• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Hydrus

Final Season Dream:
Ep1 - Alex Graves - Mountain vs Hound
Ep2 - Alex Graves - Jaime and Brienne vs Euron
Ep3 - Jack Bender - Secret Origin of the Night King (Complete Edition)
Ep4 - Miguel Sapochnik - Some Cool Shit
Ep5 - Miguel Sapochnik - More Cool Shit
Ep6 - Miguel Sapochnik - The Coolest Shit

This would be awesome.

Seven Hells...
ftyv1px8mthz.jpg

holy shit.

literally thought those were different people...

facial hair is weird man.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
That part early in "Spoils of War pt.1" where Drogon and Dany appear and then she says "Dracarys!"

giphy.gif

This is such a minor detail, I know, but I hate how Daenerys now says "Dracarys" with a thick British accent -- listen to those R's! It's so glaring because English R's are kind of a unique sound that's not featured in many languages around the globe. To me, it sounds almost as ridiculous as Brad Pitt trying to fool Christoph Waltz in Inglourious Basterds with his horrible Italian accent. "Gorlomi" indeed.

The word is supposed to have an actual meaning in High Valyrian, which is her mother tongue and what the dragons understand, but now it's been fully dumbed down to "cool catchphrase" status spoken by a character who apparently forgot it's her native language.

For a show that prides itself on having elaborate constructed languages (and dialects within those languages too!) and even delves into the character's progress as she learns other languages, this is a lazy oversight.

Rewatched the episode again with my sis watching for the first time. She went on like a 20 min rant on where deus ex uncle benjen machina came from and why the fuck he said "no time" when they could have ridden a horse.

giphy.gif

This is an episode that could have been top 3 with better directing and writing, yet it doesn't even hit top 25 for me. Still a very good ep since GoT always delivers, but too many glaring flaws that hold it back. I read here yesterday that a producer said ep 6 would make Hardhome look like nothing in comparison? Dude must have been on a lot of drugs when he/she said that dumb shit. It was the ultimate Hollywood hackey ass writing.

It was the worst written episode of the entire show.

He didn't wanted Jon to be stuck at the wall, it was Jon's own choice. He just respected that and maybe because when Jon would finally takes his vows his claim would be null & void. That way even if anyone finds out in the future Ned could just say that the boy is harmless being at the wall, has no claim and the night watch is his family now (atleast he thought he could convince everyone with that IMO)
It never seemed like he wanted to stop Jon. He was never like "listen, think real hard about this because there's no turning back." the only scene we get with them his him encouraging Jon. "it's a great honor to serve in the Night's Watch, Starks have been doing it for hundreds of years."
1. Dylan
2. Dylan
3. Dylan
4. Dylan
5. Dylan

No point in a sixth, Dylan already gave you the best 5 episode in tv history.
does Dylan spit hot fire as hot as Dany's dragons tho?

Volimar

I just figured that Benjen was done. It must have been horrible living that half life, never being able to go back to the wall. I figured this was his way out. Saving Jon made him feel like he had fulfilled his purpose and now he could finally die.

zoukka

The more I think about The Night King and the army of dead waiting for days for a crack in ice to freeze the more my head hurts. Like how didn't anyone in the writing department say out loud what everyone must've been thinking: this is bullshit.

SummitAve

Banned
The more I think about The Night King and the army of dead waiting for days for a crack in ice to freeze the more my head hurts. Like how didn't anyone in the writing department say out loud what everyone must've been thinking: this is bullshit.

I thought they were waiting for the dragon to show up unless they just carry around surface to air dragon missiles for the hell of it.

Bluenoser

I just wanna call bullshit on those ice spears. So a dragon killer barely makes a scratch, but a spear made of ice thrown by an undead human fucks up a dragon.... wtf?

That ending scene though.... when I saw them pulling the chains, I was like oh man, I can't believe I forgot about that option... it's gonna be like a Final Fantasy game, or Dark Souls .... undead dragon. Just epic.

zoukka

I thought they were waiting for the dragon to show up unless they just carry around surface to air dragon missiles for the hell of it.

wat? They moved in as soon as the ice was frozen.

I just wanna call bullshit on those ice spears. So a dragon killer barely makes a scratch, but a spear made of ice thrown by an undead human fucks up a dragon.... wtf?

It was most likely a magical spear. And the Night King is a bit more than some undead guy :b

PixelatedBookake

That ending scene though.... when I saw them pulling the chains, I was like oh man, I can't believe I forgot about that option... it's gonna be like a Final Fantasy game, or Dark Souls .... undead dragon. Just epic.

I just figured the ice spear was magic and he threw it REALLY hard

Bluenoser

It was most likely a magical spear. And the Night King is a bit more than some undead guy :b

Its not like its a normal icicle. We've seen their ice weapons completely disintegrate steel before.

I just figured the ice spear was magic and he threw it REALLY hard

Yeah, I realize there's some special magic powers in the weapon, but like everything else, we just have to guess :p

By the way what happened to the 3rd dragon? I could have sworn she took 3 with her, and you only saw her leaving on one.

zoukka

Yeah, I realize there's some special magic powers in the weapon, but like everything else, we just have to guess :p

We don't really have to guess. Everything about the scene points towards those icy weapons being important and powerful. You don't have to spell everything out in storytelling.

Bluenoser

We don't really have to guess. Everything about the scene points towards those icy weapons being important and powerful. You don't have to spell everything out in storytelling.

Fair enough. I guess there had to be a match for those dragons somewhere.

Yeah, that bit bothered on first view but made sense on the second time (though director could have executed it better). A big issue was the Wights turning into the biggest bums of the 7 Kingdoms, up there with the Ironborns. They didn't kill ANYONE. Thousands charged at 6 fucking people and literally no one died.

Its not like its a normal icicle. We've seen their ice weapons completely disintegrate steel before.

Whoa, watching that again made me think that the Night King never wanted to kill Jon because he knows his role in the future. That white walker could have just stabbed him in the back when he bent over to grab the dragonglass! but plenty of moments the WW just used other means to beat him around. As if the night king is controlling all of the other white walkers as how bran would worg into other things in the world. #mindblown

Mithrarin

Neo Member
So many amazing soundtracks. Ramin Djawadi is a master of his craft.

Truth, Dragonstone, The Spoils of War, Gorgeous Beasts, Winter is Here, Against all Odds and See You For What you are my favourites. But nothing comes close to The Army of the Dead. . .

after hearing it, I'm even more convinced that
at the end of the episode the Wall is going to collapse and the NK and his army marching towards Winterfell will be the final shot

zoukka

Whoa, watching that again made me think that the Night King never wanted to kill Jon because he knows his role in the future. That white walker could have just stabbed him in the back when he bent over to grab the dragonglass! but plenty of moments the WW just used other means to beat him around. As if the night king is controlling all of the other white walkers as how bran would worg into other things in the world. #mindblown

That is the only reasonable explanation to last episode and why the Night King didn't kill Jon and his friends.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Yeah, that bit bothered on first view but made sense on the second time (though director could have executed it better). A big issue was the Wights turning into the biggest bums of the 7 Kingdoms, up there with the Ironborns. They didn't kill ANYONE. Thousands charged at 6 fucking people and literally no one died.

But they did kill some? And from Hardhome we know they can kill an entire settlement in minutes. The only reason they held out for as long as they did while under assault is because they had some of the best warriors outfitted with Valyrean steel, dragonglass, and magic. Even then without dragons coming in at last minute they would have only held out for 5 minutes (its literally like 5 minutes from when the Hound misses the throw and the wights realize the lake is frozen to when they are a hair away from being overrun).

But they did kill some? And from Hardhome we know they can kill an entire settlement in minutes. The only reason they held out for as long as they did while under assault is because they had some of the best warriors outfitted with Valyrean steel, dragonglass, and magic. Even then without dragons coming in at last minute they would have only held out for 5 minutes (its literally like 5 minutes from when the Hound misses the throw and the wights realize the lake is frozen to when they are a hair away from being overrun).

What do you mean killed some? None of the 6 soldiers were killed (most even harmed lol). I get that they were the best swordsmen, that's why a few could make it in time for Danny. But there were thousands of wights and they literally took turns attacking instead of all jumping over one another and killing them. It was weird because even though I watched it, I didn't have the sense of fear and dread that I did for Hardhome. I was thinking that yeah another will bite it (Dondarion) and all will be dandy. This was just hollywood shit. A bunch of talented people wreck thousands for a bit just because it's so fucking cool to see! Remember s5 premiere? The Hound almost died going against THREE soldiers. Three, that was a few minutes of fighting as well. This episode for me anyways, really fucked up the whole wights are deadly as long as plot decides it to be. :\

^ I hope the theory above is correct that NK is letting Jon live because when they walked away it made no sense to allow your biggest or 2nd biggest obstacle potentially live just because reasons.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
What do you mean killed some? None of the 6 soldiers were killed (most even harmed lol). I get that they were the best swordsmen, that's why a few could make it in time for Danny. But there were thousands of wights and they literally took turns attacking instead of all jumping over one another and killing them. It was weird because even though I watched it, I didn't have the sense of fear and dread that I did for Hardhome. I was thinking that yeah another will bite it (Dondarion) and all will be dandy. This was just hollywood shit. A bunch of talented people wreck thousands for a bit just because it's so fucking cool to see! Remember s5 premiere? The Hound almost died going against THREE soldiers. Three, that was a few minutes of fighting as well. This episode for me anyways, really fucked up the whole wights are deadly as long as plot decides it to be. :\

^ I hope the theory above is correct that NK is letting Jon live because when they walked away it made no sense to allow your biggest or 2nd biggest obstacle potentially live just because reasons.

The undead didnt kill any of the main cast outside of Thoros but there were several red shirts that bit it. They were behind the main cast as they were exiting the Wall.. they were the ones pulling the sled and supplies. i say just make Jorah do that shit but i guess they needed some cannon fodder.

The undead didnt kill any of the main cast outside of Thoros but there were several red shirts that bit it. They were behind the main cast as they were exiting the Wall.. they were the ones pulling the sled and supplies. i say just make Jorah do that shit but i guess they needed some cannon fodder.

Thoros was killed by the Bear. I'm talking when thousands attacked them, which I believe 2 red shirts were bodied. Anyways, I don't think we're gonna agree on it. I think it was shitty superhero writing that goes against how Thrones has been written so far while making wights look like total bums, and you clearly don't.

kingslunk

I'm ready for the show to end on a massive cliff hanger next season with a fade to a black exit screen with white text saying:

The Winds of Winter Early 2019

writing that goes against how Thrones has been written so far

The very problem with this is that prior to S6 it became very common to see people complain more and more about the opposite and that it in itself was becoming predictable and formulaic.

We've had 5 seasons of taking L's and not even a full 2 of wins and this is now a complaint.

Regardless, you wouldn't be able to satisfy everyone.

Keep killing and it's so obvious.

Let them win and it's typical fantasy.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Thoros was killed by the Bear. I'm talking when thousands attacked them, which I believe 2 red shirts were bodied. Anyways, I don't think we're gonna agree on it. I think it was shitty superhero writing that goes against how Thrones has been written so far while making wights look like total bums, and you clearly don't.
The wights definitely seemed less powerful and more Romero this epuside than in the hold the door episode where they were world war z style.

Volimar

Yeah the online complaints are pretty old. A better barometer is watching the reaction videos. Like the Burlington Bar one. I remember when Bronn comes out of the water with Jaime and you can literally see someone say "bullllllshit". But then other scenes that people bitch about online get huge reactions from fans.

JDB

Banned
The very problem with this is that prior to S6 it became very common to see people complain more and more about the opposite and that it in itself was becoming predictable and formulaic.

We've had 5 seasons of taking L's and not even a full 2 of wins and this is now a complaint.

It's not about killing people off. It's about punishing bad decisions. Now literally every character does constant dumb shit and is mostly fine. Losing a dragon was one of the few actual consequences of bad decisions and even that was handled very poorly.

I think the NK was more intrigued at what this small group of humans were doing. They were coming in to steal Wight, which shouldn't make sense to him. Waiting them out made sense as he didn't have to sacrifice more of his army on a trivial amount of dudes.

I didn't complain lol .. I've always found those complains without merit. Thrones kills good and bad without mercy, unlike most fantasy series only the bad get such treatment. That to me is one of its huge appeals, the story doesn't have favorites for the most part. I don't see how the good guys have "taken Ls" through 5 seasons. Many bad guys and victories happened for good guys during this time as well.

The wights definitely seemed less powerful and more Romero this epuside than in the hold the door episode where they were world war z style.

good point :S

It's not about killing people off. It's about punishing bad decisions. Now literally every character does constant dumb shit and is mostly fine. Losing a dragon was one of the few actual consequences of bad decisions and even that was handled very poorly.

Precisely. They're now putting characters in death situations due to dumb decisions and everything is ok just because. Like I said, I have decades worth of tv shows for that kinda writing.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Yeah the online complaints are pretty old. A better barometer is watching the reaction videos. Like the Burlington Bar one. I remember when Bronn comes out of the water with Jaime and you can literally see someone say "bullllllshit". But then other scenes that people bitch about online get huge reactions from fans.

That was more egregious that anything that happened in the last episode imo.

I didn't complain lol

I think it was shitty superhero writing that goes against how Thrones has been written so far.

tumblr_inline_mkxloynDoY1rjy1jb.gif

Also, I never said anything about good guys taking L's. Just L's....I personally hated a few bad character deaths and wish they were still around, Joffrey, Stannis, Tywin to name a few. But be it good or bad, or morally grey...there was a pretty obvious trend and people started complaining about it, there are none of those complains any more though, they've moved onto something else, that being, what you mentioned.

Ravelle

Seven Hells...
ftyv1px8mthz.jpg

My gods, It's Alan Tudyk!

That is the only reasonable explanation to last episode and why the Night King didn't kill Jon and his friends.

Didn't kill Jon and Pals? He sent an entire horde after them, killed Thoros, almost killed Thormund, would have killed Jon if it wasn't for Jon's Valyrian blade when the general went after him, Jon almost drowned and then got attacked while he was out, and threw a spear at one of the Dragons with all of his friends on it.

Hagi

Water doesn't even seem that big of a deal to them as previously thought. Two of them jump out of the water to drag Tormund under and somehow at the end they managed to get massive chains around the dragons neck to pull it out.

Really interested in seeing how they are going to deal with the wall. Maybe the ice dragon will just freeze the water beside it and they'll all walk around it lol

Killing, bad decisions, whatever.

It was an example, should I fill my post with every single complaint people have had over the years? lol

tumblr_inline_mkxloynDoY1rjy1jb.gif

Also, I never said anything about good guys taking L's. Just L's....I personally hated a few bad character deaths and wish they were still around, Joffrey, Stannis, Tywin to name a few. But be it good or bad, or morally grey...there was a pretty obvious trend and people started complaining about it, there are none of those complains any more though, they've moved onto something else, that being, what you mentioned.
Are you insinuating that I did complain about character deaths and have moved on to complaining about what I just said.. because if so

trial.gif

I did hate what happened to a ton of my fave characters and miss some good and bad, but it progresses the story dynamics entirely when this happens so I'm cool with it.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Does anyone else feel like Gendre got ugly? Like, before he was kinda handsome, now he looks weird and ugly (TV show ugly, not real life ugly). It was so jarring I asked my wife if they recast him, but she said they had not.

From this:
latest

To this:
game-of-thrones-season-7-episode-5-gendry.png

Volimar

Does anyone else feel like Gendre got ugly? Like, before he was kinda handsome, now he looks weird and ugly (TV show ugly, not real life ugly). It was so jarring I asked my wife if they recast him, but she said they had not.

From this:
latest

To this:
game-of-thrones-season-7-episode-5-gendry.png

Nah man, I think I could actually hear thousands of panties drop when he turned around.

Top Bottom