• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Robb-Stark-and-Jon-Snow-jon-snow-and-robb-stark-25048984-283-159.gif

https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fcard%2Fimage%2F120596%2FJun-19-2016_21-37-39.gif

I won't break faith with you again Nameless, not after the gallantry you displayed today.

I see. I'm guilty of a similar thing as I take the word "literally" very seriously.

hahaha, I live close by Steinway and there's people speaking Arabic there all the time. I even caught a missionary on my block trying to cater towards Arab residents. I can read it, but it's hard for me to do so without the vowels. Where is your family from, if you don't mind me asking?

My family is from Egypt.

HMD

Subtitles.

As for "heavy accents", I know that Yanks generally have an aversion to any non-American accent, but do you really find any of the characters difficult to understand?

I'm not a "Yank" not even a European, the English I know is simple American English and accents can throw me off occasionally.

Gin-Shiio

Just watched this. Ya'll leave my boy Jorah alone! So the grandmeister actually left Sam the secret knowledge of Jon's true identity, and the dimwit snaps at Gilly for no reason as she is about to expose it? You are making it hard for me, Tarly.

Just watched this. Ya'll leave my boy Jorah alone! So the grandmeister actually left Sam the secret knowledge of Jon's true identity, and the dimwit snaps at Gilly for no reason as she is about to expose it? You are making it hard for me, Tarly.

He went too long without fucking up. He wouldn't have been Sam anymore if he kept posting W's.

The pacing of this episode was super fast but I think it's okay because there's a much smaller ensemble cast now than seasons 1-6, I think.

I remember several weeks back, someone argued with me about why Davos didn't mention Matthos to Tyrion and alas; he finally did.

Davos is a good man, Jon is a good man for allowing him to stay at Eastwatch.

watching earlier Game of Thrones scenes, I forgot how much I hated Sansa. she was extremely naive to the point where I questioned if she was a Stark. Man has her character changed.

Jon's lineage has no relevance for Sam at this moment. The information was more for us viewers rather than the characters. Not to mention he's frustrated with the citadel and their arrogance. His focus is on the AOTD, Jon's lineage is now in his hands though, so it'll be relevant when the time is right I reckon.

I won't blame Sam for snapping, I'd have probably snapped before that.

The pacing of this episode was super fast but I think it's okay because there's a much smaller ensemble cast now than seasons 1-6, I think.

I remember several weeks back, someone argued with me about why Davos didn't mention Matthos to Tyrion and alas; he finally did.

Davos is a good man, Jon is a good man for allowing him to stay at Eastwatch.

You know my heart was racing the entire time Davos was in KL. He is too pure to die.

frontovik

Banned
watching earlier Game of Thrones scenes, I forgot how much I hated Sansa. she was extremely naive to the point where I questioned if she was a Stark. Man has her character changed.

She hasn't changed .. she's just more inclined to keep her foolish mouth shut more often now. Arya is a far better character than her.

Volimar

She hasn't changed .. she's just more inclined to keep her foolish mouth shut more often now. Arya is a far better character than her.

That's not true. She's much more clever now, just not as clever as she thinks she is. She was right when she was talking to Arya about getting people to work together.

Gin-Shiio

Jon's lineage has no relevance for Sam at this moment. The information was more for us viewers rather than the characters. Not to mention he's frustrated with the citadel and their arrogance. His focus is on the AOTD, Jon's lineage is now in his hands though, so it'll be relevant when the time is right I reckon.

That's not my point. I'd be fuming too if I was Sam. But the grandmeister clearly likes the guy and possibly wanted to let him know about Jon's connection to Dany so they can form an alliance more easily. This is why it's hilariously dumb to me as the viewer to see Sam blow off Gilly about to say out that crucial bit of information. I'm trying really hard not to roll my eyes when Sam is on screen, and I'd be sad to pick the habit back up after he had became bearable as of late!

He's trying to be a father and a teacher and he snapped at an eager young person learning to read and share what she learned because of his own personal issues. He's now taking his family away from relative safety (and an environment where they seemed to be learning) because he wasn't able to immediately and magically fix everything.

People just want to sugar-coat things for him because he's a lovable loser, but he keeps acting like that and he's going to lose the "lovable" qualifier real quick.

Hydrus

Man... I'm starting to get really bummed out that this series is almost over :( Two more episodes left, then nothing for at least another year. Finally 6 more episodes, then it's all over :( This is my favorite show/ film/ media/ anything of all time. Gonna suck saying goodbye to all these characters :( I really hope they go thru with the spinoffs, even if it wont be the same. BTW, we really need a Game of thrones skyrim type game.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Sansa's the only one in Winterfel who knows how dangerous Little Finger is, literally everyone else is getting played. Arya just got played big time.

He's trying to be a father and a teacher and he snapped at an eager young person learning to read and share what she learned because of his own personal issues. He's now taking his family away from relative safety (and an environment where they seemed to be learning) because he wasn't able to immediately and magically fix everything.

People just want to sugar-coat things for him because he's a lovable loser, but he keeps acting like that and he's going to lose the "lovable" qualifier real quick.

Sam needs to find a way to beat the White Walkers once and for all, the Maesters aren't helping him do shit. They've got him making copies of books that aren't even related to the information he needs. If he wasn't stealing books he'd be no further along than he was when he came.

Also, no one is safe if he can't find the information he needs so there's no real point in not going back up to the North to back Jon. Dude's going to need every pair of hands he can get.

Gin-Shiio

By the way, Jorah totally understood his position and Dany's lust for Jon. He even backed off quickly when they said their goodbyes to not give Jon the wrong impression. He said many times now that all he wants to do is serve, and that is all he wants. People take the piss on him too much. His servitude remains my favorite bit of romance in the show.

As for Sansa, she is the chracter that had the most growth throughout the series. How can people hate the badass self she has become? She's more likable than ever.

I don't think that's the case. If the Maesters can't hear him out then he might as well go where he'll be useful. Relative safety has nothing to do with it right now, Westeros is a time bomb, nobody is safe.
He can't spend months just picking up buckets of dung and copying books when he should be researching how to defeat the AOTD. Jon's bloody lineage is absolutely irrelevant with regards to the Long Night.

He knows he's been meandering and got bloody nowhere, only thing he got out of this was the mountain filled with Dragonglass, something Stannis told him before. Not even new information.

He left with many books that will undoubtedly contain information about the Long Night. The book with Jon's lineage will be relevant to other characters, perhaps in Winterfell or Castle Black.

Sam needs to find a way to beat the White Walkers once and for all, the Maesters aren't helping him do shit. They've got him making copies of books that aren't even related to the information he needs. If he wasn't stealing books he'd be no further along than he was when he came.

Also, no one is safe if he can't find the information he needs so there's no real point in not going back up to the North to back Jon. Dude's going to need every pair of hands he can get.

The short time he's been there, he found a cache of obsidian that Jon could mine and saved the life of one of Daenerys's elite knights. He's literally done more in that short time than he had in his entire life up to that point, and there's even strong indications he was making an impression on the Maester that could have benefited him in the long run.

He's a fat sack of shit who completely forgot why he went there (to keep his family safe and because he wasn't much use fighting at the Wall) the moment things didn't completely go his way.

Volimar

The short time he's been there, he found a cache of obsidian that Jon could mine and saved the life of one of Daenerys's elite knights. He's literally done more in that short time than he had in his entire life up to that point, and there's even strong indications he was making an impression on the Maester that could have benefited him in the long run.

He's a fat sack of shit who completely forgot why he went there (to keep his family safe and because he wasn't much use fighting at the Wall) the moment things didn't completely go his way.

It felt like the writers were using him to inflate the sense of urgency.

The One and Done™;246158358 said:
Who's dying next episode?

the bannerless men. they've outlived their purposes.

everyone else survives. there's no way all these important characters will die together here

that would fucking suck

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

He found a mountain of dragon glass that Stannis already told them about and saved the life of a random (to him) knight. That ain't shit, he ain't done shit up there. Really all he's done is find the exact location of the dragon glass that Stannis told them about.

Also, he's a fat sack of shit who is one of the only two men in recorded history to kill a White Walker.

And again, no where is safe anymore. If the North falls it doesn't matter where he and Little Same and Gilly are, they're all dead anyway. Besides, he left because they were in danger at the Wall because the men of the Night's Watch are a bunch of former criminals and rapists and shit. Now Jon's got his own castle, that's no longer an issue.

If he's not finding the information he needs and isn't getting the help they need then there's no longer a point to him staying. He doesn't need to be a Maester anymore, Jon's already got one.

Zabka

He found a mountain of dragon glass that Stannis already told them about and saved the life of a random (to him) knight. That ain't shit, he ain't done shit up there. Really all he's done is find the exact location of the dragon glass that Stannis told them about.

Also, he's a fat sack of shit who is one of the only two men in recorded history to kill a White Walker.

And again, no where is safe anymore. If the North falls it doesn't matter where he and Little Same and Gilly are, they're all dead anyway. Besides, he left because they were in danger at the Wall because the men of the Night's Watch are a bunch of former criminals and rapists and shit. Now Jon's got his own castle, that's no longer an issue.

Stannis didn't say anything about a mountain full of dragonglass or a mine or even a cave. He just said they have it in Dragonstone.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Stannis didn't say anything about a mountain full of dragonglass or a mine or even a cave. He just said they have it in Dragonstone.

Like I said in the sentence that followed, all he's done is find the location of the dragon glass Stannis mentioned.

rackham

Banned
WTF? It's an obvious shift of the structure of the show and stands out like a sore thumb, poeple are totally within their right to discuss and complain about it, it's a jarring change.

You mean the final seasons are a jarring change compared to the rest of the series because the plot points are coming together?

WTF? my god. omg. what the fudge. how can that be possible?

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

Man leave Sam alone lol. I've never really liked Sam, but he's grown on me this season.

also why is Jon surprised to learn Arya & Bran are alive? Brienne told Sansa she saw Arya, Theon told Sansa Bran & Rickon were alive, when Jon talks to Dany she asks if he lost two brothers and he says yes; if at the time he thought the facts were different I thought he would've been like "actually I lost 3 brothers."

so that was kinda weird to me but I guess it was worth it because it's cute how Dany was like "I'm happy for you. ...you don't seem happy."

also why is Jon surprised to learn Arya & Bran are alive? Brienne told Sansa she saw Arya, Theon told Sansa Bran & Rickon were alive, when Jon talks to Dany she asks if he lost two brothers and he says yes; if at the time he thought the facts were different I thought he would've been like "actually I lost 3 brothers."

so that was kinda weird to me but I guess it was worth it because it's cute how Dany was like "I'm happy for you. ...you don't seem happy."

When Brienne said she saw Arya it must've been a long time since then. No one has heard of her since.

With Bran, well. He was North of the wall. Jon knew he went out there and the survival rate for anyone let alone a cripple is very slim.

The "2 brothers" line bugged me as well though.

Fanuilos

I'm not sure why exactly, but I love that little monologue where Jon tells Dany he doesn't need permission and that he's a king. Jon has been so hesitant to really accept his role and it was nice to see him own it for once.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm not sure why exactly, but I love that little monologue where Jon tells Dany he doesn't need permission and that he's a king. Jon has been so hesitant to really accept his role and it was nice to see him own it for once.

And she was totally hot for him in that moment.

Gin-Shiio

I wonder, does Jorah see Jon as another Daario? I know Jorah didn't respect Daario and Daario was a bad influence on Dany anyway. I'm not sure what Jorah thought of Khal Drogo though.

Jorah sees Jon as a solid marriage prospect and likes him well enough to go with him on a suicide mission beyond the wall. He said he'd do it to serve Dany, but if you think that through it boils down to Jorah keeping the man he could tell she likes safe. I wouldn't be surprised to see him die protecting Jon, telling him about Dany's feelings for him. And he does it all for her. What a man.

Zabka

It's literally the third sentence of the post. Go check, I'll wait.

Literally did not happen. Your complaining does not make sense without that misconception.

Stannis said "I know what it is, we have it on Dragonstone." That's it. For all Sam knew at the time they had a dragonglass wind chime.

Top Bottom