• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Interview: The Order: 1886 In Retrospect And Ready At Dawn's Future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKn8rpDt9e8

In this interview segment from The Game Informer Show, Ben Hanson speaks with Ready at Dawn co-founders Ru Weerasuriya and Andrea Pessino about The Order: 1886 in retrospect, whether that Sony franchise has a future, and why the studio is shifting to developing multiple multiplayer games like Lone Echo for Oculus and Deformers.

If somebody wants to make a cliff notes on the key points, I'll add it to the OP.

LastNac

Sighhhh,

Damn it, I liked The Order.

There were some weaknesses, sure, but they were entirely found in the game's design and not its presentation.

I really, really want to see another game that has the visual style(black bars and all) of The Order. Please RAD, work on design, but keep your presentation!!!!!

I don't get why they didn't just copy the Gears formula for the combat. Seemed like a no brainer when playing it. Maybe it was just unfinished or something, but when I got it it was $30 and I it really was a fun experience.

Watching now. I enjoyed the Order, but it could have been such a looser, more fun game with more gameplay, actual boss fights etc and would have done so much better while still doing everything I liked about it.

I still love things like Galahad in LBP and Super Time Force... such a cool world and great designs. So much potential was there.

I hope RAD climbs back up, with everything they know now in hand, without the project being blown out to quintuple A or needing to hurry up and fix a "no gaemz" situation for a new console. What he's saying around 9:00 makes sense.

Harmen

For all its problems, I still want a sequel to The Order.

Agreed.

That said, I feel there would be many more The Order enthousiasts if the game had two hours of additional campaign gameplay and a horde/mercenaries mode. While the story is somewhat like a contained origin story, the games feels short on content. At a lower pricepoint I feel the game is absolutely worth it though, if you don't mind linearity and Telltale-esque interactive cutscenes.

a916

It wasn't a bad game. It just wasn't a great game.

The story/mechanics/art style are in place if they can make the right moves to push it and make it an excellent game.

I thought The Order was an insanely flawed game with an insane lack of good, core gameplay, but I like these guys.

They understand that they took on something huge and stumbled - they're not bullshitting anyone, they just keep learning and improving with the next projects. Good stuff.

Agreed.

That said, I feel there would be many more The Order enthousiasts if the game had two hours of additional campaign gameplay and a horde/mercenaries mode. While the story is somewhat like a contained origin story, the games feels short on content. At a lower pricepoint I feel the game is absolutely worth it though, if you don't mind linearity and Telltale-esque interactive cutscenes.

The story is anything but a self contained origin story, in fact that's one of the biggest problems of the story and why it's so unsatisfying despite high production values in good to great voice acting.

rajanp22

These guys seem cool and humble, here's hoping the current games in development end up a success and that Sony gives RAD another chance.

SaganIsGOAT

The orders gunplay felt so tight and the enemy hit reactions were excellent. A sequel with more focus on gameplay and gunplay would be so rad.

Hjod

Banned
I loved the setting of The Order, but it was too short, it held your hand to much, it was more of a movie than a game, but I enjoyed it a lot.

Would love to get a sequel, there is so much potential there.

LastNac

The orders gunplay felt so tight and the enemy hit reactions were excellent. A sequel with more focus on gameplay and gunplay would be so rad.

Exactly. Galahad felt really heavy too. I don't know if I liked that or not actually, not every shooter protagonist needs to move like Drake. I wish he was a little more mobile, but not that mobile.

sn00zer

I dont think yould find many people who wouldnt want a sequel..... its the perfect "has so much potential it hasn't reached yet" game

Zukkoyaki

The Order's shortcomings aside, Ready at Dawn is clearly a highly talented studio. Deformers looks legit awesome and I'm eager to see the AAA unannounced game they have in the works.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Agreed.

They straight copy and pasted a boss battle for the final confrontation and any time you fought the werewolves it was a kind of a damned joke, not a funny one. I enjoyed the game but there were some horrible choices made in terms of the actual game and how it played out. The world and graphics were great but that only goes so far.

This game was fucking garbage. Talk about a turd rolled in glitter. It had no soul. Sucks because when the ps4 was first unveiled, this was the game that made me want a ps4 in the first place.

Just like PSAS should have copied Smash, this game should have just copied Gears.

BadAss2961

I don't get why they didn't just copy the Gears formula for the combat. Seemed like a no brainer when playing it. Maybe it was just unfinished or something, but when I got it it was $30 and I it really was a fun experience.
The combat was on point. The game just needed more of it. More combat playgrounds and scenarios.

Garlador

Absolutely. The world the first game created is too interesting to just let die.

There really is a lot of potential there.

Many games don't really hit their stride until their second game anyway. Street Fighter II, Mega Man 2, Mass Effect 2...

Go for it.

Kyoufu

I'd love a sequel. Please Sony, make it happen.

The first game was far from perfect but they've learned from their mistakes.

Yes, I also want a sequal. The game had major design flaws, but I think the team has the talent to build on it and make something great. Presentation was up there with any of the big boys.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
I'm surprised by the amount of people saying they think it 'deserves' a sequel.

I personally feel that the way they handled the story ( especially towards the end ) kind of fucked up beyond repair anything that could have been there. The ending was just such a mess that I do not see how they could continue the story from there without large retcons or just straight-up ignoring a lot of things.

Add the general writing problems and the not amazing gameplay ( not bad, but nothing new or exciting and those copy-pasted boss-fights were just lazy ) and I just can't really get excited for the idea of a sequel. I don't think it 'earned' a sequel at all.

Yes, there is absolutely potential, but they did not capitalize on that in the game they already made. I don't see why they should be given a sequel ( instead of starting over ) or how - if they were given a sequel - they would somehow significantly improve over what they already put out. If they do would significantly improve, it would probably be pretty much a different game all-together.

If they do end up making a sequel at any point, they should absolutely keep the black bars though as I feel it is part of the identity of the game and those who hate it should just stop complaining.

Armadilo

Banned
Give the IP to a different studio and make a game out of the first trailer, past-futuristic shooter . Go all out. RIP the train

Electret

What RAD got right, they got right. Art direction, rendering tech, character design, etc. were some of the best we've seen this gen. Unfortunately, pacing, presentation, and balance between cutscenes and gameplay were totally fucked up. That said, the game's good qualities are enough for me to be down for playing a sequel. No modern-era game has captured Victorian London quite the same.

tusken77

12:20 ish hype

There is a future, it was built to be that way. "You'd have to ask Sony, though."

Bring it.

Q: "Is there a future for the Order franchise?"

A: *smiling* "Uhhh. The best way to answer that ...wow....without giving any(thing away), how can I say this? Is there a future? Yes. That IP has a future. It's definitely built into the IP. That future was built from the very get go, from the first day we started working on it. There's a larger storyline. There's a macro story that keeps going. There's an IP that's actually even bigger than even the storylines we created. So, there are legs to this IP, definitely."

Q: "So, Sony sees it as a helluva investment. We're gonna keep pushing this baby?"

A: *smiling* "Well, you'll have to ask Sony that."

"OK. Interesting."

giphy.gif

Great to hear! Absolutely love The Order. SO much potential for future sequels.

mejin

they nailed pretty much everything except gameplay. hahaha.

but I loved the first one, so much potential to do better in a sequel...RaD received a lot of feedback to fix it.

Elginer

Loved the world and the game even with its problems. A sequel could be amazing with some great third person action.

Dovahking

I think they should at least try a single player DLC set before 1886. It should be more focused on combat with an epic boss fight. :D

It's too late, isn't it ? :(

Top Bottom