• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

spirity

"I'm totally against cultural phenomenon"

What does that even mean? Even if it appealed to them in every way they wouldn't watch it because it's popular? Do people like that actually exist?

She said ".. and Spring is coming so beware the Ides of Spring". She knows full well its Winter, it was a heavily publicized tag line but she just wanted to feign ignorance to suit her anti-popularist stance. You're not going to mistake Winter for Spring, I don't buy that at all.

Sometimes you can just tell when people are full of shit as soon as they start talking. I don't think she watches the show at all, but she knows more about it than she pretends, thats for sure.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Aren't all the wandering Starks going to the same place? Catelyn Stark sister with the creepy child?

I think he went to one of the nights watch castles near the sea. Or maybe the umbers?
But yeah sansa and arya are heading there at least

Greatjon was in the first season at Winterfell. Grey Wind bit some of his fingers off.

Edit: Actually might have been the second season?

Oh, he's the big guy who disagreed with Robb, and laughed off their disagreements after the wolf bit off his fingers ? I liked that guy.

"I'm totally against cultural phenomenon"

What does that even mean? Even if it appealed to them in every way they wouldn't watch it because it's popular? Do people like that actually exist?
A douchey hipster basically.

So I was looking at some animal symbology and came across this for the raven. :p

Raven:
Trickster, teacher, hoarder.
To Pacific Northwest Coast tribes, Raven represented the
shaman's powers and a belief in transformation between
human and animal spirits. Raven symbolizes change in
conciousness and is the mark of a shape shifter.

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but I found it quite interesting nonetheless.

Man watching S1 GOT again so many little things i forgot or missed, almost as good as watching it the first time :D

Ayra pointing the sword at Goffrey making him her bitch was awesome

ebevan91

S1 Episode 8

Greatjon started the whole king in the north thing in episode 10 if I'm not mistaken

Yes. So we can all blame him for screwing everything up. If he wouldn't have interjected, Robb probably would've declared for Stannis right there. Stannis would be King and the North would probably be left alone.

Nameless

Under Renly's terms Robb could call himself King in the North but he'd still have to swear an oath of fealty. Of all the possible outcomes that certainly would have been the best for the realm. No way the Lannisters could have withstood a Baratheon-Stark-Tyrell alliance, and the law of the land would have stayed as it was under Ned and Robert.

Ovid

Man watching S1 GOT again so many little things i forgot or missed, almost as good as watching it the first time :D

Ayra pointing the sword at Goffrey making him her bitch was awesome
I finished Season 1 last night. I choked up a bit when Ned died. He was a good man...a man of honor.

It's a shame that Joffrey was such a loose cannon and lopped his head off anyway.

El Daniel

Under Renly's terms Robb could call himself King in the North but he'd still have to swear an oath of fealty. Of all the possible outcomes that certainly would have been the best for the realm. No way the Lannisters could have withstood a Baratheon-Stark-Tyrell alliance, and the law of the land would have stayed as it was under Ned and Robert.

how do you see that? Robb siding with Renly against the Lannisters? And were do you see Stannis in that picture?

Renly will have to give up half his kingdom. What if he decides he wants it back afterward.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Awesome news. Pancreatic cancer is basically of the "fuck you, you are out" variety.

I hope he can return somewhere in the future, Arya is not nearly done yet...

Ovid

One more thing, are there any "nice" people on the this show besides Dany and the Starks?

Viserys Targaryen (aka Loki), Stannis, The Dothraki, The Lannisters, Lysa Arryan, The Greyjoys, The Nights Watch...they're all assholes to each other and to other people.

Philippo

One more thing, are there any "nice" people on the this show besides Dany and the Starks?

Viserys Targaryen (aka Loki), Stannis, The Dothraki, The Lannisters, Lysa Arryan, The Greyjoys, The Nights Watch...they're all assholes to each other and to other people.

Mmh... Davos Seaworth? I think he's the nicest of all.

Ovid

No way.

Stannis would be rightful heir to the throne as Renly is third in line of succession.

He (Stannis) would've never have accepted that (he hates Renly) and would've pressed on to Kings Landing.

What Ned did at Baelor was best for the realm. Accepting Joffrey as King, taking the black and taking the Cersi and Jamie's sexual relationship to his grave. Unfortunately what Joffrey did (executed Ned) was unexpected.

Nameless

how do you see that? Robb siding with Renly against the Lannisters? And were do you see Stannis in that picture?

Renly will have to give up half his kingdom. What if he decides he wants it back afterward.

No way.

Stannis would be rightful heir to the throne as Renly is third in line of succession.

He (Stannis) would've never have accepted that (he hates Renly) and would've pressed on to Kings Landing.

What Ned did at Baelor was best for the realm. Accepting Joffrey as King and taking the black. What Joffrey did (executed Ned) was unexpected.

Renly was more than willing provided Robb met his conditions. If so, the plan was for Renly to destroy Stannis's army ,which he likely would have in fair combat, then he and Robb would lay siege to King's Landing together.

Not saying it absolutely would have happened, only that it would have been the best case scenario for Westeros in the War of the Five Kings. We'll really never know how the chips fall if Stannis doesn't slay his brother with dark magic. It's definitely possible Robb rejects Renly's terms, and accepts nothing less than the North being recognized as a completely independent state.

edit: Ned's confession left Joffrey as ruler. An uncontested Joffrey reign isn't good for anyone.

Massa

I think you're looking at it the wrong way if you think of nice people vs evil people. The strongest thing about this series is that the characters are more complex than that.

Renly seems quite okay with that talking to Cat before his death. He said that Robb could rule the North as King as long as he swears to back Renly in the South.

Ovid

Renly was more than willing provided Robb met his conditions. If so, the plan was for Renly to destroy Stannis's army ,which he likely would have in fair combat, then he and Robb would lay siege to King's Landing together.

Not saying it absolutely would have happened, only that it would have been the best case scenario for Westeros in the War of the Five Kings. We'll really never know how the chips fall if Stannis doesn't slay his brother with dark magic. It's definitely possible Robb rejects Renly's terms, and accepts nothing less than the North being recognized as a completely independent state.
All of this shit started when Catelyn "arrested" Tyrion and Ned started asking questions. Damn those Starks :p

Cyan

Banned
I think you're looking at it the wrong way if you think of nice people vs evil people. The strongest thing about this series is that the characters are more complex than that.

I love that the woman who just ordered the death by crucifixion of hundreds of people is one of the nice ones.

El Daniel

Renly seems quite okay with that talking to Cat before his death. He said that Robb could rule the North as King as long as he swears to back Renly in the South.

I can't remember exactly, but how would that work?

Renly sits the Iron Throne and Robb is King in the North. The North stays independent yet Robb still answers to the Iron Throne.

I think at that moment it sounded alright but it would probably lead to more war.

Nerokis

Renly sits the Iron Throne and Robb is King in the North. The North stays independent yet Robb still answers to the Iron Throne.

I think at that moment it sounded alright but it would probably lead to more war.

The biggest problem with the arrangement is the entire idea that the North would splinter away, and yet the rest of the Kingdom would remain intact. I have a hard time imagining it would work out that way. Renly never seemed to take the circumstances he was in particularly seriously, and making such a deal with Robb just seemed an extension of his "what feels good is good" way of leading.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Can someone explain to me why the Iron bank would have beef with Tywin? He couldn't possibly owe them money right? I thought dude had cash for days.

Nameless

Under Renly's deal 'the King in the North' would be little more than an honorary title. Robb would still have to pledge fealty to Renly, meaning the North would ultimately fall under Renly's rule whenever he needed it.

Can someone explain to me why the Iron bank would have beef with Tywin? He couldn't possibly owe them money right? I thought dude had cash for days.

They've mentioned it once or twice that Robert put the crown into 6 million debt. I think it was mentioned in season one, and again when Tyrion was named Master of Coin.

Two separate kingdoms, with Robb swearing allegiance to Renly.

The thing about this is it's not much different than how Robert and Ned ruled. Robert knew that micromanaging the North wasn't very feasible simply due to it's vast size and how spread out everything is (or didn't care, which is more likely). Cersei agrees with this as well in an early season 1 conversation with Joffrey. She says something of the sort that the North is too large and wild to tame (with her point seemingly that if you keep the Liege Lord in the fold, the North will rule itself fine).

Nameless

If he hadn't, Ned would still have gone to KL and end up being killed.

The only person who "started it all" is Tywin Lannister.

The war became about Ned, Tywin has no reason to start anything if his son is never taken by the Starks.. Also everyone would have ridden south a lot sooner if Bran didn't get hurt.

Ned still likely investigates Jon Arryn's death, and still uncovers the Lannisters's secret, but odds are pretty slim that Robert still dies in a freakish hunting accident under different circumstances 1-2 months earlier. Chances are Ned has the opportunity to tell him about Cersei, Jaime, and their children.

Cyan

Banned
If Ned had just said no to being the Hand of the King, everything would be fine.

Until Dany shows up in a few years with dragons to murder everybody.

SamVimes

If Ned had just said no to being the Hand of the King, everything would be fine.

Until Dany shows up in a few years with dragons to murder everybody.

Unless Robert sends a killer on her way like he wanted to in the first or second episode.

El Daniel

Two separate kingdoms, with Robb swearing allegiance to Renly.

The thing about this is it's not much different than how Robert and Ned ruled. Robert knew that micromanaging the North wasn't very feasible simply due to it's vast size and how spread out everything is (or didn't care, which is more likely). Cersei agrees with this as well in an early season 1 conversation with Joffrey. She says something of the sort that the North is too large and wild to tame (with her point seemingly that if you keep the Liege Lord in the fold, the North will rule itself fine).
I don't see it working in the end. The northeners probably won't accept answering to the IT anymore since they have their own king. And Renly or the next guy on the IT will probably sooner or later start a war to get the North back. I don't think Renly would have given up the North in the first place. Yes, he made an agreement with Catelyn but words are wind.

Renly has The Reach backing him up after all and the North was already at war with the Lannisters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom