• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Interview: The Order: 1886 In Retrospect And Ready At Dawn's Future

OsirisBlack

Banned
Q: "Is there a future for the Order franchise?"

A: *smiling* "Uhhh. The best way to answer that ...wow....without giving any(thing away), how can I say this? Is there a future? Yes. That IP has a future. It's definitely built into the IP. That future was built from the very get go, from the first day we started working on it. There's a larger storyline. There's a macro story that keeps going. There's an IP that's actually even bigger than even the storylines we created. So, there are legs to this IP, definitely."

Q: "So, Sony sees it as a helluva investment. We're gonna keep pushing this baby?"

A: *smiling* "Well, you'll have to ask Sony that."

"OK. Interesting."

giphy.gif

Great to hear! Absolutely love The Order. SO much potential for future sequels.

Something else stood out much later in the conversation.....30:47 "What is next for us?The big thing that was next for us was multiplayer. absolutely we needed that multiplayer checkbox and people can extrapolate from there what's going to happen in the future."

That is very interesting

NYmanutd

A: *smiling* "Uhhh. The best way to answer that ...wow....without giving any(thing away), how can I say this? Is there a future? Yes. That IP has a future. It's definitely built into the IP. That future was built from the very get go, from the first day we started working on it. There's a larger storyline. There's a macro story that keeps going. There's an IP that's actually even bigger than even the storylines we created. So, there are legs to this IP, definitely."

Q: "So, Sony sees it as a helluva investment. We're gonna keep pushing this baby?"

"OK. Interesting."

giphy.gif

Wow That's great news to me. I really think an order sequel would be much, much better than the first game(which btw i enjoyed) there needs to be more action/less cut scenes and at least 10 hours single player campaign.

Schrade

I loved the game for its setting, gunplay and story. I didn't enjoy some of the quicktime event fights and forced non control sections.

There's so much potential here. Give me sequel!

Oh it definitely deserves a sequel, The Order is a gold mine of potential.

Yup. The Order 1886 was an enjoyable experience but one that made me sad. It's just waiting to be exploited and mined for sequels and even transmedia. I fully expect Sony to recognize this and crank out more games, and even books and films set in this universe.

The setting, atmosphere, and even the world itself it just felt very lived in. It felt "weighty" the characters has histories and all of this is just waiting to be told.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'll tell you exactly who RaD should hire who would be perfect:

Rod Ferguson

Good luck getting him to leave The Coalition though.

Campaign wise, it was much better and more satisfying that the fan fiction Gears 4, but shipping without any kind of multiplayer really killed it.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

"OK. Interesting."

giphy.gif

That was basically confirmation that it's not actively being worked on and that they were going to make sequels had the game not flopped and received terrible reception.

tusken77

Something else stood out much later in the conversation.....30:47 "What is next for us?The big thing that was next for us was multiplayer. absolutely we needed that multiplayer checkbox and people can extrapolate from there what's going to happen in the future."

That is very interesting

Oh wow. Yes! As a huge fan, this is exciting stuff to hear.

Yozetty

Game Informer
Great catch, yeah I think this is the most revealing moment of the interview.

That is very interesting

No thanks. Game was garbage.

RAD has done much better working when working on other developers' franchises.

Well not to me and others...don't buy it next time if its garbage for you. Not every game is for every gamer. It has its faults but nothing that cannot be fixed in the sequel. It had some of the best weapons and gunplay in any shooter.

ron_bato

I dont think a sequel is currently in the works, but i hope the IP finds its way back to them as they really seem invested in that world.

I enjoyed the first game in spite of its flaws would be down for a sequel.

tusken77

Yup. The Order 1886 was an enjoyable experience but one that made me sad. It's just waiting to be exploited and mined for sequels and even transmedia. I fully expect Sony to recognize this and crank out more games, and even books and films set in this universe.

The setting, atmosphere, and even the world itself it just felt very lived in. It felt "weighty" the characters has histories and all of this is just waiting to be told.

Absolutely.

The Order: 1886 laid a great foundation backed by some amazing technology. It'd be shame to let it go to waste.

Absolutely.

Zukkoyaki

That is very interesting
I think what they're saying is they want to make sure their future games have a multiplayer element. One of the top complaints with The Order was length in replay value.

I also don't interpret it as them necessarily having a multiplayer focus in the future either. Their recently announced Oculus game, Lone Echo, has a multiplayer component but they showed the single player at the reveal.

Though Deformers does look to have a focus on simple and fun multiplayer with friends like Rocket League.

I would definitely be down with a sequel, despite the disappointment of the first. There's definitely a great franchise waiting to happen here

I knew the order was bad, bought it for under $10, and still feel I payed too much for it. Like, the graphics are amazing, and the art direction is quite good, but literally everything else is terrible. The story, the storytelling, the pacing, the combat, everything is so bad.

eFKac

I liked The Order 1886, it was a game with flaws though, some aspects were straight up bad.

I would definitely want to get a sequel cause the universe is interesting and has huge potential and we're left at a cliffhanger with many things unresolved, just not from RAD.

They had their chance and blew it. I wouldn't trust them with a big budget again to deliver a widely acclaimed title.

Septic360

Banned
The Order was thoroughly weak on many fronts BUT oddly, there is a foundation there that can enable the devs to really deliver something great.

The devs now appear to be aware of their shortcomings as opposed to Pessino making excuses like he was at launch.

Good luck to them.

I think the franchise is dead. I agree with the bolded but the problem is they had 8 hours to tell these characters stories, motivations, and relationships with each other and they failed to even do that. I don't understand how anybody can applaud the story when the storytelling is done so poorly. I believe people are conflating good dialogue, great voice acting, and presentation with great story and characters.

They were better off telling a very simple good vs bad storyline and focused on the individual characterization, inter relationships, and team bonding between the members of The Order as they conquered their primary enemies: Werewolves and other horrors infesting the country. I wouldn't have introduced the Rebels storyline until a sequel with everything having already been established in the first game.

Wozman23

The Order's reception was the strangest I've seen. When the reviews hit it was all doom and gloom, but we've slowly reached a point where a sequel seems feasible.

I was extremely impressed from the start. I understand the criticisms people had, but I loved everything about The Order - the characters, the atmosphere, the satisfying gunplay, the presentation. I actually thought the presentation was its strongest feature. The pacing, with its ebb and flow between gameplay and cinema, was a refreshingly unique experience. On the whole, it felt like one of the only games - even to this day - that felt like it wouldn't have been possible on the last generation of consoles. It felt like something new - like the first successful attempt at merging cinema and game. It entranced me like a great blockbuster film.

Calling it a 'developer's game' is high praise. In any industry - whether it be video games, music, comedy, etc. - the ultimate compliment is one that comes from your peers.

I'm still hoping we can get a sequel.

Also, Sony, get Insomniac back on Resistance 4.

Robot Pants

Sequel coulda melted faces and been incredibly awesome but Sony sucks.
Meanwhile polyphony gets millions more in funding and takes another decade to make a subpar racing game

I'd take a movie sequel, but I honestly have no interest in a new game unless they tear down the gameplay experience completely and rethink it from scratch.

That is exactly what they should do. I still think the IP has a ton of potential. One the few flops I think deserves another chance.

Sequel coulda melted faces and been incredibly awesome but Sony sucks.
Meanwhile polyphony gets millions more in funding and takes another decade to make a subpar racing game

Yes Sony is the only publisher that is hesitant to fund sequels to critical and commercial flops. If the The Order is dead as an IP it all on RAD.

jelly

Didn't they say they had less interest in making a game and more a film experience. That always stuck with me as a major negative with the studio.

That is exactly what they should do. I still think the IP has a ton of potential. One the few flops I think deserves another chance.

The IP definitely did have a ton of potential and unfortunately it was wasted to be a military shooter killing humans. If it were ever given a second chance, it should be rebooted and the story and gameplay mechanics reimagined to fulfil it's potential.

Fdkn

I liked the game. Grabbed it for 15€ and it certainly had zero replay value, but it was a totally fine experience knowing what it was.

Elandyll

Banned
I actually loved many parts of The Order (unbelievably good graphics, voice over, world setup/ history, weighty shooting, sound FX, goat soundtrack...) but it had so many problems that were preventing the game from taking off into good territory (obnoxious QTEs, huge amount of cut scenes, way too linear and a story that goes in the weeds toward the end and completely off track for the ending).

It was almost like Uncharted and MGSIV had a baby, but by bringing all the bad stuff along and focusing on it instead of concentrating on the good.

Long story short, really liked the game in spite of its many problems, and I hope there'll be a competent follow up.

But probably not.

Wozman23

In what way?

Just look at the positivity in this thread, even from people who were not completely impressed but willing to give the IP another chance.

I think initial sales took a huge hit due to unfavorable reviews. It was trashed pre-launch. But after some time, and a huge price drop, more and more people were willing to give it a chance. A lot of them found that the game wasn't as bad as it was made out to be. Many even enjoyed it.

I really, truly hope there is a sequel to this game. I loved being in that world, felt so lived in. If it's done right I think it could be a great IP for Sony.

For me The Order 1886 was the most exciting project in this generation - not because of the game itself, but more because of the idea & potential for the future of this franchise

Oh man....plz sony give them another chance

My biggest problem with Order was how hard it tried to fit into the TPS mold instead of going all out with the QTE, interactive element craziness.

It played it far too safe and was hurt for it. It need more fights like the Elder Lycan one, it needed to play around more with the interactive elements. But it never did and just relied on the TPS aspect to carry it.

bounchfx

let RAD do the graphics and give the actual game to a different company so we dont wind up with another game that overtly would rather be a movie

Harmen

The story is anything but a self contained origin story, in fact that's one of the biggest problems of the story and why it's so unsatisfying despite high production values in good to great voice acting.

Yeah you are right, I could have worded that better. It does feel like a complete act to me and at the end Galahad gave me
Batman
vibes, but they clearly laid out the main threats for the sequel(s). And I do feel the game would be a lot better received if one of those threats was actually handled in two additional hours.

And why the hell did they not use
vampires
. The way they set that up was a bit of a f*ck you to the playerbase in my opinion.

They straight copy and pasted a boss battle for the final confrontation and any time you fought the werewolves it was a kind of a damned joke, not a funny one. I enjoyed the game but there were some horrible choices made in terms of the actual game and how it played out. The world and graphics were great but that only goes so far.

Oh I agree. I am not a huge fan of the Order, but there are many aspects of it that I really do like or even love. I had a blast playing it and was really satisfied after buying it for 20 dollars. However, I do agree with many of the criticisms. It is just that some of those didn't bother me as much as I was enjoying the good aspects.

Please, Shinobi. Come in here and tell all of us once again how dead this IP is so Gaf may quite it's hopes for a sequel.

Until the next Order 1886 thread

theWB27

The IP definitely did have a ton of potential and unfortunately it was wasted to be a military shooter killing humans. If it were ever given a second chance, it should be rebooted and the story and gameplay mechanics reimagined to fulfil it's potential.

What would it need to be to reach it's potential?

Fisty

I'm surprised by the amount of people saying they think it 'deserves' a sequel.

I personally feel that the way they handled the story ( especially towards the end ) kind of fucked up beyond repair anything that could have been there. The ending was just such a mess that I do not see how they could continue the story from there without large retcons or just straight-up ignoring a lot of things.

Add the general writing problems and the not amazing gameplay ( not bad, but nothing new or exciting and those copy-pasted boss-fights were just lazy ) and I just can't really get excited for the idea of a sequel. I don't think it 'earned' a sequel at all.

Yes, there is absolutely potential, but they did not capitalize on that in the game they already made. I don't see why they should be given a sequel ( instead of starting over ) or how - if they were given a sequel - they would somehow significantly improve over what they already put out. If they do would significantly improve, it would probably be pretty much a different game all-together.

If they do end up making a sequel at any point, they should absolutely keep the black bars though as I feel it is part of the identity of the game and those who hate it should just stop complaining.

It's "deserves" a sequel because it's plainly obvious where they spent 90% of their dev time and developing a sequel would mean that most of that 90% could be reused in some fashion, allowing RAD to focus on the areas where 1886 fell short.

DrD

My biggest problem with the game was that it wasn't really what I wanted it to be. When I saw the first trailer I was expecting it to be a co-op shooter similar to Gears. Riding in a carriage with your buddies when all of a sudden it gets attacked by monsters, getting chased by hordes of monsters while you fight your way out of town in a carriage. I was picturing steampunk Victorian Gears with a bigger emphasis on horror.

I knew it wasn't going to be for me when the first gameplay video was shown and I lost interest. Setting and premise of the story have a lot of potential though.

Shin-Ra

TheresAchance.gif

Tesla's guns and gadgets, I want more diversity and usefulness. Better stealth-supporting mechanics/AI states and level design. I want to feel like a fancy agent of The Order or the rebels. More BRAIN and brawn.

Tinúviel

The tech and foundation they created is too precious for letting it go to waste.I still play the game sometimes and i believe it still has one of the best visuals out there.

Top Bottom