes on Swamped early on, gets very worried when she gets about 4 or 5 votes and asks people to back off but does not retract his own vote, and has continuously dance around giving concrete reasons as to why he has voted for her in the first place. It feels like he is trying to get out of giving concrete answers even to a point where questions directed towards him have gone ignored.

To follow that I do think ScraftyDevil is also suspicious for similar reasons. She is more murky and harder to pin down but I have her as #2 on my scum list for her semi-defense of Swamped as well as skirting the sidelines and not taking any hard stances as if she is afraid to step on anyone's toes this early on. Also a lack of answering questions that would make her take a stance on something, somewhat similar to how Terra is.

Everyone else sits more in the middle, a few faces standing out more than the others but not as much as these two above.

Sorian

Banned
I might as well throw in, I will be here during time ending tomorrow as far as I know, since so many are saying that they won't be available.

TOP TOWN

squidyj - If you're Town, I see what you've been doing, and I like it. A much cleverer way to incite activity than screaming "I'M SUSPICIOUS OF YOU DEFEND YOURSELF."

Ouro - An excellent list of reads; I found myself nodding along to the entire thing. Town, or really fucking good at acting like it.

roy - Excellent input all around. Coming at us with the scum perspective. You will be a valuable asset, if you are indeed one of us.

TOP SCUM

swamped - Has offered a decent amount of participation, but gone after uncontroversial targets. Opened up with an easy vote on Retro, followed by an easy vote on Charleston. People who probably won't be lynched, so it's a harmless gesture.

Scrafty - What was old is new again: you continue to be a mystery. I echo the feelings about your self-assessment being strange. Like you're trying to incept us.

Terrabyte - Not a super strong feeling on this one, you're just filling out the list more than anything. I generally agree with what some others have said about you.

TOP WATCH THIS FUCKING GUY

Sorian - Didn't like his behavior toward squidy, don't like how he backed off when we started calling him on it. Wait and see. I played one day with Town Sorian and one day with scum Sorian. Not gonna lie, I hated scum Sorian's fucking guts. Still not sure how I feel about this one.

Splinter - He's been very aggressive. Like, comically aggressive. Lots of finger pointing, not a lot to back it up. If he's Town, I'm not a huge fan of his playstyle so far.

TOP HELL IF I KNOW

Charleston - I read you as Town all through last game, not through any great effort on your part, but via a pretty good understanding of your intentions. You haven't said quite enough for me to feel one way or the other.

StarSketch - Newbie jitters are real, and GAFia can be a lion's den. You kinda remind me of my partner Droplet in my last game: making an earnest attempt to contribute early on, and (fairly or unfairly) getting piled on for it. Thing is, I knew Droplet was Town, but I have no cause to judge your alignment either way.

I'm not great at this Day One stuff, so for now I'll defer to an opinion I (currently) respect.

VOTE: ScraftyDevil

My my, I depart to run some errands and return to find that a little self-depreciating joke has been looked way too far into. My facetious self-analysis was referring to Ouro's read of me being "aggressive" and wasn't intended to be anything more than that. Sorian's latching onto such an inconcequential detail has caused him to grow much more supicious in my eyes.

We have precious little time until the deadline for today is up, and to those of you who feel that I am being elusive or otherwise deceitful, I implore you to ask whatever questions you desire directly to me and I promise to answer them with full disclosure. I'd also like to formally invite any town investigator to check my alignment tonight assuming that I live long enough to experience it, as I believe you'll find that the results of your findings shall speak for themselves.

Ourobolus

Banned
I'd also like to formally invite any town investigator to check my alignment tonight assuming that I live long enough to experience it, as I believe you'll find that the results of your findings shall speak for themselves.

You must know by now, darling, that this line of reasoning typically calls into question some sort of godfather or the like.

Top Bottom