• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingK

I can't remember exactly, but how would that work?

Renly sits the Iron Throne and Robb is King in the North. The North stays independent yet Robb still answers to the Iron Throne.

I think at that moment it sounded alright but it would probably lead to more war.

I always thought Renly was essentially offering Robb an honorary title of King in the North, sort of like how the lords of Dorne is still referred to as Prince.

Some hope for those spoiled. Studies have found that spoilers don't diminish the enjoyment of a story, and may even increase it.

http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/archive/newsrel/soc/2011_08spoilers.asp

“Plots are just excuses for great writing. What the plot is is (almost) irrelevant. The pleasure is in the writing,” said Christenfeld, a UC San Diego professor of social psychology.

It's why we watch Romeo & Juliet again, even though we know they are going to die by the end (hell, even Shakespeare tells you they'll die right at the beginning: "From forth the fatal loins of these two foes / A pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life").

Unfortunately for us spoiled, we can never know if we would have been better off not knowing about the Red and Purple Weddings, as we can only experience them once. I was spoiled for both, and while I knew it was coming, but I loved the tension and building dread of the Red Wedding, and the amazing writing of the whole of Joffrey's wedding feast. There were also parts that are different from the book that no one was expecting, which means no one can fully say what happens in the TV series.

Some hope for those spoiled. Studies have found that spoilers don't diminish the enjoyment of a story, and may even increase it.

http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/archive/newsrel/soc/2011_08spoilers.asp

It's why we watch Romeo & Juliet again, even though we know they are going to die by the end (hell, even Shakespeare tells you they'll die right at the beginning: "From forth the fatal loins of these two foes / A pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life").

Unfortunately for us spoiled, we can never know if we would have been better off not knowing about the Red and Purple Weddings, as we can only experience them once. I was spoiled for both, and while I knew it was coming, but I loved the tension and building dread of the Red Wedding, and the amazing writing of the whole of Joffrey's wedding feast. There were also parts that are different from the book that no one was expecting, which means no one can fully say what happens in the TV series.
Studies can say what they want, but being spoiled for me has never been as enjoyable as when I'm completely floored when something happens that I don't expect.

Aiii

So not worth it
I can independently verify that last week my enjoyement of the ending was greatly diminished after a bunch of people told me "OMG THE ENDING OF THE EPISODE IS SO AWESOME AIII!" all day long.

And that didn't even mention the contents. I still spend the entire episode anticipating an amazing ending, greatly diminishing its impact.

Studies be damned, spoilers spoil fun. Somewhat at least.

Why does what's his face on the wall hate Jon Snow's guts so much? Did he murder his puppies? Anyway, the encounter at Craster's Keep is going to be glorious with Snow and Co vs Rast's mutineers. I just hope Locke doesn't murder those two dudes who escaped Craster's Keep in the first place in order to kidnap Jon Snow. So many ways things can go awry.

Knowing GoT, they probably will.

Why do they keep showing the razed Winterfell in the opening credits? Previous seasons have only shown the places where stuff happens (I remember thinking "ooh a new place!" when the Eyrie showed up), and there hasn't been anything going on at Winterfell this whole season (and most of last season).

Haha, blame Bran. If he kept his promise to Cat to stop climbing things none of this would have happened.
I think it was Jaime who started the chain of events that led to the red wedding. Keep in mind that Ned found out about Cersei and Jaime on his own. Jaime attacks Ned and flees. Robb Stark captures Jaime. Jaime kills Karstark's son. Cat frees Jaime because she wants her daughters. Karstark poppa gets angry and kills Lannister boys. Robb stark kills Karstark. Karstark banner withdraws from Robb's army. Robb is forced to go to Frey for replacements and the rest is history.

I think it was Jaime who started the chain of events that led to the red wedding. Keep in mind that Ned found out about Cersei and Jaime on his own. Jaime attacks Ned and flees. Robb Stark captures Jaime. Jaime kills Karstark's son. Cat frees Jaime because she wants her daughters. Karstark poppa gets angry and kills Lannister boys. Robb stark kills Karstark. Karstark banner withdraws from Robb's army. Robb is forced to go to Frey for replacements and the rest is history.

It was Talisa, that heartless wench. Robb had a plan to destroy the Lannisters. He would lose the Karstarks but he would still have the Freys, before she seduced him and made him break his vow to marry one of the Freys, which pissed off Walder Frey and caused him to plot Robb's murder.

Only a few more hours until the season is half over :(

I get this too. But not until there are 2-3 episodes left. Halfway is too early to be bummed out.

Cheer up. The glass is half full! After tonight there are still 5 episodes left, so glad the seasons only half finished!

It was Talisa, that heartless wench. Robb had a plan to destroy the Lannisters. He would lose the Karstarks but he would still have the Freys, before she seduced him and made him break his vow to marry one of the Freys, which pissed off Walder Frey and caused him to plot Robb's murder.
Man, if Tyrion was in place of Robb Stark he would have conquered the entire Westeros by now. He'd have kept Shae as well as Talisa.

Nameless

Still, Jaime likely never abandons his Kingsguard post and flees the city if the showdown with Ned over Tyrion never takes place. Ned finding out the truth just poured gas on a flame that was already burning.

Massa

Jaime attacked Ned because he wouldn't release his innocent brother, he was in the right when you think about it. Ned didn't know about the incest yet.

Wow we're going back in time now.

Speaking of which, who actually owned the dagger that was used to try to kill Bran after he fell? Was it actually Tyrion's?

sangreal

Wow we're going back in time now.

Speaking of which, who actually owned the dagger that was used to try to kill Bran after he fell? Was it actually Tyrion's?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Tyrion said something to the effect of "why would I send an assassin with my own dagger?"

edit: It's back in Season 1 episode 5: "What sort of imbecile arms an assassin with his own blade?"

Whenever I go back to old episodes it amazes me how much Tyrion actually looked like a Lannister compared to now

Nameless

Tonight's another Michelle McLaren episode! She's one of the best directors in TV, and 3 for 3 with Game of Thrones.

I agree with whoever said start the court section already. I get that it's probably the major event, but it seems to be in a weird standstill. Also more Oberyn.. more Oberyn talking shit to Lannisters would be nice. Can he randomly meet up with Jaime next, their conversation could be quite interesting. >:)

tmdorsey

I love that the woman who just ordered the death by crucifixion of hundreds of people is one of the nice ones.

To be fair, these are the same people that killed over 100 slaves for no reason other than to intimidate Dany and more than likely would have plotted to have her killed if they had lived.

To be fair, these are the same people that killed over 100 slaves for no reason other than to intimidate Dany and more than likely would have plotted to have her killed if they had lived.

Ehh, they were scum I agree, but they needed fair trial. I am with Ser Barristen on this one.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mum's cleaned up season two already, started season three. She's hooked. Loves Bronn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom