• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Loved that 7 seasons of plotting ended up in LF dying abruptly. It was a good feeling, killing a main character off without dotting all their i's first.

The actual scene could've used a little more build-up, but that's ok.

Man's become a pillock who thinks with his dick.

Man...what happened?

You mean the same way he did back in S2 with Ygritte when he let her live and it lead him to being captured by the wildlings?

got-17-ygritte-jon.gif

mm04

For a nano-second I felt kinda sad that LF started crying like a bitch when he knew the gig was up. But the guy had it coming for a LONG time. Loved the Jon and Theon scene. I must be part Stark because I still believe in the good in Theon and he will redeem himself. So proud of Jaime for finally saying, F it, I'm going to go North and lead an attack against the WWs. I did think he was a dead man for a quick second though...I was like No...Jaime can't go out at the hands of the damn Mountain. Thank goodness it was just a bluff. Anyway, great finale and season. Legit sad that next season is the last. Showrunners better go Kurt Sutter and make every damn episode at least 90 minutes each. Except don't make the last season a shambles like Sutter did SOA. Well, to be more accurate, like the last 3 seasons of SOA.

Total cringe-worthy hypothetical here:

--Jon is Daenerys' Nephew.

--Jon is Sansa's Cousin.

What's higher-rated on the Incest Scale? Marrying your cousin or marrying your aunt?

And for giggles, which one do you marry and which one do you kill - taking into consideration political alliances.
Marrying your cousin is not considered incest in many parts of the world, and is even encouraged in some. Marrying your aunt is not at all considered ok anywhere. Even the Targs kept to their generational siblings.

MartyStu

I think they wrote this episode to make us wonder if something like that would happen. He tells Cersei he loved Tommen and Myrcella, which is true, he only hated Joffrey because he was an evil piece of shit. When he finds out she is pregnant, the scene cuts off and we don't know what else they talked about, then we find out she actually is lying about joining Dany and Jon and then there's the scene with Tyrion looking at Dany's cabinet with an odd expression in his face. It could be all red herring but they've definitely planted the seeds for a possible betrayal.

There is definitely something there, but Tyrion is not nearly stupid enough to ally with Cersei.

D&D on the other hand...

Loxley

His execution served to highlight the fact that Littlefinger had zero actual friends. He was never loved, only tolerated out of necessity.

Yep, Littlefiinger's methods of survival were good for keeping himself alive, but as a result he fostered absolutely zero loyalty from anyone. Turns out no one will rush to your defense after a lifetime of screwing everyone over in order to get ahead. I think it was actually a great way for the character to go - the whole thing caused him to show his true colors. For all the posturing that LF did, and for as much as he presented himself as the smooth motherfucker - when push came to shove he was a pathetic coward.

Jarmel

Banned
Do you think Ned would have lied in that situation?

They were other stances he could have taken other than openly outing his allegiance. He could have worded it way better than he did. He's also broken oaths in the past too and this would have been closer to a white lie more than anything else.

wandering

Banned
Jon on the show at least has always been an emotions first kind of dude. He's always had his heart on his sleeve. Nothing here felt out of character at all to me

Except where he was weirdly adamant about not lying despite having already done so for the greater good when he was with the Wildlings way back in season 2.

mm04

Jon on the show at least has always been an emotions first kind of dude. He s always had his heart on his sleeve. Nothing here felt out of character at all to me

Yep, dude was ready to solo the Night King after Viseron got killed. He also stood in front of a damn stampede of soldiers after Rickon forgot to zig-zag when running from an archer. He doesn't give an F when triggered.

qcf x2

Do we think Martin is dark enough to have that baby die in Dany's womb and be turned by the Night King and ultimately tear her apart from the inside? After of course more fast forward fuckery.

Yes, but he isn't writing this mess. Their baby will be just fine.

Do you think Ned would have lied in that situation?

Ned always did the wrong thing. Well, not always, but quite often.

Also, to the person saying that Jaime pushed Bran to protect Cersei, uhhh... he did it of his own free will, because he didn't want word to get out.

I wonder how this plays out. Does Bran still tell Jon once he finds out they are fucking? If he does how do the two of them react? Still keep going through with it or call it off?

Nah, keep it going. Targaryen tradition. Pretty sure Viserys would have married her if he didn't need to pawn her off to get an army to take back the Iron Throne.

He was really openly touchy and amorous with her during his stint in the show.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
How are people viewing Ned's honor?

His friend started a war over a lie and when Ned learned the truth he did nothing to restore balance to the realm. Robert sat on a throne of lies while Ned hid away in the North with the true king of Westeros being treated poorly by his wife.

Better that than the other outcome. Cause remember even after the war ended Robert wanted to kill every last Targaryean that still drew breath. Ned honored his sister by keeping Jon's true parentage to himself. Still the GOAT in my book.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I thought Ned refusing to lie about his oath was one of the more earned character moments this season.

My favorite was Tyrion offering his sister the one thing they ever bonded over, wine.

I think the show writers were trying to convince us that he was dumb enough to believe he could convince Sansa to kill Arya and declare war against the dragon queen. If they allied with Cersei and built more ballistas it could even have worked, clean up Cersei's armies afterwards and take the Iron Throne.

The crucially stupid part of this plan is believing he could make Sansa betray her family for nothing but ambition. Littlefinger just isn't dumb to believe he can say: "Think the worst of Arya!" and suddenly see Sansa execute her little sister and declare war against her brother

Jon telling LF, he would kill him if he touched his sister, is enough to try some manipulation. What he didn't count on, is Sansa and Arya relationship with Bran and Bran revealing all of his treacherous behavior.

Yep, dude was ready to solo the Night King after Viseron got killed. He also stood in front of a damn stampede of soldiers after Rickon forgot to zig-zag when running from an archer. He doesn't give an F when triggered.

Yeah it's always been Jon's biggest weakness imo. He thinks / acts with his emotions much more than by "logic / smarts". We've seen him do it many times

megalowho

That whole arc was pretty disappointing, they were so focused on obfuscating a twist that everyone could see coming a mile away anyway, that they failed to sell it. They should have played it straight and shown us the Starks outwitting LF.
They should have just shown Arya and Sansa deliberately acting for the benefit of LF listening outside during their confrontation, would have made more sense.

KHarvey16

idk reading few pages back about plotting with Cersei after knowing she was pregnant.

I'm still confused about what that face meant while Dany and Jon were making love.

I think they wrote this episode to make us wonder if something like that would happen. He tells Cersei he loved Tommen and Myrcella, which is true, he only hated Joffrey because he was an evil piece of shit. When he finds out she is pregnant, the scene cuts off and we don't know what else they talked about, then we find out she actually is lying about joining Dany and Jon and then there's the scene with Tyrion looking at Dany's cabinet with an odd expression in his face. It could be all red herring but they've definitely planted the seeds for a possible betrayal.

I'm not buying it. If any "plotting" happened between them it was Tyrion lying to Cersei. He's full on with the we must kill the white walkers thing and siding with Cersei is the opposite of that.

They were other stances he could have taken other than openly outing his allegiance. He could have also worded it way better than he did. He's also broken oaths in the past too and this would have been closer to a white lie more than anything else.

Just because you don't agree with a character's choice doesn't mean it's poorly written or not in keeping with that character's personality.

WaterAstro

I wonder if Jon is going to pull a Daemon Targaryen and jump from a dragon to the Night King and stab him in the eye with Longclaw...

And die from the fall.

NolbertoS

Holy shit, Night King has his dragon using ice breath. Well the wall fell pretty quickly. Man, so Daenarys and Jon Snow's kid will be King of the Iron Throne.

Jarmel

Banned
Just because you don't agree with a character's choice doesn't mean it's poorly written or not in keeping with that character's personality.

It's not though as Jon does break oaths or lies when he feels it's necessary. That was why he got killed in the first place.

I don't know how anyone thinks the sansa arya arc was garbage this season. It would have been better off just not having them be in this season much at all. It was pretty much filler

They *never* trusted Littlefinger. Even if he had thought he was actually innocent of what he was accused of, he might have bit his tongue just to be rid of Littlefinger. From the perspective of the Vale nights, Sansa is the niece of their late Lord/Lady and the Lady of Winterfell, and LF is just some prick who showed up and made things shit. Their loyalty is to the Arryn's and Sansa is of the same family. So yes, the word of a Stark (or 3) is enough, especially if it's the Lady of Winterfell.

Plus the explanation makes to much sense to just ignore.
Yeah that makes sense. Combined with what others pointed out about Littlefinger threatening the Knights' commander. But I still think he needed a fair trial and getting hung for his crimes. Getting his throat gashed by Arya in front of all the lords and stuff just felt out of character. It's something Ramsay would do.

It's not though as Jon does break oaths or lies when he feels it's necessary. That was why he got killed in the first place.

Jon never lied about that, he was always honest with his intentions.

Also, he didn't break any oaths...The wall wasn't built to keep the Wildlings out, it was built to keep the dead out.

And he thought with his dick back in S2 with Ygritte.

This is Jon being in character.

Top Bottom