• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Cersei Lannister - She's going to win the the game of thrones.
The Wall - Episode 7
Yara Greyjoy - Episode 5
Petyr Baelish - Episode 6

Future prediction
Danaerys Targareyan - Season 8 Episode 5
Jon Snow - Season 8 Episode 6
My prediction for final episode of the series -
The white walkers are closing in on Kings landing. All is lost. Dany shows up with her dragons in the nick of time and offers her aid, for the sake of all humanity. Cersei stabs her in the back. Literally.

HotHamBoy

The Door...not good? You're not supposed to do a line before a re-watch.

There's a few good scenes. Little Finger and Sansa, the scene with Ramsey and the wild lady. The big Daenerys scene is okay but I'd seen that trick before. But I actually found the Hodor scene fucking ridiculous.

I personally never needed an explanation for why Hodor was Hodor and the paradoxes are unnecessary. For me, the final shot is one of those things where I know I'm supposed to take it seriously and be moved but it makes me laugh because it's absurd. Also, Bran is a dumbass. He causes all of his own problems.

FiggyCal

Banned
There's a few good scenes. Little Finger and Sansa, the scene with Ramsey and the wild lady. The big Daenerys scene is okay but I'd seen that trick before. But I actually found the Hodor scene fucking ridiculous.

I personally never needed an explanation for why Hodor was Hodor and the paradoxes are unnecessary. For me, the final shot is one of those things where I know I'm supposed to take it seriously and be moved but it makes me laugh because it's absurd. Also, Bran is a dumbass. He causes all of his own problems.

You couldn't be more wrong. Also, "the paradoxes are unnecessary"... that's not really up to you to decide that seeing as we have 2 seasons left. If Bran can interact with the past as he did then, that's a pretty important plot element to consider in the future. I also don't understand how you found that scene funny - everyone I know reacted to it in a similar way. It was pretty sad, dude.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The Hodor reveals is one of the most holy shit reveals I've seen. I was out there cutting grass just mauling over how brilliant it was and for how long GRRM had been cooking that. A twist 15 odd years in the making.
Go to youtube and check the Burlington Bar reactions. Some good stuff. Kind of wish I didn't have such bad anxiety so Icould go out and watch those big moments with other people. I bet it enhances the experience.

"Hold the door!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BQ29FNQfXo

I love those videos, always make a point of watching them when the season is airing.

Also, Hold the Door was so impactful that it pretty much became a thing people said. I've seen Hold the Door in a billion random places. That shit resonated with people.

[edit]

Watched that scene again after not seeing it since last year, teared up again, goddamn what a gut wrenching turn of events.

HotHamBoy

You couldn't be more wrong. Also, "the paradoxes are unnecessary"... that's not really up to you to decide that seeing as we have 2 seasons left. If Bran can interact with the past as he did then, that's a pretty important plot element to consider in the future. I also don't understand how you found that scene funny - everyone I know reacted to it in a similar way. It was pretty sad, dude.

Pretty hamfisted.

Whatever, I mean, I don't mind if it was more effective for other people.

Einchy

While we wait for the premiere, here's one of my favorite fan creations.
rv_01_redux_web.png

Full comic
https://mccomseycomix.wordpress.com...r-vs-the-mountain-that-rides-a-12-page-comic/

He also did this great Jon Snow piece for season 6.
snoo3.png

kubus

Weather forecast says it's gonna be 36C tomorrow. Winter is here, my ass :p.

Still gonna try and catch it at a bar in tokyo tomorrow. Hope they have air conditioning lol

Violet_0

Banned
One thing that I've been wondering about since the season 6 finale - has Cersei just given up on the appearance of having a legitimate claim to the throne? At her coronation they announced her "Cersei of the House Lannister." Shouldn't she still be a Baratheon by marriage?

it's a good old-fasioned power grab
the person on the throne is whoever has the means to take it. The common folk have no love for their kings and don't care about the rules of succession. The other Houses that might care barely exist anymore, and they are pretty much all at war with the Lannisters anyway

Einchy

Weather forecast says it's gonna be 36C tomorrow. Winter is here, my ass :p.

Still gonna try and catch it at a bar in tokyo tomorrow. Hope they have air conditioning lol
Real fans watch this season in an ice bath.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

I'm ok with Cersei just nuking Dorne out of existence.

That wasn't as jarring for me as just how easily swayed the citizens of the Iron Islands are.
You know what else was jarring? Every single Dornish royal guard being perfectly fine with watching their Prince murdered in front of them. Then, every single lord and lady of Dorne being perfectly fine with a regicide committing bastard taking the throne.

Doran was a good prince, who loved his people. He showed mercy, kindness, and good judgment. You can't sell me on the idea that everyone in Dorne was ok in having him killed, just so that they could endanger everything they loved by going to war. Even horrible leaders have their loyalists, but a good man who worried so much about his people, doesn't have anyone to be unhappy for his murder? It doesn't make any logical sense.

hoos30

You know what else was jarring? Every single Dornish royal guard being perfectly fine with watching their Prince murdered in front of them. Then, every single lord and lady of Dorne being perfectly fine with a regicide committing bastard taking the throne.

Doran was a good prince, who loved his people. He showed mercy, kindness, and good judgment. You can't sell me on the idea that everyone in Dorne was ok in having him killed, just so that they could endanger everything they loved by going to war. Even horrible leaders have their loyalists, but a good man who worried so much about his people, doesn't have anyone to be unhappy for his murder? It doesn't make any logical sense.
Not going to defend Sandsnakes BS, but the rest is plausible if you consider that the rest of Dornish society was sick and tired of being punked by the Lannisters and Doran did nothing about it.

DerekNYC

I'll back you up here man. Happy that so many others love it, but the Hodor thing didn't work for me at all. Thought I was the only one in the whole fandom!

FStubbs

I disagree on Jon. He has been a pretty compelling character since season 6 when he returned. He might be the clostest thing to a hero in Game of Thrones, but that fact doesn't make him uniteresting. He is basically Ned 2.0.

Tyrion's arc, neither Dany's haven't ended at all.

There's still Littlefinger. He's a huge end game player.

Plus I think barring some Euron naval screwery Danaerys' army will only have severe problems with the winter.

Cersei is a dead woman walking. It's just a matter of who ends her first.

Forgot about Euron, I really hope they don't spend a lot of time on him. I feel like it's getting a little too late to be introducing and building on any considerably larger characters.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

From what we have seen, Dorne may consist of about 10 people in total. It's unfortunate that they didn't have the time and/or budget to realize Dorne in any meaningful way.

Zolo

Dorne was just awful.

From what we have seen, Dorne may consist of about 10 people in total. It's unfortunate that they didn't have the time and/or budget to realize Dorne in any meaningful way.

The best of Dorne would have still come to King's Landing and died there so I'm glad they didn't.

While we wait for the premiere, here's one of my favorite fan creations.
rv_01_redux_web.png

]

This really bothered me on the show. When these guys go to battle, they wear their house colors as a sign of duty to their house. They never have the mountain wear his house colors in tournament or his fight with the red viper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom