• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

demolitio

Just had a young kid at the store say I looked like someone from Game of Thrones to his sister which brings up 2 things:

1. First, thanks for complimenting the beard.

2. Second, why the hell is a young kid watching this? I mean, I was allowed to watch plenty of rated R movies when I was young, but nothing as consistently raunchy as GoT...lol

Peagles

Just had a young kid at the store say I looked like someone from Game of Thrones to his sister which brings up 2 things:

2. Second, why the hell is a young kid watching this? I mean, I was allowed to watch plenty of rated R movies when I was young, but nothing as consistently raunchy as GoT...lol

How old was this kid? I watched Sopranos with my Dad when it aired, think I was 12 when it started.

People are probably more willing to let their kids watch GoT (compared to something like Sopranos) cos it's fantasy based too.

demolitio

How old was this kid? I watched Sopranos with my Dad when it aired, think I was 12 when it started.

People are probably more willing to let their kids watch GoT (compared to something like Sopranos) cos it's fantasy based too.

10 or so I'd say. The Sopranos was one of the few shows I wasn't allowed watching until the later seasons but the rules seemed flexible for me depending on the subject matter.

For GoT, I'm just surprised due to how sexual it is and it's a such a dark world. Then again, maybe the kid wouldn't understand a lot of it anyway. I'm pretty sure he wasn't having a debate with his parents whether Jaime raped Cersei or not like on here. :D

Just surprised me, but then again, my cousin lets her 4 and 2 year olds watch anything and it shows. They're crazy...lol

Maybe you're right about the fantasy part though. With The Sopranos, it was because of the setting among other things.

10 or so I'd say. The Sopranos was one of the few shows I wasn't allowed watching until the later seasons but the rules seemed flexible for me depending on the subject matter.

For GoT, I'm just surprised due to how sexual it is and it's a such a dark world. Then again, maybe the kid wouldn't understand a lot of it anyway. I'm pretty sure he wasn't having a debate with his parents whether Jaime raped Cersei or not like on here. :D

Just surprised me, but then again, my cousin lets her 4 and 2 year olds watch anything and it shows. They're crazy...lol

Maybe you're right about the fantasy part though. With The Sopranos, it was because of the setting among other things.

The violence shoots far past anything sexual shown on the show.

My sister's best friend whose either 15 or 16 started watching GoT with her 13 year old sister and even I think that's way too early. My sister turns 16 years in a month or so, and I told her to wait until her birthday to watch, the hype of season 4 has really got her interested. This is the only show I've debated on whether I should watch with her, as there's so much sex and family love which is just too damn weird...

demolitio

The violence shoots far past anything sexual shown on the show.

Yes, but violence is a lot more acceptable to most parents for whatever reason since it can be explained away as make believe whereas sex and other dark subjects usually lead to uncomfortable questions...lol

Even with The Sopranos early on, I think I wasn't allowed watching it due to the nonstop cursing and some of the sex scenes whereas the violence was bad but could be handled.

Just how people think I guess.

Yes, but violence is a lot more acceptable to most parents for whatever reason since it can be explained away as make believe whereas sex and other dark subjects usually lead to uncomfortable questions...lol

Even with The Sopranos early on, I think I wasn't allowed watching it due to the nonstop cursing and some of the sex scenes whereas the violence was bad but could be handled.

Just how people think I guess.

I find it's mostly Americans who take this viewpoint. But I can agree that the subject matter of the show really isn't appropriate in general for preteens.

T.O.P

Banned
Joe_Dempsie-200.jpg

Getting obsessed with this dude, damn you GoT

Hope to see him back asap :3

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm not sure what's worse: being spoiled by friends/strangers in casual, dumb conversation. Or the actors spoiling the goddamn show during interviews.

I've had both.

Nameless

Friends. Is it that difficult to understand what constitutes a spoiler? Or can people just not fuckin help themselves?

"I won't give anything away, just pay attention when *drops big spoiler* ".

That's a real conversation. Literally spoiled in the same sentence I was assured I wouldn't be. Friends are assholes. Haven't talked Thrones with her since.

Friends. Is it that difficult to understand what constitutes a spoiler? Or can people just not fuckin help themselves?

"I won't give anything away, just pay attention when *drops big spoiler* ".

That's a real conversation. Literally spoiled in the same sentence I was assured I wouldn't be. Friends are assholes. Haven't talked Thrones with her since.
The people who read the GoT books seem to be the biggest douchebags out of any group of people when it comes to spoiling things. And that's not even looking at attitude of I know more than you because I can read like everybody else. I also don't understand when people say what out for this one, or this one is a true villain in my eyes (seriously, how fucking stupid can you be to say this), I wouldn't give up on this person, they're not all that bad/good, only 2-3 options are possible here etc etc. Other than one thing that I believe is pretty big and 3 much smaller spoilers, thankfully I've been ok. The good thing is not to get spoiled of Ned's and then Red Wedding. My sister was spoiled that Joffrey dies and she was pissed before even starting to watch the show. She said at school, two best friends watch it. One of them watched it and knew the other didn't in regards to Joffrey's death, so he called his friend. His friend opened the phone, he said Joffrey's dead and then shut it off. -_-

I'm not including gaf here though, you guys seem pretty awesome in this regard. I've even mentioned two things in regards to spoilers here.. one of them I think is pretty big in regards to a spoiler and two people have sent me PMs to discuss it without giving anything away.

kubus

Ah, we're discussing idiot friends who spoil things now? Good. I've got a story as well.

For last week's episode, one of my friends posted "Hodor ;A;" on facebook. Someone righteously called her out for that, but she and her friends (who never watched GoT) went all defense mode. I saw the most idiotic arguments being made. Couple of examples:

"How is that a spoiler?"
"But it's not a spoiler. I'm just saying a character's name."
"Maybe it wasn't even related to the episode. I might've just done a Hodor impersonation."
"Some people like spoilers. They only become interested in a show because they hear stuff about it" (SRSLY???)
"You saying it's a spoiler is a spoiler in itself"
"Just don't overanalyze it"

But hey, it's not like thanks to her comment that I knew right away when they showed Bran's group that something bad would happen to them! Noooo, not at all...

Fuck people. She also almost spoiled The Walking Dead 2x (!!) for me. I like her in real life, but I've stopped following her posts now. :/

I find it's mostly Americans who take this viewpoint. But I can agree that the subject matter of the show really isn't appropriate in general for preteens.

All the violence in a movie/show is 100% fake, thus is easily explained to younger audience.

Sexual stuff despite the act of it being fake is still real,
you show a penis or vagina and its real and the discussion that it might require is bigger than that show/movie itself.

BraXzy

Ah, we're discussing idiot friends who spoil things now? Good. I've got a story as well.

For last week's episode, one of my friends posted "Hodor ;A;" on facebook. Someone righteously called her out for that, but she and her friends (who never watched GoT) went all defense mode. I saw the most idiotic arguments being made. Couple of examples:

"How is that a spoiler?"

Christ. This pisses me off no end. When people mention things that aren't direct revelations but insinuate, or mention small details and are then like.. "What? That's not a spoiler, I'm just mentioning that there are really cool Demon guys in the show, look out for it."

It might not be something huge, but it detracts from the overall experience, or ruins a build up, or a special moment.

People who've read the books seem to be the worst at not spoiling it for the rest of us. For some reason it feels like they just can't shut the fuck up about what happens in the book. I almost never want to hear intricate details of the plot of whatever book you're reading but I especially don't want to hear such details when I'm trying to watch a show based on said book.

I have an Uncle who thinks he's a PhD or something because he read the whole series over a few months and is just soooo eager to "enlighten" everyone else about characters and plot lines. It's ridiculous. Thankfully, nobody bothers to mention GoT around him anymore since he can't himself. "Just wait till..." What the fuck dude?!

Are complaining about Shae?

Apparently. It's true that she's not the one who gave the most colorful performance, but she did won the equivalent of an oscar in Germany. It's not that she's a bad actress, it's that she's not as comfortable performing in English as she is in German, I think.

I don't mind Shae. Her acting is allright and doesn't detract from the scenes. She's far too clingy and seems to be oblivious of the danger she is in to the point of stupidity, but that has to do more with her personality rather than the actress herself.

Some people just lack empathy when it comes to spoiling stuff for others. Off topic, but my boss had the latest season of the Walking Dead on the tv at work. I hadn't seen the last two season so I went to ask him if he was watching it and if he'd mind me turning it off since I hadn't seen that far. Well, I got as far as "are you watching that?" and he proceeded to string together 3-4 rapid fire spoilers "oh yea, I just watched this, this, this, and that happen!" I just kinda just stood there shocked saying "...i'm haven't seen this season yet..." He pretty much moved on like nothing happened, not even a "my bad."

Granted, it's not the same as book readers spoiling GoT for tv veiwers, but it just crystallized for me how some people lack the red flag that goes off right before most people blurt out a potential spoiler. "Oh, have you got that far?" "Do you care If I spoil something?" A simple courtesy. Either getting something spoiled isn't a big deal to them, or the red flag just never occurs.

Klocker

Some people just lack empathy when it comes to spoiling stuff for others. Off topic, but my boss had the latest season of the Walking Dead on the tv at work. I hadn't seen the last two season so I went to ask him if he was watching it and if he'd mind me turning it off since I hadn't seen that far. Well, I got as far as "are you watching that?" and he proceeded to string together 3-4 rapid fire spoilers "oh yea, I just watched this, this, this, and that happen!" I just kinda just stood there shocked saying "...i'm haven't seen this season yet..." He pretty much moved on like nothing happened, not even a "my bad."

Granted, it's not the same as book readers spoiling GoT for tv veiwers, but it just crystallized for me how some people lack the red flag that goes off right before most people blurt out a potential spoiler. "Oh, have you got that far?" "Do you care If I spoil something?" A simple courtesy. Either getting something spoiled isn't a big deal to them, or the red flag just never occurs.

I really think some people just don't appreciate the significance. It's why most movie trailers today give away 75% of the story, because people are impatient. They therefore assume that everybody else wants to know NOW...what is going to happen so they can tell the cool story to you and then send you off to watch as if by some magic you will enjoy even more now that you are expecting it to happen... or something

or they're douchebags

Peagles

I really think some people just don't appreciate the significance. It's why most movie trailers today give away 75% of the story, because people are impatient. They therefore assume that everybody else wants to know NOW...what is going to happen so they can tell the cool story to you and then send you off to watch as if by some magic you will enjoy even more now that you are expecting it to happen... or something

or they're douchebags

I know a lot of people like this. I'll be telling them about something and they'll be all like "Sounds cool! What happens in the end?" Lol.

pestul

I can't understand the mentality of people who go ahead and spoil everything for themselves without at least reading the books first. My Brother-in-law and also a co-worker have done this with some GoT Wiki...

Why would you do that to yourself? Greater than half of my enjoyment with this show is linked to all the surprises and twists. I know it's still a fun ride for the book readers, but it can't be all that great for those just reading the twists.. can it?

And my Dad is the worst for casually dropping book spoilers. I try not even bringing up the series with him anymore. It's a difficult task with a new episode coming out every week and the customary family dinner every once and a while..

Ovid

Lazy Saturday and I'm rewatching Season 1. I'm up to episode 8. This season still holds up really well.

Anyways, something dawned during the first couple of episodes.

Even though Bran didn't know of his abilities yet, did he somehow tap into it subconsciously while he was laying on his bed unconscious? How would the dire wolf know that Bran was about to be harmed? Was Bran "guarding" himself?

Also, when Lady died he woke up. Again, was he tapping into his abilities when she died?

I think so. The editing made it seem like there was some kind of link between him and animals, foreshadowing his warging powers. His creepy prophetic dreams start as well (3-eyed bird etc).

Ogni-XR21

Don't forget about Rickon who tells Bran that no one will come back when Rob is leaving Winterfell in season one ep 8 or 9. He seems to have some "bad feeling about this." IIRC he also mentions dreams he had at some point in the show.

Ovid

Don't forget about Rickon who tells Bran that no one will come back when Rob is leaving Winterfell in season one ep 8 or 9. He seems to have some "bad feeling about this." IIRC he also mentions dreams he had at some point in the show.
Yeah, Bran and Rickon had the same dream that they saw their father in the crypt. Then Maester Luwin them that their father had died.

Interesting fact, even without balls the penis is functional and eunuchs were used as pleasure slaves for female nobility (because no risk of pregnancy).
Eunuchs were held in extremely high regard in Muslim empires because they were the only ones who were free to go into every section of the palace, including the harem which was restricted to only women (no man other than the King/Sultan could enter a harem). As such, they were heavily involved in political intrigue with the power they had. Varys is not way off with the character :p

Loakum

Banned
I just discovered "Gay of Thrones" on Funny or Die dot com. I'm sure you're all well aware of it, but damn... I'm literally rolling around in my office chair laughing.

"If the throne was made out of cocks, they would had never got him off of it!" - Jamie Lannister

Loakum

Banned
Lazy Saturday and I'm rewatching Season 1. I'm up to episode 8. This season still holds up really well.

Anyways, something dawned during the first couple of episodes.

Even though Bran didn't know of his abilities yet, did he somehow tap into it subconsciously while he was laying on his bed unconscious? How would the dire wolf know that Bran was about to be harmed? Was Bran "guarding" himself?

Also, when Lady died he woke up. Again, was he tapping into his abilities when she died?

Also at the very beginning when Ned Stark found a Dead Dire Wolf killed by a antler of a Stag..it previews that the House Baratheon (Stag banner) would kill members of House Stark (Dire Wolf Banner).

Volimar

Also at the very beginning when Ned Stark found a Dead Dire Wolf killed by a antler of a Stag..it previews that the House Baratheon (Stag banner) would kill members of House Stark (Dire Wolf Banner).

Was it a fake stag that was actually an inbred lion?

"I'm totally against cultural phenomenon"

What does that even mean? Even if it appealed to them in every way they wouldn't watch it because it's popular? Do people like that actually exist?

I think it's actually the only genuine qualification as to what being a "Hipster" means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom