• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nameless

Damn right, I'm let down. I was complaining that there wasn't enough Varys this season and then he shows up and does this.

Edit: sorry for the double post, I should have quoted both in one go.

I also wouldn't discount the possibility that Varys was just trying to troll/intimidate the new small council member.

Koko

Banned
I didn't thought that Varys was speaking of himself when he looked to the throne. It seem more like if he was trying to influence Oberyn to make a move for power instead of just going around fucking.

Low point of the episode was Yara retreating in 5 minutes after giving a William Wallace of a speech. High point was the last 5 minutes.

Curufinwe

It's a shame we wasted so many pages earlier this season debating Margery's status after Joffrey's death when it was so obvious that Tommen would soon become king, Cersei would be Queen Regent due to his young age, and Margery would need to marry Tommen to be queen. Certain people really went out of their way to make a simple situation complicated.

Ovid

lol.

nYp7Lir.gif
Dude took out out all of Yara's men single handedly.

KHarvey16

Agreed. Varys knows sitting on that throne is dangerous. Pull the strings from the shadows is the way to go.

I didn't thought that Varys was speaking of himself when he looked to the throne. It seem more like if he was trying to influence Oberyn to make a move for power instead of just going around fucking.

Yeah. And am I thinking of something else or has Varys said explicitly that he wouldn't want it? Or maybe that it's not where the power lies or something?

Dinklage was award-tier but Theon's actor also was very good in this episode.

The whole Ramsay/Reek thing is way harder for me to watch than the actual torture scenes.
I hadn't realize how much of a pet he was, i thought he acted like it but in fact in his head he IS a dog. That's.... Wow.

NimbusD

I cant believe Shea butter did my man dirty like that.
It was a quick frame but there was a look on Cersei's face while Tyrion was giving his speech.
It looked as if deep down shes knows that he's innocent.

Varys did him dirty too. How was that for the good of the realm ?

Im assuming varys knows who actually did it... because varys knows all. If he does that means his options are letting tyrion die, or implicating house Tyrell in the murder of Joffrey and prolonging the war when they obviously have bigger things to worry about.

Nameless

But why him though? I didn't notice any reason to believe he would have any ill feelings towards him.

Nothing malicious. Just posturing and playing up to that mysterious reputation of his.

Who knows, though. He's the only person remotely aware of just how dangerous Littlefinger is an the scope of his desires. Perhaps Varys really does see himself as the realm's only hope.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
So it looks like Theon has the stockholm syndrome now. I have no idea what GRRM is doing with this character.

That shit was hard to watch, his entire story line is basically a drawn out torture scene. I'm hoping his master (forget his name) does get a little overconfident and sends him in as a spy but he gets caught/saved before he can return or help them.

If he actually helps them sack his own castle I will just die

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Nothing malicious. Just posturing and playing up to that mysterious reputation of his.

Who knows, though. He's the only person remotely aware of just how dangerous Littlefinger is an the scope of his desires. Perhaps Varys really does see himself as the realm's only hope.

It seemed like before this he was putting all his money on Tyrion to beat Littlefinger, now that it isn't an option anymore you're probably right.

mr2xxx

Banned
Brothers want to fuck their dad over so Jaime will volunteer to fight. Jaime loses and that's it for the Lannister name as far as the dad is concerned. Your move Tywin.

potam

Banned
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck I love Tyrion. I am a bit surprised that he mentioned Joffrey's being a bastard in his little speech, and no one seemed to react. I assume that they've all heard the rumors, but I figured Tyrion would be like "you wanna know some REAL shit?"

Nameless

So it looks like Theon has the stockholm syndrome now. I have no idea what GRRM is doing with this character.

Some people complained that they spent too much time on Theon's torture last season, but seeing where things are now it was necessary. I actually buy Theon as a broken reconditioned devotee of Ramsay Snow after seeing the process of him being subjected to escalating mental & physical abuse and manipulations over an extended period of time.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck I love Tyrion. I am a bit surprised that he mentioned Joffrey's being a bastard in his little speech, and no one seemed to react. I assume that they've all heard the rumors, but I figured Tyrion would be like "you wanna know some REAL shit?"

Makes me wonder what Jamie's reaction is to Tyrion saying it. He can't be happy about it.

JoeBoy101

Fully expecting the fight to be Bronn and Jamie. Jamie as Kingsguard will be chosen by Tywin. Naturally, Tyrion will go with Bronn. This all be foreshadowed by their training together.

And I'm going to FUCKING hate it, because I love them both, but if they both get chosen, one of them will die.

Was there any point that he and Littlefinger came to an agreement?

Fully expecting the fight to be Bronn and Jamie. Jamie as Kingsguard will be chosen by Tywin. Naturally, Tyrion will go with Bronn. This all be foreshadowed by their training together.

And I'm going to FUCKING hate it, because I love them both, but if they both get chosen, one of them will die.

I think a lot of people are forgetting that Jamie only has his left hand, which wasn't his fighting arm, and outside of Tyrion and Bronn, no one know's he's been training so I think most wouldn't choose him.

Perhaps them training was a foreshadowing of the contest though.

Also, who gets to pick who fights? Is it the accuser, Cercei. Or the Jury.

Ploid 3.0

So how does trial by combat work exactly? Wouldn't this allow for the best fighters to get away with their crimes by calling upon this?

They believe the gods directly control the outcome of trial by combat. The Dog has been in many trial by combats and the last one he was surely guilty but overcame it, it turned out to be a good thing since he's protecting Aria now, and she wanted him to die in that trial.

JoeBoy101

I think a lot of people are forgetting that Jamie only has his left hand, which wasn't his fighting arm, and outside of Tyrion and Bronn, no one know's he's been training so I think most wouldn't choose him.

Perhaps them training was a foreshadowing of the contest though.

Also, who gets to pick who fights? Is it the accuser, Cercei. Or the Jury.

Well, last time Tyrion was in this situation, it was with Lady Arryn, so that's a bad example. My assumption is Cersei, who would choose Jamie more than likely. If not, its Tywin, who would likely choose Jamie. Then it boils down to who Tyrion picks.

Nameless

It seemed like before this he was putting all his money on Tyrion to beat Littlefinger, now that it isn't an option anymore you're probably right.

Could you imagine Varys vs Littlefinger with the gloves completely off. Game of Thrones would become impossible to follow as the show would turn into an hour of audience being lied to week after week.

Well, last time Tyrion was in this situation, it was with Lady Arryn, so that's a bad example. My assumption is Cersei, who would choose Jamie more than likely. If not, its Tywin, who would likely choose Jamie. Then it boils down to who Tyrion picks.

I don't think Tywin would choose Jamie, he risks having him killed and losing any chance of his name being carried on.

And again, the missing hand. Everyone think's he's no longer a capable fighter. No one know's he's been training. I just can't see anyone picking him other than Tyrion.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Could you imagine Varys vs Littlefinger with the gloves completely off. Game of Thrones would become impossible to follow as the show would turn into an hour of audience being lied to week after week.

Then it's a good thing they're no longer in direct contact.

Nameless

Was there any point that he and Littlefinger came to an agreement?

They've tolerated each other, even expressed fondness & respect for one another, but there's never been an agreement. Both have kept their rivalry mostly friendly, though I suspect that's mostly due to their being smart enough to choose their enemies wisely.

inm8num2

"I've been on trial my entire life."

The delivery was perfect.

So I guess Jamie will champion Tyrion. Damn, that's going to be really interesting.

I wish Tyrion told Shae that he called her a whore because it was the only way she would leave and her life could be saved. Tywin wanted her for questioning that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom