• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

My headcanon says they're zigzagging across just resurrecting and doing as much magical buffing as possible.

You can kinda forgive them not getting to the wall because they're weird magical creatures that we don't understand. Compared to humans it's a bit different.

Yeah, I mean, we've only seen a dozen or so white walkers ever, right? And they're the only ones who can zombify people. When you've only got a dozen recruiters, it's going to take some time to build an army. They've probably been chasing down giants and shit. "We're ready to attack the Wall." "Why are there only 80 guys?" "Cause it's fucking hard to find people up here, mate."

xaosslug

Who else expects Jon to be turned into a White Walker?

He is the only uncorrupted character of the show/book so far.

he will kill the Night King only to become the Night King.
QIfhFmY.gif

Surfinn

Yeah it seems so, but they are viewing it from the opposite side from the other picture. Look at the peak, it's a mirror of each other. So the children were on the Northern side of it.

That's exactly what I thought. The sides line up perfectly

Neece

I thought Arya and Sansa's reunion was the best reunion on the show. It was appropriately understated considering their relationship, a relationship we actually got to witness on screen in season 1, as opposed to the non-existant relationship that was Jon and Sansa.

I really liked how they talked for a bit, Sansa hugged Arya, they felt each other out a bit more before Arya hugged Sansa.

And then bonding over their father.

It wasn't as dramatic as some other reunions but I think it was the most well written and earned, the only slight being that they didn't mention Rickon.

xaosslug

does anyone else think they will bring one of the undead back to Cersei and Qyburn will use it as a test subject to figure out how to raise the dead and create an army of the undead for Cersei, maybe, even resurrect one of the dead dragons?

Deku Tree

John is already dead. The Night King has been controlling John this whole time. John is leading the people of Westeros to their slaughter by the army of the dead as planned.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I thought Arya and Sansa's reunion was the best reunion on the show. It was appropriately understated considering their relationship, a relationship we actually got to witness on screen in season 1, as opposed to the non-existant relationship that was Jon and Sansa.

I really liked how they talked for a bit, Sansa hugged Arya, they felt each other out a bit more before Arya hugged Sansa.

And then bonding over their father.

It wasn't as dramatic as some other reunions but I think it was the most well written and earned, the only slight being that they didn't mention Rickon.

I think Sansa gave her most heartfelt reaction to Bran when they met. If Bran acted like a normal person, that reunion would have been the best out of all of them in regards to the feelings and emotions on display.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
does anyone else think they will bring one of the undead back to Cersei and Qyburn will use it as a test subject to figure out how to raise the dead and create an army of the undead for Cersei, maybe, even resurrect one of the dead dragons?

Qyburn seems more like a science guy while the Night King is more of a magic thing.

Nameless

I know it's not the same thing, but remember when she ripped up the paper when Ned brought it to her (about him filling in as king temporarily)? I thought about this moment when I heard about this plan.

Truth doesn't matter to her. She'll win at all costs and an undead corpse isn't going to change that one bit.

Seems like a big mistake to me.

Like I pointed out earlier in the thread, she's willing to come to terms with her enemies when it suits her and it suits her to delay Daenerys' siege as long as possible while searching for an opening. It will also suit her to ensure the dead don't sweep over everything once she and Qyburn see the Wight.

She's basically pulling from Essos' mercenary pool now. Plenty of room to get creative. Purchase a mid-tier army to help with the White Walkers, and enlist the Golden Company to capture key territories as everyone else is battling the dead. Good guys win, they'll be in no condition to beat a fresh force. Good guys lose, she has an escape plan to Essos.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Honestly I think Bran would would be able to utilize the army much more than cersei. Cersei ain’t even a warg. If Jon and dany can find a way to use bran they would never have another worry. That’s checkmate.

-griffy-

Banned
Saw it pointed out that in one shot of the preview (possible character death spoiler for next episode?)
the Hound is seen using Gendry's hammer, which might spell bad news for Gendry

I need to confess...

I am so confused by the hand-waving of the white walkers by everyone, including the meisters, when I thought it was an established event in history that was well known which is why Ned took it seriously and knew winter was coming. I was actually pretty let down seeing how plain dumb the meisters are about all this.

Hopefully Sam learns some wizard spells in the scrolls he took. Gotta show up how lazy and incompetent they've become.

Does he want Arya pitted against Sansa in hopes that Arya is out of the picture because he fears her?

He's just trying to stir shit up, because that's what he does. He saw Arya sparring against Brienne and somehow concluded "hmm..I bet she doesn't like her sister. I bet if I meet with a few people in a really suspicious way she will notice and stalk me. Then I can hide my note in a tiny hole in my matress inside my locked room and she will get in somehow and find it and go against her sister". Its really frustrating to see him kind of hanging around for 4 episodes doing nothing but looking shifty, and then execute this far-fetched scheme that includes Arya even though she showed up out of nowhere and he knows nothing about her. Its a really contrived attempt to make him look like a mastermind.

Nameless

Saw it pointed out that in one shot of the preview (possible character death spoiler for next episode?)
the Hound is seen using Gendry's hammer, which might spell bad news for Gendry

Thought so too at first but it looked like
a guy to his right was also wielding a hammer

Einchy

I need to confess...

I am so confused by the hand-waving of the white walkers by everyone, including the meisters, when I thought it was an established event in history that was well known which is why Ned took it seriously and knew winter was coming. I was actually pretty let down seeing how plain dumb the meisters are about all this.

Hopefully Sam learns some wizard spells in the scrolls he took. Gotta show up how lazy and incompetent they've become.

Everyone pretty much believes they're just legends by now, it's why the Night's Watch is pretty much at ruins now and they only get criminals there.

Winter is Coming literally refers to the winter because of how harsh it is there and not necessarily the White Walkers. Even Ned didn't really believe it when he was told they were back.

https://youtu.be/PTzbOA6cTYM?t=2m29s

-griffy-

Banned
I need to confess...

Ned's catch phrase didn't really have anything to do with the Long Night brought on by white walkers, and just to always be prepared for hardships, because (regular seasonal) winter is always coming.

The actual long night winter was so long ago that it's just a folktale. People think it's just a myth.

I need to confess...

White walkers are not an established part of their history. To most it's tales passes down through the ages. Mythology.

Mithrarin

Neo Member
For the shit show that was season 5.

HARDHOME GOD DAMN. NIGHT KING GOD DAMN.

The ending scene will be an iconic TV moment years from now, GOD DAMN.

Why did they recast the night king? :(

The old actor had a more menacing face.
Damn right. I'm still mourning over the loss of the original Night King even though I'm fine with the current one as well. But I hate if they recast major characters in the show.

I really enjoyed this episode apart from the ex machina bullshit right off the start. So they completely ignore the two most important people and act like they never existed? Very sloppy.

Also to my own surprise I'm liking every Jon/Dany scene so far. Jon is starting to grow on Dany and her reaction to Jon deciding to leave Dragonstone was perfect. I've been critizing Emilia for her acting in the past but this season I can't complain at all.

I haven't read anyone predicting that out of the 7 guys everyone except Jon will die. . . I guess I'm the first then :)

Everyone pretty much believes they're just legends by now, it's why the Night's Watch is pretty much at ruins now and they only get criminals there.

Winter is Coming literally refers to the winter because of how harsh it is there and not necessarily the White Walkers. Even Ned didn't really believe it when he was told they were back.

https://youtu.be/PTzbOA6cTYM?t=2m29s

Ned's catch phrase didn't really have anything to do with the Long Night brought on by white walkers, and just to always be prepared for hardships, because (regular seasonal) winter is always coming.

The actual long night winter was so long ago that it's just a folktale. People think it's just a myth.

White walkers are not an established part of their history. To most it's tales passes down through the ages. Mythology.
Thanks folks. I needed to see that clip so thanks for sharing. Man, a rewatch is going to be mind-blowing knowing what comes later.

Neece

I need to confess...

Ned did not take the white walkers seriously. Remember, Ned executed the Night's Watch deserter who said he saw White Walkers.

When he says "winter is coming" that is referring to actual winter, which comes and goes randomly and can last for years. The Starks use that as a motto to remind everyone to be ready for winter when it comes. But there have been hundreds of winters without any white walkers.

Most people in Westeros, even the maesters see the White Walkers as a myth. They haven't been seen in 8,000 years.

Plum

mfw Jon, The Hound, Jorah or Gendry has a "talk about random sentimental thing," scene next episode

google-uncomfterble-slighlity-nervous-doggos-the-dank-5391957.png

You just know that those scenes make it so a character has a 50% chance of surviving the episode.

I fully expect this to happen.

I also fully expect
Cersei to actually be pregnant, since we've got footage of her and Jaime in bed together. I think she's going to have a miscarriage.

I think Cersei said she was pregnant to keep Jaime in check. I think when Jaime finds out Cersei is plotting to kill Dany during a truce and was faking the pregnancy he will kill her to stop all of her crazy ass games. I think he hates being the "King Slayer" and will try to save the Lannister name by offing Cersei.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
so normally smart tarly was so annoyed by his woman that he totally missed rightful king jon snow right?

Einchy

so normally smart tarly was so annoyed by his woman that he totally missed rightful king jon snow right?

I feel like he was just annoyed at how futile everything there felt and not necessarily Gilly.

But yeah, he wasn't paying attention to one of the most important revelations in the show's history. It makes Dany's claim mean squat.

Ned did not take the white walkers seriously. Remember, Ned executed the Night's Watch deserter who said he saw White Walkers.

When he says "winter is coming" that is referring to actual winter, which comes and goes randomly and can last for years. The Starks use that as a motto to remind everyone to be ready for winter when it comes. But there have been hundreds of winters without any white walkers.

Most people in Westeros, even the maesters see the White Walkers as a myth. They haven't been seen in 8,000 years.
I guess my confusion came from the first scene -> dude showing up mentioning WWs ->
Ned proclaims "winter is coming" meme. Forgot about that linked Bran scene. Now I get it haha.

RangerX

Banned
Honestly, having a bad ending would absolutely suck. All this for just a "walking dead" ending? The zombies win! That would absolutely kill this show for me.

I'm the opposite. I hope things don't end well at all. 95% of shows have happy endings. I just want one show that ends in complete and utter abject misery.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
He only cares about things when he reads it himself.

Stannis: "Dragonglass? We have it at Dragonstone."

2 seasons later reading a book...

Sam: "Holy shit there's Dragonglass at Dragonstone!"

Just to remind everyone, spoilertagged images don't work on mobile unless you have disabled images, which most haven't. So linking images that contain spoilers is actually better.

aBarreras

besides a cuck? unlikely.

I liked the davos joke that the producers clearly got from the internet about gendry still rowing.

His arms must be massive now.

Will dany ever give jorah a pity fuck?

what? i mean, the night watch will probably be dissolved after this ends and he can be the lord of house tarly, why wouldnt he have a child with gilly?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
SurrenderDorothy said:
Aerys must have named Viserys heir before he died, since Rhaegar was killed before Aerys. And Dany would come after Viserys.

Anyway, claims don't matter much now as it's all a bid for power. Jon can only be king if he claims it. Since it's by Right of Conquest rather than Birthright.

*quoting from the closed thread*

This reminded me of something Aerys did actually do,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvWInrVgdLM Starts at 02:08

When news came back to King's Landing that Prince Rhaegar had died, Aerys bypassed Rhaegar's own son and instead named Visarys as his heir. Which would explain why Visarys and the Queen were sent to Dragonstone, while Ellia and Rhaegar's children were still kept at KL. So if Aerys did in fact skip over the known legitimate children of Rhaegar, than Jon's claim isn't as strong as one would think since the sitting king at the time changed the order of succession.

Top Bottom