• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 4 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know that a trial by combat is to the death? I kind of want both champions to survive plus tyrion, but Oberyn has been way to confident and smooth so far, I want to see him get knocked down a peg or two, not just cooly get his revenge.

in the two instances we have seen i believe they were both to the death. even though the brotherhood guy came back

Starts a war with the Lannisters, and then Kings Landing since Cersei has been the Queen this entire time. I would assume he doesn't want his country to go to war with several countries under Kings Landing's rule just for his revenge. Now he gets to do cleaner while throwing middle fingers to Tywin in the process.

But isn't volunteering to be Tyrion's champion just a round about way of doing the same thing? I don't see how that's any less insulting to the Lannisters than hunting down and killing the mountain.

Amey

So if Oberyn wants to kill the mountain so badly why hasn't he done so already? As second in line to be prince I'd assume he would have the resources to hunt him down?

Anyways great episode and super excited to see how the fight goes down... just sad that we have to wait 2 weeks.

That'd start a war. Dorne vs Lannisters+Highgarden+King. Not a good equation.
Dorne has been at peace for ages.

But isn't volunteering to be Tyrion's champion just a round about way of doing the same thing? I don't see how that's any less insulting to the Lannisters than hunting down and killing the mountain.
It's not about being insulting, he wants it to be insulting. If you do it legally, they can't start a war for it. If he hunts him down, he starts a war with several countries. Remember Tywin's speech about marrying the Tyrells and stopping their plan to get Sansa on their side? It's not public knowledge, so it's fine if they battle it behind the curtains.

Because that would be murdering one of the Lannister's top Knights, and a bannerman. This way, he can completely legally kill the Mountain if he wins the duel with no consequences.

OK this makes more sense to me. But I can already see it on Tywin's face how pissed off he's going to be when Oberyn volunteers.

Do we know that a trial by combat is to the death? I kind of want both champions to survive plus tyrion, but Oberyn has been way to confident and smooth so far, I want to see him get knocked down a peg or two, not just cooly get his revenge.

THG-stills-the-hunger-games-movie-29947854-500-350.png

Believe

It's not about being insulting, he wants it to be insulting. If you do it legally, they can't start a war for it. If he hunts him down, he starts a war with several countries. Remember Tywin's speech about marrying the Tyrells and stopping their plan to get Sansa on their side? It's not public knowledge, so it's fine if they battle it behind the curtains.

Ah OK, forgot about that scene. It does make more sense now that you guys pointed out he wants to do it legally and not start a war.

What is up with the Mountain just slaughtering random dudes in King's Landing? The fuck is even happening? Seems like the producers just wanted this violent moment to remind us who he is, but in what reality do you just send dudes in to get murdered for no reason like that?

I would bet that is not in the book. "Clegane is in some kind of training session murdering random homeless people as Cersei approaches." Yeah doubt it.

Haha it probably isn't in the books, but they could have been criminals and The Mountain was just named champion, so he demanded some training. I hope we see a little more of him before the fight next episode to add to the hype.

earlier in the season when little finger returns to lady starks sister and she says she poisoned her husband for him and told her sister a lie or something what was the lie? has it been revealed yet?

Violet_0

Banned
earlier in the season when little finger returns to lady starks sister and she says she poisoned her husband for him and told her sister a lie or something what was the lie? has it been revealed yet?

she wrote a letter to her sister saying the Lannisters were responsible for the death of her husband

The new guy who plays the Mountain looked a little goofy with the sword in those training scenes. LIke his arms are almost too big to be wielding it properly.

Braag

It is to the death, they even discussed it in the episode how Jaime would die or Bronn would die against The Mountain and how they can't risk it.

Violet_0

Banned
oh ok thanks. but why did she do that? what was the motive behind it?

Littlefinger told her to write it to cover up the fact that he assassinated the Hand of the King (which then set in motion all the events that led to Ned's death). She did it because she was in love with him

Mr.Mike

What is up with the Mountain just slaughtering random dudes in King's Landing? The fuck is even happening? Seems like the producers just wanted this violent moment to remind us who he is, but in what reality do you just send dudes in to get murdered for no reason like that?

I would bet that is not in the book. "Clegane is in some kind of training session murdering random homeless people as Cersei approaches." Yeah doubt it.

I got the impression that they were criminals of some sort. Which did piss me off that they weren't being sent north to the wall.

King Boo

To me it seemed while the kiss caught Sansa off guard, she rolled with it. She didn't grimace or pull back, she closed her eyes and went for it. Out of context it looks just like a normal first kiss between two people with mutual feelings for each other.

GOT11-1.gif

It will be much more interesting if Sansa falls for Baelish and agrees to marry him willingly, as opposed to her being forced into it and slinking back into to that listless hostage role.

At first I thought killing Lysa like that was an odd move since Robin retains claim to the Vale, but maybe that's how Littlefinger wants it. Tywin has proven time and again that influence can be every bit as effective as direct ownership. Like Tommen, Robin is little more as a figure head. Baelish is second in line, but holds all the power. If his ultimate goal is the Iron Throne, it doesn't matter if Robin is Lord of the Vale, in fact it's probably better to have someone who's supremely loyal to you in place as a ruler of a major territory.

i would like that if only it concluded in a similar way the movie hard candy ended, and no one sees it coming because it was her turn to be the trickster

I think they generally do an extraordinary job with the casting, but the Mountain is supposed to be the Hound's elder brother, only he looks like he's about 20 years younger. Couldn't they have at least put some makeup on the guy to make him look like a grizzled war veteran? He looks like a cherub with a beard.

Other than that, the episode was fantastic. I just found out that there are two weeks before the next episode, which is tragic.

Blader

Considering their shackles, I assume they were prisoners.

He needs to practice on something.

Booties

Banned
I don't get why to mountain wasn't a more visible character in the series. They knew this was going to happen. I would guess it's either an overcite not building up his character, or there just wasn't enough air time for it. IMO they should do about 50% less Dany/Stanis scenes and show us more ancillary characters.

^That's kind of ridiculous. What happened with the first Mountain? He looked so perfect. Did he sign on to some other project or something?

This show is so excellent, but the constant re-casts can be pretty obnoxious. It's totally dismissible with Tommen, and they could probably change Rickon without me noticing since we haven't seen him in forever and he'll probably hit puberty next time we see him. But the 3 Mountains all look so different, and the Daario recast was quite distracting.

Mr.Mike

I don't get why to mountain wasn't a more visible character in the series. They knew this was going to happen. I would guess it's either an overcite not building up his character, or there just wasn't enough air time for it. IMO they should do about 50% less Dany/Stanis scenes and show us more ancillary characters.

But the Stannis story is heading somewhere now. I suspect we might see the conclusion of that story arc soon, one way or another. (I'm fairly sure they're heading to King's Landing)

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It is to the death, they even discussed it in the episode how Jaime would die or Bronn would die against The Mountain and how they can't risk it.
Just because the mountain might well kill them doesn't mean that it has to be to the death. Considering how poorly the mountains one line of dialog was delivered I've got a feeling he doesn't have a long complex story ahead of him no matter the outcome, it just seems like it would be fitting to have him meet his brother again, who has become my favorite character.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Just because the mountain might well kill them doesn't mean that it has to be to the death. Considering how poorly the mountains one line of dialog was delivered I've got a feeling he doesn't have a long complex story ahead of him no matter the outcome, it just seems like it would be fitting to have him meet his brother again, who has become my favorite character.

Wouldn't it also be fitting for him to hear his brother was killed by a smaller, less armored dude after telling Arya a few weeks ago that, "bigger sword, bigger armour" always wins?

Booties

Banned
But the Stannis story is heading somewhere now. I suspect we might see the conclusion of that story arc soon, one way or another. (I'm fairly sure they're heading to King's Landing)

Where are they sailing to? I just don't see anything happening as far as his claim to the throne because even with all the money in braavos and their ships he still only has 2,000 men. Unless they hire sell swords, which I doubt, it's still going to be a while before he attacks.

Mr.Mike

Where are they sailing to? I just don't see anything happening as far as his claim to the throne because even with all the money in braavos and their ships he still only has 2,000 men. Unless they hire sell swords, which I doubt, it's still going to be a while before he attacks.

The timing would be a bit off to be honest, but the way I see, if this invasion of Kings Landing is going to happen it's going to happen by the end of this season. Or else it'd happen at the end of the next season, dragging out over the entire season. I'd like to think that the show writers have heard people's complaints about dragging storylines out and would avoid doing so.

And I don't think that all of the story lines are necessarily happening all at the same time, in the order they are showed.

Macka

Okay...as of this episode I need some clarification on how to pronounce Arya's name.

I've always heard it as 'Aria' [Arr-ee-yah] but almost everyone in this ep seemed to be saying 'Arr-yah'. I just checked a scene in a random older episode for comparison and in S02E02 when Gendry discovers Arya is a Stark (I've been pissing in front of you!) she definitely pronounces it 'Aria'...so now I'm really confused!

Okay...as of this episode I need some clarification on how to pronounce Arya's name.

I've always heard it as 'Aria' [Arr-ee-yah] but almost everyone in this ep seemed to be saying 'Arr-yah'. I just checked a scene in a random older episode for comparison and in S02E02 when Gendry discovers Arya is a Stark (I've been pissing in front of you!) she definitely pronounces it 'Aria'...so now I'm really confused!

What you're describing just sounds like the difference between someone saying the name quickly and colloquially vs. just with a little more articulation.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

It's all dependent on the accent of the speaker. Both ways are technically correct. Brienne herself sounded like she called her "Aya".

Macka

What you're describing just sounds like the difference between someone saying the name quickly and colloquially vs. just with a little more articulation.
It's all dependent on the accent of the speaker. Both ways are technically correct. Brienne herself sounded like she called her "Aya".
Yeah, probably. I just found it weird since Arya herself pronounced her name 'Arr-yah' in this episode in the scene where the guy was dying (so she was hardly rushing), and usually she says Aria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom